Will Kobe be Top 5 Player Next Season? (Assuming no lockout)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shobe_81
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 0

Will Kobe be Top 5 Player Next Season? (Assuming no lockout) 

Post#1 » by shobe_81 » Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Do you think Kobe will be a top 5 player next season, will he even crack top 10? What's your list?

He declined a bit, but might it have to do with the wear and tear of three straight finals?

Here's my list:

1. Howard
2. Lebron
3. CP3
4. Wade
5. Rose
6. Durant
7. Kobe
nonemus
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Will Kobe be Top 5 Player Next Season? (Assuming no lockout) 

Post#2 » by nonemus » Wed May 18, 2011 5:38 pm

No, it might have something to do with the wear and tear of 48000 minutes.

Yeah, it may be that.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,557

Post#3 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed May 18, 2011 5:40 pm

He wasn't this year but he could have a bounce back year.
BULLHITTER
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#4 » by BULLHITTER » Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

i was wondering when the obligatory "kobe is god" thread was coming this week; wednesday's pretty far into the week. 8-)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,205

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Wed May 18, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm actually fairly interested to see. MJ retired after three straight trips to the Finals and though he had to reinvent his game a little, he came back pretty darned well. Kobe's basically already reinvented his game, so one has to wonder if a longer summer will help him heal up and get himself together physically for a really good season, especially with a new voice at the helm (though that could go either way).

I'm confident he'll be top 10 at the worst, but he could still be a top 5 player if he can find the stamina to play 35-ish minutes per game.

Wish he'd get the darn finger surgery, though, that's a heavy limiting factor on his shooting ability. I know he thinks the recovery time will be long, but it won't affect his conditioning, just his shooting.

Ah well, we shall see.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,542

Post#6 » by ropjhk » Wed May 18, 2011 5:50 pm

He's already dropped out of the top 5.
RandomKnight
Junior

Post#7 » by RandomKnight » Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

He had a lot of injuries this year. Whether they are chronic and continue, or he has relatively good health, will decide if he remains elite. A speedy decline is not a certitude at this point.
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,775

Post#8 » by picc » Wed May 18, 2011 5:53 pm

Kobe has a full summer to strengthen his knee and add new wrinkles to his game, so its very possible. Of course he is old, so its possible his body breaks down again over the season and he reverts to what we saw last of him, so i'm not holding any breath.

Very interested to see how he looks next season, if there is a season.

At worst he'll remain top 8 or so, which is where he is now.

Finger surgery won't happen, his hands are what they are. He's not going to do it.

With a new offense getting him easier shots and allowing for more ball-control by a competent PG that we'll hopefully have, he should be able to be more efficient.
JayT44
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#9 » by JayT44 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Lol @ Chris Paul at number three after one good series.
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#10 » by USA » Wed May 18, 2011 6:47 pm

No. More likely top 10-12. He has far to many miles to think that he will be able to come back next season and be top 5, regardless of how much rest he gets. He may start out hot next season for the first month or 2 then the dog days of the season will kick in and his mileage will show.
JustPlayHard
Sophomore

Post#11 » by JustPlayHard » Wed May 18, 2011 6:53 pm

1. Lebron
2.Howard
3.Wade
4.Rose
5.Dirk

I didn't think Bryant was in the top 5 this year. I truely believe he got more credit this season due to being the best player on the defending champs. But next year I think most of the so called experts will put his ranking in perspective. Still a awesome player
defjux21
Analyst
And1: 85

Post#12 » by defjux21 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes he'll be top 5 out of pure rep.

Case in point: Kobe's reputation on defense and how it has been upheld this long.
Cracked Fingers
Senior

Post#13 » by Cracked Fingers » Wed May 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Too hard to predict.

He started this season playing on a knee that was not close to being rehabilitated. Easy to forget he did nothing in terms of actual basketball through most of training camp.

Then he rolls the ankle against Dallas and aggravates it again in the playoffs.

He definitely will benefit from having the summer to strengthen his base.

Kobe's problem moving forward is his fingers. His ball handling ability use to set him apart from other 2 guards. Now I don't trust him when he faces up and puts it on the floor.
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,514

Post#14 » by An Unbiased Fan » Wed May 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Yes. A few things to consider....

1) Kobe has been a Top 5 MVP candidates the last 9 straight years

2) Kobe has been All-NBA 1st team the last 6 years.

3) I bring #1 & 2 up because the NBA fluctuates from season to season. One year, Paul looks all-World, and the next he struggling with injuries. Kobe is consistently great, so if I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet against him.

4) Kobe has a huge amount of motivation next year. He's already talked about getting stronger. He'll have a new coach, and youc an be sure he's still looking for a 6th & 7th ring.

5) He's still the msot skilled player in the elague. So I'm sure will make the adjustment in the off-season that he needs to.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
nonemus
Banned User

Post#15 » by nonemus » Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 pm

All AUF brings up is accolades. That's all his pro-Kobe arguments ever are. That and arbitrary "skills".
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#16 » by JordansBulls » Wed May 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Depends on how many marquee guys are injured.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,514

Post#17 » by An Unbiased Fan » Wed May 18, 2011 7:38 pm

nonemus wrote:All AUF brings up is accolades. That's all his pro-Kobe arguments ever are. That and arbitrary "skills".

LOL, did you even read what I wrote? I brought up the accolades to show Kobe is consistently great. Most other players fluctuate year to year, so it stands to reason that Kobe has a great shot at Top 5 next year, especially considering how motivated he'll be.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
doremi
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by doremi » Wed May 18, 2011 7:40 pm

Maybe, if he tweaks his game a bit (i.e. operating more from the post). Of course, this would require a solid upgrade in the back court.
Iplaytolose
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#19 » by Iplaytolose » Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 pm

shobe_81 wrote:Do you think Kobe will be a top 5 player next season, will he even crack top 10? What's your list?

He declined a bit, but might it have to do with the wear and tear of three straight finals?

Here's my list:

1. Howard
2. Lebron
3. CP3
4. Wade
5. Rose
6. Durant
7. Kobe

How is Howard #1 and CP3 #3? Howard is arguable I guess, but you never know what you're going to get with CP3 from season to season. He played the best he's ever played this whole season in that series, and he's going to be a top 3 player next year? Uh no. He can be a top 3 player, but until he shows up like did in the Lakers series more consistently, then I don't think so. Wade is a toss up... I mean he's heading on the downside of his career, and considering his style of play, he won't be a top 5 player for maybe more than a year or two unless he reinvents himself, and this is also considering the new, young talent taking over in the league. I don't think Rose is a top 5 player yet either even though he's lurking. He's had a great year, but he hasn't proven enough for me to put him up there yet like other guys who's been consistent through years, which is what it takes to be a top 5 player, not just one good year. My point is that this is pure speculation. Kobe is still a 25/5/5 guy on a championship caliber team! He's not putting up these numbers with a bunch of scrubs. Yeah, his TEAM got swept, but he'll have more time than he's ever had in years to get healthy and come back stronger. Kobe could easily be top 5. There are too many factors that are dependent on other players success, and health being the biggest.
doctorfunk
Banned User

Post#20 » by doctorfunk » Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 pm

He might if he's 100% healthy and motivated, but i have a hunch rather see him as a top10 player next season, I also think he fell off top5 this season.

seems atm like top5

Lebron
Howard
Wade
Dirk
empty chair
................ going into top10
Rose
Durant
Kobe
some guy
some guy