[Video]Raptors Honor Vince Carter, Standing Ovation

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Oak For Three
Sophomore
And1: 221

Re: [Video]Raptors Honor Vince Carter, Standing Ovation 

Post#61 » by Oak For Three » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:18 pm

I remember Vince more for not getting his way and quitting on the team and clanking the last second shot against Philly.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Raptors will give Vinsanity Video Tribute, 20th Annivers 

Post#62 » by whysoserious » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:I'm not a Raptor fan but it really does piss me off that they allow Amir Johnson to wear that number .

Carter is the best player is raptor history! They just had their first TNT game in 13 years! During the carter years nbc and TNT always showed them! He had such a big influence on basketball in Canada. He was a basketball icon during his years in Toronto. Cant believe Amir wears that numbers..

That'd be like the lakers letting another player wear number 8 (which they haven't)

Why would it piss you off? Carter isn't retired and still playing in the league. You compare it to Kobe's number 8 but Kobe accomplished far more individually and as a team.

Vince is key in the Raptors history and did a lot, he also left on bad terms. But it's not like his jersey is retired or anything which leaves it open for any player to come to the Raptors and wear it should they choose. It's still debateable whether Carter deserves his jersey retired. And FWIW, I'm a big VC fan and have let go of how he left and I'm still not sure about retiring his jersey.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,779

Post#63 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:36 pm

I have to ask, what was the occasion? Carter has made plenty of appearances in Toronto after he left, why is this one important? Is it because of the Raptors 20th season?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#64 » by LLJ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:37 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:I have to ask, what was the occasion? Carter has made plenty of appearances in Toronto after he left, why is this one important? Is it because of the Raptors 20th season?

Yes.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#65 » by 13th Man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:15 pm

That was heartfelt. VC built that home and deserves it!
rapz101
Senior
And1: 717

Post#66 » by rapz101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:37 pm

If someone puts in 30 yrs of military work and then commits treason just once...whats his status?

No disrespect to carter because that was a bit of an extreme example, but the premise is still the same...dude was giving other teams our play calls, he's on record saying he did not try hard, and most of all the dude quit on the team while he was here.

You do not do that, even if ish hits the fan, its part of professionalism and he's a professional.

Babcock is a dick and easily our worst GM, but whats the point of building a house the way carter did just to tare it down...I'm not a fan of retiring a quitters jersey, but that's just me...having said that, the video last night was a good sentiment for all the work hes done in Toronto, but that's it.
litex
Veteran
And1: 425

Post#67 » by litex » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:18 pm

I'm a huge fan of this move. For all sorts of reasons, it just makes sense:

-However bitter Vince's departure from Toronto was (and there's no denying he handled it badly), the simple fact is that he more responsible than anyone else for anyone giving a crap about the Raptors in the first place. Prior to Vince, the Raptors were just another crappy expansion team with no history and no real connection with fans, an Atlantic division answer to the Vancouver Grizzlies. Vince changed that. He put them on the map, made them relevant (and more importantly, super fun to watch), got them on TV all the time, etc. During Vinsanity's peak, the Raptor's were can't-miss viewing, and that allowed them to build a large and passionate fanbase who has stuck with them even after Vince left and the team got lousy for a while. He is the single most important player in Raptors franchise history, and the way his time there ended doesn't change that.

-It is never a bad thing for a franchise to be seen as classy, and Toronto is finally good enough they can afford to be magnanimous without alienating their fans. This move makes Toronto looks like a classy organization that can look past the bad to honor the good, and that's the sort of organization most players want to play for.

-Vince is probably going to the Hall of Fame after his career is done, and there's a good chance it will be in a Raptor's jersey since thats where he arguably had his best years (well, there and with the Nets, but he spent more time with Toronto). Having a player enter the hall of fame wearing your franchise's jersey is a good thing and something teams are wise to embrace.

-Pretty much everyone likes Vince at this point. Other players like him, owners and coaches and media like him, and most fans like him. Obviously in his younger days he was perhaps the most exciting player ever, but he's since matured into a really professional, solid ballplayer who fills his role well, plays hard, and has earned the respect of those around him. The Vince who quit on Toronto was a pretty immature guy, but I get a real sense he's grown up a lot since then, and I think its good that the Raptors can recognize that. Clearly, for his part Vince looks back on the Raptors with a lot of affection.
360windmill
Rookie
And1: 908

Post#68 » by 360windmill » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 pm

rapz101 wrote:If someone puts in 30 yrs of military work and then commits treason just once...whats his status?

