Will Markelle Fultz play in another NBA game again?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

WestGOAT
Starter
And1: 3,350

Re: Will Markelle Fultz play in another NBA game again? 

Post#61 » by WestGOAT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
His TOS diagnosis was public last year (before he was traded to the Magic). He shared that with the Sixersā€™ FO but the narratives were already swirling so people didnā€™t want to believe that lol. **** situation for all parties involved. I hope he returns to the court but Fields/Uzoh werenā€™t so lucky.

Yea the diagnosis is public, but the cause is not public no? If it was a vehicle accident, his contract should have been voided.

Is that really grounds for voiding his contract? Maybe concealing the accident would be, but not the accident itself I assume

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.

The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Playerā€™s participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Playerā€™s participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), water or jet skiing, whitewater rafting, rappelling, bungee jumping, trampoline jumping, and mountain biking; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) using fireworks or participating in any activity involving firearms or other weapons; (iv) riding on electric scooters or hoverboards; (v) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped or four-wheeling/off-roading of any kind; (vi) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (vii) operating an aircraft of any kind; (viii) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (ix) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.

From https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/national-basketball-association-uniform-player-contract.html

I guess it depends on how he got that accident. That said I remember JR Smith on a hoverboard in an arena... sooo yea not sure how strict they are.

:lol: :lol:
spotted in Bologna
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,085

Post#62 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:19 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Audi wrote:Visual summary of the Great Markelle Fultz Conspiracy (as told by RealGM):

Seriously. If you fall anywhere in this camp, Kyrie has a flat earth to sell you.

I defended the guy forever and am still rooting for him but it's pretty ridiculous for you to act like thinking something more is up is some great conspiracy theory. Can you recall any other player taking two years to rehab an "injury" that did not even require surgery? Why the secrecy? These are the same questions us Sixers fans asked constantly for two years and there are still no answers.

It didn't make sense until the TOS diagnosis, and then it did. The alleged structural damage was the issue narrative-wise.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,448

Post#63 » by Capn'O » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't know why people don't believe the TOS reasoning with Fultz. The shoe fits. He's physically not right.

contestedlayups wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:
Yup. At least Anthony Bennett flat out sucked, amongst other 1st overall picks who flamed out. Fultz has never had ample opportunity to do much of anything.

Royce White was another one. How did Houston not know about his phobia?

Interestingly enough, White's situation made the NBA more conscious towards mental health issues, which prompted the Demar Derozan and Kevin Love initiative to bring awareness to mental health. I think the Rockets knew, but no one really took mental health stuff seriously at the time, and White's refusal to play really helped to bring light to the situation.

They absolutely knew. He was a later pick because of the issues and they took a chance on him.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/8818221/houston-rockets-suspend-royce-white-cite-breach-contract

I remember reading articles about that situation and it was really bizarre. White wasn't wrong about the league needing to better advocate for mental health generally but he kind of went 0-60 airing out his issues with the team on Twitter and to the press. If anything, it seemed like the Rockets were out in front on that situation more than most teams would have been. They were trying to accommodate and you're not going to accomplish much putting your employer on blast.

Imo, Ron Artest did MUCH more to raise mental health awareness proactively than White did.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,837

Post#64 » by Audi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 pm

BullyKing wrote:
Audi wrote:Visual summary of the Great Markelle Fultz Conspiracy (as told by RealGM):

Seriously. If you fall anywhere in this camp, Kyrie has a flat earth to sell you.

I defended the guy forever and am still rooting for him but it's pretty ridiculous for you to act like thinking something more is up is some great conspiracy theory. Can you recall any other player taking two years to rehab an "injury" that did not even require surgery? Why the secrecy? These are the same questions us Sixers fans asked constantly for two years and there are still no answers.

Can you recall a young player coming into the league and being diagnosed with TOS? It's already considered an uncommon injury universally, yet since we don't have another example of it happening this way in the small sample size of the NBA, it must mean "something more is up"? Surgery isn't always a viable option in cases of TOS, therefore no surgery means "something more is up?". Why do we as sports fans feel entitled to know the ins-and-outs of his medical status? There are people rejecting a diagnosis by a medical professional simply on the grounds that the doctor making the diagnosis won't make his/her name publicly available to a bunch of freaking NBA fans. The ignorance on the matter has reached epic proportions.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#65 » by FNQ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

It didn't make sense until the TOS diagnosis, and then it did. The alleged structural damage was the issue narrative-wise.

