Top 5 Disappointments of 2009-10 NBA Season

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Alex G
Ballboy
And1: 0

Top 5 Disappointments of 2009-10 NBA Season 

Post#1 » by Alex G » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Thoughts?
The 2009-10 NBA regular season is officially over. However, before the playoffs begin, it is important to reflect on the failed predictions and huge disappointments from the regular season.

The following list of teams and players were saddled with lofty expectations, and proceeded to miserably underachieve:

5.) The Los Angeles Lakers

Alright, so maybe they didn’t miserably underachieve.

It is always hard to mention a defending champions and the word “disappointing” in the same sentence but, all things considered, this season did not turn out as planned for the purple and gold.

Laker fans were excited when they first heard they were getting Ron Artest in place of Trevor Ariza. Sure Ariza was nice, but Artest was a household name. After all, he was a former Defensive Player of the Year, a former All-Star, has countless All-Defensive Team nods, etc.

Then, as icing on the cake, Lamar Odom was resigned after a stressful contract negotiation period.

As Laker management was packing Ariza’s bags and sending him off, there were all kinds of crazy predictions for what 2009-10 would hold for the team. It was said they would definitely get the best record in the league. Maybe even break the 72-win record set by the Bulls...

Not so much.

Instead, after starting strong, the Lakers offered a consistently inconsistent effort all season long. What started out as aiming for the best record in the league, quickly turned into hope that they would still be able to get the top record in the Western Conference.

Despite what felt like Kobe Bryant putting up 81 buzzer beaters in 82 games, the Lakers did not even get to 60 wins this year.

The postseason kicks off for the Lakers against the Oklahoma City Thunder this Sunday. Fans, management, and players can only hope the playoffs don’t end up as disappointing as the regular season has been.

4.) Hedo Turkoglu

In one season, Turkoglu managed to go from a respected veteran on a finals team, to a running joke on a team that got eliminated from playoff contention.

This past summer, the Toronto Raptors “won” a bidding war with the Portland Trail Blazers to get Turkoglu for a whopping $53 million over five years. The hefty price tag came as a result of a productive 2008-09 campaign during which Turkoglu led the Orlando Magic to within three wins of an NBA title. His clutch, smart play was a key reason the Magic were able to upset the Cleveland Cavaliers and emerge from the Eastern Conference.

This season observers saw a different Turkoglu. He put up his lowest output since the 2003-04 season with only 11.1 points per game on 40.9% shooting from the field. His assist and rebounding totals were at a two-year low, and his defense was repeatedly criticized by both coaches and analysts.

His on-the-court disappointments aside, Turkoglu’s biggest blunder came when he missed a game -- because of a “stomach virus” -- only to be seen at a Toronto nightclub later that night. The move was considered a slap in the face to both fans and franchise, and Turkoglu was subsequently benched for the next game.

The Raptors only missed the playoffs by one game this year. If not for Turkoglu’s lackadaisical play all year, they -- and not the Chicago Bulls -- would have earned the right to get destroyed by the Cavaliers in the first round.

3.) The Chicago Bulls

The Bulls officially won a date with the Cleveland Cavaliers in the first round of the NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs. If they manage to win more than one game in the series, David Stern should grant them an automatic entrance into the second round.

Just one year ago the Bulls had the entire league buzzing after taking the -- injured -- Boston Celtics to seven games in the first round of the playoffs. Full of dramatic finishes and close scores, the series was seen as a major growing point for a franchise that was rebuilding around Derrick Rose. Everyone in Chicago was excited to see what they had in store for coming years.

Then, this season happened.

First, the Bulls lost their most proven and clutch scorer in Ben Gordon to the Detroit Pistons. A series of injuries to young stars Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah followed. At the trade deadline, a big piece of their puzzle from last year’s playoff run in John Salmons was shipped off to create cap room for this summer. Finally, to put the cherry on top: head coach Vinny Del Negro and VP of Basketball Operations Jim Paxon got into a physical altercation.

Yesterday, the Bulls beat the Toronto Raptors (see above) and stumbled into the final seed of the Eastern Conference Playoff picture. However, the Bulls are already looking ahead to this summer. They have a lot of cap room to work with, and they are hoping to score on the free agent market. The team can only pray its offseason does not end up as disappointing as their regular season.

2.) The Washington Wizards

This seems like a memory from many years ago, but there was a time during the summer when many thought the Washington Wizards could contend for homecourt in the Eastern Conference playoffs. With Gilbert Arenas returning, the three-headed monster (Arenas, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison) was supposed to make some serious noise. At the very least, the team was supposed to hover around the seven seed and eventually make the playoffs.

Hope was in the air.

Fast forward to today. Arenas is in a half-way-house for bringing guns into the Wizards locker room. Butler and Jamison were traded -- for next to nothing -- to the Dallas Mavericks and Cleveland Cavaliers, respectively.

Aside from one or two impressive young players who are putting up numbers partially because there is no one else to do the scoring, the Wizards really have nothing to look forward to past this disappointing season either.

Entire url: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/top-5-disappointments-of-2009-10-nba-season
Spurtatcus
Starter
And1: 29

Re: Top 5 Disappointments of 2009-10 NBA Season 

Post#2 » by Spurtatcus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:44 pm

While Jefferson has certainly been a disappointment, to say that nothing he does warrants playing time is ludicrous. He has played much better since the ASG overall.
bill curley II
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#3 » by bill curley II » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 pm

RJ was the biggest disappointment this year in th eNBA? Really? The only thing that happened to him was that he went from being a #1 or #2 option on a team to the 4th option this year. His fg%, rbds and assists are pretty consistent with his last few years if you **** for the lower # of touches in his assist totals.
IceNcream27
Senior

Post#4 » by IceNcream27 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

5.) The Los Angeles Lakers

Alright, so maybe they didn’t miserably underachieve.

