Is Luka overrated?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, infinite11285, Dirk, Harry Garris, ken6199, zimpy27, bwgood77, bisme37, KingDavid, Domejandro

IG2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,070

Re: Is Luka overrated? 

Post#81 » by IG2 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:20 pm

Good lord, yes.

He's still a great player, but he has some very glaring holes in his game. He's horrible on defense, ball dominant to a fault and I don't think I've ever seen a player whose on-court demeanor is worse. Those are 3 things that will need to change if he's ever going to be a champion.
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#82 » by NBA4Lyfe » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:37 pm

Lenneth wrote:Well, a prime Harden and a former MVP dragged Houston to the 8th seed in the 15-16 season. So, Harden fans should understand what happens when any star is with a bad roster. And, I would rather have Luka than Harden in PO.

Harden won games in the regular season with a worse roster than this current mavs team. See the 2015 rockets that reached the western conference finals with the corpse of Jason terry and Pablo prigioni starting for the rockets
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,848

Post#83 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:43 pm

No, he's not overrated at all.

He was absolutely horrendous today at Charlotte in the first quarter. Was like 0-6 from the field and seemed to not give a damn.

He finished with 40/12/8, as well as 2 blocks and 2 steals.

Kyrie is playing hurt and that's not helping the team. But the real issue is that the roster has massive deficiencies. They won't be fixed until summer, at the earliest.

Luka is on track for his fourth 27/8/8 season (Oscar has the NBA record with 5), and he's also on track for a 32/8/8 season. That has only been done before, once, by Jordan.

He'll be fine. But after totally dominating earlier in the year, he's gotten out of shape and seems to be distracted with whatever private matters are going on that he mentioned postagame the other day.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
Jellybeans
Starter
And1: 2,507

Post#84 » by Jellybeans » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:49 pm

Better question is how do you gain weight like Luka has while season is going on. He clearly was slimer at the start of the year
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,390

Post#85 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:52 pm

IG2 wrote:Good lord, yes.

He's still a great player, but he has some very glaring holes in his game. He's horrible on defense, ball dominant to a fault and I don't think I've ever seen a player whose on-court demeanor is worse. Those are 3 things that will need to change if he's ever going to be a champion.

So funny how that exact paragraph could be written about Trae Young
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,880

Post#86 » by Hornet Mania » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:01 pm

After watching the last two Mavs losses the problem is team construction, not Luka. Kyrie has not been great either, but he's hurt so I get it.

The cupboard is just bare, way too top heavy. It didn't matter that Charlotte had to give JT Thor, Bryce McGowens, Theo Maledon, etc. big minutes because the Mavs bench was really no better. Mark Williams and Nick Richards dominated the paint, they're a solid young duo, but it's usually not that easy.

Add even 3-4 decent role players to that team and it's a whole different story.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,848

Post#87 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:05 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:After watching the last two Mavs losses the problem is team construction, not Luka. Kyrie has not been great either, but he's hurt so I get it.

The cupboard is just bare, way too top heavy. It didn't matter that Charlotte had to give JT Thor, Bryce McGowens, Theo Maledon, etc. big minutes because the Mavs bench was really no better. Mark Williams and Nick Richards dominated the paint, they're a solid young duo, but it's usually not that easy.

Yep.

Getting Kyrie, if they keep him (apparently he could consider Phoenix this summer), is a good long-term move. But it's hurt the team in the short-run as they've lost depth, size and defense.

Their defense and rebounding is awful. Some of the young guys have talent (like Hardy), but need more seasoning.

I'm good with them missing the playoffs if that means they keep their pick. They're going nowhere this season, anyways.

For Luka, get your head right with the off-court stuff. The Luka of earlier in the season was completely dominant. If that guy comes back, you keep Kyrie, and you get some other solid role players then things will change fast.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
GeorgeSears
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,931

Post#88 » by GeorgeSears » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:12 pm

The frustrating thing about Luka is that he can address all of his short comings if he wants to. He chooses not.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,695

Post#89 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:20 pm

You know let’s say Magic or Kobe played without an all nba center to start their career. How about the times people were critical of Lebron for not winning for several years. I mean every star played at one point or another has been considered overrated.

I would love Luka as my franchise player, just like if you had Magic, Kobe, Lebron and countless other transcendent players.

