Charles Barkley is "certain he had gay teammates"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Re: Charles Barkley is "certain he had gay teammates" 

Post#101 » by sule » Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

AWalkerREMIX wrote:
Spanish_Laker wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable in the locker room with gay teammates. I guess most of NBA athletes would feel the same.

I'm gay and play in a gay basketball league. I don't feel comfortable showering with other gay guys either. I think it depends on the person. I just don't like feeling like someone might be trying to look at my junk that I don't want to....not that all gay guys would, but the possibility is still there.

i think this brings up an interesting question I've held while reading about the issue of women reporters in men's lockerrooms...Do we separate men and women's lockerrooms purely because of the difference in sex (male vs. female) or are we separating for the sake of separating groups that are sexually attracted to each other?
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#102 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm

grimballer wrote:
MartyConlonJr wrote:Haven't read all of these, but a few that said gay population in NBA would be lower because of aggression etc. Have you ever been to a gym?

Much higher % of gay men in gyms. ie very body conscious men that spend all day working out together, have an obsession with their own physique etc. NBA players are some of the most body conscious guys around in my estimation.

Also some of these guys are having sex parties every day, I'm sure there is a lot more 'flexibility' on what is involved in their sex lives. Much more experimentation, group sex etc.

I am not saying it is higher or lower, but there can be arguments either way.

have u ever been to the gym?

those "agreesive" "meatheads" who try to bench press 5 plates n are screaming due to pain, those guys are not gay.

the gay guys are the ones with questionable outfits doing stretching, lifting light weights, doing cardio, working on their azz. (again easily spottable)

its funny how media twist things around in todays society

gay guys are the strong muscular ones, while straight guys are outta shape with beer bellies.

Oh my god, just stop...
AWalkerREMIX
Starter
And1: 8

Post#103 » by AWalkerREMIX » Wed May 18, 2011 9:40 pm

sule wrote:
AWalkerREMIX wrote:
Spanish_Laker wrote:I wouldn't feel comfortable in the locker room with gay teammates. I guess most of NBA athletes would feel the same.

I'm gay and play in a gay basketball league. I don't feel comfortable showering with other gay guys either. I think it depends on the person. I just don't like feeling like someone might be trying to look at my junk that I don't want to....not that all gay guys would, but the possibility is still there.

i think this brings up an interesting question I've held while reading about the issue of women reporters in men's lockerrooms...Do we separate men and women's lockerrooms purely because of the difference in sex (male vs. female) or are we separating for the sake of separating groups that are sexually attracted to each other?

It's something I've wondered, too. It's different for everybody. I'm sure there are some people that feel comfortable showering in front of anybody. IMO, there should just be single shower stalls. Group showers are weird.
supfoo
Junior
And1: 0

Post#104 » by supfoo » Wed May 18, 2011 9:41 pm

grimballer wrote:
MartyConlonJr wrote:Haven't read all of these, but a few that said gay population in NBA would be lower because of aggression etc. Have you ever been to a gym?

Much higher % of gay men in gyms. ie very body conscious men that spend all day working out together, have an obsession with their own physique etc. NBA players are some of the most body conscious guys around in my estimation.

Also some of these guys are having sex parties every day, I'm sure there is a lot more 'flexibility' on what is involved in their sex lives. Much more experimentation, group sex etc.

those "agreesive" "meatheads" who try to bench press 5 plates n are screaming due to pain, those guys are not gay.

the gay guys are the ones with questionable outfits doing stretching, lifting light weights, doing cardio, working on their azz. (again easily spottable)

gay guys are the strong muscular ones, while straight guys are outta shape with beer bellies.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones." - Confucius
doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#105 » by doctorfunk » Wed May 18, 2011 9:43 pm

grimballer on fire
sule
RealGM

Post#106 » by sule » Wed May 18, 2011 9:57 pm

AWalkerREMIX wrote:
sule wrote:
AWalkerREMIX wrote:I'm gay and play in a gay basketball league. I don't feel comfortable showering with other gay guys either. I think it depends on the person. I just don't like feeling like someone might be trying to look at my junk that I don't want to....not that all gay guys would, but the possibility is still there.

It's something I've wondered, too. It's different for everybody. I'm sure there are some people that feel comfortable showering in front of anybody. IMO, there should just be single shower stalls. Group showers are weird.

It's not just showers. I'm talking about the changeroom in general.

I think a good argument can be made for both sides, but I think it depends moreso on the general comfort of the people around you. Would a male be more comfortable changing in front of other women who may not be sexually attracted to him, or would the male be more comfortable changing in front of other males, even though the male next to him may be sexually attracted?
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#107 » by BubbaTee » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 pm

doctorfunk wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:So if you're sexually attracted to what you think is a female, but it turns out to actually be a male - what is that, if not "being sexually attracted to another person of the same sex"?

If I mistake piece of poo for a chocolate cake that means that I have hidden urge to eat poo?
Point I'm trying to make is that you assume an object has certain qualities when you look at it, like you can picture yourself having sex with that object, but when it turns out it has a penis it is not consistent with your idea of that object. SO I hope you see the problem with that type of reasoning now.

