Phil Jackson already working the refs

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Re: Phil Jackson already working the refs 

Post#21 » by USA » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

He has a point. Durant is averaging more fta this season then Kobe has ever in his career.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#22 » by irie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:10 pm

The same people that will defend these mind games will bash others (i.e. KG).

People only agree with the mind games if they work in their favor. Otherwise it's unsportsmanlike.
♣|☸
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#23 » by No Offense » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Does anybody else remember when he was working the refs before the Lakers game in Cleveland last year? He said that, and I quote, "LeBron gets away with murder out there.'

I can't be the only person who sees the irony in that. Kobe doesn't exactly have the best track record (and I'm not talking refs).

Anyway, I don't mind that he works the refs. What I do mind is when it works.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#24 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Phillip has been fined countless times over his career and a couple times this season alone for ref bashing he continually does this kind of stuff and doesn't worry about the irony and or being a hypocrite as many have said.

He is probably doing this more to rattle the young Thunder team and Durant more than anything. He speaks his mind and pays for it.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#25 » by L&H_05 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 pm

I'd like to see this cat just sit in a regular seat instead of looking like a hood ornament over there on the sidelines...

I hope he calls it a career sooner rather than later...
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:08 pm

L&H_05 wrote:I'd like to see this cat just sit in a regular seat instead of looking like a hood ornament over there on the sidelines...

I hope he calls it a career sooner rather than later...

When in doubt.. rip on the injury side of things. You know he has had 2 hip replacements and sitting in a regular seat is actually painful for him.

Pretty petty off-topic dig.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#27 » by Avalanche » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Its going to be really interesting to see how much the refs let artest get away with while defending durant
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#28 » by L&H_05 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Phil X wrote:
When in doubt.. rip on the injury side of things. You know he has had 2 hip replacements and sitting in a regular seat is actually painful for him.

Interesting that you use the word petty in a Phil Jackson thread... Appropriate word indeed however ---regardless of the context in which it was played...

If big Phil is in pain, he should perhaps call it a career...
dula14
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#29 » by dula14 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 pm

It's amazing that people still get worked up over Phil and his obvious mind games. This is nothing but gamesmanship by the Zen Master. I don't think he is ever really serious when taking these jabs at the opposition, but if they happen to get his team a call or two or get inside an opposing player's head then all the better.
Miamis3rdRing
Banned User
And1: 131

Post#30 » by Miamis3rdRing » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:14 pm

Phil is right! How dare Kevin Durant go to the FT line often. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant never got favorable calls.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#31 » by LApwnd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Swagtastic wrote:I can't even imagine what Kobe is going to get away with this year in the playoffs.

Maybe he'll elbow someone in the face while he passes the ball to himself off the backboard, draw a loose ball foul, then still get credit for the shot. :roll:

FAIL, it'll be a flagrant foul 2 for hurting Kobe's elbows, followed by 2 immediate T on the opposing Coach.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#32 » by Cro_Ruption » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

he's a hypocrite, but hes correct, you can breathe on Durant without being called for a foul
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,964

Post#33 » by DusterBuster » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 pm

This is breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!

From 1996.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by LLcoleJ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 pm

L&H_05 wrote:
Phil X wrote:

Interesting that you use the word petty in a Phil Jackson thread... Appropriate word indeed however ---regardless of the context in which it was played...

If big Phil is in pain, he should perhaps call it a career...

Phil gets plenty petty and that is what makes him entertaining. Look he makes a statement about Durant getting to the line a lot and it leads to discussion about him retiring.

I like Phil because he is a character. I think characters a good for the NBA. There is only one reason that I can think of that you would want Phil to retire and I think it has nothing to do with his comfort sitting on chair.
SadKingsFan
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#35 » by SadKingsFan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:05 pm

mefromthefuture wrote:I like it when Phil does this because most of what he says is true but you could say the same for the players he has coached and that would be true.

And 1
JimMurray
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#36 » by JimMurray » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 am

Obviously Phil is smarter than all of you. Look how rattled all of you are getting, and you're not even in the game. Imagine what must be brewing in young Durant's mind right now.

Phil is genius

10 rings...

all the haters can suck it.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#37 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:51 am

eatyourchildren wrote:Phil Jackson also tooling the kids who come on here to call him a hypocrite. They're patented Zen Master mind games for a reason, geniuses.

Let me list them out so you know who you are:
Boo
Soul
Diamond
PTown
Soup

LOL. Who's next?
This post is an instant classic !
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#38 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 am

I would like to see Jackson and Stern get in a battle of witty comments about the other.

I want the league to stop making coaches walk on egg shells. You should be able to say the ref made a bad call. You shouldnt be able to say the ref was biased and corrupt, that needs to be addressed in house.

I wish Phil Jackson wanted to be the commish because he knows the job from a players stand point, from a coaching stand point and from an owners stand point (since he lives w/ Jeanie Buss). He cares too much about his rep and the game to mess it up and also knows how to communicate with guys. Anyone could have invested in some where _ happens ads and get all the credit for sports becoming more popular. PJ could do wonders for the game.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#39 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:03 am

Also if you think about it. Jordan did wonders for the game of basketball in the 90s. After the lockout Shaq/Kobe did wonders for the game in the 2000s. Indirectly Phil did wonders for the game because he got those players motivated and organized enough to become champs.

Phil might have done as much for the game over the last 20 years as Stern did writing the checks to the marketing firms and pleather balls and Seattle and....
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#40 » by darth_federer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:09 am

Mamba Venom wrote:I would like to see Jackson and Stern get in a battle of witty comments about the other.

I want the league to stop making coaches walk on egg shells. You should be able to say the ref made a bad call. You shouldnt be able to say the ref was biased and corrupt, that needs to be addressed in house.

I wish Phil Jackson wanted to be the commish because he knows the job from a players stand point, from a coaching stand point and from an owners stand point (since he lives w/ Jeanie Buss). He cares too much about his rep and the game to mess it up and also knows how to communicate with guys. Anyone could have invested in some where _ happens ads and get all the credit for sports becoming more popular. PJ could do wonders for the game.

No you dont. You dont want this to be like english football where star managers get away with intimidating referees. If youre going to allow coaches to criticizes referees, then you let others publicly criticize the coach.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.

Return to The General Board