NBA Finals: Boston vs. LA Lakers - Series BOS leads (2-0)

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who will Win Game 3?

Boston
48%
LA Lakers
52%

Total votes: 79

pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,528

Post#81 » by pillwenney » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:39 am

As somebody that despises the Lakers I agree that they largely got screwed tonight. Unfortunately their fanbase has already burned the bridge of ever thinking about saying that they lost a game because of the refs.

What I'm getting at is, if any Lakers fan wants to say that they lost a playoff game because of the refs, then they owe Chris and Vlade a ring.

But back to the series itself, I would agree about the Kobe thing, but honestly, I think that most real fans recognize that Kobe is no Jordan--the hype behind that has just come from crappy ESPN and they words they jam into Mark Jackson's mouth.

Still though, I think this series is very far from over. I do think though that switching the places of Radmonavic and Walton in the rotation would help the Lakers. Luke is too small to guard Powe when the benches are on the floor and Radmonavic is way too slow to guard Pierce. Luke on Pierce and Radman on Powe wouldn't be perfect, but I think it would be better. Outside of that, it is partially about getting calls, but not entirely. The Celtics made a lot of tough shots tonight, but the Lakers also played some terrible D at times. If the Lakers improve on their defensive effort, and the Celtics miss more shots that they would otherwise make at home, I'd say the Lakers have an excellent shot at taking 2 of the next 3 and a pretty good shot at taking all 3.
Aventador
Head Coach
And1: 3,468

Post#82 » by Aventador » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:43 am

it depends if we get the refs of the first half or the second half for the rest of this series, to even talk about Lakers winning anything in their next 3. Admittedly, the flow and calls of the 2nd half was pretty solid but the first half was absoultely abysmal. I'm all for a fun to watch series, but the men in black and white need to screw off for a bit and just let them play.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant
And1: 11

Post#83 » by eatyourchildren » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:47 am

I'd rather them call 5 fouls for each side than call 50 fouls for each side.
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#84 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:49 am

eatyourchildren wrote:I'd rather them call 5 fouls for each side than call 50 fouls for each side.

what if they were 50 legit fouls?..
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by eatyourchildren » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:54 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

what if they were 50 legit fouls?..

Don't care, just don't want this to be a free throw shooting contest. It's already bad enough when one team can't establish a rhythm, why burden the other too?
ugkfan2681" wrote: wrote: i dont take **** lightly im from the land of the trill home of the rockets RESPECT OK.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#86 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 7:58 am

I agree..but if they start missing calls everywhere, there's going to be complaints about that too..like tonight for instance..

I'd rather the refs ruin the rhythm of both teams, instead of just one..obviously..
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by eatyourchildren » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:03 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I agree..but if they start missing calls everywhere, there's going to be complaints about that too..like tonight for instance..

I'd rather the refs ruin the rhythm of both teams, instead of just one..obviously..

The reality of the NBA is this: There are probably 5 fouls occurring on every play by both teams. Where referees exert their power is when they decide to call a foul on one team one on play but hold their breath on another play.

Now, outside of very blatant fouls, there's probably an equal number of actual fouling going on by both teams in every NBA game. Given that, why not just let what's already happening, happen?

A whistling ref is a visible ref, and that's probably the worst thing about NBA games.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#88 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:12 am

for me..the only problem I have with NBA refs is the inconsistency..as difficult as it seems, I would just like to see the games called with the same rules on both sides, and the same rules in every game..I don't think it should matter whether or not a certain ref is reffing the game, I think it should be the same for every game, regardless of who is reffing..if you're gonna call bump fouls, you call them every game, on both sides of the floor..if you're gonna call illegal picks, you call them every game, on both sides of the floor..

gives the players a better understanding of how they should come out and play every game, instead of taking some time to get a feel on how the refs are going to call the game on that night..
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by eatyourchildren » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:17 am

And the other thought I have is, giving team A every call in the 1st half and then "making up" those calls for team B in the 2nd half is the dumbest thing ever.

Anyone even insinuating that it all evens out in the end can just shoot themselves.

Kobe needs to force the issue into the lane more. Instead of dragging the double away from the basket, he needs to just dribble into KG's hip if need be and create contact the old fashioned way. 11 for 23 is great, but I want him testing the meat of the defense, not its fringers.

Kobe needs to stop defending Ray Allen through 19 screens and just play Pierce 1on1. I'd rather Kobe pick up fouls on Pierce iso's than have him get these ticky tack fouls establishing position or running through screens.

Vladimir should not get more than 10 minutes. He's such a detriment to the team. His rotations and man defense have been so terrible to watch. He's letting the bigs have to cover too much ground and get fouls at the rim.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User

Post#90 » by HarlemHeat37 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:20 am

I don't like how this entire playoffs has been obvious home advantage too..every series has been the same..hopefully that changes next year..

if Radmanovic is sitting, doesn't that mean Walton comes on? not much of a difference..2 of the most entertaining players in the NBA for non-Laker fans, I love watching them play..