Isn't that what I said? Objects have qualities, and your attraction to those qualities is what forms your attraction to the object.

BubbaTee wrote:Granted, that "person of the same sex" may have attributes more commonly associated with the opposite sex - that's what I contend you're actually attracted to.

However, I'm not sure the analogy of chocolate-poo fits. I'm assuming the main quality you'd be attracted to in chocolate is taste. And judging by the smell of poo, I'm guessing that the taste of poo would be diametrically opposed to the taste of chocolate.

The same is not necessarily true of physical characteristics a person might find sexually attractive.

First, the appeal of chocolate lies largely in a single trait - taste. The appeal of an attractive person often lies in several qualities, rather than in a single, dominant trait.

Second, while some features will be more prevalent among one sex or the other, they are not exclusive to that sex - certainly not to the degree that the good taste of chocolate is exclusive to chocolate in comparison to poo.
bballmaniac27
Starter
And1: 4

Post#108 » by bballmaniac27 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 pm

why do people always feel the need to speculate about which players are gay? Why does it even matter. Sexuality is something that doesn't even need to be brought up in professional sports. It's part of someone's private lives and has nothing to do with basketball whatsoever.

Also, why do so many gay people feel the need to announce to the world that they're gay. If you feel the need to come out then just tell your close friends and family. The rest of the world doesn't need to know about your sexual preference.
grimballer
Banned User

Post#109 » by grimballer » Wed May 18, 2011 10:07 pm

BubbaTee wrote:But since you have no knowledge of the other person's actual sex at the time your attraction is established, how can you then claim that the other person's sex forms the very foundation of your attraction? That does not make sense.

If I say "I only like Coke, I don't like Pepsi" and then you give me Pepsi in a Coke bottle and I like it, it's nothing more than self-delusion for me to then continue claiming I don't like Pepsi.

u got it upside down.

men dont like women cause they have highheels, long hair, n wear skirts.

these things are associated with women in society we live in.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,289

Post#110 » by Marvel » Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I wonder what the % of "in the closet" gays would be for GMs, executives and Stern's office.

I'm pretty sure Chuck's speaking about Chambers.
Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Post#111 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Wed May 18, 2011 10:20 pm

sule wrote:
AWalkerREMIX wrote:
sule wrote:i think this brings up an interesting question I've held while reading about the issue of women reporters in men's lockerrooms...Do we separate men and women's lockerrooms purely because of the difference in sex (male vs. female) or are we separating for the sake of separating groups that are sexually attracted to each other?

I think a good argument can be made for both sides, but I think it depends moreso on the general comfort of the people around you. Would a male be more comfortable changing in front of other women who may not be sexually attracted to him, or would the male be more comfortable changing in front of other males, even though the male next to him may be sexually attracted?

For myself I'd feel way more comfortable changing in front of a gay guy than a women, unless that women is my girlfriend. I suppose it could be different for different people though. I guess some guys would not mind changing in front of a lesbian. I would.

But beyond the sexual aspect I think there is an argument to be made about it being a gender health issue, particularly for women. There are certain things about health that are particular to men and women with whom you wouldn't want to share with a person of the opposite sex unless they were a doctor.

Finally with Pro sports, its just a different setting. For a female reporter, she is there to do a job and I think its such a specialized position that there is certain professional standard set, whether informally or likely even in writing, that each party will respect the other. You can't say the same for some random gym locker room.
grimballer
Banned User

Post#112 » by grimballer » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm

AWalkerREMIX wrote:
grimballer wrote:

Okay, everything you've said, although bordering on stupidity, never actually crossed the line until now...so I'll step in.
Most of the gay guys I've met outside of "gay" settings, I've actually met at the gym. And yes, they ARE those extremely muscular guys that are lifting the heavy weights. Just like with every group of people, there are obviously a lot of gay guys that do a lot of cardio and muscle toning exercises rather than building. I would say that a much higher percentage of gays go to the gyms in comparison to straights. Personally, I know very few gay guys that don't go to the gym on a regular basis.

n if u talk to those "muscular gay guys" theyll have mike tyson voice n talk to u about "glee"

which will make u go:

"is this guy gay?"

see what i mean?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,211

Post#113 » by tsherkin » Wed May 18, 2011 10:37 pm

And... that about does it.

There is no catch-all classification for people of a homosexual orientation, so let's not try to find it. You can meet a 6'6 muscular monster with a voice like Shaq's, deep and reverberating, and he can be as gay as gay can be. Likewise, you can meet a toothpick guy who likes scarves and listens to Abba and he can be a pick-up artist with an incredible lust for females.

There are traits and habits that we typically associate with people of that nature, but these are not definitive. Using them as such is folly, period. This is the old "you cannot judge a book by its cover" principle in action.
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#114 » by breaker91 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 pm

It has to be "Thunder" Dan Majerle. Just by nickname and that dreamy hair alone.
"The brownies are good for me to make three-points.'' -Rudy Fernandez
sule
RealGM

Post#115 » by sule » Wed May 18, 2011 10:40 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
sule wrote:
AWalkerREMIX wrote:It's something I've wondered, too. It's different for everybody. I'm sure there are some people that feel comfortable showering in front of anybody. IMO, there should just be single shower stalls. Group showers are weird.

