Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Re: Andrew Wiggins, worst max player ever? 

Post#821 » by The_Hater » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:55 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the Wizards would have a much easier time moving John Wall's 200 million, than Minnesota has at moving Wiggin's 140 million.

Pretty sure the Raptors take Wiggins after next year if its just salary for salary with no hesitation.

I’m not so sure. Ujiri didn’t get to be a top GM by paying $10-12 million level players $30 million. Where the player was born should never matter.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,789

Post#822 » by Pachinko_ » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:59 am

You guys don't get it, this guy has totally figured out the NBA!

Wiggins looks uninterested -> gets the 1st draft pick
Walks around looking disengaged -> gets rookie of the year
Looks bored -> gets a max contract
Zero improvement -> his team goes to the playoffs for the first time in 14 years

All he has to do is exactly nothing and he'll get ring in a couple of years the way he's going
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#823 » by LloydFree » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:02 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think the Wizards would have a much easier time moving John Wall's 200 million, than Minnesota has at moving Wiggin's 140 million.

Pretty sure the Raptors take Wiggins after next year if its just salary for salary with no hesitation.

Then you must be predicting that the Raptors will have a new GM in a couple years. Masai Ujiri is too smart for that. You're looking at it from the casual, Canadian fan angle. No good executive is going to accept that salary.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,461

Post#824 » by picc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:19 am

Pachinko_ wrote:You guys don't get it, this guy has totally figured out the NBA!

Zero improvement -> his team goes to the playoffs for the first time in 14 years

All he has to do is exactly nothing and he'll get ring in a couple of years the way he's going

Holy...

Wiggins = Neo
The NBA = Matrix

:o
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,461

Post#825 » by picc » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:20 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
picc wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:Towns is an enigma on defense and its sad because it's something that he should excel at given he has good defensive tools and he's a smart person but idk he's just not able to see and anticipate things in real time I think. It's certainly possible that Thibs system might be too complex for him to grasp and that's part of the issue but then he has problems complaining to refs so he doesn't get back in transition and he's just a spaz I don't know how else to describe it. It's like he's in his own head and cannot calm down and see things clearly. I think he also worries about picking up fouls as that's something he's struggled with here and there going back to college.

Towns was -43 through the 5 game series. He's actually done well in the +/- side of things in the regular season but mainly because his offense can be really potent and it doesn't hurt that he played a lot with Butler who is much better.

Not familiar with Thibs defensive system in Minnie, but the extremely basic and universal system of "help your teammates on defense" shouldn't be too complex to grasp for anyone. I saw KAT refusing to move in the general direction of an opposing player who has penetrated the lane, or in the direction of a three point shooter he's in closest proximity to. Just mind-boggling stuff that would present a problem regardless of what system was being run.

He has the size to be a good defender, but his lack of coordination and positioning turns his size into just another tool to be manipulated into fouls. Lot of work to do to even become average on that end.

Referring specifically to Thibs ICE system on side pick and rolls that revolutionized the NBA. I don't understand everything about it but I do know that they try to force the ball handler baseline but it's very important that the big, which is often Towns, needs to be very vocal and committed on what to do because the other teammate involved in the PnR relies on the big man to lead them because they are a bit more exposed than in a traditional pick and roll defense or in a switching system that a lot of teams use now, because with ICE, the guy defending the ball handler doesn't defend them straight up. Towns is really bad at defending the pick and roll, bad at a lot of things on defense of course but it could be that he's just not getting that. As to closing out on shooters, it's a problem I've noticed since his rookie year, he's just lazy on that which is unfortunate because that's where his excellent mobility could really be put to use.

In any event, I find it hard to put too much blame on Thibs for the defense, I think it's difficult to find a more credentialed defensive mind in the league, maybe he should share some of the blame but your center can't be one of the worst defending centers in the NBA and still have a good team defense.

I blame Thibodeau for some of it. He's been god awful in every way as a leader.