If you have an argument that Luka isn’t a transcendent player, ok fair enough but he has played like a transcendent player in the playoff way too many times for a player of his age to say otherwise in my opinion.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,134

Post#90 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:21 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:After watching the last two Mavs losses the problem is team construction, not Luka. Kyrie has not been great either, but he's hurt so I get it.

That argument only takes you so far IMO because we heard the same thing when Porzingis and Brunson were on the team. But at some level you're right- it's a poorly designed roster. They took a step in the wrong direction when parting with depth and defense for the sake of Kyrie. Luka is probably the most capable one-man offense in the league, so surround him with shooters/defenders/savvy role players and the returns will be greater than what they are now. If they're dead set on pairing him with a "second star" then they should invest in one who excels off ball and/or as a defender. Sadly their resources have been depleted even further so I don't know how realistic that goal is without an uncharacteristically successful FA.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 17,064

Post#91 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:41 pm

Putting 2 ball dominat players who don’t really play good defense and no rim protection …… = losses
Synciere
General Manager
And1: 4,923

Post#92 » by Synciere » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 pm

Luka is probably properly rated. The beginning of his career marks him as on track to be one of the greatest ever. Current trajectory has him as a top 10 player all time. But……..

At some point yeah, he has to win something so questions like this will persist until he does. Happened to Jordan, Lebron, Dirk, and many others. His defensive woes make it easier to ask these questions, just like Jokic.

Too often in these threads people talk about what a player can’t do instead of what they can do well. I call it the Melo Theory.
Goomba3666
Veteran
And1: 3,315

Post#93 » by Goomba3666 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:43 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:Putting 2 ball dominat players who don’t really play good defense and no rim protection …… = losses

I actually see Kyrie playing defense and rotating. And I don't think he's as ball dominant as Luka/Harden.

Luka only knows to play one way and I don't think he's in shape enough to play off ball.
indiegrind
Rookie
And1: 249

Post#94 » by indiegrind » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:44 pm

I think he has been when people crown him as a potential goat.

He does however has potential to be a top 10 all timer.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 17,064

Post#95 » by Ballerhogger » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
JWillTheFreak
Pro Prospect
And1: 211

Post#96 » by JWillTheFreak » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:53 pm

Goomba3666 wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:Putting 2 ball dominat players who don’t really play good defense and no rim protection …… = losses

I actually see Kyrie playing defense and rotating. And I don't think he's as ball dominant as Luka/Harden.

Luka only knows to play one way and I don't think he's in shape enough to play off ball.

Playing of the ball should be his rest like all other superstars do... what does bron do off the ball???

Since Kyrie joined the mavs he got lit up by Fox 2x, Halliburton, CJ, Maxey... Kyrie is only a offensive player like luka and mavs don't have a big to protect the paint.
///////////////////////////////////////BAKAJ///////////////////////////////////////////////
Mephariel
Sixth Man
And1: 1,809

Post#97 » by Mephariel » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:02 pm

JWillTheFreak wrote:
Goomba3666 wrote:

Playing of the ball should be his rest like all other superstars do... what does bron do off the ball???

Since Kyrie joined the mavs he got lit up by Fox 2x, Halliburton, CJ, Maxey... Kyrie is only a offensive player like luka and mavs don't have a big to protect the paint.

What does Bron do off ball? He cuts? He seals his defender for layups? You can see both in this one video back to back:

Watch this game to see how many times he cuts to the basket:

Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,459

Post#98 » by Impuniti » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:No. He’s an amazing, clutch talent with ball hogging and conditioning problems. If he fixes those two the sky is the limit

Yes good luck to Luka turning away from being the biggest ball in NBA history (not a hyperbole). Don't hold your breath. :lol:
greekbuck34
RealGM
And1: 11,639

Post#99 » by greekbuck34 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm

He has to pick up the pace of his game by a lot. He takes too much time while his teammates get cold watching him dribble the ball.
He has to improve his leadership and mentality a lot. The constant complaining must be annoying to his teammates too by now.
He has to move off the ball. He is almost worthless without the ball.
He has to improve on defense.
He has to stop shooting long step back 3s when he has a cold night or his team needs an important bucket.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: I think that we will do worse than last season and that Giannis is now just a mere all star. All because we switched from Bud to Griffin.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 22,548

Post#100 » by Pointgod » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:16 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

The Kyrie effect.

Return to The General Board