Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#61 » by Perseus1966 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:30 am

If raptors ,celtics ,rockets ,utah ,76,miami have 2 all stars,bucks should have 3.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,262

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#62 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am

iggymcfrack wrote:Middleton was one of the 7 best players in the East regardless of what team he was on. He’s a terrible example of someone being gifted a spot they didn’t deserve. He’s averaging 25/7/5 per 36 on 50/43/90 splits while playing great defense. He’s 9th in the league in RPM. He’s really having a fantastic season.

Somewhere along the line his lack of flash feeds into people's perceptions.
But he'd be in my all star team this year.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#63 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:42 am

Perseus1966 wrote:If raptors ,celtics ,rockets ,utah ,76,miami have 2 all stars,bucks should have 3.

See, this pure numbers thinking makes no sense time at all.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst

Post#64 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
Young gun 6 wrote:This thread was literally made for Westbrook being chosen over Booker.

Lol. Quit w/ this stuff. Westbrook is an 8 time all star that has been a major contributor to playoff-level teams pretty much his entire career - he’s 12th in PPG, 8th in assists, 8th in steals, and 30th in rebounds as a 6’3” guard - and he plays on a winning team in the West. Plus he’s got the intangibles that make him a draw for an event like the ASG.

Booker’s 5 year career has basically been putting up gaudy numbers on one of the worst tanking teams in the league - and now cause they aren’t actively trying to lose as many games as possible in an embarrassing fashion for the first time ever, he suddenly deserves an all star nod? Isn’t his $30M/yr no expectations attached contact enough? I just think he’s got to win more games than he loses at least once before he’s gonna get it over WC guards who are winning. The West just has a lot of strong guards on its good teams. It’s harder.

If they straight switched teams, Phoenix is over .500 and the Rockets are under?
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#65 » by Perseus1966 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:45 am

I agree ,but there is must be a formula .
If midds barely in ,i cant see why pascal ( the only raptor i like ) or tatum to be in all star.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 720

Post#66 » by DCRYsing89 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:04 am

At least spell the mans name right,

I feel it’s right to a degree,
For a team to be as dominant atm as the bucks are, they deserve more than 1 AllStar,
Because it can’t be Giannis single handidly carrying them to that record (to be fair he is doing a lot)
Allstar numbers ain’t all of it though, numbers can be inflated...

Ben Wallace never had ‘Allstar’ numbers, so he should of never been a Allstar?

Maybe they should add a team tournament, where the teams get together a squad (4 best in the league), and do some whacky challenges for Allstar weekend, as that is a much better way to recognise their teams acheivement... and could eliminate this.

Though atm the only snub in the east is Beal... whose team is sadly real trash... personally I believe Middleton is contributing to winning a lot more this season than Beal...

What I don’t understand is how did Ben Simmons still make it?
Wasn’t record, wasn’t stats...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,647

Post#67 » by KGtabake » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:59 am

No, the opposite.
If your team has 10-15 wins in 45 games, you are not an AllStar. If you were, your team would have been close to .500 at least.
And for the last time: There are two sides on the court. If you score 30 pts and you allow your matchup to score 30 or more, you are not a great player overall(and you shouldn't be an AllStar).
I know that some of you don't get it but it's true. Being a good player means also that you should be able to defend at a decent rate. Shocking i know.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
ItsMyPotPie
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#68 » by ItsMyPotPie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:00 am

You play a sport to win(even if you get carried to victory). Winning should be rewarded.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,667

Post#69 » by OdomFan » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:01 am

I don't have an issue with it because it's only good for business and the fans of the league to see not only the most popular individual stars, but some of it's most popular cores featured on all star game rosters line ups and benches.

It only leads to memorable moments in the game such as when All 4 members of the 06 Pistons came into the game and proceeded to show off their dominance on the defensive side of the court.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#70 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:41 am

Last year maybe, this year Khris is killing it.
Also **** the casual fans, they're always confused anyway.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,416

Post#71 » by Mr Puddles » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 am

youngthegiant wrote:No, why should players putting up empty stats get rewarded.

