End of an era (TNT's Inside the NBA)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,435

Re: End of an era (TNT's Inside the NBA) 

Post#61 » by Onus » Wed May 22, 2024 6:23 pm

This is my wife's favorite part of watching basketball ...
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,818

Post#62 » by ryguy613 » Wed May 22, 2024 6:49 pm

I complain a lot about the TNT broadcast (with good reason) but obviously Inside the NBA is absolutely iconic, and for better or worse it shaped pre and post game content across the american sports landscape. I have a TON of great memories watching ITNBA. The format really was special and entertaining. It was a lot of fun, and I will look back on it fondly. It was probably past time for it to go, but now that it's gone... i have to admit, I do feel a bit sad.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,934

Post#63 » by Michael Bradley » Wed May 22, 2024 6:50 pm

Game 7 of the Nuggets/Wolves series drew 8.41 million viewers on TNT/TruTV, which was the highest viewership of the season for the NBA (so far).

Game 7 of the Knicks/Pacers series was on broadcast (ABC), and only did 6.45 million viewers, which was "down 11% in ratings and 24% in viewership from Sixers-Celtics in the same window last year (3.9, 8.44M) and the least-watched second round Game 7 on broadcast television since Blazers-Nuggets in 2019 (6.35M)."

I'm not saying the viewership difference was due to Inside the NBA, it could have been for any number of factors, but the fact that a game on cable whooped a game on broadcast TV (which involved the biggest market in the US) is a pretty wild outcome. Turner and Inside the NBA have a loyal NBA following, and while broadcast is better for a league than cable (especially today), it's not guaranteed to translate to higher viewership.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,653

Re: End of an era 

Post#64 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Wed May 22, 2024 7:05 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Kenny and EJ used to do the show by themselves with random 3rds added in before Chuck joined. Kenny would be fine. Shaq...he wont' work anywhere.

Nah the show wasnā€™t anything before Chuck. Kenny has always sucked.

The show was great before Chuck. Now it was better with him. But that show was always good. It used to just be more serious and you'd actually learn something. But that was great too. And early chuck actually knew things even!

Kennyā€™s always been winging it. Never said a thing I needed to hear.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,455

Post#65 » by Jables » Wed May 22, 2024 7:16 pm

Clemenza wrote:I like Inside The NBA just as much as the next guy, but they got Emmys & ratings for basically hating on current players. Even worse now with Draymond on the show. Maybe it is time for them to hang it up.

It's the most popular sports show ever, I remember way back when they were criticising Kobe which no one in the (basketball) media did at the time, so Barkley was fond of telling the story of how Kobe yelled at him over the phone all night and it's pretty much because he was untouchable in the media, not far from how LeBron is now, it was irrelevant to their success it was just a symptom. You are only allowed to genuinely criticise LeBron or a lot of stars on certain shows if you're doing a bit like Bayless does. Inside the NBA got great ratings because they acted like real people and gave real opinions.

Meanwhile First Take were having a go at injured players back in the day to make up controversy, that's what "hating on current players" looks like. Kenny was reluctant after a certain point to take a negative stance on anything, so his shine fell off.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#66 » by life_saver » Wed May 22, 2024 7:36 pm

I don't care..I also doubt Adam Silver prefers to have their main show openly criticizing and **** on players, on-court product. Some of these guys don't even watch the games
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,031

Post#67 » by Bulliever2020 » Wed May 22, 2024 7:45 pm

All these Inside the NBA haters must really love loudmouth Stephen A and ancient Wilbon. I can't imagine choosing that show over this one.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,989

Your Thoughts On Inside The NBA Currently? 

Post#68 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 22, 2024 8:10 pm

I'm actually surprised to hear the wide range of thoughts on Inside the NBA as a show since i thought it was practically loved by the NBA universe. I get nitpicking things like wishing Shaq didn't join or that they provided more legit analysis but overall, I consider it the best sports show out there BY FAR from an entertainment perspective.

