Why is Kobe still considered the best player by some people?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Gongxi
Banned User
And1: 27

Re: Why is Kobe still considered the best player by some people? 

Post#481 » by Gongxi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:37 am

markjay wrote:"Some people" apparently includes a lot of NBA players, at least as of earlier this season.

Link:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Sports Illustrated reports that it polled NBA players earlier in the season, with 166 responding, on the following question:

Who do you want shooting with the game on the line?

Here were the top responses:

Kobe Bryant, Lakers G 74%
Kevin Durant, Thunder F 3%
Dwayne Wade, Heat G 3%
Ray Allen, Celtics G 2%
Dirk Nowitzki, Mavericks F 2%

Well, two things here: remember when Shaq said KG sucked on defense? Remember how there are actual records of how players perform when taking the last shot?

Big shocker: basketball players aren't always the smartest of people.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#482 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:41 am

Uh....duh...because he is.

I can't stand him or the Lakers, but even I admit that. I am not that stupid. There is really no argument here.

The closet guy I put next to him is Dwyane Wade. Some would say LeBron. I perfer to remain faithful to Wade. That's my boy...

But both are the ultimate competitors, play hard, play hurt, play to win, and earn everything they get on both ends and pay the price to get to where they are and make no excuses.

Anyone who comes in here and says Kobe is not the best is foolish and doesn't know basketball and is kidding themsleves.

In any measurement you want to use he is. I don't care for him or his game either, but I respect it. So get your bias and emotion out of it and personal feelings and even begrudingly you would have to hate to admit he is he best going...

Period.
pavementplmokn
Junior
And1: 135

Post#483 » by pavementplmokn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:07 am

tsherkin wrote:I guess he's been waived since, so it doesn't matter... but even still.

BlackerDynamite wrote:Still doesn't change the fact, you seem to just want to argue against Bryant however you can. I would take Media, Coaches, and GM's opinions over realgm users any day.

Just to clarify, anyone sensible should be leery when accepting the opinions of mere forumites such as myself or anyone else on here, but when there are reams of data (not just stats but video clips and so forth) as evidence that totally undermine a claim that's extremely common coming from a certain group of people, it tends to cast a pall over their credibility. NBA personnel are humans, and thus subject to error. They, like most sports institutions, are slow to respond to things that challenge their perception of their world. Kobe's been a good player for a long time and reputation means a lot, so they tend to CONTINUE believing things, but Kobe's not the player he used to be. His team has caught up to him in quality and he continues to be a strong veteran player still playing some incredible basketball, but like Jordan before him, he's not nearly the player he was in his 20s. It's just reality, it's life, it's how AGING works. Kobe's clearly declined a lot on the defensive end, has lost a lot of physical ability due to aging and injuries, and his skill level (impressive as it is) can't make up all of the difference.

I don't argue that Bryant is a bad player, but BD tried to make it seem that way. Arguing that Kobe != the best player in the league is a far cry from disrespecting him or otherwise "hating" on him (to borrow the common parlance), especially when I go out of my way to explain why and point out that I still consider him a top 5 player in the league, and a top 10 player in league history.

The media aren't any more qualified or informed on these topics than we are in MANY cases. You'd take someone like JA Adande or Ric Bucher's opinion over someone on RealGM? Good for you. I've got some land to sell you.

Coaches are clever folk a lot of the time, but then you have a guy like Jay Triano, who's a horrible coach. Mike Brown too. These are guys who rely on raw averages and all kinds of other things that have serious flaws, especially given how they attempt to use them. Triano's a guy who resisted accepting how BAD the Raptors were on defense last year when people pointed out the historically bad DRTG of the team because he wanted to talk about opponent FG% (or was it eFG%, I forget).

Stodgy people.

Same deal with GMs. There are plenty of BAD GMs and coaches out there (and just inexperienced ones, too) and their opinions are factored into those types of polls as well. Inexperienced, limited qualifications, I mean, what else do you want to say? Their opinions aren't really more valuable than anyone else's. Appeal to authority is no less fallacious because this is sport and not some debate confined to a purely academic topic like Roman history in the 4th century BC.

Seriously.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,431

Post#484 » by tsherkin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:25 pm

inquisitive wrote:True, no doubt Kobe is miles ahead of Wade career wise. I'm just talking about right now .

Yeah, but we were talking about "player of the decade" stuff, so it seemed kind of out of place, that's the only reason I said anything. :D
Nett
Junior
And1: 1

Post#485 » by Nett » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Good organization that Kobe is in.
:wordyo:
Dreamz
Senior
And1: 42

Post#486 » by Dreamz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:32 pm

The way I look at it, and I'm not being biased even though I am a Kobe fan, is that if you can be in the discussion for the best player in the league year after year like Kobe has been for over a decade then whether you like it or not, he has to be considered the best until someone knocks him out of the discussion entirely.

I would feel this way about any player whom has been up there that long. Until he declines to the point where you don't have him in the discussion as the best player, he has to be the best player. How many other players has Kobe outlasted through his time? How many players has he been argued against as the best, year after year? The only common factor is that Kobe is in the discussion EVERYTIME.

Just my two cents on it.

Return to The General Board