Now that Melo is in NY, where do you see Howard going?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

kabstah
Sixth Man
And1: 1,007

Re: Now that Melo is in NY, where do you see Howard going? 

Post#201 » by kabstah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:09 am

initiald wrote:I didn't say the Lakers will outright sign him. I SAID TRADE for him whether through direct trade or Sign-n-Trade.

Here is a trade I envision if the Magic prefer to trade directly.

Dwight 17mil + bad contract of Hedo 10mil for Bynum 14mil + LO 8mil with 1 years left on his contract, team option + Luke 5mil (2 years left) OR ARTEST 5mil (2 years left, player option) + Caracter/Ebank combined for $1 + 4 drafts pick. Can any contending team beat that package?

And what's Dwight going to do if Orlando plays hard ball and won't trade him? Furthermore, Bynum for $14 million is just awful because he hasn't played more than 65 games in 4 years now. No GM short of prime Isiah Thomas would offer $14 million a year to an inconsistent, injury prone player. Lastly, a bunch of contending teams can beat that package. Miami could just offer Bosh straight up, for example.
initiald
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#202 » by initiald » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 am

kabstah wrote:
initiald wrote:I didn't say the Lakers will outright sign him. I SAID TRADE for him whether through direct trade or Sign-n-Trade.

Here is a trade I envision if the Magic prefer to trade directly.

Dwight 17mil + bad contract of Hedo 10mil for Bynum 14mil + LO 8mil with 1 years left on his contract, team option + Luke 5mil (2 years left) OR ARTEST 5mil (2 years left, player option) + Caracter/Ebank combined for $1 + 4 drafts pick. Can any contending team beat that package?

And what's Dwight going to do if Orlando plays hard ball and won't trade him? Furthermore, Bynum for $14 million is just awful because he hasn't played more than 65 games in 4 years now. No GM short of prime Isiah Thomas would offer $14 million a year to an inconsistent, injury prone player. Lastly, a bunch of contending teams can beat that package. Miami could just offer Bosh straight up, for example.

Dude, hard ball. Did you see what happen to the Nuggets at the trade deadline? They have to trade or lose him for nothing. Dwight can just become a free agent in the summer 2012. By then, ton of teams will rip off their cap space off to lure him, Lakers included.

And are you seriously that Bynum is a bad contract???? Are you freaking serious? The guy is a 20/10 waiting to happen if he gets to play Dwight Howard mins. And he has a team option, which literally mean the Magic can extend or let him walk in 2012. He is a bargain for a guy who play a crucial position in the NBA, young, reasonable contract, and tremendous upside.

HAHA Bosh for Howard straight up is a joke. A freakin joke!!! HAHAHAHA.

Not only is Bosh a joke superstar, but a team trading to a rival team so they can be better. HAHAHA
droponov
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#203 » by droponov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:35 am

Has anyone explained why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there? To play alongside a few guys in their late 30s? Kobe will be 35 in 2012. He'd be 35 to 40 during Howard's contract. Artest and Odom will be 34, Pau 33. Fisher will be retired. Even Barnes and Blake would be declining. The Lakers don't have any young players sans Bynum or the assets to get them. They'll be drafting high in the next few years. They won't have cap space to acquire free-agents. So, now that you know all that, can you explain why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there?
Shaheen
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#204 » by Shaheen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 am

droponov wrote:Has anyone explained why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there? To play alongside a few guys in their late 30s? Kobe will be 35 in 2012. He'd be 35 to 40 during Howard's contract. Artest and Odom will be 34, Pau 33. Fisher will be retired. Even Barnes and Blake would be declining. The Lakers don't have any young players sans Bynum or the assets to get them. They'll be drafting high in the next few years. They won't have cap space to acquire free-agents. So, now that you know all that, can you explain why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there?

Agreed.

Why would Dwight go to LA to play with a bunch of grandpas nearing the end of their careers?

IF I'm Dwight I either go to the Nets or Clippers. The Nets will be NY and have a superstar PG in Deron Williams. The Clippers have Davis and a superstar in Blake Griffin.

But going to the Lakers makes absolutely no sense. Kobe will be like 36. And if he wants LA so bad he can just go next door.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#205 » by That Nicka » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 am

Kobe will be 34 at that time... just sayin
droponov
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by droponov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 am

Prime candidates to get Howard, IMO:

Boston
OKC
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Orlando

Fairly sure it's going to be one of these five.
Jetset
RealGM
And1: 162

Post#207 » by Jetset » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 am

droponov wrote:Prime candidates to get Howard, IMO:

Boston
OKC
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Orlando

Elaborate.
droponov
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by droponov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:00 am

Jetset wrote:

Boston
OKC
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Orlando

Explain how Boston is a prime candidate.