I think it would be a massive loss for the nba if they lost this show. There were many times where I preferred watching inside the nba over a load managed regular season game. So what are your thoughts on Inside the NBA as a show? Just curious on where people stand with the show.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,982

Re: Your Thoughts On Inside The NBA Currently? 

Post#69 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:22 pm

Love it. 10/10.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,321

Re: End of an era 

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:22 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Nah the show wasnā€™t anything before Chuck. Kenny has always sucked.

The show was great before Chuck. Now it was better with him. But that show was always good. It used to just be more serious and you'd actually learn something. But that was great too. And early chuck actually knew things even!

Kennyā€™s always been winging it. Never said a thing I needed to hear.

Kenny is good x's and o's for younger fans getting into the game. I think we forget that a huge part of their job is to create a future set of a fans and it's actually pretty hard to learn a sport without the tv personalities explaining it. Not everyone has a parent who teaches them sports.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,356

Post#71 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 22, 2024 8:24 pm

life_saver wrote:I don't care..I also doubt Adam Silver prefers to have their main show openly criticizing and **** on players, on-court product. Some of these guys don't even watch the games

If you're going with ESPN, you're going with SAS who **** on players and a network that doesn't care about 2/3 of the NBA.
Texas Chuck wrote:we watch super slow motion replay from 4 different angles and get angry if a ref missed something at full speed in real time . . . Newsflash to fans--it doesn't slow down matrix style for the refs as the game is going on
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,285

Post#72 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 22, 2024 8:25 pm

Goodā€¦Iā€™ll only miss Ernie.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Drakeem
Sixth Man
And1: 2,162

Post#73 » by Drakeem » Wed May 22, 2024 8:31 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:I'm actually surprised to hear the wide range of thoughts on Inside the NBA as a show since i thought it was practically loved by the NBA universe. I get nitpicking things like wishing Shaq didn't join or that they provided more legit analysis but overall, I consider it the best sports show out there BY FAR from an entertainment perspective.

I think it would be a massive loss for the nba if they lost this show. There were many times where I preferred watching inside the nba over a load managed regular season game. So what are your thoughts on Inside the NBA as a show? Just curious on where people stand with the show.
The majority of people DO love it. The internet is very rarely an accurate portrayal of what reality thinks.
balleramil wrote:My Summer by Jarrett Jack

The one thing you don't know about our team is...
At practice we play freeze tag
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,617

Post#74 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 pm

I don't watch it religiously.

I guess it's entertaining. The actual basketball takes are often comically awful. But that's not the real draw anyway.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,989

Post#75 » by Tor_Raps » Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Drakeem wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:I'm actually surprised to hear the wide range of thoughts on Inside the NBA as a show since i thought it was practically loved by the NBA universe. I get nitpicking things like wishing Shaq didn't join or that they provided more legit analysis but overall, I consider it the best sports show out there BY FAR from an entertainment perspective.

The majority of people DO love it. The internet is very rarely an accurate portrayal of what reality thinks.

Ya I think so too but wanted to take a poll to get people who love basketball think.
Sealab2024
Senior
And1: 784

Post#76 » by Sealab2024 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:33 pm

Drakeem wrote:

I keep telling people we've passed the dead internet theory threshold but nobody seems to believe me.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,703

Post#77 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 pm

I sometimes look forward to the show more than the games.

Best sports entertainment I have ever seen. A lot of laughs. Sad day for me, but at least we get to celebrate them together for 1 more year!
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,154

Post#78 » by Dominator83 » Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Never cared for it. Feels like 80% of it is commercial breaks. And when it is on they're mostly just analyzing the 1 or 2 games theyre broadcasting. Not exactly doing a round robin covering the whole league. I voted subpar
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 9,018

Post#79 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed May 22, 2024 8:34 pm

Good show, terrible basketball analysis.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,280

Post#80 » by Curmudgeon » Wed May 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Used to be excellent, but Shaq ruined it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to The General Board