How to define "clutchness"

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Re: How to define "clutchness" 

Post#41 » by BoutPractice » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm

It's true that there are also clutch rebounds, passes, steals, blocks... there's even clutch off-the-ball defense, clutch screens etc. Those aspects are too often overlooked.

Clutch scoring still means a great deal though, because it becomes much harder to score in the final minutes of meaningful games.
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#42 » by ldnk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 pm

To me, clutch is meaningless unless a guy is playing equally well the rest of the game. If you miss 20 shots early in the game and then hit 2 in the final 2 minutes, how does that make you clutch? If you hit 3 of those shots earlier in the game, you aren't trailing/protecting a tiny lead in the first place.

I think clutch is such an arbitrary thing, because it's not just the final minutes of a game that can be the deciding moments. A guy can hit a big three to stop a big charge by the opposition, and that 3-pointer is the most important shot of the game, but it's not going to be treated as clutch, even though the pressure might have been just as high with a team making a huge charge midway through the 4th. How many games do we watch a team blow a 4th quarter lead and go on to lose by 10 because they just can't handle the pressure of a big 4th quarter comeback. Why is that shot that stops a big run, not valued?

But on the flip-side, people put far too much emphasis on simply scoring late in games. I think there are probably a lot of guys who would be clutch scorers, but just won't get the ball late in games because they aren't the #1 option. Far too often, big rebounds/box outs/blocks/assists/defensive smotherings get ignored in terms of being big late-game plays.
Jan_Sobieski
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#43 » by Jan_Sobieski » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm

It is a person who has a balanced game the whole way through and happens to win it at the buzzer / Thread
s_g_b
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#44 » by s_g_b » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:45 pm

IMO its do things that you usually cant/you dont use to.

For example, former Grizzlie Navarro had 2 off rebs and 2 steals in 16 games, and all lead to wins in the last minute
ComeAtMeBro
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#45 » by ComeAtMeBro » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:52 pm

ldnk wrote:To me, clutch is meaningless unless a guy is playing equally well the rest of the game. If you miss 20 shots early in the game and then hit 2 in the final 2 minutes, how does that make you clutch? If you hit 3 of those shots earlier in the game, you aren't trailing/protecting a tiny lead in the first place.

By this notion, take out Robert Horry and Derek Fisher?
Irony
Step 1: Hate the Lakers
Step 2: Watch LeBron go to Miami
Step 3: Call Heat fans, "bandwagoners"
Step 4: Root for Lakers, Hate the Heat
Step 5: Refused to be classified as Laker "bandwagoner" since Heat formed.
s_g_b
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#46 » by s_g_b » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:04 pm

ComeAtMeBro wrote:
ldnk wrote:To me, clutch is meaningless unless a guy is playing equally well the rest of the game. If you miss 20 shots early in the game and then hit 2 in the final 2 minutes, how does that make you clutch? If you hit 3 of those shots earlier in the game, you aren't trailing/protecting a tiny lead in the first place.

By this notion, take out Robert Horry and Derek Fisher?

they dont miss 20 shots

call bryant clutch for going 6/24 in game seven is unfair
devv83
Sixth Man
And1: 108

Post#47 » by devv83 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:06 pm

Flash3 wrote:Stats are one thing. If I want a game winning shot/play or anything clutch, I am going with a Kobe, Wade, LeBron because they've done it time and time again.

How could you leave out Dirk, Melo, Pierce??
Chosen01
RealGM
And1: 534

Post#48 » by Chosen01 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:08 pm

devv83 wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Stats are one thing. If I want a game winning shot/play or anything clutch, I am going with a Kobe, Wade, LeBron because they've done it time and time again.

How could you leave out Dirk, Melo, Pierce??

Yea, you gotta add these 3.

Return to The General Board