Jaylen Brown turned down $80M

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Jaylen Brown turned down $80M 

Post#81 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:24 am

Yogatti wrote:This is the guy Danny Ainge didn't want to give up when Paul George, Anthony Davis, Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard were demanding trades.

Offered brown for Paul George and Anthony Davis but nice try...no thanks to jimmy butler. Browns smart to turn down that offer- be dumb for him to accept it
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,489

Post#82 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:26 am

im still mad levert accepted that trash offer by the nets, dude is going to be a near max players after this year i wanted the raptors to offer him a deal.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#83 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:28 am

itsme23 wrote:Ainge doing what Ainge always does. Thinking he’s smarter than everyone else.

I’m sure we will get a Celts fan coming in and telling us all how stupid we are and what a genius Ainge is.

Actually you’re right...he is doing what he always does. No celtics has gotten a rookie contract extension before RFA under ainge ever except rondo. So yes he does always do this. So he’s consistent. Let the market dictate what his value is instead of overpaying.

Is that thinking he’s smarter than someone else? Nope.
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#84 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Brown has Ainge on a leash. He knows that Ainge knows that he messed up multiple times by not trading him for significantly better players so now Ainge is likely to pay him to try and save face.

I mean if that was the case, why didnt Ainge just offer him the big contract now and save face right now?

Shhhhh don’t make sense. You know this place is better when the idiots chirp
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,585

Post#85 » by Black Mage » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 am

Celts17Pride wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:Brown has Ainge on a leash. He knows that Ainge knows that he messed up multiple times by not trading him for significantly better players so now Ainge is likely to pay him to try and save face.

Cool story 8-)

Certainly a better story than the one you tell yourself about how Ainge "always" knew what would happen. I always find that fictional argument comical b/c if Ainge was that clairvoyant you'd think he'd be a better drafter given he knows how things will go in the future.
alebaba
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#86 » by alebaba » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:47 am

Celtic fans love overhyping Jaylen Brow, he's nothing special..I hope you guys sign him to the max. lol
Trippinskarlo
Rookie
And1: 1,326

Post#87 » by Trippinskarlo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 am

Yogatti wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:3 of those 4 have been played for multiple teams in three years.

Ainge didn’t trade for them because he knew they wouldn’t stay. Smart decisions

All those draft picks and assets and all you ended up with is Kemba Walker. But keep convincing yourself it's a "smart decision"

Both of your comments in this thread have been objectively wrong.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,346

Post#88 » by sfernald » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:34 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sfernald wrote:This guy really needs to fire his agent. Oh wait, he is his own agent. Maybe he should be spending more time practicing b-ball and less time agenting then cause he ain’t all that, that’s fosho.

Imagine making this post and not realizing Brown hired an agent a week ago and is obviously being instructed by that same agent to turn down the deal :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/10/10/jaylen-brown-agent-contract-negotiations

His new agent is the guy that got Al Horford 4 years $109 million.

Oh I missed that. Oh well. He got smart.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 42,108

Post#89 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:38 am

sfernald wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sfernald wrote:This guy really needs to fire his agent. Oh wait, he is his own agent. Maybe he should be spending more time practicing b-ball and less time agenting then cause he ain’t all that, that’s fosho.

Imagine making this post and not realizing Brown hired an agent a week ago and is obviously being instructed by that same agent to turn down the deal :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2019/10/10/jaylen-brown-agent-contract-negotiations

He's always been smart, as a top 3 pick with a fixed base contract there was no point in having an agent. Now that there's some actual negotiation to be done he's hired someone to do it for him.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,673

Post#90 » by azcatz11 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 am

tdotrep2 wrote:im still mad levert accepted that trash offer by the nets, dude is going to be a near max players after this year i wanted the raptors to offer him a deal.

QFT - I'll bookmark this and bump you when he makes the ASG this year.

Lucky for him he'll only be 28 when he's an UFA and can sign a max deal
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,628

Post#91 » by baldur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:49 am

celtics fans are always able to find some excuse to justify every single mistake that ainge has made.
KIRAG
Veteran
And1: 2,549

Post#92 » by KIRAG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 am

I'd rather have Jaylen Brown in the playoffs than Harrison Barnes, Buddy Heild or Tobias Harris. Jaylen since his rookie year has always performed well in the playoffs. Everybody hyped Tatum in his rookie year and deservingly so but people also forget Brown has been a huge factor in that unexpected young Celtics playoffs run all the way to the 7th game of the ECF w/o Kyrie and Hayward vs Lebron and the cavs. So he deserves that 4 yr 80 mil and more, considering the $$$ some of the players I mentioned above got.

