WT: Magic Want BOTH Bynum and Gasol For Howard

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: WT: Magic Want BOTH Bynum and Gasol For Howard 

Post#121 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:I too have been pointing out how his injury was a freak accident that could've happened to anyone. As a 7 footer you're always going to be vulnerable to guys crashing into your legs. And as far as we've seen, he looked completely healed from it.

But something you guys miss is that it very well could be Bynum's knee structure that contributed to those injuries. I.E., maybe a different guy gets hit in the exact same way and only sprains the knee or doesn't get hurt at all.

There have been numerous reports, including comments from our own trainer, that Bynum has a body structure and running gait that makes him vulnerable to injuries. Which is why he has a history with them going all the way back to high school.

Look at Shaq. He played four times as many seasons as Andrew, and he never had an injury like that. He did, however, have toe and feet problems, resulting from his unique body structure. Kareem was one of the most durable athletes of all time, while Bill Walton and Yao Ming repeatedly broke down. Each athlete is unique to what they can and can't handle.

So I think it's way too easy to blow those injuries off as fluke happenings. He's going to have to get at least 2-3 full seasons under his belt before he sheds the "injury-prone" tag.

All that said, I'm in the same corner in regards to sticking with him and Gasol rather than moving them for Howard. I just don't see the point now that we've gotten rid of Odom for nothing. Neither moves are all overaly appetizing after that, but at this point I think I'd rather roll the dice that Andrew can stay healthy.

Yeah the predisposed condition is called knock-kneed, but that was in regards to his patella dislocating. The MCL tear was a result of someone crashing in his legs. Even Karl Malone who played 20 seasons and only missed 7 games eventually suffered the same injury in the same fashion. It's rare, but it happens.

Shaq is one of the greatest physical freaks of nature not only in basketball but all of mankind, so that's probably not a fair comparison. Ditto Kareem.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
hourockman
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#122 » by hourockman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:48 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:Shaq is one of the greatest physical freaks of nature not only in basketball but all of mankind, so that's probably not a fair comparison. Ditto Kareem.

Shaq had major surgery in 97 with us. Landed on someone's foot. Cast and wheelchair job, 30 gms.
-Spyda-
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#123 » by -Spyda- » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:51 pm

Pau Gasol $18,714,150
Andrew Bynum $14,900,000
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Devin Ebanks $788,872

for

Howard $18,091,770
H. Turkoglu $11,015,850
J. Nelson $8,600,000

+ -
Book it.
Dat Pass
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Post#124 » by Dat Pass » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:53 pm

-LBJ- wrote:Pau Gasol $18,714,150
Andrew Bynum $14,900,000
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Devin Ebanks $788,872

for

Howard $18,091,770
H. Turkoglu $11,015,850
J. Nelson $8,600,000

+ -
Book it.

God I hope not.
jordanisbetter
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#125 » by jordanisbetter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:55 pm

The only way LA will get D12 is if LA sends out Bynum + Gasol, because just one of the two is not equal to D12's value.

Adding in Martin/Scola/Drajic (or a combination) + either Bynum or Gasol to Orlando will, IMO, be fair value for Howard, FOR ORLANDO.

But from the Lakers standpoint, how will they get houston to ship off martin/scola/dragic? The only way I see fit is to ship Gasol or Bynum to Houston.

Not sure about salary, but I think if we are talking about Houston, Orlando, and LA the following trade seems to be the only one plausible. Especially after ODOM was traded.

LA gets: Howard, Turkaglu
HOU gets: Gasol
Orl gets: Bynum, Scola, Martin, Dragic

IMO, this trade still isn't fair since D12's value is basically unmatchable....I think if LA + ORL were the only teams trading (no houston), then this would be fair:

Orl gets: Bynum, Gasol

This is as close to a fair trade for Howard.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#126 » by Leto » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:01 pm

-LBJ- wrote:Pau Gasol $18,714,150
Andrew Bynum $14,900,000
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Devin Ebanks $788,872

for

Howard $18,091,770
H. Turkoglu $11,015,850
J. Nelson $8,600,000

+ -
Book it.

