Who's the G.O.A.T. ?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who's the G.O.A.T. ?

Michael Jordan
61%
LeBron James
25%
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5%
Bill Russell
3%
Wilt Chamberlain
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 843

ShaqAttac
Rookie
And1: 342

Re: Who's the G.O.A.T. ? 

Post#561 » by ShaqAttac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:41 am

JordansBulls wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:I wasn’t referring to Hondo. I was referring to Cousy who won league mvp and Heinsohn who was ROY. Also Pippen was with Barkley and Hakeem and lost in round 1 which was two mvp players while winning it all with MJ year before.

oh. so two players he literally won a bunch of chips without? crazy. which one of cousy and heinsohn was on the team when he beat a superteam in 69?

Hondo had a better PER and had double the win shares as Russell in 1969 in the playoffs. Bailey Howell had a higher PER and WS as well. Not to mention someone else won finals mvp.

P E R

that finals mvp missed the playoffs without russ carryin him
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,119

Post#562 » by NZB2323 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:51 am

ShaqAttac wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:oh. so two players he literally won a bunch of chips without? crazy. which one of cousy and heinsohn was on the team when he beat a superteam in 69?

Hondo had a better PER and had double the win shares as Russell in 1969 in the playoffs. Bailey Howell had a higher PER and WS as well. Not to mention someone else won finals mvp.

P E R

Jerry West won Finals MVP.

But Hondo did win 2 Championships without Russell.

In the 69 Finals Hondo averaged 28, 11, and 4 on 46/85 shooting splits. Russell averaged 9, 21, and 5 on 40/58 shooting splits.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,878

Post#563 » by Chanel Bomber » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:55 am

ShaqAttac wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:and? 1969 was 13 yrs later. russell won a bunch without hondo. Jordan didnt win **** without pip n jackson.

Maybe that's because he spent most of his career with Pippen and over half of his career in Chicago with Phil?

Unless you expected MJ to be peak MJ since his rookie season. I don't think that's a fair expectation, so how are we holding that against him?

he prob had more help in 90 n 95 than russ did in 69. and russ still beat a superteam while he was bout to retire. mj didnt win either.

The Bulls were the superteam as soon as they won their first championship up until they were disbanded. How are we holding that against them? Did they need to be worse and have lower expectations placed upon and then win as the underdog to validate their greatness? I don't see how this argument is pertinent tbh.
Taj FTW
Starter
And1: 2,850

Post#564 » by Taj FTW » Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:56 am

NZB2323 wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Hondo had a better PER and had double the win shares as Russell in 1969 in the playoffs. Bailey Howell had a higher PER and WS as well. Not to mention someone else won finals mvp.

P E R

In the 69 Finals Hondo averaged 28, 11, and 4 on 46/85 shooting splits. Russell averaged 9, 21, and 5 on 40/58 shooting splits.

A mere roleplayer Hondo was! My favorite part is that he keeps doubling down that Havlicek was just a roleplayer :lol:
ShaqAttac
Rookie

Post#565 » by ShaqAttac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:03 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Maybe that's because he spent most of his career with Pippen and over half of his career in Chicago with Phil?

Unless you expected MJ to be peak MJ since his rookie season. I don't think that's a fair expectation, so how are we holding that against him?

he prob had more help in 90 n 95 than russ did in 69. and russ still beat a superteam while he was bout to retire. mj didnt win either.

The Bulls were the superteam as soon as they won their first championship up until they were disbanded. How are we holding that against them? Did they need to be worse and have lower expectations placed upon and then win as the underdog to validate their greatness? I don't see how this argument is pertinent tbh.

coz they were only a superteam with stupid good help while russ led a BETTER SUPERTEAM that kept winnin even when the help wasn't super against other superteams

bulls didnt win in 94 n 95 and were already really good when they didnt win in 90. celtics only lost when russ missed half a series n when russ faced a goat-team in his 1st year as a player-coach

u really gon tell me what mj did is as good as what russ did? if mj made his teams the best in the league every year no matter what like russ did, then maybe mj's expectations woulda been higher
ShaqAttac
Rookie

Post#566 » by ShaqAttac » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:06 am

NZB2323 wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Hondo had a better PER and had double the win shares as Russell in 1969 in the playoffs. Bailey Howell had a higher PER and WS as well. Not to mention someone else won finals mvp.

P E R

he won 2 championships when he and his team got alot better than they were in 69. cool slashline tho. im sure those 28 points was why the celtics won 11-rings on D not O. talk about **** stupid.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,206

Post#567 » by mowcrowbar » Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:13 am

Victor Khryapa.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,188

Post#568 » by twyzted » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:32 pm

Well seems we can make this official, even with pc board coming Jordan has 60% of the votes.

Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#569 » by NZB2323 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:50 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:P E R

he won 2 championships when he and his team got alot better than they were in 69. cool slashline tho. im sure those 28 points was why the celtics won 11-rings on D not O. talk about **** stupid.

You need offense and defense to win a championship. Shaq averaged around 28 ppg when the Lakers threepeated.

Russell is probably the greatest defensive player of all time, but he played with great offensive players. Bob Cousy won a MVP. Hondo won Finals MVP.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,645

Post#570 » by 70sFan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:06 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

You need offense and defense to win a championship. Shaq averaged around 28 ppg when the Lakers threepeated.

Russell is probably the greatest defensive player of all time, but he played with great offensive players. Bob Cousy won a MVP. Hondo won Finals MVP.

Yeah, mentioning Hondo and Cousy in the same post you compare Russell to Shaq, while Shaq got all those titles with a player who was significantly better than any player Russell played with. You also said that you need both offense and defense, but Shaq never provided a heavy lifting on defense.