[url][/url]
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,658

Post#93 » by grindtime22 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 am

bisme37 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
I became ineloquent as I made successive comments. It wasn't right for me to say he's had a better career so far. I was just pointing out he's appeared in multiple postseasons at age 22 and been good each time, because a lot of folks seem to have a very short memory. (He's like Nerlens Noel? Seriously?)

Pascal is the better player now but he's 3 years older and Jaylen has been more consistent in the postseason over his 3 year career. So while I wouldn't give Jaylen the max Pascal is getting, he's worth something more than 4/80.

Pascal is 2.5 years older but they each just finished their 3rd NBA season.

If you look at Brown's regular season numbers, he actually regressed a little from the year before. I know you can argue it was Kyrie, etc. but that doesn't comfort me if I am shelling out $80+ million.

Siakam on the other hand clearly went to another level with his game and his production.

I think these contracts are based on proven production + potential over the next 4-6 years or whatever the length of the contract is.

Jaylen Brown does not have proven production to warrant a big contract. 1 good post season does not count. They didn't even advance to the Finals.

He still seems more like "potential" than production. Whereas Siakam and Hield are already producing at a near All Star level.

I also think Hield and Siakam have higher ceilings. Hield will potentially be one of the best 3 point shooters in the league for the foreseeable future. Siakam with his size and versatility has potential to become a top 10 player in the league.

What's Brown going to do to become an All Star? Be a defensive stopper? Become an elite 3 point shooter? Seems more like he will be a solid starter but not an All Star level guy.

Pascal is getting a max based on scoring 19 ppg last playoffs at age 25. Jaylen averaged 18 ppg at age 20 when the C's went to the ECFs.

Again I'm not saying Jaylen should get a max but why is Pascal "production" in your mind while Jaylen is just "potential"? Pascal's resume is that he averaged one more point per game than Jaylen in their respective best postseason showings.

It's not just about a month in the postseason. It's about last season as a whole. Its about who they are as players. Jaylen has room to improve, sure. Maybe he will pass him at some point. It wasn't really close last year though.

Siakam averaged 17 a game on all nba level efficiency (62.8 TS). The trajectory is still up. He has better touch. He has become a decent shooter and has continued to improve ever year. He shot 37% from 3 last year, and 78% from the free throw line. They are probably comparable shooters from the outside right now. Jaylen is probably even better from 3, considering he has a much quicker release and can get off. BUT, Jaylen hasn't show improvement at the line. Siakam has a better feel for the game. He has better touch in the paint. He is more in control. He is a better playmaker. He is a better rebounder. He is a better overall defender.

It based on more than a postseason. The peak Siakam hit last year was far beyond any Jaylen season.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#94 » by TheRealKaboom » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:10 am

He's averaging 11/4/1 for his career with horrific defensive stats and a terrible FT% that's going nowhere.

How much more does he expect Ainge to offer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,059

Post#95 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 am

Oh man. If Brown walks and all the Celtics get from the most lopsided trade in NBA history is overrated ass Jayson Tatum I will die of laughter.

Celtics were literally set up better than anyone to dominate for the next 10 years. Nets have already lapped them.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,593

Post#96 » by DaPessimist » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:51 am

He's gonna get a lot more than that.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,866

Post#97 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Oh man. If Brown walks and all the Celtics get from the most lopsided trade in NBA history is overrated ass Jayson Tatum I will die of laughter.

Celtics were literally set up better than anyone to dominate for the next 10 years. Nets have already lapped them.

Ainge definitely mismanaged his assets without question.
Why so serious?
reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Post#98 » by reignfire » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:58 am

JB is gonna look to get his this season.

I feel like Celtics fans will really be annoyed by him this season.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,346

Post#99 » by sfernald » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:10 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
sfernald wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

He's always been smart, as a top 3 pick with a fixed base contract there was no point in having an agent. Now that there's some actual negotiation to be done he's hired someone to do it for him.

Most agents don’t take a cut of the rookie fixed base contract, lol. What he loses out on is endorsements and so forth.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,262

Post#100 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:26 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Oh man. If Brown walks and all the Celtics get from the most lopsided trade in NBA history is overrated ass Jayson Tatum I will die of laughter.

In theory, perhaps. Not yet on the court.
In theory, the Celts were setup to dominate for 10 years, according to you. Perhaps we should roll out the ball and see what happens?

Return to The General Board