TNT has most viewed NBA season since '96 4 2nd straight year

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

xxRoyalexx
Rookie
And1: 128

TNT has most viewed NBA season since '96 4 2nd straight year 

Post#1 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Thursday, April 15, 2010
TNT Has Most-Viewed NBA Season Since 1995-96 (For Second Straight Year)

For the second straight season, viewership for regular season NBA games on TNT rose to the highest level since Michael Jordan's heyday.

TNT averaged a 1.1 U.S. rating and 1.7 million viewers for NBA coverage during the 2009-10 season, virtually even in ratings (1.14 to 1.13) and viewership (1.723 mil to 1.711 mil) compared to last season, and even in ratings and up 15% in viewership from 2007-08 (1.1, 1.5 mil).

Though essentially on par with last year's numbers, this marks the most-viewed NBA regular season on any cable network since 1995-96 in households (1.3 mil), total viewers (1.7 mil) and adults 18-34 (544,000).

This is the second-straight year that TNT has had its most-viewed NBA season since '96.

TNT's top game of the season was Celtics/Cavaliers on Opening Night, which drew a 2.6 U.S. rating and 4.0 million viewers.

(Turner Sports)

On top of that last time I checked ABC's ratings this year were higher than last years or even. ESPN's I know for a fact were a little lower but still pretty solid.

I posted this for 2 reasons..

1.) Congrats to the NBA for a well watched season.

2.) MLB Ratings are on a serious decline. The NBA has consistently done better ratings wise in every field. The Magic-Lakers Finals and Celtic-Lakers Finals both achieved higher ratings than the 2008 World Series. The only reason the '09 one was more watched was because the Yankees were involved. The NBA is hitting another "golden age." Does this mean that we finally see it take the rightful spot of 2nd place in America? Only behind the NFL of course...
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Re: TNT has most viewed NBA season since '96 4 2nd straight year 

Post#2 » by illiance » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm

This is awesome. I'm a huge NBA fan and I'm happy they are starting to make a small push back to the #2 sport in America (no I'm not counting UFC). TNT's coverage has been terrific besides Reggie Miller so it's well deserved.
xxRoyalexx
Rookie

Post#3 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:00 pm

illiance wrote:This is awesome. I'm a huge NBA fan and I'm happy they are starting to make a small push back to the #2 sport in America (no I'm not counting UFC). TNT's coverage has been terrific besides Reggie Miller so it's well deserved.

Highly agreed. I'd love to see the NBA work it's way back to the Number 2 sport in America, and according to recent statistics it will do just that. :D
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,558

Post#4 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

There is a lot more to popularity than national tv ratings. MLB makes FAR more money than the NBA.
yanggu0
Junior
And1: 2

Post#5 » by yanggu0 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:11 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:There is a lot more to popularity than national tv ratings. MLB makes FAR more money than the NBA.

The MLB did have a huge head start. Give it some time.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#6 » by Benedict_Boozer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:13 pm

illiance wrote:This is awesome. I'm a huge NBA fan and I'm happy they are starting to make a small push back to the #2 sport in America (no I'm not counting UFC). TNT's coverage has been terrific besides Reggie Miller so it's well deserved.

Well said. Outside of Reggie Miller (and his sister) TNT's coverage is excellent.
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Post#7 » by illiance » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:20 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:There is a lot more to popularity than national tv ratings. MLB makes FAR more money than the NBA.

The stadiums are bigger and the schedule is almost double the amount of games, so that's not a fair comparison.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#8 » by triplet1984 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Just in time for a lockout to ruin the progress the league has made! :o
xxRoyalexx
Rookie

Post#9 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 pm

Da-Met wrote:Just in time for a lockout to ruin the progress the league has made! :o

The lockout is a myth. Won't happen, I can assure you.
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 899

Post#10 » by mattyBoi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 pm

I have viewed Basketball as the 2nd biggest for a while now. Plus it only continues to grow around the world, other countries have really embraced basketball.
Puertorique
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Puertorique » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:17 pm

Baseball will continue to top the NBA for a while. Especially with a NBA lockout possibly happening. Also baseballs biggest ratings usually come after the all-star break.
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#12 » by Puertorique » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:22 pm

mattyBoi wrote:I have viewed Basketball as the 2nd biggest for a while now. Plus it only continues to grow around the world, other countries have really embraced basketball.

