Rookie Play, Highlights & Discussion

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who are your top 3?

Anthony
4%
Ball
34%
Bey
4%
Edwards
18%
Haliburton
24%
Okoro
1%
Quickley
10%
Tate
1%
Williams
2%
Wiseman
4%

Total votes: 735

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#801 » by Marcus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:16 am

LordCovington33 wrote:Maxey with 13 points at half time. The guy has been balling lately. The best rookie on a contending team thus far.

Is the full roster back?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,880

Re: Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#802 » by LordCovington33 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:19 am

Marcus wrote:
LordCovington33 wrote:Maxey with 13 points at half time. The guy has been balling lately. The best rookie on a contending team thus far.

Is the full roster back?

Almost ... Seth Curry still out
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#803 » by Bologna Smasher » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:I'm the captain of the Xavier Tillman hype train.
Tillman Sr. with 12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 3 billion screens.

It was so obvious before the draft that someone with his intelligence, defense, and skills was going to be a contributing guy in the NBA for a long time. It still blows my mind that he dropped as far as he did. He won't necessarily have gaudy box scores, but he will always be a plus player contributing to wins.

I don't even want to look at it as a Kings fan. He was one of the key guys I wanted in the draft. It was obvious he was going to be a steal. We somehow got Haliburton and then were able to pick Tillman... but traded him. :banghead:

You guys got a good one.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,417

Post#804 » by amcoolio » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:20 am

It's hilarious that LaMelo is the best defender of the rookie class so far

anotherhomer
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,049

Post#805 » by anotherhomer » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:39 am

yo dude. congrats to heats for drafting a talented big with playmaking ability
But as a raptors fan, i have to take wiseman long-term over any of these guys

You have to see the videos for yourself to see how high the guy's ceiling is, and not only that, he has a good chance of reaching it if he continues

I'm quite jealous at the Heat for pulling off a very successful tank.

I don't buy the Lamelo is more talented than Wiseman thing

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
righterwriter wrote:
Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
Achiuwa is older but he doesn't have as much basketball experience as most of these other rookies. It's like a Siakam situation. I think you can argue that Achiuwa has more upside than Wiseman. Wiseman has zero playmaking skill while Achiuwa in his first start had 3 assists. Achiuwa is already one of the best offensive rebounding big man in the NBA. He can defend 2-5. He's making over 60% of his shots on 5 attempts per game. How exactly is Wiseman putting up better stats?

Why don't you tell me how Wiseman is not putting up better stats? I can see it for myself in the links I provided.

BTW, neither of them are point guards, so one guy getting three assists in a game doesn't really matter at this point.

I'll take the 7 foot/240lb 19 year old who can block shots, sky above the rim, shoot it from outside, and even handle it pretty damned well.

Anyway, not going to convince you, so let's just see how things go.

Achiuwa is much more efficient than Wiseman and gives you extra opportunities to score. You asked me about stats however you're now saying that Achiuwa's playmaking ability is irrelevant because they're both centers? How is playmaking ability irrelevant for centers? Wiseman being 7-feet tall hardly means anything. Achiuwa is 6-9 which means that he can cover multiple positions. You're only saying that you can't convince me cause you know you have an extremely weak and illogical argument so you're better off just discontinuing it here.
Alonzo_Morning
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,624

Post#807 » by Alonzo_Morning » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Bologna Smasher wrote:
Tillman Sr. with 12 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 3 billion screens.

It was so obvious before the draft that someone with his intelligence, defense, and skills was going to be a contributing guy in the NBA for a long time. It still blows my mind that he dropped as far as he did. He won't necessarily have gaudy box scores, but he will always be a plus player contributing to wins.

I don't even want to look at it as a Kings fan. He was one of the key guys I wanted in the draft. It was obvious he was going to be a steal. We somehow got Haliburton and then were able to pick Tillman... but traded him. :banghead:

You guys got a good one.

Look at this grown ass man

He's twenty freakin' two!
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#808 » by Clocian » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:35 pm

amcoolio wrote:It's hilarious that LaMelo is the best defender of the rookie class so far

That goes to Pat sir. Who's already been given the responsibility to guard the likes of LeBron, kawhai, Giannis and other top talent :)

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Damn I love Hip Hop!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,358

Post#809 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:52 pm

Bologna Smasher wrote:

You guys got a good one.

