Allen Iverson Wants NBA Comeback: "I'll play for anybody"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Re: Allen Iverson Wants NBA Comeback: "I'll play for anybody 

Post#101 » by JWiLL02 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:54 am

The only way I would cheer for a Heat championship is if it includes an Iverson comeback story.

I'm willing to bet he has more left in the tank than most are giving him credit for here. He'll still have those killer handles and I'm sure his quickness is still well above league average.

What I gather from his words is that he'd be willing to take a smaller role and defer to his team mates more now, so why not? I understand why it was hard for him the first time around, he was just a couple years removed from averaging 30ppg.
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#102 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:57 am

Again though, Miami has absolutely ZERO need for a player of his type, unless he's turned himself into Steve Kerr meets Gary Payton. They need a defensive PG who can stick 3s at a high percentage, then some other wing shooters and some frontcourt depth. And for Lebron to play more in the post.

They do not need a THIRD ball-handler, especially one with a middling jumper above the foul line.

EDIT: Boston or San Antonio would be interesting options. I'd have him here in Toronto to give me something to actually watch on our wretched team. Would be cool to see him on Indiana, or maybe the Clippers. Wouldn't mind seeing him in L.A. Could be interesting.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#103 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:59 am

Not an Iverson fan at all, but Brandon Jennings starts in this league and plays 35 mins a night. Even at his advanced age I'm pretty sure he could out-produce Jennings.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#104 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:02 am

AI is a cancer, i used to be his biggest fan, but ever team he goes to he b* that he's not starting and hasn't produced in while to deem so. love to watch him play again, but he's a iso player, which in this nba can't win.
Ian4
Starter
And1: 381

Post#105 » by Ian4 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:25 am

sign iverson to the raptors and make him 8-) the star
JWiLL02
RealGM
And1: 2,443

Post#106 » by JWiLL02 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:36 am

tsherkin wrote:Again though, Miami has absolutely ZERO need for a player of his type, unless he's turned himself into Steve Kerr meets Gary Payton. They need a defensive PG who can stick 3s at a high percentage, then some other wing shooters and some frontcourt depth. And for Lebron to play more in the post.

They do not need a THIRD ball-handler, especially one with a middling jumper above the foul line.

EDIT: Boston or San Antonio would be interesting options. I'd have him here in Toronto to give me something to actually watch on our wretched team. Would be cool to see him on Indiana, or maybe the Clippers. Wouldn't mind seeing him in L.A. Could be interesting.

You'd rather see him on Toronto taking the ball away from our youngins instead of down in Miami creating classic locker room headlines?

2K12 has you slipping Mr. Sherkin!
*Sig courtesy of Raptors' royalty 'Turbozone'. http://www.turbozone.ca"
hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#107 » by hourockman » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:07 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
tsherkin wrote:This would be meaningful if it wasn't blatant that Kobe was BS'g.

The Sixers lost 4-1 in that Finals, AI didn't "damn near cost [him] a championship," that's horsecrap.

lol, yeah losing 4-1 is never a moral victory, and when your one win came in Game 1 and there were no injuries, it essentially just means your opponent woke up after realizing you weren't quite as much of a joke as they thought you were.

I don't even think it was waking up. Lakers looked rusty after 11 days off and the OT loss could've swung either way. By the 4th game, they were stomping the Sixers like they did the other teams they faced. I think they had almost zero fear of the Sixer team.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:46 am

JWiLL02 wrote:You'd rather see him on Toronto taking the ball away from our youngins instead of down in Miami creating classic locker room headlines?

Our youngin's suck, so it's not actually a big deal. I'd rather see Miami succeed; AI in Miami would just be dumb, because he'd be adding to their core set of problems, which is to say, too many ball-handlers, not enough spacing or frontcourt depth. He's be the exact opposite of what the Heat need on their team (and that's not a knock on Iverson so much as a nod to their roster).
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,244

Post#109 » by Archerbro » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:00 am

tsherkin wrote:Riley should already come out of retirement, Spo is a horrible offensive coach.

tbh I don't think it's a mistake or miscue on what went on with their offense. Spo early on i think talked like when the heat get a stop they can freelance on offense, while if they allow a basket he calls plays.

To maximize and keep guys involved, I think giving wade and lebron "turns" is the only way to keep them in "tune." It's a bit hard to explain in writing, but having guys who need the ball in their hands alot, so give them it as much as possible.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:13 am

Archerbro wrote:tbh I don't think it's a mistake or miscue on what went on with their offense. Spo early on i think talked like when the heat get a stop they can freelance on offense, while if they allow a basket he calls plays.

He has stupid shift lengths and bad rotations. Some of the issue is with the roster and is, as such, independent of Spo. I know what you mean. Bron is ass-useless without the ball in his hands because he's an awful player away from the ball, and that's not Spo's fault. But this isn't new. He doesn't adjust well. For example, it took him the whole series to have the brilliant idea that Mike Bibby sucks against Dallas (slash sucks in general).

Now, this argument is relative; he'd be a competent coach for a mid-level team, but he's ass-tastic for a contending team because he's so rigid, slow to react and uncreative.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#111 » by shangrila » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:33 am

tsherkin wrote:
Archerbro wrote:tbh I don't think it's a mistake or miscue on what went on with their offense. Spo early on i think talked like when the heat get a stop they can freelance on offense, while if they allow a basket he calls plays.

He has stupid shift lengths and bad rotations. Some of the issue is with the roster and is, as such, independent of Spo. I know what you mean. Bron is ass-useless without the ball in his hands because he's an awful player away from the ball, and that's not Spo's fault. But this isn't new. He doesn't adjust well. For example, it took him the whole series to have the brilliant idea that Mike Bibby sucks against Dallas (slash sucks in general).

Now, this argument is relative; he'd be a competent coach for a mid-level team, but he's ass-tastic for a contending team because he's so rigid, slow to react and uncreative.

Agreed. There's huge issues with that roster, like no centres or decent backups, but Spo just doesn't seem able to adjust.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#112 » by TruSkool » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 am

Allen Iverson could be for the Lakers what Nick Van Exel was for the Mavericks.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by tsherkin » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:46 am

shangrila wrote:Agreed. There's huge issues with that roster, like no centres or decent backups, but Spo just doesn't seem able to adjust.

No doubt, but his minutes management evidences a complete lack of common sense, for example. I don't care if your backup is ME at the SF, you don't play a player 15 consecutive minutes on two different occasions PER GAME and expect him to have anything left in the tank after an entire playoff run of those types of shifts. I'm not excusing Lebron's passivity or anything, but that ish certainly didn't help.
Shook Ones
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#114 » by Shook Ones » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 pm

ya'll gotta admit, Iverson would be a great fit in Boston. can't wait to see Iverson in Celtic Green.

Shook Ones wrote:AI can't retire without a ring.

Welcome to Boston AI!

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#115 » by Manocad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:43 pm

jefe wrote:Same old song and dance from AI

Return to The General Board