[WOJ/SHAMS] 4 Way Blockbuster, Harden to BK, Prince and Allen to Cavs, Oladipo, Exum, Picks to Hou, Levert to Ind

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,697

Re: [WOJ/SHAMS] 4 Way Blockbuster, Harden to BK, Prince and Allen to Cavs, Oladipo, Exum, Picks to Hou, Levert to Ind 

Post#741 » by JMAC3 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Crazy deal.

Love it for Cavs.
Love it for Pacers.

Nets are going to be a title contender with those three guys for the next two years at least. Even moving forward after that they will probably be able to keep at least two of the three. My best guess is they make 2 finals in the next 4 years and win at least one title.

I get the picks could come back to bite them, but if you aren't trying to win the title then what are you doing? Look I love what the Pacers did, but they aren't winning the title for the next 5 years unless they get extremely extremely lucky. How can you punish the Nets for trying to make a run at a title with 3 top 15 players? If as an organization you don't want 3 top 15 guys and be a title favorite then what are you trying to build?

Hate the deal for Houston. It is a cool idea to try and "short" a franchise and push picks out 5+ years, but you also have to guarantee yourself something as well. Simmons was an all-star you can build around and with no pressure to win he could of really worked on his individual game. Now they have an expiring Oladipo, who will likely skip town the hour FA opens. I think it would be different if they owned their own picks and could go full rebuild, but they don't OKC has them by the balls so it is going to be extremely difficult for them to land top picks if they are banking fully on these Nets picks to pay off.

At the end of the day, I am not sure any of these picks end up netting them a player even half as good as Simmons, Hero or Porter Jr. Think Houston's GM wants to be the new Presti, but Presti got SGA plus all those picks so he guaranteed himself something and didn't bank completely on Clippers having to go full on tragic tank mode.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,192

Re: [WOJ/SHAMS] 4 Way Blockbuster, Harden to BK, Prince and Allen to Cavs, Oladipo, Exum, Picks to Hou, Levert to Ind 

Post#742 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:49 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Does this really make the Nets favorites over the Bucks in the East? Bucks currently have the best offense in the NBA and are strong defensively at every spot in the starting five. They also matchup very well with BKN (Holiday on Irving, DiVencenzo or Middleton on Harden, Giannis on Durant).

Bucks play both sides of the ball. That matters. And Giannis is going to absolutely destroy the Nets as well.

Bucks are absolutely awful in the playoffs and constantly get bounced by lower seeded teams.

Nets would win in 5 games easily.

The Bucks have been getting bounced by terrific defensive squads/schemes. The Nets have neither right now.

I mean the Bucks have never had to face a super team though.

I'm not convinced Giannis can raise his game in the playoffs when it matters. Hes shown no ability to do so.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,095

Post#743 » by Durant Durant » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:52 pm

if Irving keeps his head straight moving forward, Nets are shoo-ins for the 'ship.
No no yes yes
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#744 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:55 pm

jwise44 wrote:
kuclas wrote:So all Houston gets is 4 future unprotected first plus 4 draft picks (essentially 3 draft picks since 2021-2022 Rockets won't be better than 2021-2022 Nets). and expiring Victor Oladipo.

This shows you Houston was not able to get a young 'star" player. They got greedy. I'm sure Boston or Philly would have offer any of their role players plus the same draft picks.

All Houston has is wishing the Nets implode after the 2022 season with Harden/KD/Irving walking away. If they don't walk away, the Rockets are looking at no draft swaps till at least 2025 that is any value. And 2 future first late 1st round picks.

The Nets didn't trade for 36/37 year old KG/Paul Pierce here. They got 28 year old Irving/32 year old KD/31 year old Harden. These guys with modern NBA load management can easily play 4 years together at or near their peak. counting on an implosion is wishful thinking.

I think they could have gotten a young “star”. I think we could have gotten Ben Simmons

Our owner just wanted to save money by getting expiring and picks. Tillman is the worst.

It was honestly shocking to me that Simmons was offered and Tillman went with the Nets deal.

Clearly he was acting out of spite instead of doing whats best for the team.

Simmons. Thybulle, a first rounder to me is far better than the Brooklyn offer.

They better hope the Nets are terrible by 2027, of they won't get anyone close to as good as Simmons.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,406

Post#745 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:58 pm

Pablo Escobar wrote:
Giannis will get locked up again as usual and nobody cares about Middleton or Jrue. Nobody can stop those 3 from getting buckets individually and now they're all on the same team :lol:. Tbh you guys might not even be better than the Celtics or Heat much less be the favs coming out of the East.

Locked up by who on Brooklyn? There is no Kawhi or Bam on that team.

I know people like to rail on the Bucks for the last two years, but lets remember that Giannis just turned 26. Apparently he's expected to have multiple titles already.

This years Bucks team is far more built for the playoffs. Holiday is a MASSIVE playoff upgrade over Bledsoe. He plays in control, takes good shots, is a better 3 point shooter, and a better/bigger/more versatile defender. His defense this year has blown me away.

