MJ Contemplating a Return to the NBA at 50....

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Raps_CB4
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: MJ Contemplating a Return to the NBA at 50.... 

Post#121 » by Raps_CB4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:15 am

LCMJ wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXOM6pQxk68[/youtube]

Logged in just to say this video gave me goosebumps. Great job.
Al_Bundy
Banned User

Post#122 » by Al_Bundy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3et6qAsOxo[/youtube]
Barstool Blues
Banned User

Post#123 » by Barstool Blues » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 am

ccvle wrote:
Day in the Life wrote:Lol, it was embarrassing enough 10 years ago.

how?

how not? He wasn't really any good. His efficiency was crap in both the seasons he played on the Wizards...he was averaging 22.1 shots to average 22.9 pts and 18.6 shots to average 20 pts...that is frankly...really, really bad...thats antoine walker bad.
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#124 » by BULLZ1LLA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:01 am

Barstool Blues wrote:
ccvle wrote:
Day in the Life wrote:Lol, it was embarrassing enough 10 years ago.

how?

how not? He wasn't really any good. His efficiency was crap in both the seasons he played on the Wizards...he was averaging 22.1 shots to average 22.9 pts and 18.6 shots to average 20 pts...that is frankly...really, really bad...thats antoine walker bad.

You got to be kidding me......oldest player ever to score 50 (51 points), then a day later scored 45 points (and near triple-double) vs East-leading New Jersey Nets, and beat West-leading Kings at Sacramento on the way to a 26-21 record (with less talent than the Cavs) before tendinitis forced him out. Made 3 game-winning shots (@NY, @CLE, @PHO). Led the league in 40-point games. And this was all in a tendinitis-plagued 60 game season! Then played all 82 games (and 37.1mpg) for 20ppg 45%fg 6.1rpg 1.5spg. What more do you want from a 40-year-old shooting guard? Probably the most incredible thing I've seen in sport, definitely more amazing than the 6 rings.
Jordan23Forever
General Manager
And1: 54

Post#125 » by Jordan23Forever » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:42 am

HomoSapien wrote:
LCMJ wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXOM6pQxk68[/youtube]

Just wanted to make sure this video gets the props it deserves. It's straight up sick.

It says the video is private; I can't view it - what is it a video of?
OscarMayer
Rookie
And1: 10

Post#126 » by OscarMayer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 pm

RutgersBJJ wrote:What a coincidence, because in 2 years Kobe will have 7 rings.

Horry has 7 rings, and nobody compare him with MJ. Chucker Bryant is the same thing.
BULLZ1LLA
Rookie

Post#127 » by BULLZ1LLA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:12 pm

OscarMayer wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:What a coincidence, because in 2 years Kobe will have 7 rings.

Horry has 7 rings, and nobody compare him with MJ. Chucker Bryant is the same thing.

I agree, in terms of individual greatness its more about Finals MVPs than rings. Even then its a bit dubious because of teams sharing the wealth a lot, but still I think Finals MVPs are a better guide than rings.
Mattsanity
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Post#128 » by Mattsanity » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

mike shouldve been in the hall of fame in 2004, nuff said
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#129 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:27 pm

Here's the video again. I don't think this one is private:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZXvNrA7cs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,386

Post#130 » by Pablo Escobar » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:37 pm

lol he would be a scrub if he came back someone said he would avg 10-18 ppg gtfo lool
Plata o Plomo?
Citadel
Ballboy

Post#131 » by Citadel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:39 pm

It's hard to remember him fondly with those fans of his. Christ.
XonezIOIzenoX
Senior
And1: 44

Post#132 » by XonezIOIzenoX » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:40 pm

See how vince is playing, kinda slow, and loss his step. Well, Jordan will be playing like vince is playing now. 8-)
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#133 » by HomoSapien » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 pm

If he can play like Vince is playing now, then he should definitely come out of retirement.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#134 » by JordansBulls » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:02 pm

HomoSapien wrote:If he can play like Vince is playing now, then he should definitely come out of retirement.