No disrespect to carter because that was a bit of an extreme example, but the premise is still the same...dude was giving other teams our play calls, he's on record saying he did not try hard, and most of all the dude quit on the team while he was here.

Everything above is false. Stupid rumors created by our hockey-centric media to influence casual fans against VC like raps 101. I hope non - Raps fans outside Toronto don't believe that b.s anymore.
rapz101
Senior

Post#69 » by rapz101 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Amirfan4eva wrote:
rapz101 wrote:If someone puts in 30 yrs of military work and then commits treason just once...whats his status?

Everything above is false. Stupid rumors created by our hockey-centric media to influence casual fans against VC like raps 101. I hope non - Raps fans outside Toronto don't believe that b.s anymore.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/did ... n-1.506817

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1962014

and the dude avg'd 30 min a game in 20 games prior to being traded where he avg'd 15.9ppg after he avg'ed 22.5ppg a game on 38min....he gets traded for next to nothing because his **** play was making him worthless on the market...he gets traded on dec 17 and than goes on to avg 27.5 ppg for the rest of the damn season...if im speaking BS please be kind and explain to me where the BS is...the dude quit on the team while wearing the jersey.

In fairness to VC the organization was pulling some shady moves against him and his **** play was a way to get back at them...at the end of the day i don't have a prob with VC leaving because of what they did, its the position he put the organization in and his unprofessional way of dealing with it that bothered me...i'm way past this and hold no resentment to the dude, but i do not think he should get his number retired with us, im not for endorsing a quitter.
gino_giode
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Re: Raptors will give Vinsanity Video Tribute, 20th Annivers 

Post#70 » by gino_giode » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:49 am

Hendrix wrote:He's spent 10 years in the league since he left, and was public enemy #1 for a bunch of those. You don't retire a players number who's still in the league for a decade, when the fan base doesn't like him.

He'll get it eventually. I don't see the big deal.

I think the Raps asked him what he thought about retiring his number on the Raps 15th year anniversary. Vince declined saying it would be weird.

Btw, the whiny bitch booing in the 2nd video in the OP was intolerable.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#71 » by whysoserious » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:25 am

rapz101 wrote:
Amirfan4eva wrote:

and the dude avg'd 30 min a game in 20 games prior to being traded where he avg'd 15.9ppg after he avg'ed 22.5ppg a game on 38min....he gets traded for next to nothing because his **** play was making him worthless on the market...he gets traded on dec 17 and than goes on to avg 27.5 ppg for the rest of the damn season...if im speaking BS please be kind and explain to me where the BS is...the dude quit on the team while wearing the jersey.

In fairness to VC the organization was pulling some shady moves against him and his **** play was a way to get back at them...at the end of the day i don't have a prob with VC leaving because of what they did, its the position he put the organization in and his unprofessional way of dealing with it that bothered me...i'm way past this and hold no resentment to the dude, but i do not think he should get his number retired with us, im not for endorsing a quitter.

Nothing in those articles confirmed that Carter did tip the plays off and his own Raptors teammates don't believe it.

The ESPN article and interview has been gone over many times. Not once did he say he was specifically not trying that season on purpose cause he wasn't happy and wanted out. You point out his minutes but who controls the minutes? The coach. There is a lot more going on but you're putting it all on Vince.

Keep going with the narrative that was fed to you in the Toronto media. The same guys around right now that are changing their tune in regards to Vince.

Vince is not an innocent bystander in how it ended, but some of you bought everything that was fed to you and have stuck to it.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#72 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:59 am

Amirfan4eva wrote:

Uh, it was actually Sonics players that came forward Ray Allen, Regie Evans and I think...Lewis, maybe.

They actually said it to the print media, it's on the record some place.

I don't know what reason they would have to lie.
rapz101
Senior

Post#73 » by rapz101 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:00 am

whysoserious wrote:
rapz101 wrote:
Amirfan4eva wrote:

Nothing in those articles confirmed that Carter did tip the plays off and his own Raptors teammates don't believe it.

The ESPN article and interview has been gone over many times. Not once did he say he was specifically not trying that season on purpose cause he wasn't happy and wanted out. You point out his minutes but who controls the minutes? The coach. There is a lot more going on but you're putting it all on Vince.

Keep going with the narrative that was fed to you in the Toronto media. The same guys around right now that are changing their tune in regards to Vince.

Vince is not an innocent bystander in how it ended, but some of you bought everything that was fed to you and have stuck to it.

VC says they were calling less and less plays for him as his time in Toronto winds down, and his teammates who love him so very much went with the plan to move away from him on the offensive end...?? is that the narrative you expect me to believe and due to that his production went down too?

