Barea..Best under 6 foot White guy ever?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Re: Barea..Best under 6 foot White guy ever? 

Post#101 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 am

PapeSowish wrote:Image

Juan Fernandez

LOL that's a good one! I got one too.

NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#102 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu May 19, 2011 5:40 am

Steeve Ho You Fat...can anyone explain the origin or the heritage based on his name?
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#103 » by realfung » Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 am

oikosnomos wrote:
jinxed wrote:
NickAnderson wrote:Puerto Rican

Puero Rico is a country(kind of)..not a race...

He's right! As far as I know there is not country call White.

HAHAHAHAHA
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,967

Post#104 » by Optms » Thu May 19, 2011 6:34 am

He's the best 6 foot or under Puerto Rican ever.
doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#105 » by doctorfunk » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

hebrewhammer wrote:"White" can mean a couple of things Anthropologically. Scientists have no set definition and largely it depends on the political climate. Early in the 19th century when the scientific definition of race was invented white was Caucasian, which means Indians and Pakistanis as well as Central Asians and Europeans were "white." (The concept of Aryans was actually based on sanskrit writings... so the MOST Caucasian or "white" people in the world were not Europeans who had some mixed blood but the original Iranians and Indians)

yea it's sort mainstream theory of three races, white yellow and black and it seems to be the best classification imo, why split hairs about small differences, generally classification makes sense.

hebrewhammer wrote:According to the US Government, Indians and Chinese are both "Asian" which is (Please Use More Appropriate Word) since they are as different racially as whites and blacks. Listening to Fat Joe might be ignorant but assuming that some box on a government form somewhere is the definitive word is just as stupid.

No it's not, Indians/Eskimos migrated to North America from Asia and share some traits like the eyes thing, more apparent in Japs, Chinese etc but it's still there. In fact natives are most genetically similar to Siberians and Alaskan people.
Cloud765
Starter
And1: 25

Post#106 » by Cloud765 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Steve Nash looks like he's around 6'
The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Miami Heat fans, the Miami Heat Organization, or it's employees.
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#107 » by doctorfunk » Thu May 19, 2011 1:15 pm

really? Nash seems like 6'1 at least to me, more like legit 6'2 guy
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#108 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu May 19, 2011 1:28 pm

doctorfunk wrote:

hebrewhammer wrote:According to the US Government, Indians and Chinese are both "Asian" which is (Please Use More Appropriate Word) since they are as different racially as whites and blacks. Listening to Fat Joe might be ignorant but assuming that some box on a government form somewhere is the definitive word is just as stupid.

No it's not, Indians/Eskimos migrated to North America from Asia and share some traits like the eyes thing, more apparent in Japs, Chinese etc but it's still there. In fact natives are most genetically similar to Siberians and Alaskan people.

I think he's referring to Indians from India. Also the U.S. government or census actually updates information and changes things from time to time, as more and more Asian groups have their own box.

doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#109 » by doctorfunk » Thu May 19, 2011 2:17 pm

NOODLESTYLE wrote:I think he's referring to Indians from India. Also the U.S. government or census actually updates information and changes things from time to time, as more and more Asian groups have their own box.

ah yea I think you must be right, my bad :P

anyway calling Native Americans Indians after we know for like 500yrs they are not really from India is silly lol

anyway Indian's/Paki's should be with white race box obviously, maybe Caucasoid to be more precise ;p
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu May 19, 2011 2:37 pm

doctorfunk wrote:
NOODLESTYLE wrote:I think he's referring to Indians from India. Also the U.S. government or census actually updates information and changes things from time to time, as more and more Asian groups have their own box.

ah yea I think you must be right, my bad :P

anyway calling Native Americans Indians after we know for like 500yrs they are not really from India is silly lol

anyway Indian's/Paki's should be with white race box obviously, maybe Caucasoid to be more precise ;p

Well in terms of the Census, Indians were at one point categorized as White. However, eventually that changed due to activists who protested for re-classification.

