Cancelled season draft: 5 year average with last year double

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Cancelled season draft: 5 year average with last year do 

Post#21 » by 5DOM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Here's what the NHL did:

The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#22 » by ImissJordan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:39 pm

mg wrote:There is not much of a chance the players go without paychecks for an entire season. Personally I see a 50 game season on the horizon. The negotiations will get serious after the players miss their first paychecks in mid November.

On the small chance the season is cancelled, my guess is David Stern will seed all of the teams in a lottery based on last season's records. In the NBA there is such a huge turnover in players, coaching staffs, GM's every year that you can't go back 3 or 5 seasons to do a fair lottery.

It should absolutely be based on last year's records...otherwise, like others have said, a team like Cleveland completely misses the chance to add a key piece around their young core. Miami, conversely, would secure a much higher pick than they deserve.
ImissJordan
General Manager

Post#23 » by ImissJordan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:42 pm

5DOM wrote:Here's what the NHL did:

The lottery was tilted so teams with fewer playoff appearances over the last three seasons and fewer number one overall picks over the last four seasons had a better chance of landing higher picks. The complete order was determined by the lottery, and the 2005 draft was conducted in a "snake" style, meaning in even rounds, the draft order was reversed. This system was an attempt to compromise between those who felt all teams should have had an equal chance at the first pick and those who felt only the weaker teams should have been in the running.

This NHL format isn't really a great model for Stern, in that one player won't make a difference the way one can in the NBA.
SDM
RealGM
And1: 951

Post#24 » by SDM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm

ImissJordan wrote:
5DOM wrote:Here's what the NHL did:

This NHL format isn't really a great model for Stern, in that one player won't make a difference the way one can in the NBA.

There's no reason why it wouldn't work.

As an aside, Crosby saved Pittsburgh. Ovechkin was such a gamebreaker that he was drafted before he was eligible, with a team hoping the league wouldn't notice. The Lindros trade consisted of a billion players being traded for one. Etc.
LoneyROY7
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#25 » by LoneyROY7 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 pm

Sorry to break the tune of sadness...but SWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT.

Clippers are looking at potentially the 1st AND 5th pick of a stacked draft.

Harrison Barnes and Marquis Teague sounds good.

PG Teague
SG Gordon
SF Barnes
PF Griffin
C DeAndre
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#26 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm

The rich get richer....

I would hope that they re-work this system if it comes to it... it's really not a fair way of doing things with all the player movements that have happened.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
ImissJordan
General Manager

Post#27 » by ImissJordan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:28 pm

SDM wrote:There's no reason why it wouldn't work.

As an aside, Crosby saved Pittsburgh. Ovechkin was such a gamebreaker that he was drafted before he was eligible, with a team hoping the league wouldn't notice. The Lindros trade consisted of a billion players being traded for one. Etc.

Didn't they also have Malkin, Fleury and a few other key pieces before/after the pick? (I don't watch much hockey anymore). In the NBA, you get one disgusting player and they could take you out of the top five entirely based on fielding five players and maybe a rotation of nine guys. Hockey has too many players for one guy to have as big an impact.

Hockey players also take longer to develop, no? I don't know, I just don't think the systems are similar enough to warrant the same draft process.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#28 » by theboomking » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:45 pm

mg wrote:There is not much of a chance the players go without paychecks for an entire season. Personally I see a 50 game season on the horizon. The negotiations will get serious after the players miss their first paychecks in mid November.

On the small chance the season is cancelled, my guess is David Stern will seed all of the teams in a lottery based on last season's records. In the NBA there is such a huge turnover in players, coaching staffs, GM's every year that you can't go back 3 or 5 seasons to do a fair lottery.

I agree with your first paragraph, and definitely think we will have a season.

The idea expressed in your second paragraph is probably fair, but doesn't account for the improvement that comes with having won the lotto the previous year. For example, what if Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson would have significantly improved the win-loss record for Cleveland this year?
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#29 » by Shimso » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:04 pm

SDM wrote:Raptors get screwed big time. We've drafted above #10 only twice in the last ten years and we somehow get #10.

