Should the NBA followed MLB's model and have only four teams

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

IllinoisReppa20
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Should the NBA followed MLB's model and have only four teams 

Post#21 » by IllinoisReppa20 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 pm

actually if they just did the top 16 teams, it would be a little better seeing that lower teams in the west could actually challenge
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,479

Post#22 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:30 pm

It could work. This is the only sport where upsets can't happen. The 5-8 seeds are only there to extend the inevitable and to earn the league more revenue.
HB2
Pro Prospect
And1: 93

Post#23 » by HB2 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Horrible idea:
1) You would never see Dallas vs Goldenstate;
2) With West having 6-7 teams with 50+ wins like couple years ago and 1st and 6th place separated by some 4 wins it would be horrible if the team that has a legit chance to win the ring wouldn't even be in the play-offs because their leader was injured 5 games more than leaders of other teams;
3) It is bad as it is in the end of the year when 10 teams are tanking as hard as they can; I have no interest watching 22 teams tanking - I better enjoy dog fight for the last 2 spots in West between 5 teams;
4) Fix the sucking east which is the problem not the play-off format, e.g. allow west 9-12th place to take 5-8 in the East if they have better record than the East teams, if these teams are sub 0.500.

As for examples, 1978 Warriors, Warriors vs Dallas (they almost beat Utah in second round), 6th seeded Houston winning championship in Mike's absence, etc.
koko wrote:
YFZblu wrote:
koko wrote:I want to F Navarro. Do him some nasty things.

:o

Watchin him play makes me horny. Deal with it, i did.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#24 » by Cliff Levingston » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm

What they should do is expand the league by a couple teams then put everyone in the playoffs to compete with March Madness. How awesome would that be? Boston vs. an expansion team in round 1? Miami vs. Cleveland in round 1. The awesome 8/9 matchup of Philly/Indiana in the East.

Stern; get it done!
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#25 » by AQuintus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:53 pm

They should do the opposite; have everyone in the playoffs and do a single elimination tournament with seeding determined by record.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#26 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm

This is a horrible idea. Obvious the profits are the reason why it never would change, but I think a few things are important

1. More teams in the playoffs allows teams to deal with an occasional injury or two and not panic
2. This keeps more teams in the race. While we all say "no one has a shot at winning the title", the same could be said about the NCAA tourney too. But maybe a 6 seed doesn't win the title but they win a playoff series, isn't that a good thing for their fans? Bulls fans were never happier than the off-season of 07 since Jordan left and it's because the Bulls won a playoff series against defending champion Miami and they played well against Detroit. So no, the Bulls were never a title contender, but that didn't stop fans from getting excited about the team.
3. Right now 19 teams are within 3 games of a playoff spot (Houston and Golden State are 5.5 back). That's over half the leagues fan bases that are hoping to just get in. Compare that with only 10 teams that are within 3 games of the playoffs if only 1-4 get in.

I think the great compromise is six teams make it, 1-2 get byes, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 in a best of five series that lasts seven days (game, game, travel, game, game, travel, game) and would really incentive teams to get a top seed. Currently, 17 teams are within three games of the sixth seed in their conference. And then you have more upsets for teams 5 and 6 as depth and match-ups are heightened with the short schedule. I also think this is what baseball should do (where the extra games for teams 3-6 is huge because of rotation setup, bullpen and player fatigue, etc).
CoffeeJanitor
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#27 » by CoffeeJanitor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

All of these people mentioning upsets are missing the point. The upsetting team never actually does anything in the playoffs!!!

Why do people so fervently defend this league?
*Kebo 4 MVP*
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#28 » by Kobay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 pm

They need to dissolve the conferences system to make the bottom feeders compete.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#29 » by jefe » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

CoffeeJanitor wrote:All of these people mentioning upsets are missing the point. The upsetting team never actually does anything in the playoffs!!!

1999 Knicks made it to the Finals, just sayin.
Soap345
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#30 » by Soap345 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm

CoffeeJanitor wrote:All of these people mentioning upsets are missing the point. The upsetting team never actually does anything in the playoffs!!!

95 Rockets
SaveOurBullets
Rookie
And1: 103

Post#31 » by SaveOurBullets » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 am

Bunzilla wrote:The MLB playoffs were/are the most predictable playoffs in the North American sports. Don't get that point.

That is the complete opposite of the truth. The Giants and Rangers were arguably the two worst teams heading into the playoffs.

But yeah, the NBA is way too predictable. The fact that you can pretty much pinpoint exactly how Atlanta's regular season and postseason will turn out is not good for the league. And you can pretty much do that for every team.
^I agree
SauceOnRice
Senior
And1: 32

Post#32 » by SauceOnRice » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 am

Anyone open to the NFL playoff format?
The tank keeps on rolling...
CoffeeJanitor
Rookie

Post#33 » by CoffeeJanitor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:11 am

MrHalfwaythere wrote:Anyone open to the NFL playoff format?
Isn't it pretty much the same as the MLB? They both have wildcard rounds.

In a perfect world we would have a 5-5-7 setup for series. I cannot wait for Stern to resign. Maybe someone legit will take over.
*Kebo 4 MVP*
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#34 » by darth_federer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 am

Stern is one of the best commissioners ever and I say this as a Raptors fan.

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
SauceOnRice
Senior
And1: 32

Post#35 » by SauceOnRice » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:16 am

CoffeeJanitor wrote:
Isn't it pretty much the same as the MLB? They both have wildcard rounds.

In a perfect world we would have a 5-5-7 setup for series. I cannot wait for Stern to resign. Maybe someone legit will take over.

Top 2 seeds in each conference get a bye to the second round. 3 seed will face the 6 seed and 4 seed will face the 5 seed in a five game series. then the winner of the 3 6 matchup will face the #1 seed in a 5 game series and the winner of the 4 5 matchup will face the 2 seed in a 5 game series. and then the 2 winners face off in a 7 game conference championship.
Something along these lines
The tank keeps on rolling...
Scorpion King
Lead Assistant
And1: 666

Post#36 » by Scorpion King » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 am

darth_federer wrote:No. Then I wouldnt watch the league.

+1. I am sure a lot of teams fans would stop watching NBA as a whole.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#37 » by monopoman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:38 am

Actually I propose that the real reason the upsets are so rare in the NBA is because of the 7 game format.

As you can see with football its one game one win. So you can have a team get some lucky breaks and the opponent gets some bad breaks and even if on paper the opponents team is far superior they lose.

If this happens in the NBA once its not the end of the world you still have multiple opportunities for the superior team to come out on top.
CoffeeJanitor
Rookie

Post#38 » by CoffeeJanitor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:38 am

darth_federer wrote:Stern is one of the best commissioners ever and I say this as a Raptors fan.
Okay, really now.
*Kebo 4 MVP*
Narcist
Rookie
And1: 129

Post#39 » by Narcist » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:45 am

uhh and people complain about predictable. giving the 1 and 2 seeds bye's is only going to make this worse. The only thing to keep it unpredictable is to make the series 5 games. Even then Basketball just has few upsets thats just the way it is. No commish is going to lower the amount of playoff games...sorry to burst your bubble.
ElTuco84
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#40 » by ElTuco84 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:47 am

1995 Rockets, 6th seed, NBA champions.

1999 Knicks, 8th seed, EC champions.

There're more examples of teams that level up to the challenge and defy the top teams, last year Oklahoma had an entertaining first round against the Lakers, Golden State four years ago with that epic matchup against the Mavericks, the Bulls and the Celtics, etc.

Return to The General Board