I desperately wanted the Raptors to get him. We could really use the big man help now.
KembaWalker
RealGM
And1: 11,817

Post#810 » by KembaWalker » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:41 pm

Clocian wrote:
amcoolio wrote:It's hilarious that LaMelo is the best defender of the rookie class so far

That goes to Pat sir. Who's already been given the responsibility to guard the likes of LeBron, kawhai, Giannis and other top talent :)

Lamelo is 11th in DBPM, with most of the names at the top the guys youd generally expect to see
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2021_advanced.html

people still are calling him a horrible defender because of..reputation I guess? or him memeing in a video saying he doesn't care about defense when he was a kid.

he's actually been exceptionally good on defense and its time people start to realize it
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,735

Post#811 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:18 pm

CBS Sports just jumped him to the top of their rookie ladder. Don’t know how legit the rumor that the Rockers demanded him being included in a Harden deal. Probably just speculation. But I’d be hard put to let him go at this point.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#812 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:17 am

rzzzzz wrote:

CBS Sports just jumped him to the top of their rookie ladder. Don’t know how legit the rumor that the Rockers demanded him being included in a Harden deal. Probably just speculation. But I’d be hard put to let him go at this point.

He’s growing in confidence since he got an increase in minutes following the Seth Curry positive test. One good thing that has come out of it.
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant

Post#813 » by LordCovington33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:51 am

Read on Twitter
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#814 » by Justin33 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:16 am

Pritchard with another solid game
;ab_channel=HooperHighlights
BugginOut
Head Coach
And1: 7,829

Post#815 » by BugginOut » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:19 am

Back to back good games from Quickley 23 points in 28 minutes. He really needs to be starting for the Knicks. Only person on our team that can consistently shoot.
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#816 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 am

righterwriter wrote:

I was actually more impressed by his defense on Murray in this video than the dunk, tbh
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,292

Rookie Watch - try to put rookie talk here..and video highlight for people to see 

Post#817 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 am

Wrong thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Clocian
RealGM
And1: 2,606

Post#818 » by Clocian » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:42 am

Another great game by Pat tonight. Just plays like a pro out there. Shot never hits the rim, and is a beast on defense. 5/7 from the field and 2/3 from 3. Imagine what he'll do when he becomes the first option instead of the 5th like he is currently.

Damn I love Hip Hop!
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 14,024

Post#819 » by scrabbarista » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 am

BadWolf wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I went back a few pages and didn't see any lists. So who would be on the All Rookie team and ROY so far??

ROY should be Haliburton.

He's leading rookies in ppg, and is 0.2 apg behind LaMelo. His TS% is over .700, while LaMelo's is under .500. Also, Haliburton's team is better (via +/-) when he's on the floor, while LaMelo's is worse.

I'd consider:

First Team

LaMelo Ball
Payton Pritchard
Tyrese Haliburton
Deni Avdija
Precious Achiuwa

Second Team

Tyrese Maxey
Anthony Edwards
Devin Vassell
Isaiah Stewart
Xavier Tillman, Sr.

Wiseman is close enough that I'd almost be fine with him over anyone on the Second Team, but I feel pretty strongly about that First Team (only so far, of course).

Did you forget about PatWill?

Probably, yeah. It's tough. There are a lot of guys, and there isn't a lot to separate them.
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,143

Post#820 » by DroseReturnChi » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:22 am

Clocian wrote:

I thought you mentioned best player. Either way, Lamelo fails both bc its obv PW or Hali.
Lamelo isnt playing lights ahead. Look at his stats compared to NBL and its very similar.
Its borderline criminal PW is shooting less than Hali when he is as good of a shooter if not better on a bottom 5 team.
His defense is elite as expected already guarding mvps but the offense is what shocked Lebron, Kawhi. I would be very surprised if he cannot avg 20/5/5 while making all defensive given that his jumper is more advanced than any superstar at the same age.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.

Return to The General Board