Allen Iverson Wants NBA Comeback: "I'll play for anybody"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

ShabazzMuhammad
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Allen Iverson Wants NBA Comeback: "I'll play for anybody 

Post#21 » by ShabazzMuhammad » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:42 pm

It hurts me to hear Iverson say "I'll play for anybody" ... this is not how it should be.

I pray Kobe never hits rock bottom like AI. (no chance in hell).
Shook Ones
Bench Warmer
And1: 92

Post#22 » by Shook Ones » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 pm

AI can't retire without a ring.

Welcome to Boston AI!

hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#23 » by hourockman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:56 pm

MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:

But Iverson would be perfect with the Lakers with Kobe getting older and Fisher almost out the door and they are poised for one last 3 year run with Mike Brown who could handle him.

He would be ideal with the Lakers if he wanted to win now and blend in well. But if he would accept coming off the bench the Grizzlies of Magic might work.

As much instant hate as Mike Brown has gotten from much of the Laker base, he's gonna expect people to play defense. That nixes AI. Lakers are also short on consistent perimeter shooting. Nuff said there.
hourockman
Banned User

Post#24 » by hourockman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Shook Ones wrote:
Welcome to Boston AI!

Wondering if you recognize the name Dennis Johnson.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#25 » by tsherkin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

hourockman wrote:As much instant hate as Mike Brown has gotten from much of the Laker base, he's gonna expect people to play defense. That nixes AI. Lakers are also short on consistent perimeter shooting. Nuff said there.

Mike Brown gets hate because my parents' dog knows more about NBA offense than he does, but yeah, he's an elite defensive coach. Definitely learned from Pop.

Still, he did manage to get a bunch of remarkably average and mediocre players on the Cavs playing defense. I don't mean that's all Cleveland had, I mean they had some elite defensive talent pinning stuff down, but he put that system into place and coached the hell out of it, so everyone was playing pretty much at their maximum defensive level. I think he could mask AI and get Iverson playing decent defense. Especially with Pau/Bynum helping to back him up.
hourockman
Banned User

Post#26 » by hourockman » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

tsherkin wrote:
hourockman wrote:As much instant hate as Mike Brown has gotten from much of the Laker base, he's gonna expect people to play defense. That nixes AI. Lakers are also short on consistent perimeter shooting. Nuff said there.

Mike Brown gets hate because my parents' dog knows more about NBA offense than he does, but yeah, he's an elite defensive coach. Definitely learned from Pop.

Still, he did manage to get a bunch of remarkably average and mediocre players on the Cavs playing defense. I don't mean that's all Cleveland had, I mean they had some elite defensive talent pinning stuff down, but he put that system into place and coached the hell out of it, so everyone was playing pretty much at their maximum defensive level. I think he could mask AI and get Iverson playing decent defense. Especially with Pau/Bynum helping to back him up.

I don't think AI has the body to play the type of defense that we would need. He's 36 yrs old in terms of quickness. Fish ain't nothin to write home about except in very specific circumstances, but I'm surprised you'd consider Iverson. I'd rather go back to Ty Lue w/ the cornrows and headband.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#27 » by orangeparka » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Not this **** again.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tsherkin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:21 pm

hourockman wrote:I don't think AI has the body to play the type of defense that we would need. He's 36 yrs old in terms of quickness. Fish ain't nothin to write home about except in very specific circumstances, but I'm surprised you'd consider Iverson. I'd rather go back to Ty Lue w/ the cornrows and headband.

Honestly, the Lakers have played with HORRENDOUSLY poor primary PG defense for years, and it hasn't been a huge issue. 36 year-old AI would be better than Fisher has been this entire century (haha! for hyperbole!). Seriously, though, during and after the three-peat, Fisher has been really bad at man D, partially because you can't really straight-up defend PGs in this era. That went out the door in 04-05. So it's not like he's gonna make things WORSE than what they've already been. And he'd give the team a little more punch. The question is, can he stick open 3s, pass within whatever system Brown tries to use, and will he be happy 30 games into the season when he's taking like 6 shots per game?
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,840

Post#29 » by mcfly1204 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I would like to see take on JJ Barea's role in Dallas if the do not resign him.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#30 » by 83SixersRocked » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm

At his last NBA stop, he changed people's opinion of him in Philly. Jrue Holiday felt more comfortable having AI on the court, as well. He did a good job. Having said that, his D won't be getting any better, as somebody said above. I don't think he'd do well in Minnesota, but he showed could still be effective as a scorer off the bench (two ears ago). He's a fit on an NBA team somewhere.
Thugonomics
Junior
And1: 1

Post#31 » by Thugonomics » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:41 pm

yaaar wrote:Does this remind anyone else of that scene in the alley in the movie Menace to Society?

