08 Celts players throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Re: Celts throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#81 » by ProfessorJM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 pm

JulesWinnfield wrote:
gst8 wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:This isn't Durant to Golden State, this is not even 15% of that.

Except that it's actually pretty close to that.

Uh not even close. What in the world are you possibly talking about

1) OKC still had more contention level years ahead of them than Boston who was basically done, thus robbing the franchise of more
2) Kevin Durant had way more game left in him than Allen, who Boston had benched
3) again the Celtics benched ray Allen late that season. OKC did not bench Durant
4) Durant was an OKC for life, Allen was always a hired gun

Those are only a few of the billion reasons why this comparison is dumb

The emotional connection that players would feel (leaving for a rival, etc) would be similar which is why they are very analogous and why I feel Durant's leaving is much closer to Ray Allen leaving Boston than LeBron's decision, although I completely agree that in terms of basketball talent/situation, it is quite different.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Re: 08 Celts players throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#82 » by lilswift01 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I can't see KG being that petty, he seems like a real dude.
ProfessorJM
Starter

Post#83 » by ProfessorJM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:16 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
JulesWinnfield wrote:
andrewww wrote:This forum is hilarious.

Aside from the fact that Allen was on his last legs, there is the other layer of perceived disrespect that Durant could never in a million years identify with when making his decision

You are trying soooooooooo hard to prove it is different, but it really isn't.

Level of player and all that stuff is meaningless. Players are human. Players aren't thinking 'well he is a bench player and not a superstar so it doesn't matter.' Humans are more complex than that. Ray betrayed his teammates for their biggest rival (Lebron vs Celtics was 10x the rivalry that GSW and OKC ever were at the time). It's the same exact thing and if anything what Ray did was a bit more severe considering the level of rivalry. It doesn't matter if you perceived the players as old or on their last legs. The Celtics were 10 minutes away from the Finals after blowing a 3-2 series lead, and Ray left a month later to the team that beat them. You can jump through all the hoops in the world to try to differentiate it, but it's really not all that different.

I think the feeling of emotional betrayal is correctly capturing the analogous nature of the two situations even though they are very different in terms of the level of player, etc. I think this is also why you can expect Durant to never quite make it right with Westbrook and OKC, but he still should have made the best decision for himself. You may even see OKC never retire his number because the fans won't have it because of this same emotion.
ProfessorJM
Starter

Re: 08 Celts players throwing a celebration for 08 title... Ray Allen not invited 

Post#84 » by ProfessorJM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

I don't imagine Rondo pushed very hard about Allen either, likely KG wouldn't let it go either.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,185

Post#85 » by DarkAzcura » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:55 pm

ProfessorJM wrote:I don't imagine Rondo pushed very hard about Allen either, likely KG wouldn't let it go either.

No yeah, this is definitely KG and then some Rondo. Pierce has largely gotten over it and has spoken about wanting KG, Ray, and himself on Area 21 one day for a show...that's completely dependent on KG.
KG_Wolves
Starter
And1: 530

Post#86 » by KG_Wolves » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I am thinking this is mostly KG pushin it, and I approve.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#87 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:04 pm

If you are celebrating the 08 title and you dont invite ray Allen well its not really a celebration of the title...its more like a get together
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,877

Post#88 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:08 pm

lilswift01 wrote:I can't see KG being that petty, he seems like a real dude.

KG has a real grudge
gino_giode
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#89 » by gino_giode » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:46 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Ok what did Ray Allen do deserve that? Was coming to miami that big of deal??

It was a big deal because of the players involved. Those Celts had a throwback mentality that was reinforced through Doc and the Big 3 (all 90s era players). Ray Allen complained about pay and playing time with the Celts during negotiations--they upped their offer. Then he jumped ship to the Heat for lesser pay and playtime. It was a huge slap in the face to the Celts.

Ray Allen simply adopted the new era philosophy of the ends justifies the means, so a ring in the end is worth it no matter how bad you end up looking. And as an outside observer I agree because people will remember Ray for that desperation 3 against the Spurs more than him leaving the Celts.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#90 » by Soulcatcher33 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:39 pm

gino_giode wrote:
It was a big deal because of the players involved. Those Celts had a throwback mentality that was reinforced through Doc and the Big 3 (all 90s era players). Ray Allen complained about pay and playing time with the Celts during negotiations--they upped their offer. Then he jumped ship to the Heat for lesser pay and playtime. It was a huge slap in the face to the Celts.

