Spec: Did Sloan retire b/c Williams went on market?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

juror1
Banned User
And1: 0

Spec: Did Sloan retire b/c Williams went on market? 

Post#1 » by juror1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 am

This is just speculation, but does anyone think it might be possible that the media got the Jazz situation completely wrong, and Sloan retired when he heard management wanted to trade away his star player (apparently they had been considering moving him for a while before the trade) rather than he quit because he didn't get along with Williams?

I'm starting to think that ownership realized that without Boozer they aren't going to be able to make a run into the playoffs, and with the likely hood that Williams was bolting in 2012 anyway, they decided to start a rebuild now. I would think that given Sloan's age and desire to win a championship this would have irked him the wrong way.

The quitting because he has a problem with a player doesn't seem like Sloan, I can see him quitting to stand up for what he believes in (i.e. protest of ownership not standing by his players) but not because he's having trouble with a player.
ClubLakers KB8
Starter
And1: 586

Re: Spec: Did Sloan retire b/c Williams went on market? 

Post#2 » by ClubLakers KB8 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:32 am

Honestly, it does make sense. Sloan is used to having a winning product on the floor. After losing Boozer, with the inevitable loss of AK-47, and the new trend of stars going where they want, I can see it happening.

We'll never know for sure, but why would Sloan at his age even consider staying with the Jazz when you have Jefferson and Millsap to build around? He wants that title. D-Will/Boozer and another stud was their chance. It ended, so maybe he ended.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#3 » by Reckless » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 am

It's a possibility. When he met with KOC he probably proposed the idea to Sloan about trading Deron and Sloan deciding he didn't want anything to do with starting over with a rebuilding team. He realized he doesn't have the energy to go through that again and decided to leave before the deal went down.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:41 am

This is actually a very interesting angle. Never thought about it.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
spartyeagle
Ballboy

Post#5 » by spartyeagle » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:44 am

I think the whole mess of events that's played out the past month tells me that something strange is going on.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 643

Post#6 » by jefe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 am

He handled the losses of Stockton and Malone in stride (taking all but one or two teams to the playoffs IIRC); I think he could handle the loss of Williams.
HTown_TMac
General Manager
And1: 222

Post#7 » by HTown_TMac » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 am

First thing that crossed my mind
www.atrilli.net <- music blog
Waynelu90
Senior

Post#8 » by Waynelu90 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:50 am

jefe wrote:He handled the losses of Stockton and Malone in stride (taking all but one or two teams to the playoffs IIRC); I think he could handle the loss of Williams.

The man is 68 years old. I don't think he has it in him to try and rebuild a new team when all he wants to play for is a championship at this stage in his career. IMO, the management told him they're going to give it up and try to rebuild and Jerry said enough was enough and left.
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#9 » by Reckless » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 am

jefe wrote:He handled the losses of Stockton and Malone in stride (taking all but one or two teams to the playoffs IIRC); I think he could handle the loss of Williams.

that was how long ago..the times have changed, jerry knew it.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 643

Post#10 » by jefe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:52 am

Waynelu90 wrote:

The man is 68 years old. I don't think he has it in him to try and rebuild a new team when all he wants to play for is a championship at this stage in his career. IMO, the management told him they're going to give it up and try to rebuild and Jerry said enough was enough and left.

With or without Williams he wasn't playing for a championship this year or the foreseeable future IMO.

Edit: True enough, you have to hang em up at some point - but I don't see the loss of Williams being something that makes a coach of Sloan's caliber quit midseason after 20 some odd years on the bench.
HeyJoe
Starter
And1: 12

Post#11 » by HeyJoe » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 am

deron didn't want to go to NJN though

and sloan's last ah tribulation was the argument with deron (that's not just media speculation, that was documented)

how can he be mad at something deron didn't want, because of deron? doesn't fit.

the other thing is that if it had nothign to do with deron, you'd think sloan would've defended his relationship with deron harder
juror1
Banned User

Post#12 » by juror1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 am

If Sloan and WIlliams are cool with everything... and I know this is just a dream and is almost definitely not going to happen, but I I'm hoping the Nets fire Johnson and replace him with Sloan
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#13 » by miltk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:08 am

no,,,and only because that speculation had not risen before. since they got rid of boozer and korver last year, you would think some of the local media would have speculated on such a trend, ie that there was about to be a massive overhaul in the team. in that atmosphere, i can't see how they could cover up an impending move of dwill.
dn0774
Junior

Post#14 » by dn0774 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:18 am

If this were actually the reason for his departure I gotta think Sloan would've stepped up on Derons behalf. As it is, Deron looks like the bad guy (and maybe he is) and his reputation took the hit with regards to Sloans resignation.

The only reason I could think of for Sloan keeping quiet if this speculation is true is that the Jazz front office asked him specifically for discretion regarding his exit. If it had gone public that Deron was on the trading block it would all but destroy any chance of re-signing Deron (and possibly his trade value depending on how things went) should a suitable offer not be found.
AMG
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#15 » by AMG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:20 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:This is actually a very interesting angle. Never thought about it.

This.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#16 » by reapaman » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:22 am

I seriously think the Williams trade was a spur of the moment thing. Jazz just thought we dont wanna be in this postion next year and the Nets offer are the best we are going to get anytime soon with the cba looming and D-will not signed to an extension..... So lets do it. It had absolutely nothing to do with sloan retiring.

I dont see how it concievably possible that you can shop a player of D-will's magnitude around without even a whisper, so that had to be thrown together sometime between tuesday night and wensday morning. Shoot even courtney lee got multiple articles about his trade rumors.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
Hustle N Flo
Junior

Post#17 » by Hustle N Flo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 am

Ummmm.....?
Melo & STAT >>>>>>>>
TWInsider
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#18 » by TWInsider » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:26 am

What?
As far as i know, Sloan was angry because Williams is a dick and did revolt in the locker room against Sloan and the front office would not talk with Williams about it.
TWInsider wrote:Don't call Wiggins Wiggy. He is supposed to become our superstar. The leader of the pack.

A guy called Wiggy is not going to make that happen. Call him King Wiggins, A-Wolf or whatever.

Return to The General Board