The Boundaries of a PA Announcer

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

THROWBACK_91
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Re: The Boundaries of a PA Announcer 

Post#21 » by THROWBACK_91 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:47 pm

I just want to use this opportunity to say I HATE NIEL FUNK WITH A PASSION THAT IS UNMATCHED.

That is all
MysteriousMystery
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#22 » by MysteriousMystery » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

The NBA has rules regarding things like decibel level and the content of pre-recorded music and sound effects played over the PA. In the late 90s, Orlando, Indiana and a few other teams were warned by the NBA for being too loud or too ridiculous with their PA announcer.
--MM
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,672

Post#23 » by Roger Murdock » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

I have this image in my head of game 7 of the NBA finals. 2 seconds left on the clock. Lakers vs cavs on cavs home court, Cavs up two points. Kobe at the free throw line. Hits the first shot. Lakers down one. Then next shot coming, and during his shot the PA announcer screams 'PENIS!', Kobe loses his concentration and its clinks off the front iron. Cavs win, everyone goes crazy.
hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#24 » by hourockman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 pm

MysteriousMystery wrote:The NBA has rules regarding things like decibel level and the content of pre-recorded music and sound effects played over the PA. In the late 90s, Orlando, Indiana and a few other teams were warned by the NBA for being too loud or too ridiculous with their PA announcer.

The atmosphere in Toronto for their first year was vomit worthy. The guy was a screamer, did the stutter scream (JUH JUH JUH JUH JUH JAAAAAAM! OOOOLIVEEEER MILLEEEEEEERRRRRR!) Sound effects blasted during opposing FTs, seizure light shows, gaudy uniforms/floor. Everything. Now it's just the fans that are obnoxious.
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#25 » by Neato » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:33 pm

:lol: These are some great anecdotes. It's funny that I don't remember any of this.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#26 » by drew881 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:18 pm

Just another reason the NBA is a joke sport compared to the other big leagues. It is the only sport that allows arenas to pump in music and sound effects during game play...what does that say of the sport if it has to be accompanied by music?
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#27 » by BubbaTee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:20 pm

drew881 wrote:Just another reason the NBA is a joke sport compared to the other big leagues. It is the only sport that allows arenas to pump in music and sound effects during game play...what does that say of the sport if it has to be accompanied by music?

MLB has music going on all the time. People don't just yell "Charge!" 3 times out of nowhere, it's preceded by the organ player (or a recorded version) playing the little lead-up ditty. There's also "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", which is sung mid-game in every single game of the season.

The NHL also traditionally has organ music during gameplay, though like baseball actual playing is being phased out in favor of pre-recorded music.

In the NFL, the Colts have been accused of piping in crowd noise. And in college football the bands never shut up.

In soccer people are always singing that "Ole" song.

I guess it's a mark against all these sports as well that they have to be accompanied by music?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#28 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm

There is never any music being played DURING game play in those sports, it's always during breaks in the action. Hell, a referee can call a delay of game penalty in the NHL on the home team if music isn't turned off during play.

And FYI, PA guys don't control the sound effects. Each game has a director who runs the sound effects, videoboard graphic, little games and promotions, and tells the PA guy when to speak (except for when a player scores, fouls, etc.)
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#29 » by BubbaTee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:15 pm

WEFFPIM wrote:There is never any music being played DURING game play in those sports, it's always during breaks in the action. Hell, a referee can call a delay of game penalty in the NHL on the home team if music isn't turned off during play.

I was more responding to the last line: "what does that say of the sport if it has to be accompanied by music?"

Music can do a lot to enhance the way fans consume sports. Practically every NBA highlight compilation on Youtube has accompanying music, excepting the ones where audio is disabled over copyright issues. March Madness on CBS is capped every year with a compilation of highlights backed up by the song "One Shining Moment."

And of course the soundtracks for NFL Films are legendary. Sam Spence's music is just as much a signature of the series as the revolutionary idea of using movie-grade film to record games instead of videotape.
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#30 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 pm

i lawld at the drexler vid
JordanL
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#31 » by JordanL » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 am

The Blazers PA guy doesn't really say anything interesting.

He does have two different voices though. He has the voice he uses for the good things, that sounds enthusiastic and happy, and the voice he uses for the bad things, which sounds like a father who's ready to beat your ass.

Return to The General Board