Ball Family & Big Baller Brand Megathread

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Re: Lonzo Ball father will be a problem 

Post#81 » by bigbreakfast » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:43 am

If the reports some NBA scouts/GMs are already concerned with Lavar Ball being a distraction, then I'd say it already IS a problem.
Warriors07
Rookie
And1: 750

Post#82 » by Warriors07 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:52 am

Can't wait to see this kid burst after drafted by LA and watch daddy's live interview. Best wishes to him for his career overseas tho
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#83 » by Robo_Claw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 am

Spalato wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
Spalato wrote:He is a massive problem, just like overbearing dads are in tennis and soccer. It is the norm and not the exception, that promising sports stars with overbearing dads never ever even come close to fulfilling their potential.

Maybe so but the Williams sisters and Tiger seem to have done okay.

As I said, there are exceptions. For every Serena Williams, there are 5 to 10 equally talented tennis players who have crashed and burned because of their dads.

More like 5-10 thousand per every Serena.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,637

Post#84 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 am

Spalato wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
Spalato wrote:He is a massive problem, just like overbearing dads are in tennis and soccer. It is the norm and not the exception, that promising sports stars with overbearing dads never ever even come close to fulfilling their potential.

As I said, there are exceptions. For every Serena Williams, there are 5 to 10 equally talented tennis players who have crashed and burned because of their dads.

Name some people. I would argue its opposite. People don't crash and burn b/c of parents . They crash and burn for lack of talent. Talent always performs.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#85 » by Clemenza » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:40 am

Black Jack wrote:

Neither of their fathers were even close to Lavar Ball's antics of being all in front of the cameras runnin' his mouth. Its night and day. I really don't know why they are brought up in comparison to Lavar Ball, who's on an entirely different planet
Black Jack
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,838

Post#86 » by Black Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:32 am

Clemenza wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

Neither of their fathers were even close to Lavar Ball's antics of being all in front of the cameras runnin' his mouth. Its night and day. I really don't know why they are brought up in comparison to Lavar Ball, who's on an entirely different planet

Maybe so but I remember Richard Williams being treated like darth vader by the tennis press.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#87 » by papidulo » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:51 am

I feel like ESPN just looks for a "player profile" to follow through the tournament.

I remember a year or 2 ago, they were hyping up RJ Hunter in the tourney when his dad was coaching with a cast on

I think once Lonzo gets drafted, the dad will fade back into the background.
Black Jack
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by Black Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 am

College hoops is a cesspool of corruption and outright criminality. If you ask me every parent of a D1 player should be hands on.

Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 17,063

Post#89 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:05 am

Black Jack wrote:College hoops is a cesspool of corruption and outright criminality. If you ask me every parent of a D1 player should be hands on.

I cant agree with your statment. You shouldnt make money for free ride to college. The one and done rule is wrong , but what about the walk ons who will never make NBA team?. Should they suffer as well? They need fix the system. Its fixable. You can be great college player and do somthing else. Your taking away freedom of choice from those walk ons , when all about $$$.
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,378

Post#90 » by SashaTheMachine » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 am

I mean, at the end of the day, it's his son, so I can understand his viewpoint. Man, I thought my dad was strict, but I can only imagine the trainings he's had for his kids. Regardless, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more of him come draft.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#91 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 am

Tobi wrote:I mean, at the end of the day, it's his son, so I can understand his viewpoint. Man, I thought my dad was strict, but I can only imagine the trainings he's had for his kids. Regardless, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more of him come draft.

I cant understand controlling your child , so you can drive nicer car, etc . Profiting off your child is somthimg I dont understand.
Black Jack
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by Black Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Black Jack wrote:College hoops is a cesspool of corruption and outright criminality. If you ask me every parent of a D1 player should be hands on.

I cant agree with your statment. You shouldnt make money for free ride to college. The one and done rule is wrong , but what about the walk ons who will never make NBA team?. Should they suffer as well? They need fix the system. Its fixable.

It's fixable by not forcing labor to work for free so management can take all the profits.

SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,378

Post#93 » by SashaTheMachine » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Tobi wrote:I mean, at the end of the day, it's his son, so I can understand his viewpoint. Man, I thought my dad was strict, but I can only imagine the trainings he's had for his kids. Regardless, I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more of him come draft.