I feel like empty stats is being tossed around too easily. If every advanced metric shows that a team is better on the floor with a particular player, but the overall team result isn't there - can you really say he's putting up empty stats?

For example, if Khris Middelton was on the Wizards and Beal on the Bucks - Beal would be an all-star right now and Middelton wouldn't. This is not because their stats are suddenly translating into losses in Middeltons case and wins in Beals case, it's because Beal is now playing with Giannis and Middelton with Isaac Bonga.

Look at Damian Lillard. The Blazers were tied for the 5th best record in the league last year, this season they've almost already tied their entire loss total of the previous year while having 33 fewer wins.

TJ Warren is putting up almost identical stats to last year, but his team now has 31 wins vs. 19 wins for the entire season last year.

Did Damian Lillard just become and empty stats guy over night, and TJ Warren just figure out how to translate his stats into wins all of a sudden?
Spoiler:
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,578

Post#72 » by Pennebaker » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:13 am

Joerezz7 wrote:The NBA has a habit of multiple players making the all star team just because the team has the best record. For example the only person that should’ve made the all star team last year on the Bucks was Giannis. Chris Middleton made it too when we know he shouldn’t of. He didn’t put up all star numbers.

When the playoffs come around the media still decides to refer players like Chris Middleton as all stars. When the Raptors was playing the Bucks in the East Finals the media kept saying “the all star Chris Middleton”. To a casual fan they would assume that Middleton is one of the best players in the NBA. Then when he disappeared against the Raptors it leaves casual fans confused and also puts unnecessary pressure on the player too.

The Warriors had 4 all stars one year. Chauncey Billups Detroit Pistons had 4 all stars one year. That’s too many guys from one team. All those guys ain’t putting up all star numbers.

If a team like Denver has the best record at all star break this year then Jokic should be the only all star. Jamal Murray shouldn’t make the all star team just because the Nuggets have the best record. Murray better be putting up all star numbers if he wants to make the team.

All I’m saying is that players shouldn’t make the all star just for having the best record unless they putting up all star numbers

Middleton was an All-Star last year and he's much improved this year. He put up a HUGE improvement to his PER which went from 16.5 to 22.1, and he improved his scoring, FG%, 3PT% and FT%.

Actually Middleton's shooting percentages are all pretty stellar. .503 FG%, .432 3P%, .900 FT%.

Wow, right?

Hey at least the voters are consistent.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,419

Post#73 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:14 am

Asif16 wrote:This thread was made for Kris Middleton

25, 7, 5 per 36 on 62% TS%. This thread shouldn't be about him if it is.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,515

Post#74 » by boomershadow » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:03 am

It is an attempt by the NBA to begin building the next generation of stars.

Players on winning teams who have made All Star games will be more marketable. Lebron isnt gonna be around forever, and the torch has to be passed if the NBA is to continue marketing itself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#75 » by Lalouie » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:15 am

Joerezz7 wrote:The NBA has a habit of multiple players making the all star team just because the team has the best record. For example the only person that should’ve made the all star team last year on the Bucks was Giannis. Chris Middleton made it too when we know he shouldn’t of. He didn’t put up all star numbers.

When the playoffs come around the media still decides to refer players like Chris Middleton as all stars. When the Raptors was playing the Bucks in the East Finals the media kept saying “the all star Chris Middleton”. To a casual fan they would assume that Middleton is one of the best players in the NBA. Then when he disappeared against the Raptors it leaves casual fans confused and also puts unnecessary pressure on the player too.

The Warriors had 4 all stars one year. Chauncey Billups Detroit Pistons had 4 all stars one year. That’s too many guys from one team. All those guys ain’t putting up all star numbers.

If a team like Denver has the best record at all star break this year then Jokic should be the only all star. Jamal Murray shouldn’t make the all star team just because the Nuggets have the best record. Murray better be putting up all star numbers if he wants to make the team.

