Players who are unfairly labeled injury prone

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

HtownPA
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Re: Players who are unfairly labeled injury prone 

Post#21 » by HtownPA » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 am

Chris Bosh.
gold_leader64 wrote:Come back to me at the end of the season when the kings are in the lottery again and tell me it's not a big deal.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1147301&start=120#p29639980
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#22 » by Joseph17 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 am

Kevin Martin. He only got injured when he was on Sacramento because he played reckless basketball. When you're 185 pounds and you relentlessly drive to the basket looking for fouls you're bound to get injured at some point. This year he toned his game down and he hasn't gotten injured yet, but he's not the same player he was in 08-09 contrary to what his stats say.
Frankie23
Sixth Man
And1: 312

Post#23 » by Frankie23 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 am

Manu Ginobili.

He only missed half of 2008/2009 season due to injuries.
He had some others, but not the type of Michael Redd or Yao.. Some "minors"..
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#24 » by Darain » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:04 am

John Stockton
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
soadxzx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#25 » by soadxzx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:08 am

Kevin Martin
RIP Peter Steele. Kyle Lowry is a monster
hugolizard
Junior
And1: 17

Post#26 » by hugolizard » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:24 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
GaNGsTaRr93 wrote:
The Laker Kid wrote:Bynum. His first injury happened when Kobe bumped into his knee. That's not his fault.

This guy had problems since HS

Bynum is a slow healer no doubt. he had his problem in high school, but the other 2 knee injuries were not his fault. in the first Odom cut in front of him and landed awkward on Odom and hurt his knee, the second Kobe tripped and landed on Bynums knee. the spooky part is that both those injuries happen in Memphis.

Players bump into each other all the time, and some are just more durable than others. No one would do something stupid to hurt themselves so it's usually not their own fault when they get injured.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#27 » by Lakers05 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:56 am

I think Bynum is actually not as slow a healer as before. I mean, a stinger and a bone bruise would have taken him weeks to recover before, but now, it only took him one game to recover from the shoulder injury, and about a week for the bone bruise. It seems to me that if you keep training, you can change your ability to heal, by forcing your organs to keep working very hard.

It's unfortunate that he refuses to play without the brace(even more so when he's already very careful anyway.) Based on what I'm seeing from Hibbert(and I guess it's a good thing I keep posting about Hibbert, because now I have more evidence), I think it is entirely possible for him to be over 300 lbs and still be as explosive as he is now. It's a shame because I think he can be explosive enough to negate the Heat. I mean, look at what Hibbert is doing for his team against the Heat. In theory, it's possible for Bynum to be explosive enough, that combined with Pau, that he will be able to deter Lebron.

Also, someone posted that you're never the same after breaking your ACL, I beg to differ. No matter what type of CL you break, they heal, that is, assuming that you give it enough time. I think Perkins is actually a little more explosive than last year. I mean, if he really did lose any athleticism, then there's no way he could have pushed around Pau so easily. The only time you become less explosive is when you lose knee cartilage, and that's only because it doesn't grow back.

At this point, even if he waits till the postseason or when he faces the most critical matchup, to take off the brace, then it's no good. It takes time to add muscles, and if he waits till the postseason, then it's too late.

The Heat players are losing their body fat and bulking up to the maximum. If he doesn't do the same, we'll have no chance, if he stays conservative, so to speak. Heck, at this point, it's tough to say whether he'll outplay the Big-Z and Dampier tandem.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,093

Post#28 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:
GaNGsTaRr93 wrote:
Kayjay wrote:Vince Carter. Sure he'll drop to the floor clutching his ankles occasionally, but he doesn't miss too many games.

This.

Yeah.

The way people talk about him, you'd think he's the most injury prone player in the league.

In reality, let's look at his seasons:
50 - lockout year

77 (Raptors & Nets)
All-in-all, just 2 seasons where he missed serious time.
He will miss some time every year due to minor injuries (perhaps also because he's weak ;)), but his body seems quite strong.

Crying on the floor like he's been shot IS pathetic, though. ;) Same for how his "Raptor-career" ended.

Its the same thing with Wade, except he cries less than Vince, but hasn't had as many seasons since his 2 really injury plagued ones to prove his health.

Guy has played in 79 and 77 the past 2 years (including a couple missed due to playoff seeding locked up) and has only missed like 4 games this year. Even his 2 bad years, it was all basically because of the dislocated shoulder which caused him to put off a knee surgery, and the shoulder did NOT come on a typical Wade play, it was a freak accident.
Lakers05
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#29 » by Lakers05 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:09 am

Players bump into each other all the time, and some are just more durable than others. No one would do something stupid to hurt themselves so it's usually not their own fault when they get injured.

In general, bigs heal more slowly than small, and that's because it takes longer for the blood to circulate.

Return to The General Board