I've never had to deal with TOS (we had a specific baseball guy and baseball produces this way more than anything I've ever seen).. but is their a healing prognosis here, or is this something he's likely going to deal with forever?
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,085

Post#66 » by GeorgeMarcus » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
Yea the diagnosis is public, but the cause is not public no? If it was a vehicle accident, his contract should have been voided.

Is that really grounds for voiding his contract? Maybe concealing the accident would be, but not the accident itself I assume

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.

The Player and the Team acknowledge and agree that the Playerā€™s participation in certain other activities may impair or destroy his ability and skill as a basketball player, and the Playerā€™s participation in any game or exhibition of basketball other than at the request of the Team may result in injury to him. Accordingly, the Player agrees that he will not, without the written consent of the Team, engage in any activity that a reasonable person would recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury including, but not limited to: (i) sky-diving, hang gliding, snow skiing, rock or mountain climbing (as distinguished from hiking), water or jet skiing, whitewater rafting, rappelling, bungee jumping, trampoline jumping, and mountain biking; (ii) any fighting, boxing, or wrestling; (iii) using fireworks or participating in any activity involving firearms or other weapons; (iv) riding on electric scooters or hoverboards; (v) driving or riding on a motorcycle or moped or four-wheeling/off-roading of any kind; (vi) riding in or on any motorized vehicle in any kind of race or racing contest; (vii) operating an aircraft of any kind; (viii) engaging in any other activity excluded or prohibited by or under any insurance policy which the Team procures against the injury, illness or disability to or of the Player, or death of the Player, for which the Player has received written notice from the Team prior to the execution of this Contract; or (ix) participating in any game or exhibition of basketball, football, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, or other team sport or competition. If the Player violates this Paragraph 12, he shall be subject to discipline imposed by the Team and/or the Commissioner of the NBA. Nothing contained herein shall be intended to require the Player to obtain the written consent of the Team in order to enable the Player to participate in, as an amateur, the sports of golf, tennis, handball, swimming, hiking, softball, volleyball, and other similar sports that a reasonable person would not recognize as involving or exposing the participant to a substantial risk of bodily injury.

From https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/national-basketball-association-uniform-player-contract.html

I guess it depends on how he got that accident. That said I remember JR Smith on a hoverboard in an arena... sooo yea not sure how strict they are.

Interesting, you may be onto something with regard to how his camp handled everything. Either way I think the "yips" argument is ludicrous when a much more logical conclusion was presented.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,081

Post#67 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.

Thereā€™s no way the Sixers would have voided his contract back when this decision would have to have been made though. All these Fultz conspiracy theories suffer from various chronological issues.
James40
Veteran
And1: 1,048

Post#68 » by James40 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Look at the crazy foul shots that were imitated by someone in the NFL, Iā€™m not saying he doesnā€™t have nerve damage but a big part of his problems are psychological.

Royce White, the Sixers bent over backwards for this guy, so did the Rockets, he also has an issue and now that heā€™s in MMA weā€™ll see if he got over part of it which included laziness.
WestGOAT
Starter

Post#69 » by WestGOAT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES.

Thereā€™s no way the Sixers would have voided his contract back when this decision would have to have been made though. All these Fultz conspiracy theories suffer from various chronological issues.

Which decision specifically? About picking-up his team option?
spotted in Bologna
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,837

Post#70 » by Audi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:30 pm

FNQ wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

I've never had to deal with TOS (we had a specific baseball guy and baseball produces this way more than anything I've ever seen).. but is their a healing prognosis here, or is this something he's likely going to deal with forever?

From what I understand, while 100% recovery is pretty rare, even alleviation of the worst symptoms via physical therapy (or surgery where applicable) can do wonders - the issue long term is with the potential for re-aggravation.
There's a really good Q&A on the Orlando Magic reddit board by a guy who not only treats people with TOS but has TOS himself (credentials verified) who chimes in and seems very positive about Fultz's future - I'll try to dig it up and share here.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#71 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:30 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

Well the theory is he hurt himself before his rookie year right? They would have had to choose to void it then.