I cant understand controlling your child , so you can drive nicer car, etc . Profiting off your child is somthimg I dont understand.

'
nvm i just got caught up with his quotes in this thread. why leave chino hills? it's already pretty nice
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,348

Post#94 » by jwise44 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 am

Man after that espn vid someone posted I somewhat changed my tune (I STILL THINK HE NEEDS TO SHUT UP), but he doesn't seem like the overbearing father that makes his kids hate him and the sport

If anything it seems like they love it and love him, I've seen parents way too hard on their kids (I remember watching a friends younger bro in litte league that had a bad health condition that hit a grounder and got thrown out and a mom yelled to take him out cause he sucked)

So a father that empowers and works with his sons so long as they enjoy it isn't the worst

But again, he really needs to keep his mouth shut now, IMO
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,392

Post#95 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:20 am

jwise44 wrote:Man after that espn vid someone posted I somewhat changed my tune (I STILL THINK HE NEEDS TO SHUT UP), but he doesn't seem like the overbearing father that makes his kids hate him and the sport

If anything it seems like they love it and love him, I've seen parents way too hard on their kids (I remember watching a friends younger bro in litte league that had a bad health condition that hit a grounder and got thrown out and a mom yelled to take him out cause he sucked)

So a father that empowers and works with his sons so long as they enjoy it isn't the worst

But again, he really needs to keep his mouth shut now, IMO

Im with you on this. Ive been saying for a long time that he was going to be an issue. But he comes off as a dad that puts a lot of pressure on his kids but they seem to strive on it. Some people can really strive and prefer to have that type of environment. I still think he goes overboard with things like he will only play for the Lakers. Those comments are juts dumb and doesnt help at all and makes it seem like he will be an issue if everything doesnt go his way. Im all for him putting the pressure on his kids if they can handle it but if Lonzo struggles and gets benched as a rookie I dont want to hear Lavar come out and start questioning the coach. That is something im still worried about.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 am

Black Jack wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

I cant agree with your statment. You shouldnt make money for free ride to college. The one and done rule is wrong , but what about the walk ons who will never make NBA team?. Should they suffer as well? They need fix the system. Its fixable.

It's fixable by not forcing labor to work for free so management can take all the profits.

Haha I didnt know anyone was forced to play college ball. Last I knew the players openly chose to play in college knowing they werent going to get paid.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#97 » by Ballerhogger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:23 am

Black Jack wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:

Its a payday when you get free education and your friend is going debt for better future for his family.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#98 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:28 am

Ballerhogger wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:I cant agree with your statment. You shouldnt make money for free ride to college. The one and done rule is wrong , but what about the walk ons who will never make NBA team?. Should they suffer as well? They need fix the system. Its fixable.

Its a payday when you get free education and your friend is going debt for better future for his family.

Plus all the free publicity these players get. Compare the publicity these freshmen get compared to a guy like Terrance Ferguson. And ya free education is a big thing. Just look at Duke, it costs 70k a year to go to Duke. If the players dont think thats a good enough return they can go over seas or play for the D league.
Black Jack
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Black Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Black Jack wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:I cant agree with your statment. You shouldnt make money for free ride to college. The one and done rule is wrong , but what about the walk ons who will never make NBA team?. Should they suffer as well? They need fix the system. Its fixable.

Haha I didnt know anyone was forced to play college ball. Last I knew the players openly chose to play in college knowing they werent going to get paid.

Ever heard the term monopoly?

Black Jack
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by Black Jack » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:34 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

Plus all the free publicity these players get. Compare the publicity these freshmen get compared to a guy like Terrance Ferguson. And ya free education is a big thing. Just look at Duke, it costs 70k a year to go to Duke. If the players dont think thats a good enough return they can go over seas or play for the D league.

You're describing a monopoly. Let's say players are getting 70k in value. You really think that the multi-billion dollar BUSINESS called NCAA college basketball is paying the full market value of that labor? You and everyone else on this board knows they are not.

It's a price-fixing monopoly no matter how you want to spin it. The players who aren't good enough to make the NBA in particular are being robbed - their presence provides a platform for the stars but they'll never make a dime.

Anyway the free education thing is a joke. Players are pushed to take super easy classes and if they don't do what the coach says they'll get dropped. Scholarships are renewed yearly and coaches have total power over every player except maybe the super elite headed to the lottery.

Return to The General Board