Everyone who is for fully guaranteed contracts watch this

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Everyone who is for fully guaranteed contracts watch thi 

Post#21 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:08 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Paco wrote:Not fully guaranteed contracts, but if the owners are willing to shell out the money then they should be required to pay a certain amount of the contract. "You've made your bed, now sleep in it."

Thats absurd, the owners HAVE to shell out in order to compete. Dampier brought himself to a level that put him in a specific pay bracket, got paid then sat back and collected. When you're trying to compete you can't take a chance on wether or not a guy is a contract player, an owner has to put a competative product on the floor.

Players need to get some moral and work ethic, if anything he's the prime example of why the players dont care about the game. I dont care what owners paid him before they're trying to fix it now now and of course the players want to keep the system in place that allows them to essentially cheat and steal their way into millions.

The Knicks had to pay Jerome James and Eddy Curry massive amounts of money to compete? My team was in cap hell for years and we couldn't do a damn thing about it until Donnie came and saved our asses. The Magic had to max out Rashard Lewis? Lol...c'mon dude.

If you reread my post, I said that they should not be fully guaranteed BUT a certain amount of it should be -- similar to a signing bonus in the NFL. Having non-guaranteed contracts gives owners, and management, a get out of jail free card which IMO they should not have. Managing one's cap situation is part of the game. It's also possible that because players would be then playing on a year-to-year basis they would be playing for themselves rather than the team (and thus, the quality of the game would diminish).
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#22 » by thelead » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:12 am

Paco wrote: If you reread my post, I said that they should not be fully guaranteed BUT a certain amount of it should be -- similar to a signing bonus in the NFL. Having non-guaranteed contracts gives owners, and management, a get out of jail free card which IMO they should not have. Managing one's cap situation is part of the game. It's also possible that because players would be then playing on a year-to-year basis they would be playing for themselves rather than the team (and thus, the quality of the game would diminish).

This is why I say, let it count against the cap but not pay the player. Cut players are free to sign anywhere else for whatever they're able to get.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#23 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:16 am

thelead wrote:
Paco wrote: If you reread my post, I said that they should not be fully guaranteed BUT a certain amount of it should be -- similar to a signing bonus in the NFL. Having non-guaranteed contracts gives owners, and management, a get out of jail free card which IMO they should not have. Managing one's cap situation is part of the game. It's also possible that because players would be then playing on a year-to-year basis they would be playing for themselves rather than the team (and thus, the quality of the game would diminish).

This is why I say, let it count against the cap but not pay the player. Cut players are free to sign anywhere else for whatever they're able to get.

So the players would still get a portion of it from the BRI? I still think having a percentage that must be paid, let's say 50%, is better. Even though it does count against the cap, I don't like the idea of giving owners free passes -- if they made a mistake signing someone/trading for someone, they should have to live with (at least some of) the consequences.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#24 » by thelead » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:23 am

Paco wrote:
thelead wrote:

So the players would still get a portion of it from the BRI? I still think having a percentage that must be paid, let's say 50%, is better. Even though it does count against the cap, I don't like the idea of giving owners free passes -- if they made a mistake signing someone/trading for someone, they should have to live with (at least some of) the consequences.

Maybe they can do 25% of contract is paid upfront as guaranteed advance/signing bonus. Someone on a $50 mil contract that sucks gets to collect $12.5 mil right off the bat. Sounds fair to me if they decide to quit once they've signed their deal. If cut, 75% of the contract is counted towards the cap.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#25 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:25 am

thelead wrote:Maybe they can do 25% of contract is paid upfront as guaranteed advance/signing bonus. Someone on a $50 mil contract that sucks gets to collect $12.5 mil right off the bat. Sounds fair to me if they decide to quit once they've signed their deal. If cut, 75% of the contract is counted towards the cap.

Bingo --> something similar to the NFL's system. I think that's fair for players, owners, and the front office of teams.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#26 » by Wizardspride » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:32 am

sanitylaker wrote:Well

If the players want a bonus for young guys in the rookie scale playing amazingly (Rose, Griffin, Westbrook, etc), they should let the league include a tool to not pay under-performing players like Dampier, Curry and Arenas.

It's unbelievable the drop off that those players had after they got paid

With all due respect, Arenas shouldn't be lumped in with the likes of Dampier and Curry.

Its obvious why Arenas' game has fallen off.....
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#27 » by MAQ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:37 am

Wizardspride wrote:
sanitylaker wrote:Well

If the players want a bonus for young guys in the rookie scale playing amazingly (Rose, Griffin, Westbrook, etc), they should let the league include a tool to not pay under-performing players like Dampier, Curry and Arenas.

It's unbelievable the drop off that those players had after they got paid

With all due respect, Arenas shouldn't be lumped in with the likes of Dampier and Curry.

Its obvious why Arenas' game has fallen off.....

Agreed, Arenas should be lumped in with Lewis in the "WTF was that owner/GM thinking" category.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
D-31
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#28 » by D-31 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:42 am

Lakerfan17 wrote:This whole "control themselves" is NONSENSE. Wanna know why?

THE CBA GUARANTEES A PERCENTAGE TO THE PLAYERS. If it's not spent in contracts the owners have to refund them that money ANYWAY.

AND IF THE OWNERS SPEND MORE ON CONTRACTS THEY GET MONEY BACK.

Cuban and their front office decided it was better to pay Dampier over Nash. That's their problem not the CBA.

But I guess a Center shooting 39% for the season and scoring 7 points in a game against the Lakers is proof the CBA is broken. :-?

Return to The General Board