It is always hard to mention a defending champions and the word “disappointing” in the same sentence but, all things considered, this season did not turn out as planned for the purple and gold.

Laker fans were excited when they first heard they were getting Ron Artest in place of Trevor Ariza. Sure Ariza was nice, but Artest was a household name. After all, he was a former Defensive Player of the Year, a former All-Star, has countless All-Defensive Team nods, etc.

Then, as icing on the cake, Lamar Odom was resigned after a stressful contract negotiation period.

As Laker management was packing Ariza’s bags and sending him off, there were all kinds of crazy predictions for what 2009-10 would hold for the team. It was said they would definitely get the best record in the league. Maybe even break the 72-win record set by the Bulls...

Not so much.

Instead, after starting strong, the Lakers offered a consistently inconsistent effort all season long. What started out as aiming for the best record in the league, quickly turned into hope that they would still be able to get the top record in the Western Conference.

Despite what felt like Kobe Bryant putting up 81 buzzer beaters in 82 games, the Lakers did not even get to 60 wins this year.

The postseason kicks off for the Lakers against the Oklahoma City Thunder this Sunday. Fans, management, and players can only hope the playoffs don’t end up as disappointing as the regular season has been

Speaking about the team i watch religiously...........all i can say is this:

Injuries.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#5 » by AKfanatic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:54 pm

I really don't get the Bulls being a top 5 disappointment, hell most experts I saw picked them to MISS the playoffs. They made the playoffs and cleared cap room for the summer check and check. The guy goes out of his way to mention the loss of Ben Gordon, then puts Ben Gordon in the honorable mention spot with Charlie V as a "career underachiever".

Also, Turk needs to be much higher on the list...everyone hyped his signing and also said Orlando would drop off do to his loss, how'd that go?

i'd put NJ up there as most thought they'd miss the playoffs, but nobody thought they'd be historically bad.

Edit: This guy surely doesn't read Realgm or the Raps/Magic Randolph would be 1-2
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#6 » by Sting3r » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm

I agree with all except for the bulls. I knew they weren't gonna be any good so not much of a disappointment.
elbowthrower
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by elbowthrower » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:00 pm

For me it was Karl getting cancer.
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by Lionel Messi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

#1 should be the refereeing.

It was absolutely brutal ALL year.
Chester0
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by Chester0 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:01 pm

I don't know that RJ himself was the biggest disappointment. The Spurs were far more disappointing overall. The hype for them was ridiculous but transparent as ****. A lot of people were picking them to win the west and even challenge for the title. They end up a 7 seed?
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#10 » by Raptor_Guy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:06 pm

The Bulls lost their top scorer and didn't replace him this season, they dealt with injuries and still actually won more than they did last season. How is that disappointing?
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#11 » by TommyTheCat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:16 pm

the season's just starting
jngshin
Sophomore

Post#12 » by jngshin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I'd say its injuries. Blake Griffin, Yao Ming, Greg Oden, etc etc. Personally, the one that hit the hardest was Blake Griffin because I really wanted to see what he can do. Instead he could easily end up as a "what could've been" type Clipper.
www.slamdunksetc.com
Dunks and commentary
LA Titletown
Banned User

Post#13 » by LA Titletown » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Chester0 wrote:I don't know that RJ himself was the biggest disappointment. The Spurs were far more disappointing overall. The hype for them was ridiculous but transparent as ****. A lot of people were picking them to win the west and even challenge for the title. They end up a 7 seed?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#14 » by C.lupus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 pm

5. Al Jefferson
4. Kevin Love
3. Ryan Gomes
2. Jonny Flynn
1. Sasha Pavlovic
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#15 » by darth_federer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm

HEDO TURKOGLU THAT USELESS P.O.S was the biggest disappointment of the year.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
ahonui06
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#16 » by ahonui06 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:34 pm

Was Richard Jefferson supposed to catapult the Spurs to 1st in the West or something? It's not like the Spurs got LeBron James in the offseason. This article is ridiculous. Sure, RJeff took some time to adjust but he has found his role with SAS now.
BoonyPC
Junior
And1: 21

Post#17 » by BoonyPC » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Biggest dissapointment for me was that thug Amare pushing Bogut in the back and making him fall awkwardly, putting him out for the rest of the season.*

Now rather than seeing a Bucks team that was one of the hottest in the league and playing some great basketball at times against either Hawks/Celtics in the playoffs and having a good chance at taking them out I can watch a team that might win 1 or 2 against the Hawks if they play good. That really killed my enjoyment of the year unfortunately. Give me some good playoff games/series to pull me out of the slump.

*Just making things a bit more dramatic, I don't really believe this
SpursDynasty4
Banned User

Post#18 » by SpursDynasty4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Has any team lost as a #1 seed and #2 seed in the first round within 4 years?
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#19 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:13 pm

Uh, weren't the Mavs a top seed when they lost to Golden State.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
SpursDynasty4
Banned User

Post#20 » by SpursDynasty4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:16 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:Uh, weren't the Mavs a top seed when they lost to Golden State.

that's why I am asking...if they somehow blow the series vs. the Spurs as a #2 seed, would they be the first team in history to lose as #1 and #2 in a span of 4 years?

Return to The General Board