WT: Bulls closing in on Rip ($10m, 2 years)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

WT: Bulls closing in on Rip ($10m, 2 years) 

Post#1 » by orangeparka » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:57 am

Richard Hamilton is nearing a deal with the Bulls, according to multiple reports.

Hamilton is expected to sign a two-year contract for about $10 million once his contract officially has been bought out by the Pistons.

Wonder how it'll affect his buy-out. Good pickup by the Bulls, I question the amount of money though. Do they have the BAE for other roster additions?
laker
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: WT: Bulls closing in on Rip ($10m, 2 years) 

Post#2 » by laker » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:01 am

in b4 pistons don't buy him out
rocketsballin
RealGM
And1: 354

Post#3 » by rocketsballin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:06 am

in before angry laker fans somehow kill this thread with the chris paul trade
orangeparka
Head Coach

Post#4 » by orangeparka » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:51 pm

I wonder if Pistons will deduct the $10m from their buyout.
ImissJordan
General Manager
And1: 968

Post#5 » by ImissJordan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:53 pm

Very clean fit. I love this signing for Chicago.
TRWJINC
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by TRWJINC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Rotation of

Rose - CJ
Rip - Brewer - Bogans?
Deng - Korver - Butler
Boozer - Gibson
Noah - Asik - Thomas?

pretty solid group. However if we don't get Dwight i would love to get a impact player for the bench. Would love somebody like JR Smith in march.
orangeparka
Head Coach

Post#7 » by orangeparka » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:57 pm

TRWJINC wrote:Rotation of

Rose - CJ
Rip - Brewer - Bogans?
Deng - Korver - Butler
Boozer - Gibson
Noah - Asik - Thomas?

pretty solid group. However if we don't get Dwight i would love to get a impact player for the bench. Would love somebody like JR Smith in march.

Although Rip would use up the MLE, wouldn't he? And with Rose's extension next season, they'll only have the mini-MLE every year after, I think.
stephGRAHAMbury
Banned User

Post#8 » by stephGRAHAMbury » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:58 pm

It needs to be noted that Chi-Ville is not getting the Rip of old this Rip doesn't run around screens that often and is more of an isolation scorer, now hopefully for Ch-Ville's sake ThiboDOOM can convince Rip to play more like old rip and not old age rip but I guess we see...
TRWJINC
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by TRWJINC » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:00 pm

Depends if JR pays luxury tax which i doubt he would. One of the worst owners in the nba.

Just think we need another impact scorer off the bench. VC would have been perfect however he seems headed to dallas.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#10 » by princeofpalace » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:01 pm

orangeparka wrote:I wonder if Pistons will deduct the $10m from their buyout.

Detroit only bought him out for 8 million
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Post#11 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:07 pm

stephGRAHAMbury wrote:It needs to be noted that Chi-Ville is not getting the Rip of old this Rip doesn't run around screens that often and is more of an isolation scorer, now hopefully for Ch-Ville's sake ThiboDOOM can convince Rip to play more like old rip and not old age rip but I guess we see...

Why are you still calling it Chi-ville.
stephGRAHAMbury
Banned User

Post#12 » by stephGRAHAMbury » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:
stephGRAHAMbury wrote:It needs to be noted that Chi-Ville is not getting the Rip of old this Rip doesn't run around screens that often and is more of an isolation scorer, now hopefully for Ch-Ville's sake ThiboDOOM can convince Rip to play more like old rip and not old age rip but I guess we see...

Because that's word on the street?
drivewayball
Suspended
And1: 68

Post#13 » by drivewayball » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:01 pm

The only NBA fans that fear the acquisition of Hamilton are the Bulls' fans. A waste of time and money for the Bulls.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#14 » by 6_Rings » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:06 pm

with the signing of Eddy 'Big FLAVA' Curry, this is moot. :D
El Turco wrote:Nothing wrong with men shaking their ass while other men in tights jump on top of each other.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,631

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:18 pm

Too much money for old man Rip IMO.
LaLa
Banned User
And1: 202

Post#16 » by LaLa » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:25 pm

rocketsballin wrote:in before angry laker fans somehow kill this thread with the chris paul trade

The hell does that have to do with Rip Hamilton wtf? Stop trolling. :lol:

Perfect pickup for the Bulls. Hes a vet, a proven winner, still a starting caliber player, and doesn't need the ball to be effective (one of the best at it). Don't know about that contract though since hes still getting paid by that buy-out from Detroit.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#17 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:24 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:Too much money for old man Rip IMO.