DiVencenzo is a great defender who can also hit the 3, drive the ball, and is a very good passer. He's far more versatile than Matthews, who was a great 3/D guy but had zero offensive versatility.

Bucks bench is definitely weaker than last year, but their starting five is considerably better, especially factoring in that Middleton has improved again from last years great season. The Bucks have zero defensive holes in their starting five, and if Lopez continues his current 3 point shooting, they have four guys who can hit the 3 (currently lead the NBA in 3 point percentage) along with the best paint scorer in the league.

Are the Nets more talented offensively? Yes. Are they a more complete team than the Bucks? No. People will compare this Nets team to the 2016-17 Warriors. That Warriors team was 1st on O and 2nd on D. They were a great defensive team. This Nets team is going to be a sieve defensively and has a far greater chance at chemistry issues than that GSW squad. We will see.
Khashbaatar
Junior
And1: 164

Post#746 » by Khashbaatar » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 pm

Harden: I am sick and tired of these double teams
KD: What if I told you ...
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 737

Re: [WOJ/SHAMS/RAMONA] HARDEN TO BROOKLYN NETS.... 

Post#747 » by kan_t » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
niQ wrote:Let me guess. Philly didn't want to give up Maxey?

I'd venture a guess that it was the lack of pick haul that the Nets gave up that kept the Sixers on the sidelines for this one...

I just think the Rockets never truly want to trade Harden to Morey. They traded Harden for an expiring contract, 4 first round picks and 3 pick swap right.

Say Morey only offered them Simmons, Thybulle and 1 first round pick, it would be hard for me to believe that the Rockets couldn’t get 3 first round picks plus swap right by trading Simmons and Thybulle to other teams.
RyderMike
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,901

Post#748 » by RyderMike » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:19 pm

Can't believe Nets got a second round pick. I know it's only a second, but in what position were the nets in to actually demand an asset
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,807

Post#749 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:32 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Bucks are absolutely awful in the playoffs and constantly get bounced by lower seeded teams.

Nets would win in 5 games easily.

The Bucks have been getting bounced by terrific defensive squads/schemes. The Nets have neither right now.

I mean the Bucks have never had to face a super team though.

I'm not convinced Giannis can raise his game in the playoffs when it matters. Hes shown no ability to do so.

He's shown that he can get absolutely shut down by the other team's defensive personnel and schemes (eg. '19 Raptors, '20 Heat). The Nets don't have any of that though. As presently composed, I highly doubt he'll struggle like he did in those two series.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,219

Post#750 » by Zombiesonics » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:35 pm

kyrie harden and kd seems like a odd fit. when you compare the celtics big three, kg was basically a dpoy level player and allen + pierce guarded very well. obviously the nets offense could be GOAT status, but verse the very best its essential to be able to get stops. Having said that i've been impressed with how KD has been competing on defense as he has transitioned into a 4/5. Thatll be key with how they matchup vs LA or any premier team with a big. A healthy embiid should demolish them.
Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Post#751 » by Brooklyn91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

LUKE23
RealGM

Post#752 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:44 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:kyrie harden and kd seems like a odd fit. when you compare the celtics big three, kg was basically a dpoy level player and allen + pierce guarded very well. obviously the nets offense could be GOAT status, but verse the very best its essential to be able to get stops. Having said that i've been impressed with how KD has been competing on defense as he has transitioned into a 4/5. Thatll be key with how they matchup vs LA or any premier team with a big. A healthy embiid should demolish them.

Giannis as well. They have nobody to check him individually.

I have seen some talking 2016-17 Warriors with this Nets team. One major, major difference - that Warriors team was 2nd in the NBA on D. Their scorers were also far less selfish/team-oriented.

The Nets offensive potential is sky high, but I see them getting shredded on D and they have a relatively high likelihood of ball sharing/chemistry issues.
longtallbrad
Junior
And1: 260

Post#753 » by longtallbrad » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:47 pm

Brooklyn is going to miss Allen, who's been their best defender and rebounder by a ways.

I'm confident that Durant is prepared to adjust his offensive game. Not sure about Irving and especially Harden, though. Overall I think the Nets are making a sound bet but I don't see them as a shoo-in. We'll know a lot more after they play ten games together.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#754 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:52 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:kyrie harden and kd seems like a odd fit. when you compare the celtics big three, kg was basically a dpoy level player and allen + pierce guarded very well. obviously the nets offense could be GOAT status, but verse the very best its essential to be able to get stops. Having said that i've been impressed with how KD has been competing on defense as he has transitioned into a 4/5. Thatll be key with how they matchup vs LA or any premier team with a big. A healthy embiid should demolish them.

Giannis as well. They have nobody to check him individually.

I have seen some talking 2016-17 Warriors with this Nets team. One major, major difference - that Warriors team was 2nd in the NBA on D. Their scorers were also far less selfish/team-oriented.

The Nets offensive potential is sky high, but I see them getting shredded on D and they have a relatively high likelihood of ball sharing/chemistry issues.

