OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,306

Re: OT: Are Coaches In Suits Done For Good? 

Post#61 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:14 am

I hate and hope nobody in sports ever wears a suit again out of expectation. Suits are hands down the dumbest crap ever!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#62 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:18 am

UcanUwill wrote:I like wearing suits so if I was coach, I would wear one. Now you know, put a good PR on me to your local NBA GM.

you do you, but I'm assuming you're less intelligent if I see you in a suit lol. And I'm in finance. It's funny...it's actually shaped my view of sales guys at conferences where they're trying to sell tech and solutions. Anyone in a tie, makes me want to pull away. And a suit..dear lord, sorry I'm not even talking to you.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,953

Post#63 » by azcatz11 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:19 am

dhsilv2 wrote:I hate and hope nobody in sports ever wears a suit again out of expectation. Suits are hands down the dumbest crap ever!

So do you want everyone wearing pajamas everyday? Because that's sure what it sounds like
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,438

Post#64 » by Scalabrine » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:24 am

BK_2020 wrote:They should wear uniforms just like baseball coaches.

Go Knicks!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#65 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:25 am

sikma42 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Yes. Society in general is going to more casual dressing. Was happening before COVID, and COVID expeditated it.

This. I think suits are done for now, unless for weddings/funerals and conservative industries..In my field showing up in a suit for an interview may signify you arent a cultural fit

I hate that I still expect candidates to be in a suit for an interview....and yet, I won't even talk to someone in a suit professionally if I don't need them otherwise. It's a weird world. Overall, I'm debating just ending my suit life style unless I'm interviewing and even then, I'm not sure.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:29 am

BoatsNZones wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:No one wears suits anymore. Even in business. Maybe Wall Street east cost banker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the financial district of any city in the world to see suits.

I worked for a fortune 500 bank, in corporate finance, at the downtown office. We dropped the suit requirement 5 plus years ago for anyone who wasn't seeing a client. So yeah, SALES people wear suits and most of us when they dropped that....we'd already bought all those dang suits. So we kept wearing a suit...just without a tie. But we're moving forward.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,789

Post#67 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:40 am

Suits at work was always a dumb idea anyway... they are made from fragile materials that are meant for special formal occasions and not for work. To make them suitable for work they add a whole bunch of polyester in the fabric, or worse, those horrible polyester linings, and good luck with that if you have any sort of skin sensitivity. Add to this that a suit basically never get washed, just steamed with chemicals so that the dried ball sweat and skin flake cake that forms over time doesn't stink, and add the fact that they are horrible for regulating your body temperature because they leave open the neck and chest which is probably where you catch most of your colds from, and you have a super disgusting and uncomfortable minor health hazard. And yeah they do look good on people who are slim and fit, but lets face it, most people aren't.

Suits at work was basically always a statement that "I don't do manual labour like you".
Just a dumb idea all around.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#68 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:41 am

trueballer7 wrote:Unless you do manual labor, dressing up like an adult should be mandatory.

Agree, t-shirt and shorts! Adults don't wear costumes like children! And suits are the shame of humanity, no adult would want to wear that ever.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#69 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:42 am

D.Brasco wrote:I hope not

American guys are way better dresssed. Not even a question!
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#70 » by BoatsNZones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:44 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:No one wears suits anymore. Even in business. Maybe Wall Street east cost banker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go to the financial district of any city in the world to see suits.

I worked for a fortune 500 bank, in corporate finance, at the downtown office. We dropped the suit requirement 5 plus years ago for anyone who wasn't seeing a client. So yeah, SALES people wear suits and most of us when they dropped that....we'd already bought all those dang suits. So we kept wearing a suit...just without a tie. But we're moving forward.

I visit world financial centers often and they're still fairly omnipresent. America (US) is definitely more lenient in the past decade, though. And you're right that it's more of mid-level suit these days.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#71 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:47 am

azcatz11 wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:I agree. Suits should come back. Plus, chix dig men in suits.

And a well fitting suit is way more comfortable than any other type of clothing. Nothing better than putting on a nice wrinkle free shirt right from the dry cleaner

There's NOTHING comfortable about long pants or shirts that go past your elbow. Unless you're outside in the COLD! I always say this, would you go to the gym and workout in it? If not..it isn't comfortable. Suits............you can't even get full normal range of motion in them.
HollowEarth
Starter
And1: 2,100

Post#72 » by HollowEarth » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:48 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:
HollowEarth wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
And a well fitting suit is way more comfortable than any other type of clothing. Nothing better than putting on a nice wrinkle free shirt right from the dry cleaner

No way. Suits have value. Zooted is right about looking good to chicks, or looking important, or looking upper-class. Suits are all about image. No way it's more comfortable though. If it really is the most comfy, go change your oil in a suit. Nobody changes their oil in a suit, and that's the whole point of the suit. The suit conveys the message: I can pay a man to change my oil.
That isn't because it is uncomfortable but because oil is messy.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Brake pads then
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#73 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:50 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:They should be able to wear anything. They could look like Daddy Rich (RIP Chuck Daly), or they could dress comfortable.

