Kobe angry about odom trade

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Re: Kobe angry about odom trade 

Post#41 » by shangrila » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:40 am

Original Baller wrote:
devmil wrote:
So he didn't legally do anything. He Protested. What's wrong with protesting?

Once again legally if his protesting influenced Stern's decision, then that would be collusion and ILLEGAL. Which is pretty much what happened.

It's not though. Lawfully, collusion is when one or more people have a secret understanding to gain something illegally. What did Cuban (or Gilbert) gain from vetoing the Paul trade? Nothing.

People really need to quit with this conspiracy BS. The trade got vetoed because the Hornets were taking on a LOT of extra salary (meaning all the other owners would have been paying more).
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#42 » by INKtastic » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 am

http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#43 » by Mamba Venom » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:25 am

The trade should have been Bynum, LO + 2 1st round picks and Character for Howard and bad contract Turk

Odom's 8.9 deal was a bargain. We WERE the best in the West after Chandler left. Now ug... its still Dallas and Mitch and Buss want to blow it all up. How stupid.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,511

Post#44 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:28 am

INKtastic wrote:Image

Wow, that's a great picture :lol:
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#45 » by dballislife » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:29 am

odom is sad
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#46 » by Frank Mulely » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:37 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Odom wrote his own ticket, he got too content. Even if they didn't trade him chances were they probably weren't going to pick up his option going into next season. And even when that contract was negotiated, he played hardball with Dr.Buss. The first deal offered to him was actually better than the deal he end up signing.But it is what it is.....gotta move on.

between buss punking him on his contract and his prenup its safe to assume odom does not have a future as a contract negotiator :lol:
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#47 » by eagles nut » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

shangrila wrote:
Original Baller wrote:
devmil wrote:
So he didn't legally do anything. He Protested. What's wrong with protesting?

Once again legally if his protesting influenced Stern's decision, then that would be collusion and ILLEGAL. Which is pretty much what happened.

It's not though. Lawfully, collusion is when one or more people have a secret understanding to gain something illegally. What did Cuban (or Gilbert) gain from vetoing the Paul trade? Nothing.

People really need to quit with this conspiracy BS. The trade got vetoed because the Hornets were taking on a LOT of extra salary (meaning all the other owners would have been paying more).

Try reading the actual CBA. It's debatably collusion according to the the express terms of the CBA. It depends on exactly how Article XIV, Section 1, Part e. is interpreted. I'll let you do the google search to look it up.
Jordan45822
RealGM
And1: 1,796

Post#48 » by Jordan45822 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:42 pm

No Deng, No Deal.

As Lakers fans would say.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,070

Post#49 » by shangrila » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 pm

eagles nut wrote:Try reading the actual CBA. It's debatably collusion according to the the express terms of the CBA. It depends on exactly how Article XIV, Section 1, Part e. is interpreted. I'll let you do the google search to look it up.

I tried looking for it and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm (Please Use More Appropriate Word), but if you want me to get up on a high horse alongside you you'll have to give me a link.

Regardless, if its debatable then its not clear cut collusion. The guy I quoted seemed to be implying that someone like Paul would have a legitimate case in court. He wouldn't.
TRWJINC
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#50 » by TRWJINC » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Kobe should demand a trade to chicago again.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#51 » by eagles nut » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:59 pm

shangrila wrote:
eagles nut wrote:Try reading the actual CBA. It's debatably collusion according to the the express terms of the CBA. It depends on exactly how Article XIV, Section 1, Part e. is interpreted. I'll let you do the google search to look it up.

I tried looking for it and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm (Please Use More Appropriate Word), but if you want me to get up on a high horse alongside you you'll have to give me a link.

Regardless, if its debatable then its not clear cut collusion. The guy I quoted seemed to be implying that someone like Paul would have a legitimate case in court. He wouldn't.

He'd have a case in course. It wouldn't be open-and-shut. I have to go to work and I don't have time to write out the exact text from the CBA. It's a PDF file and you can't cut-and-paste from it.

Basically it says that any team or its agent can't engage in any combinatations or conspiracies, explicit or implied, with another team or its agent or the NBA itself that affects - and then it lists 5 categories, the first 4 directly about unrestricted free agents , draft picks, and RFAs. The last one is e)the terms and conditions offered to any Veteran or rookie. The debate would be exactly what the word "offered" means. Does it apply to the terms and conditions to any player under contract or only for unsigned players offered new contracts?

Here's a link to the google search I used:

http://www.google.com/search?q=NBA+CBA+ ... =firefox-a

It's the first result.

Note: The above is from the 2005 CBA. The new CBA isn't online anywhere yet. There have been no reports anywhere about any changes in the collusion rules from the last CBA and I suspect that that would have been reported if there were. It's probably the exact same language.

Return to The General Board