Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#601 » by DroseReturnChi » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:43 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
penggemar wrote:Theo Maledon had a good game in a win against Orlando

He is a true point guard with his ability to run the offense and manipulate the defense.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

yeah always liked him better than overrated hayes. poor guy salary is what one fifth??
OKC just needs poku to show up bc they invested a lot for pick 17.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,331

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#602 » by ThunderBolt » Sun Jan 3, 2021 1:56 pm

Spoiler:
DroseReturnChi wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
penggemar wrote:Theo Maledon had a good game in a win against Orlando

He is a true point guard with his ability to run the offense and manipulate the defense.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

yeah always liked him better than overrated hayes. poor guy salary is what one fifth??
OKC just needs poku to show up bc they invested a lot for pick 17.

If Poku shows up it will probably be in 2023. He's not even close to physically or mentally ready right now. I'll give him a couple of years to develop but he's not going to amount to anything this year other than comedic relief.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
arusinov
Sophomore
And1: 257

Post#603 » by arusinov » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:12 pm

Deni's passing skills

In transition:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

After p&r:

Read on Twitter
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,798

Post#604 » by oldshoolballer » Sun Jan 3, 2021 2:31 pm

I love Quickley. He got injured in game one so most NBA fans haven't seen him. Plays like a vet. Excellent shooter and decision maker. Knicks got an absolute steal at 25.
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#605 » by JustinSane » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:11 pm

I've only watched him for a game and a half (Pistons fan) but Payton Pritchard looks like a disruptive defender. He'll probably get a few fouls called against him, but he reminds me a little of Lindsey Hunter as a defensive tone setter PG off the bench.
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#606 » by BugginOut » Sun Jan 3, 2021 9:11 pm

oldshoolballer wrote:
I love Quickley. He got injured in game one so most NBA fans haven't seen him. Plays like a vet. Excellent shooter and decision maker. Knicks got an absolute steal at 25.

Quicksanity is coming. This board better get ready :lol:
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,195

Post#607 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:14 am

Nice first basket by Xavier Tillman Sr. in his first NBA game.

Always puts himself in the right position, plays great defense, smart player. He's going to be in the league a long time.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#608 » by Crizzle » Mon Jan 4, 2021 4:33 am

Desmond Bane has been a great pickup for the grizz. Hope he can improve his ball handling, but the kid can stroke it
anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,019

Post#609 » by anotherhomer » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:12 am

james wiseman looking good
Heej
General Manager
And1: 9,032

Post#610 » by Heej » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:45 am

arusinov wrote:Deni's passing skills

In transition:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

After p&r:

Read on Twitter

How's his scoring been?
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
arusinov
Sophomore

Post#611 » by arusinov » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:53 am

Heej wrote:
arusinov wrote:Deni's passing skills

How's his scoring been?

Very efficient (7.1 ppg on 63.8 TS%) but very very low usage (11%)
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#612 » by SwipeDaFox » Mon Jan 4, 2021 9:03 am

I still don't think Deni has a good enough handle or big and vast enough shots repertoire to take on himself to create shots for himself on a consistent basis with good efficiency (Posting up or driving right after moving off the ball after a curl would be his best offensive move in the half court) - I actually think the way he's brought up is good, playing off of the main guys at first and using his IQ to find his own niche and see what he can do in the flow of the game.

Still don't think he's a guy you put the ball in his hands and let him operate - that will come with time. He can take more occasional pick and roll situations though cause he really excels passing out of it - but creating for himself in the PNR is still a struggle for him I think and will lead to some forced shots.

His defense has definitely been the key area in his game so far and what earned him the most credit and playing time, besides his high IQ and simple game offensively with flashes every now and then - the kid really has an amazing knack for team basketball, is extremely aware, always has a hand in the shooters face and is always alert when to help, where to move, what to show defensively to prevent penetration and close the paint and then on the alert when to return to his player which is extremely hard.

The place he's surprised me the most though, is when he's put on an island or gets switched off to smaller guys - he really uses his size and length well - and arguably has the best feel for vertically raising his hands up without fouling for a rookie in all my years watching the game. Cause he's a rookie he gets called BS fouls, but he just really really plays solid D and showed the ability to switch basically 1-5 and get stops which is ridicules cause even I questioned his footspeed - but his positioning is so on point and his knowledge of how to use his body is so good that he just gets it done.

Really, really impressed with him defensively on the perimeter which was my biggest question mark for him early on.
arusinov
Sophomore

Post#613 » by arusinov » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:28 am

SwipeDaFox wrote:I still don't think Deni has a good enough handle or big and vast enough shots repertoire to take on himself to create shots for himself on a consistent basis with good efficiency (Posting up or driving right after moving off the ball after a curl would be his best offensive move in the half court) - I actually think the way he's brought up is good, playing off of the main guys at first and using his IQ to find his own niche and see what he can do in the flow of the game.

Still don't think he's a guy you put the ball in his hands and let him operate - that will come with time. He can take more occasional pick and roll situations though cause he really excels passing out of it - but creating for himself in the PNR is still a struggle for him I think and will lead to some forced shots.

His defense has definitely been the key area in his game so far and what earned him the most credit and playing time, besides his high IQ and simple game offensively with flashes every now and then - the kid really has an amazing knack for team basketball, is extremely aware, always has a hand in the shooters face and is always alert when to help, where to move, what to show defensively to prevent penetration and close the paint and then on the alert when to return to his player which is extremely hard.