For myself I'd feel way more comfortable changing in front of a gay guy than a women, unless that women is my girlfriend. I suppose it could be different for different people though. I guess some guys would not mind changing in front of a lesbian. I would.

But beyond the sexual aspect I think there is an argument to be made about it being a gender health issue, particularly for women. There are certain things about health that are particular to men and women with whom you wouldn't want to share with a person of the opposite sex unless they were a doctor.

Finally with Pro sports, its just a different setting. For a female reporter, she is there to do a job and I think its such a specialized position that there is certain professional standard set, whether informally or likely even in writing, that each party will respect the other. You can't say the same for some random gym locker room.

I'd have to disagree with respect to the female reporters, to a certain extent. I think sometimes there's a double-standard in place when it comes to female reporters, since they have full access to male athlete's locker rooms, but male reporters are barred from female locker rooms...

i also think that if the secretary in the office I hypothetically work at goes and poses in a magazine or any other medium designed to objectify women by selling them as attractive sexual fantasies (like Playboy), she should expect some objectification, or at least expect people in her office view her as someone they are somewhat attracted to. And that if the mailroom guy ends up spotting a peak at her breasts when she's wearing a low-cut top, she shouldn't go screaming to HR the second it happens, even though it is supposed to be a professional environment.

I think that similarly, female reporters take advantage of their position and their sexual nature (especially after they pose in magazines like sports illustrated or FHM) to flirt with athletes, but when they are called out for it, or put in a position where they know the athletes are flirting with them or are viewing them as someone sexually attractive rather than a professional reporter, it's not all on the male athletes.

Anyway, here's a good article on this. Even though it's a little sensationalist at times, the general arguments put forward are pretty compelling and it's a good read if nothing else.
http://www.thecypresstimes.com/article/ ... RT_1/38916
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#116 » by funkatron101 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

grimballer wrote:n if u talk to those "muscular gay guys" theyll have mike tyson voice n talk to u about "glee"

which will make u go:

"is this guy gay?"

see what i mean?

Your world view must be so small. I hope it is because you are still an adolescent. That would give you a small excuse.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
grimballer
Banned User

Post#117 » by grimballer » Wed May 18, 2011 10:53 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
grimballer wrote:n if u talk to those "muscular gay guys" theyll have mike tyson voice n talk to u about "glee"

which will make u go:

"is this guy gay?"

see what i mean?

Your world view must be so small. I hope it is because you are still an adolescent. That would give you a small excuse.

u got it wrong buddy.

u r a product of a zombie system.

u were forcefed certain ideas that society wants u to accept.

u cant think for yourself. everythings been decided for u already.

me on the other hand, can think for myself. n when i see soething doesnt make sense, i let tools like u know about it.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#118 » by darth_federer » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

So all gays are flamboyant then? What about these guys?

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
Shaheen
Banned User

Post#119 » by Shaheen » Wed May 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Bat wrote:Haven't we known that Richard Jefferson is gay for years.

I'm not trying to make a joke, but would anyone be shocked if Jefferson comes out of the closet when he's done playing?

And if he does, everyone will say, oh, I knew that already, big deal.

Thats just a stupid rumor. RJ was engaged to Keisha Nicole.

doctorfunk
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#120 » by doctorfunk » Wed May 18, 2011 11:07 pm

BubbaTee wrote:
doctorfunk wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:So if you're sexually attracted to what you think is a female, but it turns out to actually be a male - what is that, if not "being sexually attracted to another person of the same sex"?

If I mistake piece of poo for a chocolate cake that means that I have hidden urge to eat poo?
Point I'm trying to make is that you assume an object has certain qualities when you look at it, like you can picture yourself having sex with that object, but when it turns out it has a penis it is not consistent with your idea of that object. SO I hope you see the problem with that type of reasoning now.

Isn't that what I said? Objects have qualities, and your attraction to those qualities is what forms your attraction to the object.

you said the opposite?

[...]
Granted, that "person of the same sex" may have attributes more commonly associated with the opposite sex - that's what I contend you're actually attracted to.
[...]
If I say "I only like Coke, I don't like Pepsi" and then you give me Pepsi in a Coke bottle and I like it, it's nothing more than self-delusion for me to then continue claiming I don't like Pepsi.

and yes this is faulty reasoning, it's more like Coke and bottle of puke that looks from away like Coke, but then you taste it and it's puke, got it?

Anyway as people said I would feel less comfortable with gay people than with straight people, but it's not a big deal in a long run I think. I think I'm neutral about coming out thing up to them, I wouldn't mind if guys I play with currently turned out to be gays. Anyway im curious who Barkley meant. Also RJ might be just different or something :lol: not necessarily gay

grimabller I think you are enjoying attention, if not as you say think outside the box yourself.. you are thinking in sterotypes

Return to The General Board