Tatum VS Luka

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who's the better player overall?

Tatum
27%
Luka
73%

Total votes: 767

GOATTatum
Junior
And1: 551

Re: Tatum VS Luka 

Post#541 » by GOATTatum » Sat May 21, 2022 7:54 pm

ConstableChaos wrote:if celtics call mavs to trade JT for LD mavs hang up immediately

Mavs call celtics - Celtics have a meeting first then likely hang up

Brad Stevens has Cuban fly to Boston just to laugh hysterically in his face.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,175

Post#542 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:56 pm

playa-hater wrote:Luka literally may be the worst-laziest defender in the league.. that is Not a stretch by any means. Stop looking at box-score stats.. watch the games. Luka is horrifically bad straight up man or in help..

With the ball in his hands Luka is great. everything else he is near all time lazy-bad.

Tatum is such an easy choice for me. But then again I like my players to play both sides of the ball. Tatum plays both sides (offensive/defensive) at a ridiculous level.

But it is. I definitely think you can make a great case that Tatum's edge on the defensive end is huge and that could be enough to put him over Luka overall. But ya there is no way to make the argument that Luka is the worst-laziest defender in the league. I mean the gap between Luka and the worst-laziest defender the Warriors have played in the last 10 days is huge. Luka isnt anywhere near Ja level bad on the defensive end. You can throw in Trae Young into this as well, I mean Luka's defense hasnt been anywhere close to how bad Donovan Mitchell was on the defensive end in the 1st round.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,399

Post#543 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 7:59 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:But it is. I definitely think you can make a great case that Tatum's edge on the defensive end is huge and that could be enough to put him over Luka overall. But ya there is no way to make the argument that Luka is the worst-laziest defender in the league. I mean the gap between Luka and the worst-laziest defender the Warriors have played in the last 10 days is huge. Luka isnt anywhere near Ja level bad on the defensive end. You can throw in Trae Young into this as well, I mean Luka's defense hasnt been anywhere close to how bad Donovan Mitchell was on the defensive end in the 1st round.

"Worst" seems pretty rough. But he sure isn't showing amazing effort. He's pretty bad about moving his feet on D, about fully committing to rotations and close-outs and stuff like that. He is a sloppy, sloppy defender. I think he does better at POA than he does as a help defender. He can shade a guy pretty well and he hits the defensive boards very well. Much past that and he doesn't seem to have the engagement to do it right most of the time. There are, however, definitely worse defensive players. And notably worse.
GeorgeGervin
Junior
And1: 331

Post#544 » by GeorgeGervin » Sat May 21, 2022 8:05 pm

playa-hater wrote:Luka literally may be the worst-laziest defender in the league.. that is Not a stretch by any means. Stop looking at box-score stats.. watch the games. Luka is horrifically bad straight up man or in help..

With the ball in his hands Luka is great. everything else he is near all time lazy-bad.

Tatum is such an easy choice for me. But then again I like my players to play both sides of the ball. Tatum plays both sides (offensive/defensive) at a ridiculous level.

The laziest defender in the world title goes to Westbrook no question about it.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,175

Post#545 » by Duke4life831 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:09 pm

tsherkin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:But it is. I definitely think you can make a great case that Tatum's edge on the defensive end is huge and that could be enough to put him over Luka overall. But ya there is no way to make the argument that Luka is the worst-laziest defender in the league. I mean the gap between Luka and the worst-laziest defender the Warriors have played in the last 10 days is huge. Luka isnt anywhere near Ja level bad on the defensive end. You can throw in Trae Young into this as well, I mean Luka's defense hasnt been anywhere close to how bad Donovan Mitchell was on the defensive end in the 1st round.

"Worst" seems pretty rough. But he sure isn't showing amazing effort. He's pretty bad about moving his feet on D, about fully committing to rotations and close-outs and stuff like that. He is a sloppy, sloppy defender. I think he does better at POA than he does as a help defender. He can shade a guy pretty well and he hits the defensive boards very well. Much past that and he doesn't seem to have the engagement to do it right most of the time. There are, however, definitely worse defensive players. And notably worse.

Yup and that's the point. There is no need to say he may literally be the worst-laziest defender in the league. Because that just obviously isnt true. While you can easily just make the point of, "Tatum in the playoffs has been an elite defensive player, while Luka in the playoffs has been singled out by opposing teams over and over again as the weak point in their team defensively". And that would be 100% true.

But ya you just lose me when someone goes all the way to "worst" defender. Because again it was 2 weeks ago I was watching Ja getting abused defensively on a completely different level. Ive watched Trae since he's entered the league. And if we want to talk more on just the lazy aspect of it, I watched Donovan Mitchell put zero effort in on the defensive end and put in one of the worst defensive efforts Ive seen in the playoffs from someone who isnt limited from a physical standpoint.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#546 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 8:10 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Yup and that's the point. There is no need to say he is may literally be the worst-laziest defender in the league. Because that just obviously isnt true. While you can easily just make the point of, "Tatum in the playoffs has been an elite defensive player, while Luka in the playoffs has been singled out by opposing teams over and over again as the weak point in their team defensively". And that would be 100% true.

But ya you just lose me someone goes all the way to "worst" defender. Because again it was 2 weeks ago I was watching Ja getting abused defensively on a completely different level. Ive watched Trae since he's entered the league. And if we want to talk more on just the lazy aspect of it, I watched Donovan Mitchell put zero effort in on the defensive end and put in one of the worst defensive efforts Ive seen in the playoffs from someone who isnt limited from a physical standpoint.