Yeah, that'd really suck. The Raps are in a pretty crappy situation even if only the last 3 years are used.

I'd much rather have the draft seeded based on location from North to South :lol:
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,371

Post#30 » by tsherkin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:17 pm

The other part of our situation is that our management team and ownership both suck, vis a vis Toronto. I'd dearly love if Jay Triano woke up somehow completely incapable of fulfilling his duties as "head coach" of the Toronto Raptors, aka "Team Saboteur." Ugh. Hatez. He and BC can both go elsewhere...
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,555

Post#31 » by ropjhk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:28 pm

There should be more weight given to the most recent seasons.
jjin28
Rookie
And1: 127

Post#32 » by jjin28 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:38 pm

You just have to make it equal chances for all teams.

There's so much variables and reasons that a particular team would get screwed, so they just gotta make it equal chances. For example, teams like San Antonio, Lakers, Boston come to mind. All though they are elite teams, their franchise players such as Duncan, KG, Kobe, etc. are not getting any younger and their window of eliteness once those players are gone is very short and will have to rebuild once losing them.

So if the lockout occurs, they lose 1 year of these "old" players limited window.

And I just don't think it would be fair to say giving Cleveland 2 #1 picks 2 years in a row. Or like Minnesota a top 5 pick 2 years in a row.

Make it fair. That way, maybe my Lakers get a chance at an elite poing guard. :wink:
Tha Juice
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#33 » by Tha Juice » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I'll be furious if the Clippers get the number one overall pick (from MN) because of a canceled season.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#34 » by 5DOM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:04 pm

tsherkin wrote:The other part of our situation is that our management team and ownership both suck, vis a vis Toronto. I'd dearly love if Jay Triano woke up somehow completely incapable of fulfilling his duties as "head coach" of the Toronto Raptors, aka "Team Saboteur." Ugh. Hatez. He and BC can both go elsewhere...

Triano?
number15
Banned User
And1: 43

Post#35 » by number15 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 pm

if the whole season is lost.... do a lottery between all the non playoff teams from last season for top 10 picks.

then also do a lottery for the bottom draft team, the good teams for that season, all with the same odds.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,371

Post#36 » by tsherkin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

5DOM wrote:
tsherkin wrote:The other part of our situation is that our management team and ownership both suck, vis a vis Toronto. I'd dearly love if Jay Triano woke up somehow completely incapable of fulfilling his duties as "head coach" of the Toronto Raptors, aka "Team Saboteur." Ugh. Hatez. He and BC can both go elsewhere...

Triano?

*nods*

He's still technically involved with the team, even if Dwyane Casey is now our head coach.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#37 » by BossHoggin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 pm

We-Are-Lasers wrote:Lets just use 2007, miami can have first pick then heheh

Then the Cavs will swap picks with Miami
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,843

Post#38 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:22 pm

BossHoggin wrote:
We-Are-Lasers wrote:Lets just use 2007, miami can have first pick then heheh

Then the Cavs will swap picks with Miami

heheh
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,331

Post#39 » by Mattya » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:23 pm

If the lockout lasts all season I don't think they would have a draft. It all depends on timing though. Lets say the lockout ended next year around this time. They wouldn't be able to have a draft during a lockout. They can't talk to, with, or about players so Workouts, Interview and even the selection process. If they decided to do a draft I could see an equal lottery for all teams and have all owed picks delayed or have a tiered lotto with lotto teams all having equal chances. I don't know, nobody really knows. I think it would be more fun if the just decided to delay the draft. Have 2 drafts in 1. give each team two picks per round 60 picks or make it 4 rounds in 2013.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,613

Post#40 » by youngthegiant » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:09 pm

if we have a less than 50 game season- denver better tank that ****. i want anthony davis, or andre drummond,

Return to The General Board