^ no. You need to watch that movie again

83SixersRocked wrote:At his last NBA stop, he changed people's opinion of him in Philly. Jrue Holiday felt more comfortable having AI on the court, as well. He did a good job. Having said that, his D won't be getting any better, as somebody said above. I don't think he'd do well in Minnesota, but he showed could still be effective as a scorer off the bench (two ears ago). He's a fit on an NBA team somewhere.

^ people didn't watch him there they just want to talk nonsense
guy1
Sixth Man
And1: 117

Post#32 » by guy1 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:43 pm

83SixersRocked wrote:At his last NBA stop, he changed people's opinion of him in Philly. Jrue Holiday felt more comfortable having AI on the court, as well. He did a good job. Having said that, his D won't be getting any better, as somebody said above. I don't think he'd do well in Minnesota, but he showed could still be effective as a scorer off the bench (two ears ago). He's a fit on an NBA team somewhere.

This. I don't think its a matter of can he accept a lesser role. Its more about his personal issues off the court now.
FullCapacity
Junior
And1: 0

Post#33 » by FullCapacity » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:50 pm

nm
AshyLarry
Starter
And1: 216

Post#34 » by AshyLarry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:13 pm

people can change, and he looks like he want change, problem is A) is he willing to come off the bench and be a role player in the twilight of his career B) even if he does accept his role, is he going to have issues off the court C) we know hes broke, how much money does he want? if he wants a lot then bang, there goes cap space.id rather have him than Tmac thats for sure.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#35 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm

AshyLarry wrote:.id rather have him than Tmac thats for sure.

I wouldn't.

We know T-mac will play for the min, and even though he is a shell of himself, he is serviceable.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
AshyLarry
Starter
And1: 216

Post#36 » by AshyLarry » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:

I wouldn't.

We know T-mac will play for the min, and even though he is a shell of himself, he is serviceable.

theyre both drama queens, and theyre both chuckers but AI can stay alot healthier than tmac, plus, with Tmac you can get scoring, with AI you can get scoring and playmaking (if he wants to). thats why i got AI over tmac at this point
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by tsherkin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:35 pm

AshyLarry wrote:theyre both drama queens, and theyre both chuckers but AI can stay alot healthier than tmac, plus, with Tmac you can get scoring, with AI you can get scoring and playmaking (if he wants to). thats why i got AI over tmac at this point

Actually, T-Mac has been showcasing his playmaking for years, and even in his minimum-contract role with the Pistons, we were seeing him make the team far more effective on offense with his playmaking and WITHOUT gunning.
Spurtatcus
Starter
And1: 29

Post#38 » by Spurtatcus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Now that Hill is gone I think he could be a decent backup for Parker for 10-15 minutes a game, although Popovich won't want this guy anywhere near San Antonio
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#39 » by Thugger HBC » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:41 pm

AshyLarry wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

I wouldn't.

theyre both drama queens, and theyre both chuckers but AI can stay alot healthier than tmac, plus, with Tmac you can get scoring, with AI you can get scoring and playmaking (if he wants to). thats why i got AI over tmac at this point

At this stage health isn't an issue because neither would play major minutes.

And you pick Iverson or T-mac because of playmaking?

Hmmm.......
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#40 » by dVs33 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:43 pm

AshyLarry wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

I wouldn't.

You obviously didn't see TMac last season. I don't blame you, you're not the only one.

tmac was very effective playing play maker on offense and was a willing distributor. he understands his limitations physically, but he remained effective just using his smarts.
tmac is a much better option than A.I. now. A.I. is done. What happened last time A.I. brought up this drivel in memphis?? even in detroit...?? he's done.

Return to The General Board