[ESPN] McGrady says retirement a possibility

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Re: [ESPN] McGrady says retirement a possibility 

Post#21 » by Joseph17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:04 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:He's done. He has never been a good shooter and his athleticism is not coming back. It has been almost 15 months since micro-fracture surgery and he has no explosion. He never improved his outside shooting enough to be relevant as he aged, that is the difference between he and Kobe. T-Mac should be the cautionary tale for Lebron on what will happen when he gets older if he doesn't develop a post game or become an above average outside shooter. It was funny to watch him play this season because you would watch him just hold the ball and do nothing productive with it. I think he shot like 20% from 3 point range this season and the only time he would score is when opposing teams would have a tiny guard cover him.

and how did Houston get such a great deal? They traded a very good low post player and a huge expiring contract for 1 draft pick, the right to swap picks, a useless/overpaid player, a young big with bad hands, and an extremely efficient scorer on a terrible long term deal for such an injury prone player. The ONLY way the trade was a steal for Houston is if they can pull off a S&T for Bosh this summer or if the Knicks completely bomb this summer and give the Rockets a lottery pick.

T-Mac used to be a great shooter in his prime. Prime T-Mac is probably a better shooter than Kobe now. Lebron is also an above outside shooter.
papfankon
Pro Prospect
And1: 61

Post#22 » by papfankon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:37 am

Lebron is an awful 3 point shooter and kobe is an average one.Stats go a up quite bit for them regarding the midrange, ofcourse..Tmac was way better in that area.Despite his other faults,he could definitely shoot.Espn doing wonders on your minds,people.
borisadmin
Junior
And1: 3

Post#23 » by borisadmin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:17 am

I think the bigger issue is that T-Mac seems quite delusional about the state of his body and his skills. He does actually have something in the tank, but he seems to flip day by day about whether he thinks he should be playing 43 minutes as a starter or sitting out entirely.
Hobo4President
Analyst
And1: 3,193

Post#24 » by Hobo4President » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 pm

I really liked prime T-Mac, if he retires its his choice but I would like to see him attempt to join a bench on a championship team and not expect to be the main guy.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#25 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:18 pm

sule wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:. I think he shot like 20% from 3 point range this season

he shot .333 this season

he shot 25% from 3 point range this season. I don't know where you got your number from. And McGrady was never a great 3 point shooter, and Lebron is definitely not above average at 3 point range.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#26 » by Sn0wman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

coolstorybro wrote:
shaqfan1 wrote:
Bomb_First wrote:Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.
Samuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Samuel » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:23 pm

It feels good to be in the Hall of Fame
- Tracy McGrady

:D
DumbyTheWizard
Starter
And1: 58

Post#28 » by DumbyTheWizard » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Mac says thats bs.

From his website (http://t-mac.com/tmac/index):

"Hey everyone,

Our season ended yesterday and now its time for a small break to rest up before I get back to rehab and training. I’m going to work hard all summer long getting ready for next season. I saw a report this morning that I was going to retire, and let me set record straight, I am not retiring. I’ve got more game in me, and you’ll see it on the court next year. Thanks to all my fans for all your support. No matter where I end up next season, I’ll be ready!

Mac
"
Kobe>Jordan>God wrote:I'm starting to suspect that Rivers isn't even a real doctor.
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#29 » by KnicksScholar24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:30 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:He's done. He has never been a good shooter and his athleticism is not coming back.

McGrady has never been a good shooter? Are you serious? Right now he doesn't get the same lift on his jumper because his knees/legs are done, and he'll likely have to alter his jumper to make up for the lack of lift, but in his prime he was a hell of a shooter and scorer. He wasn't just a slasher. He would light teams up from 3-point range. Anyway...

As for the Walsh/Morey trade, Morey did bamboozle Walsh. If the only mindset/objective for Walsh was to get rid of Jeffries' contract, I'm sure he could have found a smaller deal, and given up much less. For example, Jared Jeffries for Etan Thomas and 'a 2010 swap option' or 'a couple second round picks + cash'. Walsh would have been able to keep his 2012 pick and Jordan Hill (8th overall pick). Walsh seem to have gotten desperate and believed McGrady could actually help his team this season and in following years. The trade reeks of NY's Steve Francis/Trevor Ariza deal, but with more draft picks. In the off-season Walsh went after Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, and thought about Allen Iverson (before Dolan vetoed it), so it's no surprise he went after McGrady. Walsh is basically stuck in the year 2000, and is very close to retirement. It's far less about Morey being a genius, and far more about Walsh living in the past (the year 2000 to be exact) and operating out of desperation. Morey was just wise to keep McGrady off-the-court before the deal.

(Frankly, if I was the GM would have given up a first round pick ONLY if a team was willing to take Curry instead of Jeffries.)
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#30 » by KnicksScholar24 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:33 pm

DumbyTheWizard wrote:Mac says thats bs.

From his website (http://t-mac.com/tmac/index):

"Hey everyone,

Our season ended yesterday and now its time for a small break to rest up before I get back to rehab and training. I’m going to work hard all summer long getting ready for next season. I saw a report this morning that I was going to retire, and let me set record straight, I am not retiring. I’ve got more game in me, and you’ll see it on the court next year. Thanks to all my fans for all your support. No matter where I end up next season, I’ll be ready!

Mac
"

So was the writer making up false quotes? I think McGrady doesn't want to hurt his ability to get another contract so he's trying to make people believe that he'll work hard in the off-season and be back to normal. If nearly 2 years of rest didn't heal him enough to play 24 games, then he's not going to be able to make a come back. Then you have his back issue.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#31 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 pm

ya to the poster he says tmac was never a great shooter, ur crazy!!! tmac was one of the top shooters in the league for a few years. streaky? yes. but this man could catch fire at any time.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#32 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:34 pm

hate to break it to you guys, but streaky shooters aren't great shooters. That is the difference between a guy like Dirk and Nash who are consistently hot, and someone like James or McGrady that can get hot for stretches at a time.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
dontlike2post
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#33 » by dontlike2post » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:48 pm

damn. why do you guys hate tmac so much? sure he's **** now, but why the bitterness?
Kariya
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#34 » by Kariya » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:52 pm

dontlike2post wrote:damn. why do you guys hate tmac so much? sure he's **** now, but why the bitterness?

he spews far to much bs.

he's left 3 teams on bad terms. don't think it's a coincidence
Before I walked through life, now I frolic.
juice4080
Sixth Man
And1: 513

Post#35 » by juice4080 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 pm

tmac wasn't a pure shooter but he had unlimited range and his motion was effortless
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#36 » by TMU » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Kariya wrote:
dontlike2post wrote:damn. why do you guys hate tmac so much? sure he's **** now, but why the bitterness?

he spews far to much bs.

he's left 3 teams on bad terms. don't think it's a coincidence

Yes, he does talk a lot and makes himself like a fool.

But how did he leave Toronto in bad terms? Because he wanted to capitalize on his talent and show the world that he's a premier athlete?

Return to The General Board