Deron Williams not convinced of "big" markets?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

SubyWill
Analyst
And1: 3

Deron Williams not convinced of "big" markets? 

Post#1 » by SubyWill » Mon Jan 2, 2012 8:59 am

“I’m sure I could make a couple more hundreds of thousands or something like that a year (on endorsements), or maybe a $1 million per year,” said the 27-year-old, who is married with four children. “But you could go somewhere in Florida or Texas and you’re not losing 8% state tax, plus you don’t have a city tax, plus the cost of living isn’t two times higher than anywhere else.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... e-1.999560

He mentions Texas and Florida, Texas because he's obviously interested in the Mavs....but why Florida? The Heat are obviously out of the question, so is he thinking about the Magic? I wonder what Dwight and Deron talked over dinner the night before the Nets played the Magic.

He's obviously in a terrible situation in New Jersey, Avery Johnson is a terrible coach, and the Nets will be lucky to win 8 games this season. Does he really want to waste his prime for a re-building team? He apparently wants to win soon, I doubt he wants to stay up there. Will we be seeing Deron Williams try to force his way to the Mavericks or Magic?

Thoughts?
Indy2thaWindy
Banned User
And1: 16

Re: Deron Williams not convinced of "big" markets? 

Post#2 » by Indy2thaWindy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:02 am

He's obviously going to be a Pacer.
jordanisbetter
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#3 » by jordanisbetter » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:04 am

Doesn't dallas have some of the highest property taxes in the Country?

Something like 30k a year on a 700k house...
B-easy
Starter
And1: 603

Post#4 » by B-easy » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:04 am

Don't look too much into that statement.
JocularMango
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#5 » by JocularMango » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:10 am

I don't think him mentioning Texas/Florida has anything do with the teams. He was mentioning states that don't have an income tax as opposed to bigger markets like LA (California) that have a significantly larger income tax.

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Are the states without income tax (at least that's what Google tells me). The only states on that list that have NBA teams are Florida and Texas (sorry Supersonics =/).
SubyWill
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#6 » by SubyWill » Mon Jan 2, 2012 9:52 am

JocularMango wrote:I don't think him mentioning Texas/Florida has anything do with the teams. He was mentioning states that don't have an income tax as opposed to bigger markets like LA (California) that have a significantly larger income tax.

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Are the states without income tax (at least that's what Google tells me). The only states on that list that have NBA teams are Florida and Texas (sorry Supersonics =/).

I think it has a lot to do with the teams actually, especially in Deron's situation.
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#7 » by Wavy Q » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:07 am

Why do you think this means anything to his preferred teams? He named the States that have the lowest income tax and actually have basketball teams.

I think you're reading too much into him arbitrarily naming states.
Palmeirense
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#8 » by Palmeirense » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:11 am

Jay From LA wrote:Why do you think this means anything to his preferred teams? He named the States that have the lowest income tax and actually have basketball teams.

I think you're reading too much into him arbitrarily naming states.

Hey, it's subwill, guy can make any assumptions he wants, but if anyone even remotely hints that Dwight may leave Orlando dude flips.

Whatever, as a Nets fan i'm concerned that Deron might leave the team based on the rotations Avery is choosing out there, the fact that he is playing of the ball while scrubs like Sundiata Gaines are running the team, and the fact that Lopez isn't playing, which means we'll lose a **** load of games, but i bet that he doesn't go to the Magic.

Props to Jeff1624 for the sig
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#9 » by SmoothKobra » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:12 am

SubyWill wrote:
JocularMango wrote:I don't think him mentioning Texas/Florida has anything do with the teams. He was mentioning states that don't have an income tax as opposed to bigger markets like LA (California) that have a significantly larger income tax.

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

I think it has a lot to do with the teams actually, especially in Deron's situation.

