Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Re: Is the Celtics bench as weak as it looks on paper? 

Post#61 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:15 am

Darth Celtic wrote:I mean, I'm waiting on a new thread "I was playing 2k the other day and I'm still worried because Embiid still gets tired too fast and I have to take him out" " I wonder if all the conditioning all off season had an impact or not."
You're right, Horford and Embiid will probably have to share minutes at center this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#62 » by basketballRob » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:25 am

I still haven't got to see Langford play, so I'm going to wait and see.

As a team it looks like they're banking on Tatum to step up and have an allstar type year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#63 » by Par36 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:27 am

reload141 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:The Celtics have issues. They look like a 45 win team and a first round exit right now.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Underestimate Carsen Edwards at your own peril GM. Same goes with Grant Williams.

Give us a 2nd round exit man come on. :lol:

If the east was stronger both the Raptors and Celtics would be at risk of first round exits.

As for Nets...is KD healthy And I didn't know about it? No. So maybe a 7/8 seed at best.

Bucks/76ers
Raptors/Celtics/Pacers
Magic/Heat/Nets
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,497

Post#64 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:58 am

LloydFree wrote:I don't think their bench is weak at all. I think their projected starting lineup is weak. Starting 3 Small Forwards and either Enes Kanter or Robert Williams at Center is a recipe for disaster, just waiting to happen. Playing a 5'11 Shooting Guard at PG, with no other facilitator on the floor, and playing Jason Tatum at Power forward, is going to be a bigger problem than anyone is talking about.

It's been discussed ad nauseum in our forum. It's a huge concern for us.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,088

Post#65 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:04 pm

LOL, last night against the Hornets their bench saved the Celtics. Except for Tatum, the starters were underwhelming. Robert Williams, Jaylen Brown and Semi Ojeleye simply sucked, and Hayward looked like last year's Hayward. Kanter and Poirier both looked confused on defense. The team needs a healthy Daniel Theis big time.

They were 15 points down until Grant Williams, Carsten Edwards and later Devonte Green came in and righted the ship against the Hornet's bench.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#66 » by Stillwater » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:10 pm

kemba tacko
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,739

Post#67 » by Fantaxp7 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:31 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:LOL, last night against the Hornets their bench saved the Celtics. Except for Tatum, the starters were underwhelming. Robert Williams, Jaylen Brown and Semi Ojeleye simply sucked, and Hayward looked like last year's Hayward. Kanter and Poirier both looked confused on defense. The team needs a healthy Daniel Theis big time.

They were 15 points down until Grant Williams, Carsten Edwards and later Devonte Green came in and righted the ship against the Hornet's bench.

This is what I took out of it, pre-season game where our starters were mediocre, the new guys come out and played with purpose and show us they are capable of contributing.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#68 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Oct 7, 2019 2:40 pm

gabri3l3 wrote:Yeah it's terrible no shot creators whatsoever or rim protection pretending they will be starting Robert Williams and using Kanter as a sixth man. A lot of inexperienced guys too . A lot will fall on how Romeo Langford develops but you cant expect too much from a first year guy.

They will be probably better and more balanced bringing Hayward off the bench and starting Smart.
So Kemba - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Williams I think is their best guess.

Our bench will be Smart/Edwards/Williams/Wannamaker + 1 to be decided, imo and I do expect Brad to keep 1 or 2 starters in there with the bench guys as per usual.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#69 » by Prokorov » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:00 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:.

IF he does. If not, the Raps might have the worst wing rotation in the league.

I'd say Boston, Indiana, Toronto and Brooklyn are in the same tier. Magic and Miami could be in that tier as well.

i think you are underselling the raps.... unless they just organizationally view this as a bridge year, give lowry 20-25 maintenance days off from games, similar with gasol, or move both, they are still a 40-45 win team a step above boston/detroit/orlando. Same with the nets and while indy has alot of transition they also have oladipo coming back

Bucks

Philly
Toronto
Brooklyn

Indy
Miami

Orlando
Boston
Detroit

Washington
Chicago

LOL putting Brooklyn and Philly in the same tier. At least the remaining players on the Raps had a parade this summer.

What did the Nets do this spring - other than watch their fans put up "where is Ben Simmons?" posters on street poles?

(how did those posters work out, anyway?)

signed kyrie irving
signed deandre jordan
traded for tayshaun prince
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,125

Post#70 » by Duffman100 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:02 pm

Prokorov wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
i think you are underselling the raps.... unless they just organizationally view this as a bridge year, give lowry 20-25 maintenance days off from games, similar with gasol, or move both, they are still a 40-45 win team a step above boston/detroit/orlando. Same with the nets and while indy has alot of transition they also have oladipo coming back

Bucks

Philly
Toronto
Brooklyn

Indy
Miami

Orlando
Boston
Detroit

Washington
Chicago

LOL putting Brooklyn and Philly in the same tier. At least the remaining players on the Raps had a parade this summer.