Top PG in Rondo + cap space to add a 3rd star + tradition of winning and proven, high-quality management and staff + ability to re-sign those old veterans to low contracts as role players.

It's no coincidence how Boston salaries are structured: the only guy with a contract beyond 2012 is Rondo (and Pierce with an non-guaranteed deal).
kabstah
Sixth Man

Post#209 » by kabstah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 am

initiald wrote:Dude, hard ball. Did you see what happen to the Nuggets at the trade deadline? They have to trade or lose him for nothing. Dwight can just become a free agent in the summer 2012. By then, ton of teams will rip off their cap space off to lure him, Lakers included.

And are you seriously that Bynum is a bad contract???? Are you freaking serious? The guy is a 20/10 waiting to happen if he gets to play Dwight Howard mins. And he has a team option, which literally mean the Magic can extend or let him walk in 2012. He is a bargain for a guy who play a crucial position in the NBA, young, reasonable contract, and tremendous upside.

Not only is Bosh a joke superstar, but a team trading to a rival team so they can be better. HAHAHA

Do you not speak English? No habla Ingles?

The only way the Lakers can clear enough cap space to sign a max contract is to get rid of one of Kobe or Gasol.

And yes, Bynum for $14 million a year is a terrible, terrible contract. Even if he weren't injury prone, he's never been close to a 20/10 guy, not even if you prorate his stats out to 36 minutes (i.e. Dwight Howard minutes). You know who is a 20/10 guy though? Chris Bosh. Who, fake superstar or not, has put up 7 straight seasons better than Bynum's injury-riddled best. And if Dwight leaves Orlando, the Magic aren't going to good enough to be considered rivals to the Heat. Not that Orlando would be under pressure to deal with the Heat, but there are better deals out there than the most injury prone big man this side of Greg Oden.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#210 » by Jetset » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:08 am

droponov wrote:
Jetset wrote:

Boston
OKC
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Orlando

Explain how Boston is a prime candidate.

Top PG in Rondo + cap space to add a 3rd star + tradition of winning and proven, high-quality management and staff + ability to re-sign those old veterans to low contracts as role players.

It's no coincidence how Boston salaries are structured: the only guy with a contract beyond 2012 is Rondo (and Pierce with an non-guaranteed deal).

If CP3 goes to NY, Boston can kiss its chances of contending goodbye, because the east will be ran by the Heat and Knicks. I think Howard would be better off going to the Western Conference imo. But the only teams I see as contenders for Howard are CHI and OKC. And the dark horse being LAL.
ipoopinmypants
General Manager
And1: 3

Post#211 » by ipoopinmypants » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:09 am

I'd never count out HOU/DAL but I don't know what their cap situations will be.
Image Image Image Image
The GOATs
droponov
Lead Assistant

Post#212 » by droponov » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am

Jetset wrote:Once CP3 goes to NY, Boston can kiss its chances of contending goodbye, because the east will be ran by the Heat and Knicks. I think Howard would be better off going to the Western Conference imo. But the only teams I see as contenders for Howard are CHI and OKC. And the dark horse being LAL.

I really doubt Paul will ever go to NYC. They don't have a clear path to acquire him. Plus, Rondo+Howard+ cap space to a 3rd star is a great situation especially if they re-sign Garnett and Pierce for low contracts. I think that core would be a contender regardless of who goes to NY. Same situation with the Nets. OKC, sure, it's another possibility that I named. LAL won't happen, people nominate them just because but the fact that nobody really explains why is very telling; Chicago wont have the cap space, they'd need to move for a trade... and I think Howard will enter the Summer as a free-agent and decide if he stays in Orlando or moves to another team once there.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#213 » by Don Ford » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:24 am

Shaheen wrote:
droponov wrote:Has anyone explained why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there? To play alongside a few guys in their late 30s? Kobe will be 35 in 2012. He'd be 35 to 40 during Howard's contract. Artest and Odom will be 34, Pau 33. Fisher will be retired. Even Barnes and Blake would be declining. The Lakers don't have any young players sans Bynum or the assets to get them. They'll be drafting high in the next few years. They won't have cap space to acquire free-agents. So, now that you know all that, can you explain why the heck would Howard sign an extension with the Lakers if traded there?