Yeah, that level of hyperbole steals some efficacy from a given line of commentary, no doubt!
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,158

Post#547 » by slick_watts » Sat May 21, 2022 8:12 pm

it was close this year. but luka is putting up 32/9/8 on 58% ts and 40% usage ( ! ) career for the playoffs at age 23. about 1000 minutes so far. that's bonkers.

the only conclusion i can make is that he is coming into the regular season out of shape and just improving as the year goes on and by the time the playoffs come he's going nuclear. i would take luka fairly easily. i'm not sure where tatum goes from here. but if luka can figure out an offseason regimen and make those playoffs numbers a regular season thing, he's an all time great irrespective of his defense.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#548 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 8:13 pm

slick_watts wrote:it was close this year. but luka is putting up 32/9/8 on 58% ts and 40% usage ( ! ) career for the playoffs at age 23. about 1000 minutes so far. that's bonkers.

It is. Small add, 59.0% TS, which is +2.4% rTS. Having another big-lift postseason, very impressive stuff.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,282

Post#549 » by jfs1000d » Sat May 21, 2022 8:13 pm

Arsenal wrote:Is this real? OP should be ashamed of making such a ridiculous thread.

Jayson Tatum may be the MOST overrated player in the league.

Lol.

Tatum is top 6-8 in nba. He is an elite scorer. No idea why the above post said he is overrated.

Tatum a better two-way player than Luka. Luka a more gifted passer than Tatum. Luka is a better offensive player. The guy is incredible. Tatum, defensively is better, and it isnt even close.

A lot of people on realgm get bent out of shape about Tatum. It is hilarious to see it in action.

Both are future mvp candidates. I would lean Luka, since Luka has the ball a lot more and creates more with his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#550 » by tsherkin » Sat May 21, 2022 8:14 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Is this real? OP should be ashamed of making such a ridiculous thread.

Jayson Tatum may be the MOST overrated player in the league.

Lol.

Tatum is top 6-8 in nba. He is an elite scorer. No idea why the above post said he is overrated.

Tatum a better two-way player than Luka. Luka a more gifted passer than Tatum. Luka is a better offensive player. The guy is incredible. Tatum, defensively is better, and it isnt even close.

A lot of people on realgm get bent out of shape about Tatum. It is hilarious to see it in action.

Both are future mvp candidates. I would lean Luka, since Luka has the ball a lot more and creates more with his passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is pretty fair. There is a large defensive gap which definitely mitigates some of the offensive gap, and it's not an unreasonable conversation to have. THere are things for both of these players that some will want to kvetch about, no doubt, but both are remarkable young talents.
dygaction
General Manager
And1: 4,860

Post#551 » by dygaction » Sat May 21, 2022 8:26 pm

They are close and no need to bad mouth one to prop the other. Duncan was great because he outperformed Dirk and KG, two other greats. If you have to argue KG and Dirk to be not top 50 worthy, then Duncan's achievements would also be discounted.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,514

Post#552 » by Big J » Sun May 22, 2022 3:15 am

3-14 with 6 turns for Tatum. Luka would never…
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#553 » by life_saver » Sun May 22, 2022 3:17 am

Celtics would be huge favorites to win the title if they had Luka instead of Tatum. Now I am not even sure whether they can make finals..this is coming from someone who thought Celtics would be beating Heat comfortably.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 15,663

Post#554 » by GSP » Sun May 22, 2022 3:18 am

Even with Lukas bad defense Im taking him for sure. This was one of the most embarrassing performances Ive ever seen from a star.

Never seen the best player on a team SINGLE HANDEDLY lose his team the game like this in a playoff game. Un **** real. If Tatum was out after the injury and we stay with Pritchard we mightve won the game. I was groaning when Jayson checked back in
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#555 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun May 22, 2022 3:19 am

yikes another curryesque performance from goatum. he keeps breaking records for all time worst playoff performances.
if luka did that yeah no one would be following him hes not luka. finally choking ended this debate.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#556 » by tsherkin » Sun May 22, 2022 3:21 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:yikes another curryesque performance from goatum. he keeps breaking records for all time worst playoff performances.
if luka did that yeah no one would be following him hes not luka. finally choking ended this debate.

"Curryesque."

Could you be MORE of a troll, lol.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#557 » by _qubik » Sun May 22, 2022 3:21 am

Yeah, it was ridiculous on the offensive end tonight
bfchs123
Senior
And1: 1,549

Post#558 » by bfchs123 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:22 am

DroseReturnChi wrote:yikes another curryesque performance from goatum. he keeps breaking records for all time worst playoff performances.

Don't worry, Luka getting swept
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#559 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun May 22, 2022 3:22 am

slick_watts wrote:it was close this year. but luka is putting up 32/9/8 on 58% ts and 40% usage ( ! ) career for the playoffs at age 23. about 1000 minutes so far. that's bonkers.

the only conclusion i can make is that he is coming into the regular season out of shape and just improving as the year goes on and by the time the playoffs come he's going nuclear. i would take luka fairly easily. i'm not sure where tatum goes from here. but if luka can figure out an offseason regimen and make those playoffs numbers a regular season thing, he's an all time great irrespective of his defense.

you keep mentioning high usage but not everyone can do that. not steph,kd or tatum.
high usage is a skill itself just like offball. kidd the smartest guy rn has no problem overrelying.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,231
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#560 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 22, 2022 3:34 am

Always felt Tatum was a bit too jump shot heavy for my taste.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to The General Board