All I’m saying is that players shouldn’t make the all star just for having the best record unless they putting up all star numbers

I'd first rather see the nba NOT give lottery picks to the worst teams in the league.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,445

Post#76 » by TheNG » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 am

I personally think that the all star is an event for the fans hence it should be decided 100% by the votes of the fans.
Even today it's not really about the best players in the league (although there is some corellation).
But if, hypothetically, it was about the best players in the league, then surely team winning is a huge indicator for that. The goal in basketball is not to put huge numbers or to have good stats (even the new buzzed advanced ones), but to win.
The league should not encourage stat padders as it partly does today.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 1,001

Post#77 » by Bucksmaniac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 pm

Actually what should have happened if you watched the Bucks’ reg season last year is Bledsoe should have taken Khris’ spot. I think you should have at least two all stars in 12 spots when you have the clear best record unless all the candidates have really low stats (say 12 points or less per game).
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,179

Post#78 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:58 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Young gun 6 wrote:This thread was literally made for Westbrook being chosen over Booker.

Lol. Quit w/ this stuff. Westbrook is an 8 time all star that has been a major contributor to playoff-level teams pretty much his entire career - he’s 12th in PPG, 8th in assists, 8th in steals, and 30th in rebounds as a 6’3” guard - and he plays on a winning team in the West. Plus he’s got the intangibles that make him a draw for an event like the ASG.

Booker’s 5 year career has basically been putting up gaudy numbers on one of the worst tanking teams in the league - and now cause they aren’t actively trying to lose as many games as possible in an embarrassing fashion for the first time ever, he suddenly deserves an all star nod? Isn’t his $30M/yr no expectations attached contact enough? I just think he’s got to win more games than he loses at least once before he’s gonna get it over WC guards who are winning. The West just has a lot of strong guards on its good teams. It’s harder.

Westbrook takes 4 more shots per game and STILL scores less than Booker. When Booker and Westbrook are both on the floor, the Rockets point differential is only 1 PPG better than the Suns. When they’re both off the floor, the Rockets are 11 PPG better. It’s pretty obvious which one is actually having a real positive impact on winning.
Bucksmaniac
Analyst
And1: 1,001

Post#79 » by Bucksmaniac » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:Middleton was one of the 7 best players in the East regardless of what team he was on. He’s a terrible example of someone being gifted a spot they didn’t deserve. He’s averaging 25/7/5 per 36 on 50/43/90 splits while playing great defense. He’s 9th in the league in RPM. He’s really having a fantastic season.

They’re questioning last year’s selection of Middleton which is quite fair as his impact on winning was a bit more limited than this year so far.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,179

Post#80 » by iggymcfrack » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:09 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
youngthegiant wrote:No, why should players putting up empty stats get rewarded.

I feel like empty stats is being tossed around too easily. If every advanced metric shows that a team is better on the floor with a particular player, but the overall team result isn't there - can you really say he's putting up empty stats?

For example, if Khris Middelton was on the Wizards and Beal on the Bucks - Beal would be an all-star right now and Middelton wouldn't. This is not because their stats are suddenly translating into losses in Middeltons case and wins in Beals case, it's because Beal is now playing with Giannis and Middelton with Isaac Bonga.

Look at Damian Lillard. The Blazers were tied for the 5th best record in the league last year, this season they've almost already tied their entire loss total of the previous year while having 33 fewer wins.

TJ Warren is putting up almost identical stats to last year, but his team now has 31 wins vs. 19 wins for the entire season last year.

Did Damian Lillard just become and empty stats guy over night, and TJ Warren just figure out how to translate his stats into wins all of a sudden?

I get your general point, but Beal’s a terrible example. He was always overrated and this year he seems to have decided that he’s so important to the offense that he doesn’t have to try at all.

Middleton has better numbers than Beal this year and he’s MILES better on defense. If you switch them, the Bucks would definitely come back to the pack in the East and the Wizards would probably be in playoff position ahead of Brooklyn and/or Orlando.

Return to The General Board