What team got screwed the most?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

JamesDolan
Junior
And1: 231

Re: What team got screwed the most? 

Post#61 » by JamesDolan » Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
JamesDolan wrote:If you hate the Knicks now? What you going to do, when they add KD & Kyrie and become good?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using RealGM mobile app

I’ll Turn off 2k and play something else
This forum going to be crying, it's going to be glorious to watch

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#62 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:00 pm

JamesDolan wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
JamesDolan wrote:If you hate the Knicks now? What you going to do, when they add KD & Kyrie and become good?

Not at all I think it would be good for the nba to see the Knicks be relevant and actually good with a competitive team that can win consistently. It’s about damn time right? I mean you guys have been a laughingstock for so long you deserve it.

That’s coming from a Celtics fan too. No one cares about the knicks that much and most of us here wanna see intriguing playoff matchups and more than 1 team with a legitimate chance to win it all. KD leaves warriors it gives teams hope. If the Knicks build a great team good for them.

Safe to say also your chances of getting them is higher than 14% and that should encourage u.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#63 » by Wilber85 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Dallas had the same record as NO and Memphis - Dallas lost the tie breaker pre-draft and was 9th while NO n Memphis were 7th n 8th, again Dallas had the same record.

Imagine Zion or JA with Luka n KP, well a coin-flipped cost us that, or 1 extra win

So you are saying they are screwed because they didn't get #1? That is like the worst odds lol
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,373

Post#64 » by HeatIn5 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Knicks go from top 3 to 3

Suns go from top 3 to 6

Knicks fans think they have it worse
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#65 » by Wilber85 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

JamesDolan wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

KD and Irving aren't going to the knicks
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#66 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Stannis wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Who lost the most by this years lotto?

Original order
1) Knicks
2) Cavs
3) Suns
4) Bulls
5) Atl

New order
1) NO
2) Memphis
3) Knicks
4) Lakers
5) Cavs
6) Suns

The obvious answer should be the Knicks, but given the need for a star, and the only way they could become relevant again, I think the Cavs got screwed the hardest. From 2 to 5 is a huge drop and so it seems the talent drops after 3.

Thoughts?

Knicks being the obvious choice? wth r u talking about? They had like a 50% chance to be #5, and they got #3. Cavs and Suns had a 50% to make it to the top 4, and didn't. And they still had the same 14% odds for #1.

Knicks statistically came out better than they were predicted to. Especially considering that 3 teams jumped into the top 5, but not Dallas. Which helps the Knicks since they got Dallas picks' in the Porzingis trade.

Exactly my point. The new system gave them less odds, and now they are looking at #3 instead of a franchise altering player like Zion. Barrett, Morant, etc. will not move the needle much. They had a dream of KD Irving and Zion playing together, but now it's back to the drawing board.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#67 » by Stannis » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Stannis wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Who lost the most by this years lotto?

The obvious answer should be the Knicks, but given the need for a star, and the only way they could become relevant again, I think the Cavs got screwed the hardest. From 2 to 5 is a huge drop and so it seems the talent drops after 3.

Thoughts?

Knicks being the obvious choice? wth r u talking about? They had like a 50% chance to be #5, and they got #3. Cavs and Suns had a 50% to make it to the top 4, and didn't. And they still had the same 14% odds for #1.

Knicks statistically came out better than they were predicted to. Especially considering that 3 teams jumped into the top 5, but not Dallas. Which helps the Knicks since they got Dallas picks' in the Porzingis trade.

Exactly my point. The new system gave them less odds, and now they are looking at #3 instead of a franchise altering player like Zion. Barrett, Morant, etc. will not move the needle much. They had a dream of KD Irving and Zion playing together, but now it's back to the drawing board.

Somebody posted something on the Knicks board, and it showed that they would still get #3 in the old system as well. So they definitely weren't screwed.

The Durant rumors have surfaced a while now; before anybody thought Knicks had a chance at the #1 pick.
Free Palestine
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 12,004

Post#68 » by jayu70 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:
baldur wrote:Hawks clearly. Dallas had the worst 6th record for a while before season ending. They could have had 5th and 6th picks easily, even better.. Now they have 8th and 10th.

At least they got the Dallas pick though. That has to go into the win column. Imagine they end up #8 and have to wait another year...