Iā€™m not sure how knowing he was in an accident 15 months prior would make them more or less likely to pick up his option. Thatā€™s completely different from voiding his contract.
WestGOAT
Starter

Post#72 » by WestGOAT » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Well the theory is he hurt himself before his rookie year right? They would have had to choose to void it then.

Iā€™m not sure how knowing he was in an accident 15 months prior would make them more or less likely to pick up his option.

I don't know, I was suggesting if it was really a motorcycle accident they have grounds to void it. But they didn't, so it's probably something else happend to Fultz for him to develop TOS.
spotted in Bologna
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#73 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:37 pm

WestGOAT wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
WestGOAT wrote:

Iā€™m not sure how knowing he was in an accident 15 months prior would make them more or less likely to pick up his option.

I don't know, I was suggesting if it was really a motorcycle accident they have grounds to void it. But they didn't, so it's probably something else happend to Fultz for him to develop TOS.

Oh ok, well I think people are saying he didnā€™t tell them about the accident.

But again, that doesnā€™t make sense since thereā€™s no way in hell they would have voided the #1 picksā€™ contract over something that didnā€™t seem like a very big deal at the time.

So I guess I donā€™t really disagree with you.
Jason_Todd
Junior
And1: 198

Post#74 » by Jason_Todd » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm

ORL should trade him to OKC along with Fournier and someone else and acquire Chris Paul. Fultz will have zero preessure and exposure in the Thunder and the Magic will become top 3 team in the east with Philly and Milwaukee.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,448

Post#75 » by Capn'O » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Or they could have decided that voiding the contract would be

A) A bad PR look
B) Not beneficial since it was unclear if, when, and to what extent he would recover
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#76 » by oceanlife » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 pm

contestedlayups wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
contestedlayups wrote:
Yup. At least Anthony Bennett flat out sucked, amongst other 1st overall picks who flamed out. Fultz has never had ample opportunity to do much of anything.

Royce White was another one. How did Houston not know about his phobia?

Interestingly enough, White's situation made the NBA more conscious towards mental health issues, which prompted the Demar Derozan and Kevin Love initiative to bring awareness to mental health. I think the Rockets knew, but no one really took mental health stuff seriously at the time, and White's refusal to play really helped to bring light to the situation.

Royce White was a terrible person.

Royce White was a shop lifter who used his status as a college athlete to get out of trouble, he had something like 4 kids with 4 women before getting to the NBA and caused problems everywhere he went. Then he tried to use "mental health" as a way to bully NBA teams and they told him to pound sand.

He was a fun player to watch and was an NBA quality talent. But regardless of his mental health he was a total scumbag.
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#77 » by howlin mad axer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:24 pm

It might be time for the second coming of Anthony Bennett to join the BIG3 league.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#78 » by BullyKing » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Audi wrote:
BullyKing wrote:

Can you recall a young player coming into the league and being diagnosed with TOS? It's already considered an uncommon injury universally, yet since we don't have another example of it happening this way in the small sample size of the NBA, it must mean "something more is up"? Surgery isn't always a viable option in cases of TOS, therefore no surgery means "something more is up?". Why do we as sports fans feel entitled to know the ins-and-outs of his medical status? There are people rejecting a diagnosis by a medical professional simply on the grounds that the doctor making the diagnosis won't make his/her name publicly available to a bunch of freaking NBA fans. The ignorance on the matter has reached epic proportions.

You're projecting onto me things that others have said but I have not.

You might understand more if you have lived with this ordeal the entire time. He was just mysteriously absent for a year and a half. You'd get videos of him working out and looking great and yet no updates or explanation as to why he was not playing or when he was expected to return. Then we get this TOS diagnosis. Great. Yet despite now supposedly knowing the cause of all of these issues, we're still not getting any real updates or information about treatment or return to action. No one, or at least I'm not, claiming to being entitled to medical updates about him but that doesn't mean it's unreasonable to be wary of his status without them.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#79 » by BullyKing » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Capn'O wrote:Or they could have decided that voiding the contract would be

A) A bad PR look
B) Not beneficial since it was unclear if, when, and to what extent he would recover

And what would voiding the contract have done for them? They still managed to get some minimal value out him that they wouldn't have if they just voided the contract
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,109

Post#80 » by Showdown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:30 pm

Return to The General Board