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/GovData/inf ... /race.html

The 1970 questionnaire did not have separate race categories for Asian
Indian, Vietnamese, Samoan, and Guamanian. These persons indicated
their race in the "Other" category and later, through the editing
process, were assigned to a specific group. For example, in 1970, Asian
Indians were reclassified as "White," while Vietnamese,
Guamanians, and Samoans were included in the "Other" category.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/Di ... roots.html

The aversion of Indians to being viewed as part of a "black" community no doubt owes something also to their own racism, and as one black man wrote of Indian college students in the 1920s, "the Indian wore turbans so as not to be identified with negroes; they kept their distance, wanted nothing to do with negroes." To be assimilated into the category of "Caucasian" or "white" might consequently seem desirable, but Indians could not then claim those entitlements due to members of "minority groups" that faced the real hazards of prejudice. Where, at one time, Indians were zealous in pressing forth the claim that they ought to be considered "white", they now sought to disassociate themselves from this identity without disavowing the category of "Caucasian", which was seen as prestigious and having scientific credibility. Writing to the US Civil Rights Commission in 1975, the recently formed Association of Indians in America (AIA) submitted that "Indians are different in appearance; they are equally dark-skinned as other non-white individuals and are, therefore, subject to the same prejudices."

These efforts at preserving the minority status of Indians, while allowing them a distinct identity, were to bear fruit when the Census Bureau agreed to reclassify immigrants from India as "Asian Indians"
bobly
Rookie
And1: 432

Post#111 » by bobly » Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 pm

The argument that Barea isn't White or that he can't be considered white is nonsense. I hope what I say might carry a little more weight because I am a white Puerto Rican living in the States.

My parents and I are all white and when I say white I mean Ivory, snow, powder etc...

Puerto Rican Americans only distinguish themselves as Hispanic and non-white because they want to acknowledge their heritage and seek a social distinction from white people who aren't Hispanic. It's a cultural distinction that has nothing to do with race at all.

Light skinned Puerto Ricans absolutely consider themselves white. Puerto Rico like all Hispanic countries has a large demographic that consists of the descendants of Europeans. If my Grandmother is from Spain and moved to Puerto Rico at what point did she stop becoming white?

Race has nothing to do with nationality.

Is Steve Nash black or white? I vote Black, he was born in Africa after all.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding btw.
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#112 » by jinxed » Thu May 19, 2011 6:17 pm

hebrewhammer wrote:
Well first of all, many Spaniards have Moorish (mixed African, European and Semitic) blood. Many also secretly have Jewish blood because the Jews followed the Arabs to Spain to exploit the occupation and were consequently forced to convert during the Inquisition.

So the fact that Barea's family is from Spain doesn't mean **** racially. If you're going to be a hardass about it get your facts straight.

It doesn't really matter what you fill out on whatever job form. According to the US Government, Indians and Chinese are both "Asian" which is (Please Use More Appropriate Word) since they are as different racially as whites and blacks. Listening to Fat Joe might be ignorant but assuming that some box on a government form somewhere is the definitive word is just as stupid.

Nice straw man.

I've studied my fair share of anthropology. I know very well that people don't just fit into nice little categories from a genetic stand point. That race is a sociocultural construction.

Yet WITHIN the framework of our sociocultural construction..J.J Barea is white.

Also very few spaniards have moorish blood due, we know this due to DNA testing. So you are wrong there. In fact, according to DNA studies, the most Moorish influence anyone could find was 1-3% in SOME Spaniards.

I get that you are Jewish and would like to believe your Jew blood has infiltrated the world...but take it easy on this one bud. You are overstating your case.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#113 » by BubbaTee » Thu May 19, 2011 6:33 pm

jinxed wrote:Because I know there are a lot of stupid people out there who don't realize Puerto Rico is a nationality, not a race.

Puerto Rican isn't a nationality either - well, at least not yet.

I wonder how that would work if PR goes independent. I guess it gets applied retroactively. I mean, no one calls George Washington a Brit.

Return to The General Board