But did they really want the Mavs pick this year in a weak draft? Even if the Mavs improve as expected next years pick may be more valuable in a great draft

All signs point to the Hawks wanting the pick to convey this year.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#69 » by Dan Z » Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Dominater wrote:
Forbes wrote:The Suns. I look at 1-3 the same. Had the same odds, Knicks still got 3.

The Suns I’m sure with 1-3 would have been able to start making some big decisions. Especially if they got #1 and wanted Morant. They could have traded down to #2 and picked up some more pieces. How unfortunate.

Bulls got shafted just as much as the Suns did. And worse considering that last year we also dropped from 6 to 7 while the Suns moved up to #1, yet didn't even improve with such a gift

It also sucks that the Bulls are now one pick lower than another team that needs a point guard (the Suns).
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,839

Post#70 » by Swish1906 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Mavs

Had to give the 2019 Top-5 protected pick to the Hawks to trade up in last years draft after falling from #3 to #5 in the lottery draft.

Finished the season with the same record than Grizzlies and Pelicans and lost the 3-way-tiebreaker to them. Pelicans and Grizz move up to #1 and #2. Mavs were 15 times in the lottery and never moved up.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#71 » by Axolotl » Thu May 16, 2019 5:19 pm

No one got screwed at all. Some teams were lucky, some were unlucky. That's the system the league has in place.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#72 » by fansinceforever » Thu May 16, 2019 5:23 pm

No one. It's literally called the "The Lottery". I
BladeKor
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#73 » by BladeKor » Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm

TimRobbins wrote:The lottery needs to fixed in a way that reflects past picks. If there are two bad teams and one hasn't gotten a #1 pick in 30 years, the odds need to reflect that. Knicks should have gotten the #1 pick, but they could still end up with the best player in #3.

It's been 40+ years since hawks had the first pick.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#74 » by macNcheese3 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Suns. They are hot trash. I don’t even think Zion could turn them around with Sarver as the owner
JamesDolan
Junior
And1: 231

Post#75 » by JamesDolan » Thu May 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
JamesDolan wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

KD and Irving aren't going to the knicks
Yes they are

TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,249

Post#76 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 16, 2019 6:56 pm

BladeKor wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:The lottery needs to fixed in a way that reflects past picks. If there are two bad teams and one hasn't gotten a #1 pick in 30 years, the odds need to reflect that. Knicks should have gotten the #1 pick, but they could still end up with the best player in #3.

Hawks weren't as bad as the Knicks this season. All I'm saying is that past picks should be factored into the lottery odds. You should take into account the history when calculating the odds, not just last season.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#77 » by Buzzard » Thu May 16, 2019 7:26 pm

leolozon wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
leolozon wrote:
They also lost the Mavs coin flip, it was a three-way tie. They could have had two picks in the top 7.

Then again, the Mavs weren't supposed to blow it up and be that bad, so 10th pick is actually slightly better than what they should have been expecting at the beginning of the year. Dallas could have also moved up. So, it could have been worst. I don't think it could have been much worst for the Suns.

Everything you say is a fact. I was wrong about the worse case. The furthest the Hawks could have dropped was 9th. So the worse case would have been the Hawks dropping to 9; then the Mavs moving up, like the same odds Grizzlies and Pelicans, and no extra pick for the Hawks.

0nly the 9th pick vs 8th and 10th picks. Give me the latter all day long. I think a lot of other fans are way more disappointed than us.

I've also seen some people on your board saying you should package those two picks to try to go up, but from what I've read, this is actually a pretty great draft to have the 8th and 10th selection rather than only the 5th. After the 3rd pick, it looks like it'll be a crapshoot and no one knows who'll be the best player. Having two stabs at it is nice.

Trading up is a possibility but I am a proponent of moving back. Who knows what our GM will do; but I think he is a good talent evaluator. If we'd got one of the top three, losing the Mavs pick for a year would not have stung so bad. Since our own pick moved back, I am glad the Hawks kept it.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
BladeKor
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#78 » by BladeKor » Sat May 18, 2019 2:12 am

TimRobbins wrote:
BladeKor wrote:

Hawks weren't as bad as the Knicks this season. All I'm saying is that past picks should be factored into the lottery odds. You should take into account the history when calculating the odds, not just last season.

It doesn't matter how bad you were. Hawks deserved that #1 pick more than the Knicks.

Return to The General Board