Foul-baiting rule change is ON

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

levon
RealGM
And1: 23,483

Re: Foul-baiting rule change is ON 

Post#81 » by levon » Tue Oct 5, 2021 4:44 pm

mynameKIM wrote:

Dennis Schroder is happy.

While Curry isn't the only person to do this, his attempts are the most blatant and most dangerous because he often leads with the elbow.

this still makes me angry. that's great defense from Schroder
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#82 » by Nate505 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:23 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Thank you NBA. Good job refs.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If they stick with this, and call it on the Curry's and Harden's of the world, this will be the best NBA change in the past 20 years or so.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,699

Post#83 » by Kingdibs19 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:30 pm

10 years too late
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#84 » by Plutonashfan » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:34 pm

Excellent!!! (in Mortal Kombat voice)
The Champ is HERE!!!
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,457

Post#85 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:44 pm

Would be nice to see if it holds up
ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#86 » by ShootersShoot » Tue Oct 5, 2021 5:45 pm

Good!! Always hated the way that play was called and felt it was hurting the integrity of the game.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,352

Post#87 » by kodo » Tue Oct 5, 2021 6:17 pm

The example the NBA gave was even less egregious on the leaning in. This was a clear cut case.
Still hard to believe the NBA is actually doing the right thing here.

Read on Twitter
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,150

Post#88 » by jazzfan1971 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 6:33 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine the refs will keep this up for long.

I don't like the foul hunting and I would have sent Curry to the line there.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#89 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:37 pm

Tim Kempton wrote:I want to say "It's about time!" but the refs will likely revert to their old ways at some point. It's like when the NBA introduced fines for flopping. It lasted about four days and then after that, the fines became a rarity.

I think this is easier to spot than flopping though, and why it has a much better chance of sticking.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#90 » by Edrees » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:40 pm

I'll believe it when I see harden doing it and them not calling it
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#91 » by donnieme » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:48 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Tim Kempton wrote:I want to say "It's about time!" but the refs will likely revert to their old ways at some point. It's like when the NBA introduced fines for flopping. It lasted about four days and then after that, the fines became a rarity.

I think this is easier to spot than flopping though, and why it has a much better chance of sticking.

why I don't get the skepticism. This one isn't a grey area call like flopping. It either is or isn't, unless the Nba reverses the mandate it shouldn't be hard to spot. Also the flopping fines got rid of egregious flops, the problem was the flops that came after legit contact were hard to fine. There's a grey area that will always make flopping hard to eradicate.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,132

Post#92 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Oct 5, 2021 7:56 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine the refs will keep this up for long.

This is my fear too. Point of emphasis in the preseason or early in the season is one thing. Unsure the refs and the league will have the stomach for the fight all year.

Would love to see them get this out of the game where a player isn't trying to score but just leap unnaturally into a defensive player but this is an entertainment product built on superstar offensive players. League likely to cave if the players refuse to adjust.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Gramercy Riffs
Junior
And1: 727

Post#93 » by Gramercy Riffs » Tue Oct 5, 2021 8:08 pm

I don't mind that this wasn't called a foul but I hope the refs call it with some nuance.

If a pump fake gets the defender to jump toward the offensive player and the offensive player jumps into him and makes contact while the defender is still in the air it should be a defensive foul.

If a pump fake gets the defender to jump toward the offensive player and the offensive player jumps into him and makes contact after the defender has landed it should be a no call(which is what happens in this play).

If a pump fake gets the defender to jump straight up and the offensive player jumps into him it should be an offensive foul.

The distinction should be obvious. If the defender jumps forward he has no right to the space he jumps into but if he lands before the contact he has a right to that space. If the defender jumps straight up and contact is initiated by the offensive player jumping forward than the offensive player is violating the space the defender is entitled to.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#94 » by Ayt » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:05 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Gusto1903 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Uh..I’m pretty sure that one is still a foul because he’s moving forward in his jump shot and it’s not any weird change of direction. I mean… that was a pure pump fake which they said this didn’t apply to right?

Comeon dawg, he literally just jumps into the player. Who Jumps on a Jumpshot from that spot like Steph did in that situation :D

Well dawg… if he’s jumping forward that’s not an unnatural change of direction. And everyone jumps about 3 feet forward on a jumpshot!

It’s obvious the rule isn’t clear to us yet, but I thought that was one of the criteria.

So you think this is Steph's usual shooting form?

MoneyMo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,802

Post#95 » by MoneyMo » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:11 pm

Yuck... without that call Steph Curry is Rick Brunson.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#96 » by CptCrunch » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:14 pm

Edrees wrote:I'll believe it when I see harden doing it and them not calling it

Harden doesn't actually do this. He almost never jumps, at worst he leans into the shooter without jumping.

Steph and Trae are the biggest users of this move jumping straight into the shooter.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#97 » by meekrab » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:20 pm

Should be the same rule they use for offensive players, you gotta let them land. If you fake a guy into the air and then jump into him that's a foul on you.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,247

Post#98 » by monopoman » Tue Oct 5, 2021 9:33 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
There is a difference between faking someone who jumps over you and jumping forward searching for a contact to go to the FT line when you can't do anything else other than pass the ball to someone else (as it's done in all other leagues around the world instead of this foul-baiting BS). The former is a skill, the later is not. If this rule is applied we'll see much more passing than stars overdribbling trying to get to the FT line. Much better for the game.

Both are skills. Doing it so that you get the ref to buy it, it's a skill. I hate it, I think it's crap...but there's reasons why some people are good at it and others aren't. Because it's a skill.

As I said, there is a line between the skill and cheating parts. Otherwise other leagues would allow it as well and NBA would not be trying to prevent it right now.

I mean to be fair, cheating usually takes a level of skill. If I can shuffle the deck and then base deck an ace to anyone I want, that is a skill. Sure it's bull and relying on cheating to win is not in the spirit of the game but you are kidding yourself if you think high level cheating isn't skill intensive.
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,868

Post#99 » by Marrrcuss » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:12 pm

CptCrunch wrote:

Harden doesn't actually do this. He almost never jumps, at worst he leans into the shooter without jumping.

Steph and Trae are the biggest users of this move jumping straight into the shooter.

This group was having a ball blaming Harden then u come in here with THIS?? Lol

You're totally right, Hardens stuff is bad, but different from this. This is way more Curry and Trae
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#100 » by BoatsNZones » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:18 pm

Marrrcuss wrote:
CptCrunch wrote:

This group was having a ball blaming Harden then u come in here with THIS?? Lol

You're totally right, Hardens stuff is bad, but different from this. This is way more Curry and Trae

Lol huh? Curry shoots 4-6 FT's a game, and most are his drives or technical FT's. He probably got this call once or twice a week. With Harden it's a staple of his offensive repertoire (be it just leaning or otherwise, that won't fly anymore), and with Trae it's a whole 'nother level. This being a rule will not effect Curry in the least (and I am so glad they have it now).

Return to The General Board