Gasol has a 15% trade kicker so he'll be making 22 mil perseason. Yum. Having said that, I can't see the Magic wanting that contract.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#127 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:07 pm

jordanisbetter wrote:The only way LA will get D12 is if LA sends out Bynum + Gasol, because just one of the two is not equal to D12's value.

Adding in Martin/Scola/Drajic (or a combination) + either Bynum or Gasol to Orlando will, IMO, be fair value for Howard, FOR ORLANDO.

But from the Lakers standpoint, how will they get houston to ship off martin/scola/dragic? The only way I see fit is to ship Gasol or Bynum to Houston.

Not sure about salary, but I think if we are talking about Houston, Orlando, and LA the following trade seems to be the only one plausible. Especially after ODOM was traded.

IMO, this trade still isn't fair since D12's value is basically unmatchable....I think if LA + ORL were the only teams trading (no houston), then this would be fair:

Orlando isn't going to get a fair trade for Howard, no matter how bad everyone wants to see the Lakers sell the farm. You can't get equal value for a superstar. If Dwight isn't going to re-sign, then Orlando will either have to let him walk, or take the best deal on the table. Even if the Lakers don't make a deal, they're still going to be a very good team.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
jordanisbetter
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#128 » by jordanisbetter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:15 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
jordanisbetter wrote:The only way LA will get D12 is if LA sends out Bynum + Gasol, because just one of the two is not equal to D12's value.

Orlando isn't going to get a fair trade for Howard, no matter how bad everyone wants to see the Lakers sell the farm. You can't get equal value for a superstar. If Dwight isn't going to re-sign, then Orlando will either have to let him walk, or take the best deal on the table. Even if the Lakers don't make a deal, they're still going to be a very good team.

Then I guess the question is, can anybody else offer a better deal?

NJ? I don't follow them much so I'm not really sure what they have to offer.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#129 » by doozyj » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:42 pm

NJ wont get him either, with the possible tampering charges. Stern is on a power trip and probably excercise that as well.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#130 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:00 pm

ViNNNsanity wrote:Blow it up. It's over. Couldnt even get passed the 1st round. Team is complete garbage.

Get your facts straight. We lost in the semi finals
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#131 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Kal El wrote:Lakers fans as a whole are complete idiots. Of course not all of you but the ones that aren't you have the admit the rest of you are pretty dumb.

All I hear is a bunch of whining, wah wah wah we won't have a big 3... what big 3? It was Kobe and Gasol. Gasol is aging and is not a center. Bynum is vastly overrated, how many games does he even play and how many has he made an impact in a playoff game other than being a big tall long guy in the middle. Now you get to have a tandem of Kobe and Dwight Howard, the best center in the game. Howard will affect the whole culture of the lakers defensively. You get the guy that will be a presence in the defensive end that neither Gasol nor Bynum could have ever brought to L.A. even as a tandem. Offensively you get a physical presence in the post, that neither a finesse powerforward in Gasol could bring and neither the pedestrian center in Bynum could bring. Remember the last time Kobe was paired with the best center in the league? Yeah it was a 3 peat. Granted you don't expect Howard to carry the load the way Shaq did but building around Kobe and Dwight Howard would be a dream for any franchise. It's sad that everybody feels they have to have 3 superstars to be successful in this league. That's why the appeal of the NBA is diminishing.

Last I checked, a 33 year Dirk Nowitzki along with a bunch of name guys over the hill and out of their prime beat the next big thing, the 3 superstars wade-lebron-bosh. What was the biggest difference? It wasn't the guards wade or kidd, it wasn't the forwards lebron, bosh, or dirk and marion... the biggest difference was defensively dallas had a decent center in tyson chandler... miami had joel anthony.

Check your PM. Do not insult fan bases as it is considered baiting. You can just as easily make your argument without writing your first paragraph. The new rules have explicitly made clear that insulting fan bases is a violation.