Do you believe in dress codes at nice restaurants? This is the same principle

No.........if I can't wear a backwards baseball cap and shorts, I'll leave. I'm also a guy who runs a youtube channel where we almost exclusively drink 200 if not 500 plus dollar bottles of whisky. I drive a BMW. I work in banking. Dressing up is idiotic at best!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#74 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 5:58 am

Optms wrote:
JDR720 wrote:Dress codes are dumb 90% of the time.

Coaches being required to wear suits is one of those times. Why do coaches need to look "professional"? They're coaching a sport, not doing a presentation at a business meeting.

If you are against NBA coaches wearing suits, then why should business presenters be required to wear suits? Where is the logic here?

Both are highly skilled professions. The difference is there is even more eyes and money involved in this 'game'. At least be consistent.

I absolutely hate dealing with bankers in suits. They look like they're in costumes. It's hard to look at someone dressed like we're in the artic while inside.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#75 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:00 am

HollowEarth wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:I agree. Suits should come back. Plus, chix dig men in suits.

No way. Suits have value. Zooted is right about looking good to chicks, or looking important, or looking upper-class. Suits are all about image. No way it's more comfortable though. If it really is the most comfy, go change your oil in a suit. Nobody changes their oil in a suit, and that's the whole point of the suit. The suit conveys the message: I can pay a man to change my oil.

LMAO - they say "i need to sell you something today or I can't pay my bills".
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#76 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:05 am

azcatz11 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I hate and hope nobody in sports ever wears a suit again out of expectation. Suits are hands down the dumbest crap ever!

So do you want everyone wearing pajamas everyday? Because that's sure what it sounds like

Im ok with that. But if a "man" wears anything with shoulder pads, they should be thrown out of a the room. That's vomit looking. If you can't play basketball in what you're wearing, NOPE! And HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no, nobody insider should be wearing a freaking COAT!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#77 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:11 am

BoatsNZones wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:Go to the financial district of any city in the world to see suits.

I visit world financial centers often and they're still fairly omnipresent. America (US) is definitely more lenient in the past decade, though. And you're right that it's more of mid-level suit these days.

Yeah I work in global finance, our European guys seem to still over dress still a bit more. This is in the context of non sales roles. Sales is still in suits and I honestly don't get that. I remember when I worked in "fin tech", it was WEIRD when we had 20 bankers come in, suited up, and even our CEO was in jeans and a dress shirt (sure his jeans and shirt cost more than my suits...and I don't buy CHEAP suits). It was just weird when we'd have VP's and SVP's in shorts in a room, that was hot, with people in freaking coats.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,578

Post#78 » by Pennebaker » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:19 am

jokeboy86 wrote:I know this started in the bubble and still exists now but I have a feeling this isn't coming back and if I were a coach I would prefer it didn't rather than wearing a suit that depending on the game I could be pouring in sweat by the end of. Plus even with tailor made suits I can't imagine it's more comfortable than their current attire.

I'm actually curious where does the whole practice of certain sports coaches wearing suits comes from.

a suit conveys power. this is the reason donald trump is rarely seen without a suit on.

that's one thing. another thing is that women find men in suits very attractive. that probably also contributes to trump's suit wearing habit.

the suit wearing coach will never go away entirely. there will always be one somewhere.
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
And1: 11,585

Post#79 » by 6ixSideSniper » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:27 am

Damn it seems like I’m in the minority, I actually liked when coaches wore suits. I still remember Nick Nurse stuntin’ in his rookie year in that nice black and blue suit with the matching tie, I also loved watching what oversized suit Dwayne Casey would wear for the game.
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS

Rest In Peace The_Hater
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#80 » by BoatsNZones » Thu Dec 2, 2021 6:28 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Yeah I work in global finance, our European guys seem to still over dress still a bit more. This is in the context of non sales roles. Sales is still in suits and I honestly don't get that. I remember when I worked in "fin tech", it was WEIRD when we had 20 bankers come in, suited up, and even our CEO was in jeans and a dress shirt (sure his jeans and shirt cost more than my suits...and I don't buy CHEAP suits). It was just weird when we'd have VP's and SVP's in shorts in a room, that was hot, with people in freaking coats.

:lol: Story adds up. If I'm not consulting with a COO or the equivalent it's always a suit (and in my job, it is realistically 70% that), but I have not worn one in a decade.

Return to The General Board