Winners in high school, college

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

kd35sneighbor
RealGM
And1: 86

Re: Winners in high school, college 

Post#21 » by kd35sneighbor » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:44 am

Most of those guys didn't lead their teams to the championship game... I'm talking specifically players that led their teams. Not ones who were just an integral piece.
Runnin' these Oklahoma streets. Follow me on Twitter @kd35sneighbor!
Imadogg
Banned User
And1: 250

Post#22 » by Imadogg » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:20 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:Most of those guys didn't lead their teams to the championship game... I'm talking specifically players that led their teams. Not ones who were just an integral piece.

If most of those guys didn't help lead their college teams to the championship game, who did? Some teammate of their's that didn't make it to the NBA?

In your opening post you talk about the successful guys, but you forgot about the many many guys who lead their teams to the title in college who simply aren't good enough for the pros (or at least to be stars in the pros).

Christian Laettner wasn't really all that in the pros
HumphreyBogart
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by HumphreyBogart » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:37 am

John Wall's high school team sucked.
Scuall
Sixth Man
And1: 2,763

Post#24 » by Scuall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:...Jordan did this. ... Tim Duncan as well? (Btw how was Duncan hyped to be #1 pick in the draft? What wow'ed NBA teams about him? I'm sure it wasn't his athleticism)

Jordan hit the winning shot in the '82 Championship, but that team was lead by James Worthy (who also received the MOP for the tourney). Poor Fred Brown...

Obviously you're not old enough to have seen Duncan play in college. That Childress/Duncan team was amazing. Duncan may have been the top pick if he came out after his soph season. The astonishing thing wasn't that he was drafted #1, but that he actually stayed all four years in college.

Speaking of Randolph Childress, he still has my favorite crossover of all time, destroying Jeff McInnis. The point, the three pointer, just nasty;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo[/youtube]

kd35sneighbor wrote:To find the next certain great one, won't we know it if a player is a winner before he came to the NBA?

Not necessarily. Not with so many opting early for the NBA or a professional league elsewhere.
High0ctane21
Lead Assistant
And1: 538

Post#25 » by High0ctane21 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:29 am

kd35sneighbor wrote:What I'm saying is... guys who led their teams to championships in high school, college most likely will succeed in the NBA. I think Deron Williams also won?

Deron Williams and my Illini lost in the finals game to UNC. Derrick Rose won a state championship in HS, and then got to the NCAA championship.
ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#26 » by ISB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 am

TJ Ford went 75-1 in HS and won two Texas state championships. He then won NCAA player of the year and led Texas to its first final four since 1947. That didn't translate into immense NBA success though.
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 683

Post#27 » by LukaMagic » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 pm

dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#28 » by dznutzz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:31 pm

the nba is another level. winning in highschool/college doesn't mean squat other than your team is stacked. once you get to the pros every top college/high school recruit is there. also better coaching, trainers, million dollar facilities, and better hoochies

great players win at the highest level... not at the lower levels

Return to The General Board