Jeremy Lin signs with Golden State (Page 26)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Warriors sign Jeremy Lin 

Post#501 » by NOODLESTYLE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:41 pm

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... y-to-play/

There were more cameras and reporters and the whole shebang for Jeremy Lin’s introduction at the Warriors’ facility today than at any Warriors event since… umm… probably Media Day last October.

And if I subtract any event that did not include free food, then I’d say this was the biggest gathering of assorted media since Don Nelson’s hiring in August 2006.

There were probably five times more media representatives at W’s HQ today than were on draft night, when they picked 6th overall.

Pretty powerful showing for an undrafted point guard from Harvard. But obviously, Lin’’s from Palo Alto High, and he’s also Asian-American, in a market that is rumored to have a few Asian-Americans walking around and buying tickets and clicking on stories and blogging and etc.

Overall, Lin was poised, confident, and, as usual, not particularly in love with speaking as a role model for the Asian-American culture–which, believe me, I understand.

He just wants to play ball.
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Re: Jeremy Lin should make the NBA 

Post#502 » by hayden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 am

azuresou1 wrote:
hayden wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:You don't know that Lin identifies more with Taiwanese culture. He's never said anything about Taiwan or China, that's all speculation.

It's absurd that you think Chinese-Americans are 'commies' because we take pride in our nation, if not the government, or that we are somehow a proxy for the CCCP's policies and beliefs because we realize that 'Taiwanese-American' makes as much sense as calling someone a "South-Korean-American" or a "Northern-Irish-American."

Educate yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_American

Demographic research tends to include immigrants from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan as well as overseas Chinese who have immigrated from South East Asia into the broadly-defined Chinese American category as both the governments of the Republic of China (as ethnic Chinese, not Chinese that alludes to the statehood of China) and the United States account for Taiwanese Americans as a subgroup of Chinese Americans.[3][4][5]

But hey, I don't know what I'm talking about because I'm a commie, right? SMFH at this kid.

haha, thanks, that's exactly what I understand Taiwanese American as. A more specific classification of Chinese American. But this also corrects your statement that the label "Taiwanese-American" makes no sense, as it obviously does. Glad you have come to your senses. :lol:

Was that commie jab even directed at you? I don't remember. But don't take it personally, although it seems to have struck a nerve... it was , after all, just a jab (and to illustrate the difference in governance between China and Taiwan). I don't really care what you are, are what you call yourself. Just mind your own business when other people talk about who they are and what they want to represent.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#503 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:02 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... eague-well

Every once in awhile, someone with even longer odds gets there and makes a believer out of you all over again.

"I feel like an Asian from Harvard… if you think about that, you're not going to think, 'Oh, a player in the NBA.' I understand that. That's just the way it is," Lin told reporters.

"There haven't been that many Asian-Americans. There haven't been that many Ivy Leaguers. So… I understand that. But I'm hoping I'm breaking the stereotypes."
SoulJah
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#504 » by SoulJah » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:07 am

this guy looked like a real deal in summer league... can be a steal of this offseason.
thefranchise03
Junior
And1: 43

Post#505 » by thefranchise03 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 am

Future all-star in the making.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#506 » by azuresou1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:41 am

You and shortfuse were the ones not minding their own business by throwing a fit over people calling Jeremy Lin Chinese-American. Which he is. Jeremy Lin is 100% Chinese American.

You keep saying that he refers to himself as Taiwanese-American, when he hasn't. Unless you can point out otherwise, he has never once called himself Taiwanese-American in any media source that I could find. Who are you to speak for him?
DanHibiki
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#507 » by DanHibiki » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 am

yay! Nelson has another young guard he can destroy!
ylvn8
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#508 » by ylvn8 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:34 am

This is not making sense, hayden. If you acknowledge that "Taiwanese American is a more specific classification of Chinese American", then what is your point again? Why in the world are you so sensitive and feeling so obliged to correct those people who call him a Chinese American, which by your own words, is absolutely correct? :crazy:
Kariya
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#509 » by Kariya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:40 am

hayden... who cares? does this really mean THAT much too you?
Before I walked through life, now I frolic.
hayden
Veteran

Post#510 » by hayden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:31 am

ylvn8 wrote:This is not making sense, hayden. If you acknowledge that "Taiwanese American is a more specific classification of Chinese American", then what is your point again? Why in the world are you so sensitive and feeling so obliged to correct those people who call him a Chinese American, which by your own words, is absolutely correct? :crazy:

My point is that your Taiwanese association/ancestry is not erased just because you weren't born there. Because if so, there is no such thing as a 2nd and 3rd generation Taiwanese American, when clearly such definitions exists.