Agreed.

Why would Dwight go to LA to play with a bunch of grandpas nearing the end of their careers?

IF I'm Dwight I either go to the Nets or Clippers. The Nets will be NY and have a superstar PG in Deron Williams. The Clippers have Davis and a superstar in Blake Griffin.

But going to the Lakers makes absolutely no sense. Kobe will be like 36. And if he wants LA so bad he can just go next door.

It's like I said above, if you guys think that Donald Sterling will pay max money to Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin at the same time then you haven't been paying attention to his record as an owner. Despite playing in LA the Clippers are almost near the bottom of the league in team payroll, this year they have the third lowest in the league, in front of only Cleveland and Sacramento. Howard and Griffin would be a great frontcourt but Sterling would never pony up the money for it.

And one of the reasons that you hear the rumors about Dwight going to LA is that he's interested in acting so LA/Hollywood would be a logical destination. Plus Fisher could give him some acting lessons in teaching him how to flop. Perfect fit.
Shaheen
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#214 » by Shaheen » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:27 am

Don Ford wrote:
It's like I said above, if you guys think that Donald Sterling will pay max money to Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin at the same time then you haven't been paying attention to his record as an owner. Despite playing in LA the Clippers are almost near the bottom of the league in team payroll, this year they have the third lowest in the league, in front of only Cleveland and Sacramento. Howard and Griffin would be a great frontcourt but Sterling would never pony up the money for it.

And one of the reasons that you hear the rumors about Dwight going to LA is that he's interested in acting so LA/Hollywood would be a logical destination. Plus Fisher could give him some acting lessons in teaching him how to flop. Perfect fit.

Well you're forgetting that Sterling has never had a title contending team. But assuming you're right that still leaves Brooklyn as a far better destination then LA.

He could play with Deron Williams, in a new arena, with the richest owner in sports. That looks a lot more appealing than an LA time which is ALREADY declining.

And I think Howard values winning a lot more than acting. He's not gonna beat the Heat or OKC in a few years with young stars and he knows that.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#215 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:35 am

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:Stay or LA

If Howard goes to LA he will be seriously jocking Superman Shaq

I hope Howard stays in Orlando. I feel bad the Magic lost Shaq and it would be just wrong for it to happen twice.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Post#216 » by Darain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 am

Jetset wrote:

Boston
OKC
Brooklyn
LA Clippers
Orlando

Elaborate.

He'll get to play with a pg with amazing passing skill, near efficiency, and equal ft shooting skills
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
Jetset
RealGM

Post#217 » by Jetset » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:42 am

droponov wrote:
Jetset wrote:Once CP3 goes to NY, Boston can kiss its chances of contending goodbye, because the east will be ran by the Heat and Knicks. I think Howard would be better off going to the Western Conference imo. But the only teams I see as contenders for Howard are CHI and OKC. And the dark horse being LAL.

I really doubt Paul will ever go to NYC. They don't have a clear path to acquire him. Plus, Rondo+Howard+ cap space to a 3rd star is a great situation especially if they re-sign Garnett and Pierce for low contracts. I think that core would be a contender regardless of who goes to NY. Same situation with the Nets. OKC, sure, it's another possibility that I named. LAL won't happen, people nominate them just because but the fact that nobody really explains why is very telling; Chicago wont have the cap space, they'd need to move for a trade... and I think Howard will enter the Summer as a free-agent and decide if he stays in Orlando or moves to another team once there.

Damn I didn't realize how cheap Rondo's contract was. You're right to add Boston to the list, but I don't see Orlando trading the Boston Celtics the best C in the game just to have Howard rape them every single year. As I said before if Howard is traded, it'll probably be to a western team. The reason why the Lakers are brought up, is because they find ways to maintain their elite status, and have little periods of down time. You can go to sham sports and compare salaries as to what you think the future CBA will be all you want. If the Lakers want Howard and Howard wants the Lakers then it'll happen. Thats why I consider LAL a dark horse, and a team that should never be counted out. I'm sure Mr. Stern can pull off amazing trades that look unlikely.

Shaheen wrote:
Don Ford wrote:

Well you're forgetting that Sterling has never had a title contending team. But assuming you're right that still leaves Brooklyn as a far better destination then LA.

He could play with Deron Williams, in a new arena, with the richest owner in sports. That looks a lot more appealing than an LA time which is ALREADY declining.