Hell no he shouldn't. Why the hell for? Especially considering he was getting injured when 39 and 40. Imagine him now? He would certainly get injured at his age. This isn't hockey where you are just skating on ice.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
AlphaWolfAWBA
Senior
And1: 3

Post#135 » by AlphaWolfAWBA » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:20 pm

CjayC wrote:As a bulls fan I don't want him to do this. His PPG average is #1 as well as a few other averages of his and it'll drop if he comes back.

MJ is such a competitor though. This is probably the best era of basketball in a while, so I guess he just can't resist.

really......."stats" is the reason you don't want to see Jordan play?

come back MJ...who cares about the stats.....show the younger generation that stats are not what wins games.
a proud servant of Lord GawdBE

]
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#136 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:23 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Here's the video again. I don't think this one is private:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqZXvNrA7cs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

I don't for a second think he's coming back. But that video really made me miss watching him.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#137 » by INKtastic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:46 pm

RHBullsFan wrote:does anyone else find it hilarious that the NBA even has the rule that disallows majority owners from playing on their teams? What are they expecting, that a bunch of elderly rich guys would buy a team just to get the chance to play in the NBA??? Maybe if this rule didn't exist, we could see Mark Cuban playing in the starting line-up for the Mavs.
I think if I was rich enough to own a team, I would hate this rule. That would be the ultimate pick-up game, running with NBA pros in a real game.

I think the intent of the rule was so minority ownership in a team couldn't be used to get players. The league could change the rule so it only applies to minority owners or eliminate it all together.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#138 » by No Offense » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:52 pm

INKtastic wrote:
RHBullsFan wrote:does anyone else find it hilarious that the NBA even has the rule that disallows majority owners from playing on their teams? What are they expecting, that a bunch of elderly rich guys would buy a team just to get the chance to play in the NBA??? Maybe if this rule didn't exist, we could see Mark Cuban playing in the starting line-up for the Mavs.
I think if I was rich enough to own a team, I would hate this rule. That would be the ultimate pick-up game, running with NBA pros in a real game.

I think the intent of the rule was so minority ownership in a team couldn't be used to get players. The league could change the rule so it only applies to minority owners or eliminate it all together.

Agreed. That's to prevent (for example) Dan Gilbert offering part ownership to LeBron James.
Falcon63
Ballboy

Post#139 » by Falcon63 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:

I don't for a second think he's coming back. But that video really made me miss watching him.

Yeah, he's a once-in-a-lifetime player. No athlete in any sports will EVER make the impact he has. Whether you're a Bulls fan or not, everyone knows and respects Jordan. I would literally kill to watch him in person, whether he's 50 or not.
actrived
Senior
And1: 9

Post#140 » by actrived » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 pm

After watching this I broke out my "Ultimate Jordan" dvd set and started watching. I should be studying, but the man is just so damn inspiring.

Oh yes, and in response to the poster who said jordan embarrassed himself, watch the games he played. Someone said earlier that every player wanted a piece of him and he/she is absolutely correct. All of the young guns, the Kobe's and AI's and so forth, all wanted to be able to say, "Man, I crossed up Michael Jordan" or "Did you see me steal it from MJ?".

He was slow, he was stubborn and he took a lot of shots. Yet he still averaged over a steal a game, 20 pts, 5 assists, and 5 boards ('01-02 season). His intangible effect was immeasurable and I don't doubt that if he came back, all of the players would want a piece of him again. Though this time I hardly believe he could be even a fraction of his 90's self. He would be ridiculously slow, constantly winded and likely be an awful defender because of this. His instincts and knowledge of the passing lanes allowed him to get steals in the early 2000's, but I doubt he has the quick hands to get steals now.
"Being good is good, that'll get you Drew Gooden. But me I want Jordan numbers, [DRose] footin'. Can't guard me, Vince Lombardi, John Wooden."

Return to The General Board