2021-22 NBA Rookie Thread (part 3)

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

Which three rookies impress you the most? (vote for up to 3)

Cade Cunningham
12%
Jalen Green
1%
Evan Mobley
29%
Scottie Barnes
27%
Jalen Suggs
1%
Josh Giddey
10%
Franz Wagner
12%
Chris Duarte
2%
Alperen Sengun
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 557

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,415

Re: 2021-22 NBA Rookie Thread (part 3) 

Post#581 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:25 am

Ya Duncan 2.0 has already locked this award up. Dude is just flat out special.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,592

Post#582 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:28 am

BJ Boston having himself a game.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#583 » by perempe20 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:47 am

zshawn10 wrote:Josh Christopher tonight for the rockets had 18 points shooting a perfect percentage from the field and 3 and he wasn’t even our top draft pick lol

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,748

Post#584 » by LivingLegend » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:43 am

zeebneeb wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Anyone who doesn't have Mobley as the ROY at this point is either willfully ignorant or a casual with no understanding of basketball.
This does not promote conversation. Poor taste. There is always room for argument/discussion.

Here's a topic.....does Evan Mobley deserve the PF spot on All NBA First Team Defense? Something like

C- Gobert
PF- Mobley
SF- Gianni's
SG- Butler
PG-Holiday

He's not just good for rookie standards, he's good for the entire NBA standards. His offense needs some polish and experience but man is his defense already elite even among the NBAs best.

Read on Twitter
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,470

Post#585 » by CptCrunch » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:49 am

I just don't get why Raptors fans have to be in denial so hard.

Barnes looks amazing in half of his games, but I can name 10 SFs who consistently out play Barnes on a nightly basis, which is really not a slight on Barnes considering he is a rookie. Barnes is basically a guaranteed all-star type of player assuming an average developmental path. You can say similar things for a lot of other rookies like Wagner, Cade. All somewhere around all-star level plus or minus a notch or two.

However Mobley looks like no other player in the league. There isn't another PF in the league who impacts the game like him on defense. That's why when I called the KG comparison weeks ago during his first 3 games, there was no acceptance back then.

At least now, people are starting to see his impact on defense (count the number of Duncan references in recent pages). Is Mobley perfect on defense every game? No, but every other game, you see such an incredible amount of defensive impact that no other player in the league can project.

And one point I haven't seen mentioned is that Mobley has incredible control on his blocks. What I mean by this is that he blocks the ball and keeps the ball in-bound, often tapping to his team or straight up block + stealing/rebounding the ball. You see Towns block a shot, it's gonna be "get that crap out of here" into the stands kinds of situation. Mobley blocks the ball softly with just enough force in most situations. It's actually an incredible skill.

See the highlight from today with 5 blocks with Cavs gaining possession on all blocks:

Kobe>Jordan>God
Analyst
And1: 885

Post#586 » by Kobe>Jordan>God » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:01 am

Herbert Jones needs some love in here.
ImageImage
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,415

Post#587 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:14 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:Anyone who doesn't have Mobley as the ROY at this point is either willfully ignorant or a casual with no understanding of basketball.

You're the one that's ignorant for this comment.

Barnes vs. Mobley is still very much a conversation at this stage for ROTY.

Sure if Mobley gets hurt and misses a bunch of games and the conversation turns to if Mobley had played enough games to win ROY.

This isn't a shot at Barnes to say Mobley is running away with ROY to say the least. Again not a shot at Barnes, more just to the fact the ridiculous level of play Mobley has played so far.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#588 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:27 am

CptCrunch wrote:I just don't get why Raptors fans have to be in denial so hard.

Barnes looks amazing in half of his games, but I can name 10 SFs who consistently out play Barnes on a nightly basis, which is really not a slight on Barnes considering he is a rookie. Barnes is basically a guaranteed all-star type of player assuming an average developmental path. You can say similar things for a lot of other rookies like Wagner, Cade. All somewhere around all-star level plus or minus a notch or two.

However Mobley looks like no other player in the league. There isn't another PF in the league who impacts the game like him on defense. That's why when I called the KG comparison weeks ago during his first 3 games, there was no acceptance back then.

At least now, people are starting to see his impact on defense (count the number of Duncan references in recent pages). Is Mobley perfect on defense every game? No, but every other game, you see such an incredible amount of defensive impact that no other player in the league can project.

And one point I haven't seen mentioned is that Mobley has incredible control on his blocks. What I mean by this is that he blocks the ball and keeps the ball in-bound, often tapping to his team or straight up block + stealing/rebounding the ball. You see Towns block a shot, it's gonna be "get that crap out of here" into the stands kinds of situation. Mobley blocks the ball softly with just enough force in most situations. It's actually an incredible skill.

See the highlight from today with 5 blocks with Cavs gaining possession on all blocks:

Wtf does Raptor fans have to do with it?

You said
Anyone who doesn't have Mobley as the ROY at this point is either willfully ignorant or a casual with no understanding of basketball.

Pistons fans replies

This does not promote conversation. Poor taste. There is always room for argument/discussion.

Yet raptor fans are in denial? You add nothing except trying to troll a fan base. Are you surprised Pistons/Raptor/Magic fans aren't knob slobbing Mobley like you? Mobley has been great and 100% in the lead for ROY, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss everyone else. Again, nothing wrong with Loving Mobley ( I do too), but I'm not then going to bash the Houston/Detroit fan bases for passing or Toronto/Orlando for loving Barnes/Wagner. I just find your posting weird as you randomly call out a fan base, or call posters ignorant or casuals because they're talking about other prospects.
This isn't the Evan Mobley thread. TBH there's one already on the GB. We should be able to talk about any and all the prospects from this class.