UGA Hayes

FYI Bynum was awesome last playoffs. Only him & Kobe showed up & Bynum easily the 1st round MVP. Sounds like most of you are Bynum haters.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
Blue Ninja
Assistant Coach
And1: 798

Post#132 » by Blue Ninja » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Id do it and try to get David West before the Pacer deal is complete.

Getting Dwight is big.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM

Post#133 » by Anklebreaker702 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:27 pm

hourockman wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Look at Shaq. He played four times as many seasons as Andrew, and he never had an injury like that. He did, however, have toe and feet problems, resulting from his unique body structure. Kareem was one of the most durable athletes of all time, while Bill Walton and Yao Ming repeatedly broke down. Each athlete is unique to what they can and can't handle.

So I think it's way too easy to blow those injuries off as fluke happenings.

Shaq injured multiple parts of his knee in 97 when he went up for a rebound at MIN and the toe of his shoe came down on the heel of Dean Garrett. Missed 31 gms, major surgery. That was a fluke injury, Bynum has had the same luck twice.

The bigger issue to me is the still mysterious injury he had a couple yrs ago where there was no footage of the injury itself. Swelling in his knees, hobbling around, etc. His biggest contribution in the 2010 Finals was landing on Bubba Perkins. That's the kind of thing he goes thru that makes me nervous about him, not when he lands on someone's foot.

Finally someone with some sense about those bogus never to be seen again type injuries.
VETERAN LAKER FAN
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,784

Post#134 » by G35 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:35 pm

It's true that Gasol or Bynum for Howard is not enough. But Gasol and Bynum for Howard is too much.

They need to include either a 3rd or 4th team to throw in some other chips. The Lakers aren't any better with Howard/Kobe than they are now. Giving up both means now they need a PG/PF and a SF imo. The only thing they would have is Kobe and Dwight. They would probably be 2nd round or possibly 1st round KO's for the next 2 or 3 years with low draft picks. Kobe retires and Dwight is right back where he started.

Now Magic fans would like that but hopefully Kupchak isn't that dumb.....
I'm so tired of the typical......
Harrison Barnes
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#135 » by Harrison Barnes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:44 pm

like i said its either bynum + gasol or im shipping him to the nets
bjax24
Veteran
And1: 37

Post#136 » by bjax24 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:50 pm

G35 wrote:Now Magic fans would like that but hopefully Kupchak isn't that dumb.....

Luke Walton and Kwame say "sup"
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#137 » by Ballings7 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Gasol's playoffs last year were an aberration, the guy was fatigued after a whole lot of basketball from summer to summer. He's still the best overall PF in the game, and #2 big in the game.

People really have a short memory and jump to conclusions quick - it's a typical flaw in human thought processing.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,066

Post#138 » by poeman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Salary needs to match...This is the only way the Lakers get Howard
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,100

Post#139 » by therealbig3 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 pm

I think it's a bad deal for the Lakers. You basically lose Odom, Gasol, and Bynum (aka your entire front court) for Howard. He's good, but he's not worth all three of those guys. If they needed to get rid of Odom, they should have tried to package him and Bynum together for Howard, that would have been a great deal, and you would have been left with Kobe, Gasol, and Howard, which is awesome.

But this way, you basically lose your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best players for one guy...not worth it.

And I don't think it would be a good move for Howard either. It would be you and Kobe, and then a bunch of crap. Then after Kobe retires in a couple of years, it's you and a bunch of crap, just like with Orlando. Obviously, it's the Lakers, so I don't think they'll keep you surrounded with a bad team, but there's definitely no guarantee for being on a big time contender.
High0ctane21
Lead Assistant
And1: 538

Post#140 » by High0ctane21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:05 am

Agreed. If you're trading all the bigs for Howard, there has to be a secondary trade in the works. Perhaps that Milsapp to the Lakers trade has some legs afterall.

Return to The General Board