I can't expect people who are not Taiwanese/Chinese to care, as this is something that sits outside of their pragmatic existence. They don't have to deal with or ever really think about it. And as such, I apologize for carrying on at length about it, albeit, I am not doing this single-handedly as there are a couple of posters who disagree just as strongly. However, this is strong point of contention and debate within the Taiwanese/Chinese community and I feel an obligation to stand up for Taiwan since, unlike China, Japan and Korea (and even the smaller countries in South East Asia), Taiwan is misrepresented, and basically, not ever heard about. A lot of it is because it gets lumped with China, but also because, it is by comparison, a young nation. But the fact is, it is a wholly independent government and people from mainland China and has its own history. And just like the French with Canada, the English with the United States and the Spaniards with Mexico, in time, people will want their own separate identity and we are witnessing it happen already. It is only human nature to do so.

Anyhow, I stopped talking about this subject a few days ago but NOODLESTYLE kept digging up my old posts and this new kid won't mind his own business. But yeah, I'll keep it cool from here on out.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#511 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:41 am

hayden wrote:
Anyhow, I stopped talking about this subject a few days ago but NOODLESTYLE kept digging up my old posts and this new kid won't mind his own business. But yeah, I'll keep it cool from here on out.

LOL you were the one who posted the PSA video. Kept digging up your old posts? :lol: :roll:

The majority of your comments in this thread had nothing to do with Jeremy Lin and basketball. It was about you crying about "Taiwanese".
Kariya
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#512 » by Kariya » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:42 am

hayden, do not respond to the post above.
Before I walked through life, now I frolic.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#513 » by darth_federer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:48 am

mid-post wrote:IBTL

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
hayden
Veteran

Post#514 » by hayden » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:57 am

Kariya wrote:hayden, do not respond to the post above.

ok ok :D

Anyway, back to Lin. Saw this interview taken earlier this year in his Harvard dorm room, haha. Gotta make you smile to hear him talk about his dream about playing in the NBA, and more specifically the Warriors:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwrLSxCVbU[/youtube]
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#515 » by Lakers05 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:22 am

Well, from what I've seen, Taiwanese girls are more beautiful "per thousand" than Chinese girls, so if the Taiwanese want to consider themselves separate from the Chinese, then that's good enough by me. Incidentally, I think the differences in economy, specifically the GDP per capita, does play a factor in that. I think diet(and no, the Asian diet is not good either, the eyes cannot "open up" without protein) and the sun also play a factor, but alas, not enough people will listen, and thus my world filled with cute and beautiful women will never be realized :cry:

I understand you're being humorous but this post could be construed as racist; please avoid generalizations about ethnicity or national origin.

Miklo
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#516 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5NIdiwR6CE[/youtube]
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#517 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:20 pm

He's 6'3 rright? SWEEET!!! Don Nelson has found his future starting C
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#518 » by azuresou1 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 pm

Lakers05 wrote:Well, from what I've seen, Taiwanese girls are more beautiful "per thousand" than Chinese girls, so if the Taiwanese want to consider themselves separate from the Chinese, then that's good enough by me. Incidentally, I think the differences in economy, specifically the GDP per capita, does play a factor in that. I think diet(and no, the Asian diet is not good either, the eyes cannot "open up" without protein) and the sun also play a factor, but alas, not enough people will listen, and thus my world filled with cute and beautiful women will never be realized :cry:

Aren't you the guy who says that Jordan is 6th on your GOAT list?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1038727&start=30

Yes, yes you are.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,835

Post#519 » by Sofia » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 pm

The next Anthony Randolph?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
theDEATH
Senior
And1: 5

Re: Jeremy Lin signs with Golden State (Page 26) 

Post#520 » by theDEATH » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:59 pm

Why's this scrub have a 40 page thread about him?

Return to The General Board