Moral is stop bashing fan bases because "posters" debate you or disagree with you.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,173

Post#589 » by Marcus » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:28 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Ya Duncan 2.0 has already locked this award up. Dude is just flat out special.

Hurts my soul that I didn't think of the "Slim Duncan" nickname first. But yeah. No lies detected in your post.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
God Squad
RealGM

Post#590 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:29 am

Kobe>Jordan>God wrote:Herbert Jones needs some love in here.

That boy plays some amazing defense. He had a huge breakout (offensive) game tonight which was awesome to see. He's going to be a good one with some offensive polish.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,207

Post#591 » by TB » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:30 am

Moody with 37 points and 10 rebounds. Kuminga with 25 points and a ridiculous breakaway dunk.

Should probably mention it was in the G-League, but these two are looking good. :)
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,173

Post#592 » by Marcus » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:30 am

God Squad wrote:BJ Boston having himself a game.

So extremely happy for that kid. 100% hopes he can continue getting minutes when the team is back whole.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
God Squad
RealGM

Post#593 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:33 am

Marcus wrote:
God Squad wrote:BJ Boston having himself a game.

So extremely happy for that kid. 100% hopes he can continue getting minutes when the team is back whole.

Honestly so am I. Myself and many other wrote him off after his abysmal year. But he's showing steady growth as a scorer. He'll need to improve everything else, but the scoring is coming along. He should be able to find/carve out a nice role off the bench in the meantime I think.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#594 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:48 am

TB wrote:Moody with 37 points and 10 rebounds. Kuminga with 25 points and a ridiculous breakaway dunk.

Should probably mention it was in the G-League, but these two are looking good. :)

Well its Obviously in the Gleague lol. Good on both for contributing, but the gleague is hardly the place to gauge any sort of NBA development. For example

James Bouknight
26.8 points,
7.3 rebounds,
3.5 assists
1.8 steals

Cam Thomas
PPG 39.5.
RPG 6.5.
APG 4.

Josh Christopher
PPG 22.0
RPG 6.3
APG 6.0

Jalen Johnson
PPG 17.4
RPG 11
APG 2.3

Cooper
PPG 17.4
RPG 2.6
APG 5.1

A lot of these rookies are preforming well in the G leauge. Happy to see Bouk, Christopher and Cam get the call up to the main roster. Although I'm sure they'll be back and forth all season between the NBA/Gleague.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#595 » by DroseReturnChi » Thu Dec 9, 2021 9:23 am

zeebneeb wrote:

accepting mobley roy then talk is fine. but claiming there are multiple competitors barnes/cade is just troll. even if mobley retires, i dont want to give it to anyone else they are all mediocre.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,744

Post#596 » by orlando_joe » Thu Dec 9, 2021 10:31 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Barnes with 18 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal.

Made 2 threes tonight, should've had at least 3 more assists if his teammates didn't miss wide open 3s.

Another great game by him.

if only his teamates would shoot 100% for him...lol...solid night
God Squad
RealGM

Post#597 » by God Squad » Thu Dec 9, 2021 11:54 am

orlando_joe wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:Barnes with 18 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal.

Made 2 threes tonight, should've had at least 3 more assists if his teammates didn't miss wide open 3s.

Yeah certain Raptor fans love to do this stuff. As if other rookies wouldn't have more assist if their teammates hit more shots. But in his defense FVV shot 6-20 and Barnes defers (passes) to him a lot. But yeah we can say that about every single rookie. But Barnes did play well, especially because we're asking a lot of him. He's having to break his passive/pass first mindset and learn to become more of a scorer, which he's doing a phenomenal job doing.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,142

Post#598 » by sisibilio » Thu Dec 9, 2021 11:57 am

LivingLegend wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

Here's a topic.....does Evan Mobley deserve the PF spot on All NBA First Team Defense? Something like

C- Gobert
PF- Mobley
SF- Gianni's
SG- Butler
PG-Holiday

He's not just good for rookie standards, he's good for the entire NBA standards. His offense needs some polish and experience but man is his defense already elite even among the NBAs best.

Read on Twitter

The question I'd if he deserves DPOY consideration, with voters fatigue and all it wouldn't be that shocking
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#599 » by TheLand13 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 12:52 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:

You're the one that's ignorant for this comment.

Barnes vs. Mobley is still very much a conversation at this stage for ROTY.

It honestly isn't. And if you think it is, you haven't been watching Mobley play.

Right now the only thing Barnes realistically has over Mobley are stats, and he is barely clinging on in that regard. Mobley's impact on the team is already well known. We are seeing how much better Cleveland is with Mobley on the floor compared to when he's off the floor. He's turning them into legitimate playoff contenders.

No one is denying that Barnes is the clear runner up. But he's not even close to being on Mobley's level at the moment.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#600 » by TheDunc » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:09 pm

God Squad wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:

Yeah certain Raptor fans love to do this stuff. As if other rookies wouldn't have more assist if their teammates hit more shots. But in his defense FVV shot 6-20 and Barnes defers (passes) to him a lot. But yeah we can say that about every single rookie. But Barnes did play well, especially because we're asking a lot of him. He's having to break his passive/pass first mindset and learn to become more of a scorer, which he's doing a phenomenal job doing.

Well to be fair to record an assist your teammates do have to make shots and not all rookies are pass first type players. Is it really hard to believe Barnes could average 6-7 assists a night if he was surrounded by better shooters? i dont think so because Barnes does have some of the best court vision in the league and he racks up assists without having the ball in his hands a whole lot

Return to The General Board