We have seen Russell winning without Cousy. We have seen him winning without Havlicek. We haven't seen Shaq winning without any superstar on his team.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#571 » by NZB2323 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:14 pm

ShaqAttac wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:and? 1969 was 13 yrs later. russell won a bunch without hondo. Jordan didnt win **** without pip n jackson.

Maybe that's because he spent most of his career with Pippen and over half of his career in Chicago with Phil?

1990 playoffs:
Pippen: 19, 7, and 7, 57 TS%, 18.7 PER
1 other teammate scored double digits.

1969 playoffs:
Havlicek: 25, 10, and 6, 54 TS%, 19.5 PER
5 other teammates scored double digits.

1995 playoffs:
Pippen: 18, 9, and 6, 55 TS%, 18.9 PER
2 other teammates scored double digits.

Havlicek won 2 championships without Russell. Pippen won 0 championships without Jordan. Havlicek has more Finals MVPs, all-stars, all-NBA 1st teams, and all-NBA 2nd teams. Pippen has more all-Defensive First teams, but they didn't have all-Defensive First teams for the first 6 years of Havlicek's career.

To me the year that's really impressive for Jordan is 98. Pippen had surgery during the season and only played in 44 games. Rodman was an aging alcaholic who was doing WWE during the Finals who washed out of the league afterwards. The 98 Bulls are the oldest team to ever win a championship, and we've seen how hard it is for an old team to win it all with the 2022 LA Lakers and Lebron's tweet that he deleted where he asked people who keep talking about how his team was too old and to keep up that same energy during the season.

Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals is the only Finals game where a player outscored all of his teammates. Jordan had 45 and his teammates scored 42. When Russell won game 7 of the 1969 Finals he scored 6 points and his teammates scored 102. I know defense is important also, but Jordan made the all-NBA defensive 1st team in 1998 and stole the ball from Malone at the end.
NZB2323
RealGM

Post#572 » by NZB2323 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:22 pm

70sFan wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
ShaqAttac wrote:

Yeah, mentioning Hondo and Cousy in the same post you compare Russell to Shaq, while Shaq got all those titles with a player who was significantly better than any player Russell played with. You also said that you need both offense and defense, but Shaq never provided a heavy lifting on defense.

We have seen Russell winning without Cousy. We have seen him winning without Havlicek. We haven't seen Shaq winning without any superstar on his team.

I wasn't comparing Russell to Shaq; I was saying that offense is important to winning a championship and a player who scores 28 ppg during a playoff run is a significant contributor. ShaqAttac keeps downplaying Havlicek as a role player and saying that Russell beat a superteam in 69 by himself so I was making the point that Havlicek scored about the same number of points in the 69 playoff run as Shaq did in the 2000-2002 playoff runs.

I have Russell ranked ahead of Shaq all time. I have Shaq ranked ahead of Havlicek. My only point is that Havlicek wasn't a role player.
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,645

Post#573 » by 70sFan » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:25 pm

NZB2323 wrote:
70sFan wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:

I wasn't comparing Russell to Shaq; I was saying that offense is important to winning a championship and a player who scores 28 ppg during a playoff run is a significant contributor. ShaqAttac keeps downplaying Havlicek as a role player and saying that Russell beat a superteam in 69 by himself so I was making the point that Havlicek scored about the same number of points in the 69 playoff run as Shaq did in the 2000-2002 playoff runs.

I have Russell ranked ahead of Shaq all time.

Havlicek wasn't a roleplayer, certainly not. He couldn't lead Celtics to the playoffs without another star next to him though, I think that's his point - not that Russell won the title by himself. No player ever won the title by himself.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#574 » by JordansBulls » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:10 pm

mowcrowbar wrote:Victor Khryapa.

Who?
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 578

Post#575 » by Fantastik_Goat » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:39 pm

dynamic duo wrote:Image

*260 playoff games.

lebron has now been the clear-cut best player in the finals 8 times and is still the best in the world in his 17th/18th season, east... west... don't matter, lebron is a one man dynasty.

Now do it against KAJ
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#576 » by Lalouie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:41 pm

who's under 30

born in the millenium
born in the last 30yrs
born in the last 40yrs
born in the last 50yrs
born in the last 60yrs
born in the last 70yrs
jc23
RealGM
And1: 11,016

Post#577 » by jc23 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:45 pm

When people ask me who the GOAT is i just give them a link to this poll.
Be curious, Not judgmental
ShaqAttac
Rookie

Post#578 » by ShaqAttac » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:26 pm

70sFan wrote:
NZB2323 wrote:
70sFan wrote:Yeah, mentioning Hondo and Cousy in the same post you compare Russell to Shaq, while Shaq got all those titles with a player who was significantly better than any player Russell played with. You also said that you need both offense and defense, but Shaq never provided a heavy lifting on defense.

I have Russell ranked ahead of Shaq all time.

Havlicek wasn't a roleplayer, certainly not. He couldn't lead Celtics to the playoffs without another star next to him though, I think that's his point - not that Russell won the title by himself. No player ever won the title by himself.

they werent even as good as the mj-less bulls in 71 right? the "russ had way more help" **** is just a stupid excuse
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,155

Post#579 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:29 pm

twyzted wrote:Well seems we can make this official, even with pc board coming Jordan has 60% of the votes.

Most of these votes were from three years ago. I bet a new poll from scratch would have them closer now that LeBron’s had a few more productive seasons and set the scoring record.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,206

Post#580 » by mowcrowbar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:40 am

JordansBulls wrote:
mowcrowbar wrote:Victor Khryapa.

Who?

The GOAT

Return to The General Board