If ESPN was to do a American poll Basketball would rank about 3rd, Behind Football and Baseball. If they were to do a world wide poll, it would be like 4th behind Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, it may possibly be behind Rugby.

I love basketball, but some sports just are bigger then it.
xxRoyalexx
Rookie

Post#13 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Puertorique wrote:
mattyBoi wrote:I have viewed Basketball as the 2nd biggest for a while now. Plus it only continues to grow around the world, other countries have really embraced basketball.

If ESPN was to do a American poll Basketball would rank about 3rd, Behind Football and Baseball. If they were to do a world wide poll, it would be like 4th behind Soccer, Baseball, Hockey, it may possibly be behind Rugby.

ACTUALLY, according to recent statistics, worldwide Basketball is the 3rd most popular TEAM sport only behind Cricket and Soccer. Cricket's popularity is boosted by it's massive fanbase in India and Basketball's popularity is boosted by China. In case you didn't notice, India and China have the 2 highest populations in the world.

Hockey is actually very low on that list, and I believe Baseball is in 4th or 5th position.

Puertorique wrote:Baseball will continue to top the NBA for a while. Especially with a NBA lockout possibly happening. Also baseballs biggest ratings usually come after the all-star break.

The MLB hit an all time low for regular season ratings last year and it's on pace to finish around the same mark this year....
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#14 » by andrewww » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Puertorique wrote:

in terms of team sports, only futbol or soccer as north americans call it is ahead of basketball worldwide.

hockey and baseball are very regionalized sports.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#15 » by hsb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:02 pm

What's weird is the amount of games on ABC. The regular season already took a hit on broadcast television. But I read awhile back that ABC is airing 9 playoff games before the finals, compared to 31 during the last year of the NBC deal.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
xxRoyalexx
Rookie

Post#16 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm

hsb wrote:What's weird is the amount of games on ABC. The regular season already took a hit on broadcast television. But I read awhile back that ABC is airing 9 playoff games before the finals, compared to 31 during the last year of the NBC deal.

ABC has basically certified themselves as a Weekend only Broadcaster. The NBA gets it's most viewers on Sundays, which is when ABC shows games, so I guess they're going to keep that trend going during the Post Season as well. The only exception to this rule is during the Finals. When the Finals are on ABC will televise games during the regular week as well.

But we have ESPN, NBA TV and TNT for Playoff games during the regular week anyways so it's all good.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#17 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:23 pm

There hasnt been a lock out since 99. That helps.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#18 » by Puertorique » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 pm

andrewww wrote:
Puertorique wrote:

in terms of team sports, only futbol or soccer as north americans call it is ahead of basketball worldwide.

hockey and baseball are very regionalized sports.

Baseball is huge in the Caribbean, Central and South America. It is true though that I did not take into account India's population, and basketball is more popular than baseball there so I can see it taking a drop in that regard.
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#19 » by Puertorique » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:29 pm

^ sorry meant to quote Royal on that last post I made.
xxRoyalexx
Rookie

Post#20 » by xxRoyalexx » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Puertorique wrote:Baseball is huge in the Caribbean, Central and South America. It is true though that I did not take into account India's population, and basketball is more popular than baseball there so I can see it taking a drop in that regard.

A survey was taken recently and Basketball has approximately 350-400 million fans/participants (people who play regularly) in China alone, I hope you're aware of that. That's more than the United State's entire population.

So...if you take into account the amount of fans the sport of Basketball has in China alone, PLUS the rest of the world, it's safe to say that it's pretty hard to find many other Team Sports out there that're more popular. Like I said previously only Soccer and Cricket are more popular worldwide. Cricket because they have a HUGE fanbase in India, which like China, has a very large population.

Return to The General Board