But yes, the majority of the blame has to go to Towns. Until he develops on defense, no team he's on will ever win anything. I'm sure of that.
BackseatBoss
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,269

Post#826 » by BackseatBoss » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:02 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I think the Wizards would have a much easier time moving John Wall's 200 million, than Minnesota has at moving Wiggin's 140 million.

I’m not so sure. Ujiri didn’t get to be a top GM by paying $10-12 million level players $30 million. Where the player was born should never matter.

Have you ever heard of this guy called Serge Ibaka?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,060

Post#827 » by The_Hater » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm

BackseatBoss wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Have you ever heard of this guy called Serge Ibaka?

I’m not sure I understand your point?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 64,172

Post#828 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:57 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:You guys don't get it, this guy has totally figured out the NBA!

dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,934

Post#829 » by dTox » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:

TBZ for the win
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,331

Post#830 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:02 pm

MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#831 » by MaxRider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:02 pm

I hope next season Butler can take a backseat like Lowry to DeRozan
let Wiggins learn to take over his role
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,627

Post#832 » by jacoby1us » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Not the worse of all-time but he is definitely not worth the money that the T-Wolves have invested in him. Him and a few other players would be on the block on that roster after that performance. His interest/intensity level is just not there at all. James Harden literally walked past him with the basketball on any given possession and was never challenged. It was an eye sore watching him play on either end of the court.

He scored in garbage times when the game was too far out of reach, like how do you not want to compete and win in the playoffs that you fought so hard to get too? Jesus Freaking CHRIST!
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#833 » by jacoby1us » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:07 pm

MaxRider wrote:I hope next season Butler can take a backseat like Lowry to DeRozan

Dude you have to want to be an ALPHA MALE to do that. Apparently Wiggins is NOT an ALPHA MALE. He enjoys/prefers being the third or fourth fiddle.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#834 » by MaxRider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:14 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
MaxRider wrote:I hope next season Butler can take a backseat like Lowry to DeRozan

Dude you have to want to be an ALPHA MALE to do that. Apparently Wiggins is NOT an ALPHA MALE. He enjoys/prefers being the third or fourth fiddle.

sound like he wanted to be the guy
but hard to do it when you have Butler/Towns as their 1st/2nd
jacoby1us
General Manager

Post#835 » by jacoby1us » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:45 pm

MaxRider wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:

If he "wanted to be the man", he would play like it. Talking and doing are two totally different things. I just don't see it in his play that he wants to be the leader of this team.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,138

Post#836 » by thinktank » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 pm

jacoby1us wrote:James Harden literally walked past him with the basketball on any given possession and was never challenged.

That's one example but I read today that Wiggins had the lowest opponent FG% of anyone on our roster this series. Wiggins forced Harden into multiple airballs also. I thought he did a better job on Harden than Butler.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,222

Post#837 » by Mister Ze » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:50 pm

Wiggins in his first playoff series:

16/5r/2 on 44/33 shooting

Michael Jordan in his first playoff series:

29/6r/9 on 44/13 shooting

Factor in the fact that Michael Jordan didn't have Jimmy Butler and Towns and I think we have a really special player on our hands

Spoiler:
MaxRider
RealGM

Post#838 » by MaxRider » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:53 pm

jacoby1us wrote:
MaxRider wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:

If he "wanted to be the man", he would play like it. Talking and doing are two totally different things. I just don't see it in his play that he wants to be the leader of this team.

he played pretty good in his 3rd year and then Butler arrived and we know the story
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 6,032

Post#839 » by Zeitgeister » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 pm

MaxRider wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:
MaxRider wrote:

he played pretty good in his 3rd year and then Butler arrived and we know the story

Yes we do, the team won 16 more games.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,761

Post#840 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Hahaha.

Imagine thinking Butler is to blame for Wiggins stagnating or whatever.

There's no playoffs without Butler there.

Return to The General Board