He's not coming to Orlando. You guys have no assets to get an all-star outside of Dwight, who is getting traded or leaving through free agency.
RunSunRun
Veteran
And1: 722

Post#10 » by RunSunRun » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:17 am

I think he was just equating cost of big city living would offset the financial gains of the potential additional endorsements he would get, not so much making it known where he wants to go play or anything.

I.E. its basically his agent and financial advisor talking to him and letting him know that he won't be losing "much" money if he does want to play in a different market, keeping his options open.
sefant77
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#11 » by sefant77 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:18 am

He mentions Texas because he is from Dallas and has a house there....
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#12 » by erudite23 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:27 am

He is coming back to Utah. Jazz have the $$$ under the cap to sign him outright, he loves the city and the area, and with him on the team and two lottery picks coming in the 2012 draft, they will be stacked at every position.

Book it.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#13 » by LOUiS-D » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:33 am

I would gladly accept Deron being traded to Orlando just to catch a glimpse of the expression of ecstasy on SubyWill's face. That would make me smile.
Ronito
Lead Assistant
And1: 101

Post#14 » by Ronito » Mon Jan 2, 2012 10:38 am

He mentions Florida along with Texas because they are two states without any state income tax.

He's right, though. He isn't LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, or even ... Dwight Howard from a marketing stand point.

I wonder if Dwight thinks marketing/endorsements don't mean much.

"We don't want to talk about other teams' players but obviously there are situations out there that you know that you have to look at," VP of Basketball Operations John Paxson said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN radio WMVP-AM 1000 Wednesday. "The other part of it is you hope those types of players want to come here. Sometimes, at least what you hear from agents, it doesn't have anything to do with basketball. It has more to do with marketing and whatnot. Those are the things you don't have under control when an agent gets involved and doesn't even want to talk to you. All you do is keep trying, and we certainly will."
baseline33
Banned User

Post#15 » by baseline33 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:02 am

SubyWill wrote:
“I’m sure I could make a couple more hundreds of thousands or something like that a year (on endorsements), or maybe a $1 million per year,” said the 27-year-old, who is married with four children. “But you could go somewhere in Florida or Texas and you’re not losing 8% state tax, plus you don’t have a city tax, plus the cost of living isn’t two times higher than anywhere else.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... e-1.999560

He mentions Texas and Florida, Texas because he's obviously interested in the Mavs....but why Florida? The Heat are obviously out of the question, so is he thinking about the Magic? I wonder what Dwight and Deron talked over dinner the night before the Nets played the Magic.

He's obviously in a terrible situation in New Jersey, Avery Johnson is a terrible coach, and the Nets will be lucky to win 8 games this season. Does he really want to waste his prime for a re-building team? He apparently wants to win soon, I doubt he wants to stay up there. Will we be seeing Deron Williams try to force his way to the Mavericks or Magic?

Thoughts?

Hahahaha, he is not going to the Magic or Heat...... how about just giving it up to Deron for knowing that Florida and Texas has the two lowest state tax.

in regards to the whole state tax thing, it has logic, but it has no real foot hold in the real world..... case in point.... the Yankees and Red Sox :lol:
yaaar
Rookie
And1: 117

Post#16 » by yaaar » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:03 am

I hope Deron knows that the tax thing only affects home games.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#17 » by MitchellUK » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:25 am

As much as I would love to read something into that, I am pretty sure he was just using those two states as examples.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#18 » by NickAnderson » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:34 am

If Dwight said this it would be the other way around. "OMGZ he's going to the Mavs"
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#19 » by SolidSnake008 » Mon Jan 2, 2012 11:45 am

NickAnderson wrote:If Dwight said this it would be the other way around. "OMGZ he's going to the Mavs"

It's funny isn't it? People tend to quickly shoot this possibility down but if the shoe was on the other foot it would have like 5 threads.....it is what it is i guess
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 334

Post#20 » by WeAreVenom » Mon Jan 2, 2012 12:28 pm

NickAnderson wrote:If Dwight said this it would be the other way around. "OMGZ he's going to the Mavs"

Return to The General Board