March Madness Discussion (Men's Nat'l Championship Game: Mon 4/8: Purdue vs UCONN)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Re: March Madness Discussion and prospect watch 

Post#561 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:Da Silva might've solidified himself as a first round pick.

Honestly he looks like a better prospect than Cody Williams.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 34,807

Post#562 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:13 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

CD's lack of GAF motor is glaring.
ImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

#XX
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#563 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:15 pm

Kurtz wrote:Edey just dominating this game. Forget asking if he's a first round pick, and start asking if he's breaking into the top 10.

I know he can't defend in space in the NBA, but given his potential dominance inside you can work around that limitation.

If you aren't going to build your entire offense around Edey then he's not worth a top 10 pick imo.

Yeah he's going to struggle playing defense. But if you truly build your offense around his skillset then he might could be worth it. Surround him with 4 floor spacers and see if that 4 out 1 in offense could work like it did with Dwight and the Magic back in the day.
___Rand___
RealGM
And1: 11,187

Post#564 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 pm

eminence wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:
Kurtz wrote:Edey just dominating this game. Forget asking if he's a first round pick, and start asking if he's breaking into the top 10.

I know he can't defend in space in the NBA, but given his potential dominance inside you can work around that limitation.

He's too slow for the NBA. He can't stand in the paint like he does in college. They'll just pull him out from the paint and just blow by. NBA court is bigger too. Too much space for him to cover. So if I'm picking him in 1st, it'll be like with 28th or 30th pick, and I desperately need a big body to deal with Joker or something. Otherwise 2nd round is better.

Maybe you're using it as a metaphor, but NBA and NCAA courts are the same size.

Is it? I thought it was smaller. 3 point line is longer. Paint is wider.

Edit: yup. same size court, but paint and 3 point line distance stands.
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#565 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:16 pm

G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Agreed he doesn't have that DAWG in em!

He's already a projected top 5 pick, so I'm not sure if he gains anything from going back to school. He's more of a project player. He gotta add some weight to his frame.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#566 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 pm

Kurtz wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

He's too slow for the NBA. He can't stand in the paint like he does in college. They'll just pull him out from the paint and just blow by. NBA court is bigger too. Too much space for him to cover. So if I'm picking him in 1st, it'll be like with 28th or 30th pick, and I desperately need a big body to deal with Joker or something. Otherwise 2nd round is better.

I see your point, but if a 34-year old Brook Lopez can figure out how to be runner-up DPOY in the NBA, I think Edey can make it work too.

I would say he's slower than 34 year old Lopez. I think someone will pick him up. late rounds at most.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 11,131

Post#567 » by eminence » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 pm

___Rand___ wrote:
eminence wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:

Maybe you're using it as a metaphor, but NBA and NCAA courts are the same size.

Is it? I thought it was smaller. 3 point line is longer. Paint is wider.

Yep, both 94x50. HS courts are shorter at 84x50. FIBA courts are technically a tiny bit smaller than NBA/college courts as well.
I bought a boat.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 16,088

Post#568 » by Kurtz » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:29 pm

G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Yeah, he's got a real smooth stroke and he moves real well, but you really have to question a guy who is mocked to go top 5 but is this willing to defer to multiple teammates.

Possibly he hasn't recovered from his injury yet but that doesn't seem to be an issue watching him.
2weekswithpay
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Post#569 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:39 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

Not excusing Cody Williams' play recently but Da Silva is 3 years older than Cody. He's better now but will he be better in 4 years at the end of both player's rookie contracts?
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#570 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:52 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Not excusing Cody Williams' play recently but Da Silva is 3 years older than Cody. He's better now but will he be better in 4 years at the end of both player's rookie contracts?

Down the line Williams may be better. I'm talking right now Da Silva is clearly the better player.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 6,316

Post#571 » by jkvonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

Wow!

Gonzaga vs Purdue is gonna be a good one!
2weekswithpay
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Post#572 » by 2weekswithpay » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:03 pm

Kurtz wrote:
G R E Y wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Honestly he looks like a better prospect than Cody Williams.

Yeah, he's got a real smooth stroke and he moves real well, but you really have to question a guy who is mocked to go top 5 but is this willing to defer to multiple teammates.

Possibly he hasn't recovered from his injury yet but that doesn't seem to be an issue watching him.

I think this tends to happen when you aren't good/great at any one skill. Cody is kind of average across the board which leads to him floating around during games.
JustBuzzin
RealGM

Post#573 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 pm

2weekswithpay wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
G R E Y wrote:CD's lack of GAF motor is glaring.

I think this tends to happen when you aren't good/great at any one skill. Cody is kind of average across the board which leads to him floating around during games.

Oh there is no denying his potential. He's not great at anything, but he's solid in a lot of things as well. Anytime you have a 6'8 wing who can handle and make plays there is always a chance he could develop those skills at an elite level. He could be a star down the line, but it will take him some time to develop mainly his strength.
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#574 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:15 pm

Duke's next. On the topic of big men, does/should Filipowski enter the draft this year? He considered and pulled out last year. IMO it won't hurt him to stay another year in college, get stronger, polish his game.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 34,807

Post#575 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:21 pm

___Rand___ wrote:Duke's next. On the topic of big men, does Filipowski enter the draft this year? He considered and pulled out last year. IMO it won't hurt him to stay another year in college, get stronger, polish his game.

Has Ivicic declared?
ImageImageImage
The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:

#XX
rockmanslim
RealGM
And1: 5,795

Post#576 » by rockmanslim » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 pm

Jon Scheyer looks exactly like MousetrapGenius
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,315

Post#577 » by Dan33185 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

I always love these coaches from the small school that say "we're not the underdog" or "we belong here" right before they go out and get blown out by 30.
rockmanslim
RealGM
And1: 5,795

Post#578 » by rockmanslim » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 pm

Zoom all the way in on that dislocated finger
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

___Rand___
RealGM

Post#579 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:38 pm

G R E Y wrote:
___Rand___ wrote:Duke's next. On the topic of big men, does Filipowski enter the draft this year? He considered and pulled out last year. IMO it won't hurt him to stay another year in college, get stronger, polish his game.

Has Ivicic declared?

Haven't heard any declarations. I think it'll happen after the tourney. What's your thought on him?
___Rand___
RealGM

Post#580 » by ___Rand___ » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:39 pm

Dan33185 wrote:I always love these coaches from the small school that say "we're not the underdog" or "we belong here" right before they go out and get blown out by 30.

I would have loved to see Oakland in the sweet 16. I think that defense and 3 point shooting could have made some noise. NC State was playing too well.

Return to The General Board