The Bulls would have been better off acquiring Nick Young or Arron Afflalo for that money investment IMO.

Nick Young is 25 years old, can volume score efficiently, and has a lot more athleticism and defends IMO better than Richard Hamilton, who is 33. Arron Afflalo is an excellent pure shooter with only one real flaw--too unselfish. He would have been good for the Bulls in the same ways JJ Reddick has been for Orlando.

Hamilton's game diminished when the Pistons traded Chauncey Billups. His numbers the last three years look similar to his numbers his first three seasons with the Washington Wizards. When Billups and IIRC Rasheed Wallace left, Hamilton's FG% and 3PT% both went down significantly, and thus his PER and Win Score/48 numbers really tanked.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... lri01.html

Hamilton's game isn't suffering IMO. He needs an offense and great players around him that enable him to play to his strength of moving off the ball. That also keeps Rip's shooting percentages up. I believe there is a good possibility Hamilton will shoot well with Rose like he did playing with Billups.

The downside of Richard Hamilton is his games played trend since 2005: 80, 75, 72, 67, 46 55

I expect Hamilton to play exceptionally well for the Bulls.

Looking at his 2010-2011 splits I see Hamilton scored over 30 seven times, including going for 38 against Miami. Rip scored 43 in one game. Twenty-two games he was over 20. As with last seasons games, I expect Hamilton's shot will be erratic at times. However, with Rose carrying the Bulls offense, Boozer reliable inside, and Deng reliable outside; I don't expect Hamilton's shot to be nearly as erratic. If anything, he'll get back his three point shooting percentage near 40%. I expect Rip's strong passing to greatly improve the Bulls offense down the stretch of games. Rip's game should be a great fit in Chicago and they should expect him to shoot better than he has in several years.

The question is can Rip Hamilton stay healthy?
Bye bye Beal.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#18 » by Vertical Limit » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:48 pm

stephGRAHAMbury wrote:
Tim_Hardawayy wrote:

Because that's word on the street?

Is it really that hard for you to type Chicago?
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,565

Post#19 » by ropjhk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I think it's a good fit for the Bulls. Rip still has plenty of game left in him. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to play like a not so rich man's Ray Allen or Reggie Miller when those guys were the same age. For Rip, much of his struggles were due to the toxic relationship that had formed with the Pistons.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#20 » by boogydown » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:03 pm

orangeparka wrote:Although Rip would use up the MLE, wouldn't he? And with Rose's extension next season, they'll only have the mini-MLE every year after, I think.

They will have the Full MLE if they cut two of Korver, Brewer, or Watson

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Bulls would have been better off acquiring Nick Young or Arron Afflalo for that money investment IMO.?

First off, they will cost double the price
Second off, they would be matched

End result, Bulls get nothing this offseason because you foolishly think they can bid on restricted free agents.

UssjTrunks wrote:Too much money for old man Rip IMO.

Actually it's fair value.

drivewayball wrote:The only NBA fans that fear the acquisition of Hamilton are the Bulls' fans. A waste of time and money for the Bulls.

So the Bulls shouldn't sign anyone?

TRWJINC wrote:Depends if JR pays luxury tax which i doubt he would. One of the worst owners in the nba.

You're only saying this because you're emotionally crippled right now. Just because someone doesn't want to pay the luxury tax this season, doesn't make him one of the worst owners in the NBA. Maybe he knows what he is doing considering he just won the White Sox a title and has a proven track record?

As for not paying the tax, he already said he would. However, I agree that this season there is no reason he should go over the tax limit so I support JR 100% here.

TRWJINC wrote:Just think we need another impact scorer off the bench. VC would have been perfect however he seems headed to dallas.

So who starts? Bogans?

Rip is being signed so he can start. VC type players are easier to find via trade.

Think before you type, please.

TRWJINC wrote:Would love somebody like JR Smith in march.

That's who the Bulls would have signed if he didn't go to China. Maybe he will take 2.5 million to finish the season here so we can resign him next year.

Return to The General Board