The dude was still avg'ing 30 min a game...thats a good portion of the game I would say, and for a player of VC's caliber 15.9 ppg is complete BS. And it only further proves my point that after his injuries and all that "im worn down and hurt" BS he liked to play, he goes on to the nets to say he has a new found resurgence to go to the basket to explain his new play?..VC is arguably one of the more articulate and smarter basketball players in the NBA, either hes a complete moron and has no concept of advertising himself properly, or he really meant what he said....and i'd like to think VC is capable of expressing himself properly as he did for 5 seasons prior to the trade.

And i am not putting it all on VC, and i've acknowledged the stupid management From Babcock to S.Mitchell...but at the end of the day that off court stuff should stay off the court, he had a job to do and that requires his effort. simple.

and jus for the record lets not act like carter didnt tip the soonics off, every media outlet, toronto or seattle that discussed this game said he did indeed call the play out right beside the sonics bench so im not turning a blind eye, heck u can turn one if you want, but im not ignoring this at all....and jus for good measure here's the Seattle press talking about it...http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/C ... 162436.php
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#74 » by whysoserious » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:01 am

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Uh, it was actually Sonics players that came forward Ray Allen, Regie Evans and I think...Lewis, maybe.

They actually said it to the print media, it's on the record some place.

I don't know what reason they would have to lie.

Ray Allen said some of the guys told him, not that he heard it and here's Reggie's quote.

Sonics forward Reggie Evans was on the bench during the play.

"I'm not scared of Vince or nothing like that, but that is between him and his conscience," Evans said. "I'm not saying it did happen or it didn't happen."

The Raptors players denied it. Not saying it didn't happen but it has never been proven to be fact that he did.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#75 » by whysoserious » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:06 am

rapz101 wrote:
VC says they were calling less and less plays for him as his time in Toronto winds down, and his teammates who love him so very much went with the plan to move away from him on the offensive end...?? is that the narrative you expect me to believe and due to that his production went down too?

The dude was still avg'ing 30 min a game...thats a good portion of the game I would say, and for a player of VC's caliber 15.9 ppg is complete BS. And it only further proves my point that after his injuries and all that "im worn down and hurt" BS he liked to play, he goes on to the nets to say he has a new found resurgence to go to the basket to explain his new play?..VC is arguably one of the more articulate and smarter basketball players in the NBA, either hes a complete moron and has no concept of advertising himself properly, or he really meant what he said....and i'd like to think VC is capable of expressing himself properly as he did for 5 seasons prior to the trade.

And i am not putting it all on VC, and i've acknowledged the stupid management From Babcock to S.Mitchell...but at the end of the day that off court stuff should stay off the court, he had a job to do and that requires his effort. simple.

I'm not denying that he wasn't trying his hardest and had a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that impacted his play. But there's a lot of Raptors fans saying he purposely mailed it in and that just isn't a fact.

He has been known to be a slow starter in his career, and his minutes were reduced. It wasn't his call to play him so little in the fourth quarter that season, it was Smitch.

Look, I'm not going to convince you all I'm saying is stop posting stuff that actually isn't factually proven in any way. Everything is conjecture around what happened.

We all know Vince didn't put in the effort to prepare for games or had the fire to be one of the greats, but that's not a specific action he took against Toronto once things went sour, that's always been him.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#76 » by jaymeister15 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:13 am

The most ridiculous part about the whole giving away the play "controversy" is that he got the ball on that play and instead of taking a contested jumper, made a pass to a teammate for a wide open shot. If he really wanted to sabotage the team or whatever the narrative is, it would have made a lot more sense to just intentionally miss a contested shot.
rapz101
Senior

Post#77 » by rapz101 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:19 am

whysoserious wrote:
rapz101 wrote:

I'm not denying that he wasn't trying his hardest and had a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that impacted his play. But there's a lot of Raptors fans saying he purposely mailed it in and that just isn't a fact.

He has been known to be a slow starter in his career, and his minutes were reduced. It wasn't his call to play him so little in the fourth quarter that season, it was Smitch.

Look, I'm not going to convince you all I'm saying is stop posting stuff that actually isn't factually proven in any way. Everything is conjecture around what happened.