I mean nobody is a stretch.

Kevin Durant can still be elite individual defender and he now has more offensive talent than ever before to take the burden off of him.

Jordan can also hold down the paint when motivated.

The Bucks problem is still that they have no creator in the last 5 minutes when they need offense. Giannis has never been that guy nor has Holiday.

Assuming Giannis doesn't have his yearly meltdown in the post season, even at his best he can't score effectively in the last few minutes of a close game.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#755 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:56 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Kevin Durant can still be elite individual defender and he now has more offensive talent than ever before to take the burden off of him.

The Bucks problem is still that they have no creator in the last 5 minutes when they need offense. Giannis has never been that guy nor has Holiday.

Assuming Giannis doesn't have his yearly meltdown in the post season, even at his best he can't score effectively in the last few minutes of a close game.

If they put Durant on him Giannis just goes inside. Jordan can't help off Lopez either. Bucks matchup very well with this Brooklyn team.

In terms of the Bucks offense, Holiday is no Steve Nash with the ball but he's far better than Bledsoe was at creating, staying under control, not turning the ball over, and probing the defense for shots. So far this year he has picked his spots but has absolutely bullied people off the dribble when Bucks need a score. DiVencenzo is far more versatile offensively than Wes was, he can drive, pass, and shoot. This Bucks team is far better in the starting five. They are a better shooting team overall as well by a healthy margin.

It will be fun if they matchup with Brooklyn. I just don't think the Nets are a shoo-in like that Warriors team was. Far different from a chemistry and defensive perspective. Those two things matter.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#756 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:01 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

If they put Durant on him Giannis just goes inside. Jordan can't help off Lopez either. Bucks matchup very well with this Brooklyn team.

In terms of the Bucks offense, Holiday is no Steve Nash with the ball but he's far better than Bledsoe was at creating, staying under control, not turning the ball over, and probing the defense for shots. So far this year he has picked his spots but has absolutely bullied people off the dribble when Bucks need a score. DiVencenzo is far more versatile offensively than Wes was, he can drive, pass, and shoot. This Bucks team is far better in the starting five. They are a better shooting team overall as well by a healthy margin.

It will be fun if they matchup with Brooklyn. I just don't think the Nets are a shoo-in like that Warriors team was. Far different from a chemistry and defensive perspective. Those two things matter.

I mean I don't know what you mean by "just goes inside."

Both the Heat and Raptors easily developed a defensive scheme to contain him and he literally had no counter. I don't see how the Nets don't study the scheme and use it.

They even used the same tactics in the FIBA world cup when he was playing for Greece.

Giannis's offensive game has been figured out and he has at not point developed out a counter punch. Until he does it I don't trust him as a reliable playoff guy.

Certainly not to the degree of Durant, Harden or even Kyrie.

Holiday is certainly an upgrade over Bledsoe who become borderline unpalyable.

However, I still see no solution of who is their go to scorer at the end of games. Giannis has never proven he can do it in the regular or post season.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#757 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
I mean I don't know what you mean by "just goes inside."

Both the Heat and Raptors easily developed a defensive scheme to contain him and he literally had no counter. I don't see how the Nets don't study the scheme and use it.

They even used the same tactics in the FIBA world cup when he was playing for Greece.

Giannis's offensive game has been figured out and he has at not point developed out a counter punch. Until he does it I don't trust him as a reliable playoff guy.

Certainly not to the degree of Durant, Harden or even Kyrie.

Holiday is certainly an upgrade over Bledsoe who become borderline unpalyable.

However, I still see no solution of who is their go to scorer at the end of games. Giannis has never proven he can do it in the regular or post season.

You have to have the personnel to do it. Miami last year had Bam, Butler, Crowder, etc. This Nets team has three extremely soft ass defenders at the guards/wings in Irving/Harden/Harris. Green at this point can't defend either. 2018-19 Toronto was loaded with good defenders.

Additionally, this year the Bucks have more shooters should teams try and employ that strategy. It's early, but Bucks are currently 1st in 3 pointers made and second in 3 point percentage. They were 4th in makes and 17th in percentage last season.

The Nets Big 3 is more talented offensively, the Bucks Big 3 is more complete and fits together better. We shall see. It will be a fun series if it happens.

Also - don't sleep on Middleton. He's improved again.
Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect

Post#758 » by Brooklyn91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:50 pm

Sean marks recently spoke and

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

We not finished yet
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 737

Post#759 » by kan_t » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Brooklyn91 wrote:Sean marks recently spoke and

Read on Twitter

We not finished yet

Hard to argue with him given his track record and previous experience. :lol:
Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect

Post#760 » by Brooklyn91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm

kan_t wrote:
Brooklyn91 wrote:Sean marks recently spoke and

Read on Twitter

We not finished yet

Hard to argue with him given his track record and previous experience. :lol:

This is what people forget. Marks took on contracts from other teams, Got us DLO, through trades, Marks knows how to rebuild even with less

Return to The General Board