And I think Howard values winning a lot more than acting. He's not gonna beat the Heat or OKC in a few years with young stars and he knows that.

If Howard values winning, then there's no way he goes to the Nets. I'd put Heat over Nets, and I'd probably still put the Knicks over the Nets even with Howard. You better hope Deron signs that extension, because if he truly is unhappy you're franchise is back to square one.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#218 » by Don Ford » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:51 am

Shaheen wrote:
Don Ford wrote:

No, I'm saying that Sterling has never had and never had a title contending team is because he won't pay what it takes. He knows that the Clippers are in LA and will have a decent revenue stream whether they're a contending team or not.

And if Dwight was to force his way to the Lakers next year, Kobe would be 33, Gasol 31, Artest 32, and Odom 32. The Celtics are one of the favorites this year and Garnett is 34, Allen is 35, and Pierce is 33. So if the Lakers did somehow manage to get Howard it would likely mean that their window would change from 2-3 more years to 4-5 more years, imo. Howard would still get a shot at a couple of rings and also get to pursue his acting interests.
initiald
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#219 » by initiald » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 am

kabstah wrote:
initiald wrote:Dude, hard ball. Did you see what happen to the Nuggets at the trade deadline? They have to trade or lose him for nothing. Dwight can just become a free agent in the summer 2012. By then, ton of teams will rip off their cap space off to lure him, Lakers included.

Do you not speak English? No habla Ingles?

The only way the Lakers can clear enough cap space to sign a max contract is to get rid of one of Kobe or Gasol.

And yes, Bynum for $14 million a year is a terrible, terrible contract. Even if he weren't injury prone, he's never been close to a 20/10 guy, not even if you prorate his stats out to 36 minutes (i.e. Dwight Howard minutes). You know who is a 20/10 guy though? Chris Bosh. Who, fake superstar or not, has put up 7 straight seasons better than Bynum's injury-riddled best. And if Dwight leaves Orlando, the Magic aren't going to good enough to be considered rivals to the Heat. Not that Orlando would be under pressure to deal with the Heat, but there are better deals out there than the most injury prone big man this side of Greg Oden.

Rival team don't like trading with one another. Not only that, but the Magic FO and Miami FO don't like each other. Dwight don't like Lebron.

Bynum is a good contract. I already give you the reason. LEARN TO READ.

Injury prone is the only legitimate criticism of Bynum. His productive stat is obviously not good considering he played on a team with a lot of option. Both Pau/LO is a 10rpg. Kobe/PAU/LO are capable of putting up 20ppg. That's why Bynum can never showcase his true ability because he
wasn't even a 2nd option!

And suggestion Oden is even more laughable. HAHA ODEN IS MORE INJURY PRONE THAN BYNUM!

Anyway, one area people underestimate the Lakers is that they are never in the hunt for championship because of the legacy and history of the franchise. Star players want to play in LA Lakers, that is a fact. Dwight shouldn't be worry after Kobe is gone.
kabstah
Sixth Man

Post#220 » by kabstah » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:20 am

initiald wrote:Rival team don't like trading with one another. Not only that, but the Magic FO and Miami FO don't like each other. Dwight don't like Lebron.

Bynum is a good contract. I already give you the reason. LEARN TO READ.

Injury prone is the only legitimate criticism of Bynum. His productive stat is obviously not good considering he played on a team with a lot of option. Both Pau/LO is a 10rpg. Kobe/PAU/LO are capable of putting up 20ppg. That's why Bynum can never showcase his true ability because he
wasn't even a 2nd option!

And suggestion Oden is even more laughable. HAHA ODEN IS MORE INJURY PRONE THAN BYNUM!

Anyway, one area people underestimate the Lakers is that they are never in the hunt for championship because of the legacy and history of the franchise. Star players want to play in LA Lakers, that is a fact. Dwight shouldn't be worry after Kobe is gone.

The only good thing about Bynum's contract is that it ends soon, because his production certainly isn't worth $14 million. It's merely adequate for a 3rd/4th option, he's unproven as a 1st option, and if the Magic are only getting Bynum for his expiring contract they might as well just let Dwight walk for free. And FYI I didn't suggest Oden, I said Bynum is the most injury prone big man this side of Oden, i.e. Bynum is the most injury prone big man who's not Greg Oden (or Yao I suppose). Learn your idioms please.

Also, I'm still waiting for you to explain how the Lakers are going to clear cap space. Which one of Kobe or Gasol are they going to trade for expiring contracts?

Return to The General Board