We all know Vince didn't put in the effort to prepare for games or had the fire to be one of the greats, but that's not a specific action he took against Toronto once things went sour, that's always been him.

lol, every player has a different dedication that they give to the game and i have no quarrell with VC's effort throughout his time in Toronto...im specifically talking about the summer and 20 games prior to his departure from this team...everything he did in that time was deliberate and is fact...he tipped the sonics off and no sonic's player denied it, they just wiggled around the question (look at my previous post)...he wasn't playing the 4th because he was playing like ass and just wasn't putting the effort in (ala his career avg's vs his his last 20 games).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcFEk_0mD6k[/youtube]

hope that vid sums up S.Mitch and VC's relationship...he didn't play the 4th for majority of his last 20 games but how about you don't John Cena your damn coach?...you can go ahead and say this is conjecture too, but why would jalen lie about people he is friends with (VC and S.Mitch).

Not putting the work in to be the next MJ is one thing...quitting is entirely different.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#78 » by whysoserious » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:28 am

Keep moving those goal posts to fit your narrative.

You said Vince tipped the play and posted an article. The article itself does not show for a fact that he tipped the play off and there has never been confirmation that he tipped the play.

You said he gave up and posted the John Thompson interview, which he never confirms he specifically was dogging it that season which is what you claimed he was doing.

Now it's about Vince and Smitch's relationships and that he wasn't playing in the fourth cause he was playing like ****? Really, what coach sits their superstars that can catch fire, especially ones that have a proven track record, through the fourth. Sam was specifically trying to prove it was his team and it was his way and using Vince as the example to everyone else because they knew they were pushing Vince out.

But hey, you've made up your mind and gonna find what you need to support your belief even if your 'proof' doesn't actually support it.
rapz101
Senior

Post#79 » by rapz101 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:54 am

whysoserious wrote:Keep moving those goal posts to fit your narrative.

You said Vince tipped the play and posted an article. The article itself does not show for a fact that he tipped the play off and there has never been confirmation that he tipped the play.

You said he gave up and posted the John Thompson interview, which he never confirms he specifically was dogging it that season which is what you claimed he was doing.

Now it's about Vince and Smitch's relationships and that he wasn't playing in the fourth cause he was playing like ****? Really, what coach sits their superstars that can catch fire, especially ones that have a proven track record, through the fourth. Sam was specifically trying to prove it was his team and it was his way and using Vince as the example to everyone else because they knew they were pushing Vince out.

But hey, you've made up your mind and gonna find what you need to support your belief even if your 'proof' doesn't actually support it.

lol i'm done... i'll stop with this, read in between the lines and look at his stats..dude was still seeing PT even if it was not in the 4th even though i'd really wanna see those stats too.

Having said that management f'd up, so did Vc, hope he has a good run with the rest of his career, but i wanna see amir get the jersey retired before VC. I like loyalty and effort.
Vinsanity_GOAT
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#80 » by Vinsanity_GOAT » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 am

You do not do that, even if ish hits the fan, its part of professionalism and he's a professional.

Meh... the front office had quit on vince long before he quit on the raptors. They completely and utterly failed to build a contender around one of the biggest stars, then in 2003 they committed to a rebuild when they drafted bosh instead of trading the pick. I'm sure when vince signed his extension in 2001 they made him all kinds of promises of building a contender. I think it's safe to assume he would've signed elsewhere as a free agent if they told him they'd start rebuilding just two years later with a player who's 7 years younger.

The gm knew perfectly well when they got bosh that vince was none to pleased about the situation, any decent gm would've started looking to trade him right then. They could've easily gotten a couple of nice young players for him to put next to bosh. Instead they kept him around to fill the seats. Next summer he finally requested a trade, gm ignored him as he always did. At that point vince had only one option left: tank.

Unprofessional... call it whatever you want. I'll make an analogy for the situation, just read the whole thing, i think it's pretty spot on.

Imagine you're a photographer specializing in models. You start out for a company and the first couple of years there's a couple of nice looking females you can shoot. Your work goes to some mid-level magazines and you have some moderate success. Things are going great and you're employer offers to extend your contract promising you'll get to shoot all the hottest models and get your pictures in the best magazines if you stay with his company. Obviously you sign, unfortunately your employer simply lied to you, he's unable to get the hottest models and you're stuck shooting fat acne riddled females for some hillbilly magazines. To make things worse he hires a younger photographer who gets the few remaining decent looking models. So eventually you get tired of this and ask for a transfer to wildlife photography. The bossman ignores you and sends you back to the fugly's. Knowing that you have a contract that says you can't be fired you start making horrible pictures and so on in order to get your boss to transfer you.

Would you passionately keep photographing the fat, ugly and acne-riddled women? I sure wouldn't, that's not what i signed up for. The only one at fault here is mister bossman. Loyalty (professionalism) has nothing to do with it, if you remain loyal to a liar then you're a damn fool.

Return to The General Board