Ariza? he looked rusty..
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#91 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:29 am

Indeed, Ariza looked very rusty.
eatyourchildren
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by eatyourchildren » Mon Jun 9, 2008 8:31 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:I don't like how this entire playoffs has been obvious home advantage too..every series has been the same..hopefully that changes next year..

if Radmanovic is sitting, doesn't that mean Walton comes on? not much of a difference..2 of the most entertaining players in the NBA for non-Laker fans, I love watching them play..

Ariza? he looked rusty..

I'd play Sasha at SG and Kobe at SF
Elway=GOAT
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#93 » by Elway=GOAT » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:09 am

It is mind-boggling to me, that Laker fans are actually crying about not getting calls. You guys do realize, you are the Laker's right? I mean, we have all witnessed countless teams getting hosed, and screwed in favor of you're team. Ask the Jazz what they think about the Laker's not getting calls.

Ask Mike Bibby's nose...

This is karma coming back at its finest. Do I think the calls have been in favor of the C's? Yes, though not as bad as Laker's fans are making it. They are just so used to getting every call in there favor, that its kinda new to them, I guess. I can not think of a dumber, more arrogant, and obnoxious fan base in all of sports, than the Laker fan base. Of course they have some good fans, who know what they are talking about. But in general that fan base is just dumb as a box of rocks.
FatSam
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#94 » by FatSam » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:23 am

"4th lowest Free Throw Attempts in NBA Finals history"-S.Scott, ESPN
Number34
Analyst

Post#95 » by Number34 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 9:47 am

your point being?
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#96 » by Bgil » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:32 am

It is mind-boggling to me, that Laker fans are actually crying about not getting calls. You guys do realize, you are the Laker's right? I mean, we have all witnessed countless teams getting hosed, and screwed in favor of you're team. Ask the Jazz what they think about the Laker's not getting calls.

That's bull. Jazz fans are just mad because they're in denial about their team. They hack, plain and simple. Every Jazz fan on the board wanted to act like Gasol and Odom were just as dirty and "physical" as Okur and Boozer... which laughable at best. Kobe was also taking the ball to the rack on nearly every possession. With exception to game 3 that series was called just fine.

The Spurs have a legit complaint about the Fisher-Barry thing but the Jazz were just in denial.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
FatSam
Sophomore
And1: 9

Post#97 » by FatSam » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:33 am

Number34 wrote:your point being?

Unless you live on Pluto and have no idea what transpired in terms of the officiating in last nights game, then the point is glaringly clear. It must be beyond you.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by Bgil » Mon Jun 9, 2008 10:41 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:well if it's valid to talk about a conspiracy against Boston, why not talk about the Gasol trade? I don't think anybody wants to talk about conspiracies..

The horse called the Gasol trade has been beaten to death. Not one shred of evidence supporting your case and with the team on the verge of being sold it made PERFECT sense. All your imaginary trade scenarios with Memphis getting equal talent by taking on equal salary (with no expiring at that) are frankly ridiculous when we know Memphis was a bottom feeder WITH Gasol. Obviously they still would have been a bottom feeder had one of your loony trades gone down. Financially it made perfect sense.

Boston's trade with Minny was much worse considering the GM's history.

But someone with Tim "please sit out the entire year, Mr. Robinson" Duncan in their avatar is in no position to complain about conspiracies.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
icewill36
Senior
And1: 2

Post#99 » by icewill36 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:05 am

Bgil wrote:

That's bull. Jazz fans are just mad because they're in denial about their team. They hack, plain and simple. Every Jazz fan on the board wanted to act like Gasol and Odom were just as dirty and "physical" as Okur and Boozer... which laughable at best. Kobe was also taking the ball to the rack on nearly every possession. With exception to game 3 that series was called just fine.

The Spurs have a legit complaint about the Fisher-Barry thing but the Jazz were just in denial.

well IMO, the lakers are a mismatch for the jazz similar to the way boston is a mismatch for LA, and that is the real reason for the FT discrepancy. the lakers simply cannot guard the celtics. they can't stop penetration from rondo or pierce, KG can get a good look at any time whether its a midrange jumper, or post move (although he has been off), and it seems kobe really gets tired chasing ray around screens, so now he's getting good looks everytime too. the lakers are poor on help defense and that is forcing them to foul. if the lakers would stay in their offense they could break the Cs down more with the pass and maybe force some more fouls but they arent staying in it. IMO kobe needs to start passing more. look how high a percentage gasol is shooting in the series but he can't get more than 11 attempts. kobe seems to be shooting just because he can, just to prove that he can score on boston but its not helping the team. yes i know he had 8 assists tonight, but he needs to pass it even more. he needs to make sure he is getting gasol the ball more because hes getting good looks.....but their main problem is DEFENSE, like i said.

boston has been a bad matchup for the lakers all year.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#100 » by mr_sunshine » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:32 am

FatSam wrote:"4th lowest Free Throw Attempts in NBA Finals history"-S.Scott, ESPN

Tell Kobe and Co. to stop shooting 20+ 3s and mid-range fadeaways with 2 hands in their face all game, and maybe, just maybe they'll get more FT attempts if they do this thing called "attacking the rim" instead. I'm sure Leon Powe can fill them in on the details.

Return to The General Board