What did the Nets do this spring - other than watch their fans put up "where is Ben Simmons?" posters on street poles?

(how did those posters work out, anyway?)

signed kyrie irving
signed deandre jordan
traded for tayshaun prince

Man I wish you guys had Tayshaun Prince :D
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#71 » by Tiny ball » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:28 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:LOL, last night against the Hornets their bench saved the Celtics. Except for Tatum, the starters were underwhelming. Robert Williams, Jaylen Brown and Semi Ojeleye simply sucked, and Hayward looked like last year's Hayward. Kanter and Poirier both looked confused on defense. The team needs a healthy Daniel Theis big time.

It looks like to me if they want to win games they have to play Tacko and at times get Edwards the ball and get out of his way. Most people that think say Tacko is going to be cut. I'm glad I will not be paying Direct TV to watch this season.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#72 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:22 pm

We have too many third-stringers. Smart an excellent 6th man but the drop off is pretty steep after him.

Love the new draft picks, but non-lotto picks don't have the best first year track records for us. I think Edwards, Grant and Romeo are all good bets to have good careers, but their first years might be a bit rugged.

Semi and Theis are solid 11th men. Poirier and RWIII both seem sketchy - not sure either belongs in a playoff caliber rotation. Wanamaker is a fringe NBA player. Waters seems like a Phil Pressey style 15th man. Tacko is a fun 5mpg victory cigar kinda player at the moment.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#73 » by Rockice_24 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:31 pm

I got BOS below INDY, BK, and TOR (obviously the top 2 as well). They likely will have issues with protecting the paint and depth. They'll make the playoffs but as a 6-7 and will probably be knocked out by PHI/BK/INDY/TOR whoever ends up in that 3-4 seed spot.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#74 » by Benedict_Boozer » Mon Oct 7, 2019 5:32 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't think their bench is weak at all. I think their projected starting lineup is weak. Starting 3 Small Forwards and either Enes Kanter or Robert Williams at Center is a recipe for disaster, just waiting to happen. Playing a 5'11 Shooting Guard at PG, with no other facilitator on the floor, and playing Jason Tatum at Power forward, is going to be a bigger problem than anyone is talking about.

It's been discussed ad nauseum in our forum. It's a huge concern for us.

Imagine what a team like Philly, Denver, or even a team like the Lakers w/ AD will do to that front-court. Ouch.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#75 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:04 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:I got BOS below INDY, BK, and TOR (obviously the top 2 as well). They likely will have issues with protecting the paint and depth. They'll make the playoffs but as a 6-7 and will probably be knocked out by PHI/BK/INDY/TOR whoever ends up in that 3-4 seed spot.

I'd love playing BKN in the first round of the playoffs. It's actually a dream scenario.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,140

Post#76 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:09 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:I got BOS below INDY, BK, and TOR (obviously the top 2 as well). They likely will have issues with protecting the paint and depth. They'll make the playoffs but as a 6-7 and will probably be knocked out by PHI/BK/INDY/TOR whoever ends up in that 3-4 seed spot.

I'd love playing BKN in the first round of the playoffs. It's actually a dream scenario.

The NBA would love it to. That is a perfect matchup because it is so easy to promote.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,085

Post#77 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:20 pm

reload141 wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
hoosierdaddy34 wrote:The Celtics have issues. They look like a 45 win team and a first round exit right now.

Yeah that sounds about right.

Underestimate Carsen Edwards at your own peril GM. Same goes with Grant Williams.

Give us a 2nd round exit man come on. :lol:

:lol: I just... can't. The front court is too big of a question mark for me. Stevens has proven me wrong in the past though, so we'll see.

Look on the bright side. At least you should finish ahead of the Nets :wink:
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#78 » by Rockice_24 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:45 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

As would I love to play BOS it would crazy. The story lines write themselves and both being Atlantic division rivals with the trade history it'd be such a fun series. I'd want PHI in round 2 to try and exact revenge for last years beat down too if possible.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,088

Post#79 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Oct 7, 2019 8:15 pm

If the Celtics veterans don't play better than they did last night, there won't be a second round, no matter who they play in the first. And if they do make the playoffs, their first round will likely be against Milwaukee.

Maybe I'll go back to my 50-win prediction after a few more games, but based on last night the Celtics will be lucky to win 40.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,677

Post#80 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:29 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

of course because it would mean you actually made the playoffs. which is on the fringe right now at best

Return to The General Board