A huge slap in the face to the celts? They tried to trade Ray about 3 times while he was there...he didn't owe them a damn thing.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,326

Post#91 » by JordansBulls » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 pm

They only doing this because Ray got another ring whereas the rest of the C's only got that ring in 2008.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Cyrusman122000
Analyst
And1: 2,919

Post#92 » by Cyrusman122000 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:14 pm

For everyone saying the Celtics low balled him, and benched him for Bradley. How do you not understand that Miami's offer was even LOWER than what Boston was offering, and he was always a bench player in Miami. So the whole "losing your starting job" argument is irrelevant, because he was always going to be a bench player in Miami. He was declining so the celtics felt Bradley would be a better option within the starting lineup, but still valued Allen's services, and wanted to keep him. They gave him a bigger contract, and a no trade clause. He basically said FU to them, and took a much lower offer to go to Miami, to play golf, and ride of Lebron's coattails.
Memphis tried to sign him too that summer if i remember. Has he gone there non of this probably would matter, but yes leaving your team to go join the BIGGEST rival for much less money will piss some people off, and I don't blame those who are pissed
I can perfectly understand why the Celtics were pissed
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,073

Post#93 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:16 pm

lilswift01 wrote:I can't see KG being that petty, he seems like a real dude.

In all honesty he was probably the ringleader
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,234

Post#94 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:For everyone saying the Celtics low balled him, and benched him for Bradley. How do you not understand that Miami's offer was even LOWER than what Boston was offering, and he was always a bench player in Miami. So the whole "losing your starting job" argument is irrelevant, because he was always going to be a bench player in Miami. He was declining so the celtics felt Bradley would be a better option within the starting lineup, but still valued Allen's services, and wanted to keep him. They gave him a bigger contract, and a no trade clause. He basically said FU to them, and took a much lower offer to go to Miami, to play golf, and ride of Lebron's coattails.
Memphis tried to sign him too that summer if i remember. Has he gone there non of this probably would matter, but yes leaving your team to go join the BIGGEST rival for much less money will piss some people off, and I don't blame those who are pissed

I would leave at the first opportunity if my current employer tried to transfer me to SLC or Memphis for several seasons, low balled me in contract negotiations and was going downhill financially. If you treat people like a commodity you can't be mad at them for trying to stick it to you.

I was rooting hard for SAS in 2013 but I gained a lot of respect for Allen sticking it to Boston in the manner he did. As another poster said they can't really celebrate the title without him because there wouldn't be a title or two final appearances without him.
Texas Chuck wrote:we watch super slow motion replay from 4 different angles and get angry if a ref missed something at full speed in real time . . . Newsflash to fans--it doesn't slow down matrix style for the refs as the game is going on
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#95 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:
Cyrusman122000 wrote:For everyone saying the Celtics low balled him, and benched him for Bradley. How do you not understand that Miami's offer was even LOWER than what Boston was offering, and he was always a bench player in Miami. So the whole "losing your starting job" argument is irrelevant, because he was always going to be a bench player in Miami. He was declining so the celtics felt Bradley would be a better option within the starting lineup, but still valued Allen's services, and wanted to keep him. They gave him a bigger contract, and a no trade clause. He basically said FU to them, and took a much lower offer to go to Miami, to play golf, and ride of Lebron's coattails.

I would leave at the first opportunity if my current employer tried to transfer me to SLC or Memphis for several seasons, low balled me in contract negotiations and was going downhill financially. If you treat people like a commodity you can't be mad at them for trying to stick it to you.

I was rooting hard for SAS in 2013 but I gained a lot of respect for Allen sticking it to Boston in the manner he did. As another poster said they can't really celebrate the title without him because there wouldn't be a title or two final appearances without him.

On top of all that, they seemed to always side with a trash player with a trash attitude (Rondo) in every situation. Ray really wasn't in the wrong here.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,555

Post#96 » by nbafan38 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Its not the Durant situation at all because the Celtics sort of drove Allen out where as Thunder always treated Durant well.However I still have no issue with Celtic players feeling betrayed and not wanting to include Allen, that's up to them.
Louie_Ruckuz
Bench Warmer
And1: 873

Post#97 » by Louie_Ruckuz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:22 pm

I never liked Ray Allen and Rondo even said that the others didn't want Allen there so stop blaming Rondo.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#98 » by vaff87 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:34 pm

I don't like Ray Allen or any of his former Celtics teammates. F them all.
so_bored
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,053

Post#99 » by so_bored » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:07 pm

I could see beef from both sides. These players are humans after all. Can't really blame anybody here.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,943

Post#100 » by chrismikayla » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

I can actually understand this as it's a private get together among the fellas and it would be awkward after everything that went down.
[gfycat][/gfycat]

Return to The General Board