The place he's surprised me the most though, is when he's put on an island or gets switched off to smaller guys - he really uses his size and length well - and arguably has the best feel for vertically raising his hands up without fouling for a rookie in all my years watching the game. Cause he's a rookie he gets called BS fouls, but he just really really plays solid D and showed the ability to switch basically 1-5 and get stops which is ridicules cause even I questioned his footspeed - but his positioning is so on point and his knowledge of how to use his body is so good that he just gets it done.

Really, really impressed with him defensively on the perimeter which was my biggest question mark for him early on.

Well. Number of times he had chance to run p&r is very very small... More or less every time he did it - the result was successful
Now the one case he took the pull up jumper he missed - but it was ok shot (he wouldn't probably do it if it wasn't the situation when there was very little time to try to close gap in last game minutes), he didn't miss badly and this one miss doesn't mean much
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#614 » by SwipeDaFox » Mon Jan 4, 2021 10:51 am

arusinov wrote:
SwipeDaFox wrote:I still don't think Deni has a good enough handle or big and vast enough shots repertoire to take on himself to create shots for himself on a consistent basis with good efficiency (Posting up or driving right after moving off the ball after a curl would be his best offensive move in the half court) - I actually think the way he's brought up is good, playing off of the main guys at first and using his IQ to find his own niche and see what he can do in the flow of the game.

Well. Number of times he had chance to run p&r is very very small... More or less every time he did it - the result was successful
Now the one case he took the pull up jumper he missed - but it was ok shot (he wouldn't probably do it if it wasn't the situation when there was very little time to try to close gap in last game minutes), he didn't miss badly and this one miss doesn't mean much

I think the way to develop him is through playing mistake-less basketball making the right plays, and slowly extending his offensive repertoire - I think pushing him to do things too much too fast would be a mistake it needs to happen with the flow of the game and in specific areas and situations/lineups that will benefit him.

But he does need to have more PNR as the ball handler or even as the screener - not a large amount, but some.

He’s just getting started. He needs to nurture the good habits he showed so far, and his talent will surface one way or another anyways.
arusinov
Sophomore

Post#615 » by arusinov » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:11 am

SwipeDaFox wrote:
arusinov wrote:

I think the way to develop him is through playing mistake-less basketball making the right plays, and slowly extending his offensive repertoire - I think pushing him to do things too much too fast would be a mistake it needs to happen with the flow of the game and in specific areas and situations/lineups that will benefit him.

But he does need to have more PNR as the ball handler or even as the screener - not a large amount, but some.

He’s just getting started. He needs to nurture the good habits he showed so far, and his talent will surface one way or another anyways.

Well. What I see: he is way too passive - and even if he doesn't get ball that much there're cases when he can (and seemingly even expected by other players) to be creative. It's not about something to develop - he has quite proven abilities he's shown in Euroleague (not speaking I-BSL) and in the pre-season: he can drive right strong against slower defenders (and it's not like he's pressed to go left by defenses now), he can finish or assist on those drives, he can post-up smaller defenders, and yes... he can call p&r and read the state...

But he seems to settle totally in the mode of being 3&D role player (better than other options... e.g. Bonga) and I think it has very bad impact on his development (it's not really surprising that when he tries to do something creative like once per game his skills seem to be rusty). The worst thing is: the day his defense is even a bit worse than usual and Bertans has ok shooting outing (4/10 3P in this case) Deni gets reduced to 16 min like last game against Nets and it will continue this way.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#616 » by DroseReturnChi » Mon Jan 4, 2021 11:45 am

arusinov wrote:
SwipeDaFox wrote:
arusinov wrote:

Well. What I see: he is way too passive - and even if he doesn't get ball that much there're cases when he can (and seemingly even expected by other players) to be creative. It's not about something to develop - he has quite proven abilities he's shown in Euroleague (not speaking I-BSL) and in the pre-season: he can drive right strong against slower defenders (and it's not like he's pressed to go left by defenses now), he can finish or assist on those drives, he can post-up smaller defenders, and yes... he can call p&r and read the state...

But he seems to settle totally in the mode of being 3&D role player (better than other options... e.g. Bonga) and I think it has very bad impact on his development (it's not really surprising that when he tries to do something creative like once per game his skills seem to be rusty). The worst thing is: the day his defense is even a bit worse than usual and Bertans has ok shooting outing (4/10 3P in this case) Deni gets reduced to 16 min like last game against Nets and it will continue this way.

I mean what do you expect behind chuckers in Beal, Westbrook? Starting 3and D is not bad bc Deni had terrible shooting splits before. IMO, he needs to prove like J Brown to be a capable shooter first to make the next step.
PW and Okoro are all same role but the latter is way too passive and suspect his jumper isnt that great.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#617 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jan 4, 2021 5:11 pm

When's the last time Rookies were putting in these really solid performances on a nightly basis? One of the best draft classes in the last decade.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#618 » by amcoolio » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:04 pm

LaMelo is 10th in the NBA in steals at 1.8 SPG, he has quick hands
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#619 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 4, 2021 6:25 pm

amcoolio wrote:LaMelo is 10th in the NBA in steals at 1.8 SPG, he has quick hands

As much as they lacked basketball structure in that house the natural instinct and IQ is rampant with the Ball Bros. Something that anyone who watched them sans narrative couldn't really deny.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,790

Post#620 » by Kalela » Tue Jan 5, 2021 12:36 am

I don't know if this has been posted already or not. Hayes is not looking so good so far going by the stats but I thought he looked okay against the Celtics in the last two games. Definitely a project but one with a lot of promise.

Read on Twitter
Fire Mazzulla

Return to The General Board