Are the Celtics still good enough to win the title?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

World Peace
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Are the Celtics still good enough to win the title? 

Post#21 » by World Peace » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:22 am

Don't see it unless they can acquire a legit center. A washed up JO won't cut it.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#22 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:23 am

If they can avoid Miami, I think so. The Bulls would obviously be the other team that gives them trouble in a series, but the Bulls are like that wild card team where you could say they're good enough to beat anyone but they're also so Rose dependent that they could lose a game or two and lose a series they shouldn't.

Out West, you have like nine teams that can get hot and healthy at the right time and make a run and win the West and Boston can match up with them individually (though LA, Memphis and LAC size wouldn't be a great matchup for them).
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,147

Post#23 » by PierceFan4ever » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:33 am

ROYcandidate wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:I wouldn't count them out. Who thought Boston would be in the finals in 2010?

I did not know a single person who would have said the 2010 Celtics were not contenders.

Now their core is two years older, role player talent level hasn't increased and fiercer competition in the east.

Are you serious? Before the playoffs started,celtics were 26-26 to end the season, almost everyone at that point thought the Hawks would have a better chance at competing for a title, Boston was blowing major leads in the regular season, and everyone thought the Cavs would beat them and never really gave Boston a chance besides a couple of Celtics fans.

Sure they are 2 years older but both Pierce and Allen are playing just as good as they were 3 years ago, if not better. Only Garnett right now looks a bit worse and even then he was playing with 1 leg. The competition in the East is obviously stronger now but again I wouldn't count them out unless one of the big4 gets injured like Rondo with his dislocated elbow last year blew whatever chances we had. I actually think the Miami series wasn't dominant as people think. They may have destroyed Boston in the first 2 games and Wade embarrassing Garnett and Allen made them look really old but I think after that Boston had a really good chance to make the series competitive. Boston blew them out in game 3 at the same time Rondo got injured. Game 4 Lebron made a clutch 3 with the shot clock going down which eventually lead the game to overtime which Miami won. Game 5 Boston was winning through the whole game until the final 4 minutes in which Lebron and the Heat killed the Celtics. I think having Rondo healthy would have changed the series and the Celts bench outside of West brought nothing, with Bass, I think he can be a big impact off the bench in a series like this. Not saying Celtics have a good shot but they have a chance if only the big 4 are healthy.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#24 » by KGboss » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:34 am

ROYcandidate wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:I wouldn't count them out. Who thought Boston would be in the finals in 2010?

I did not know a single person who would have said the 2010 Celtics were not contenders.

Now their core is two years older, role player talent level hasn't increased and fiercer competition in the east.

You need to re look at the Boston bench man. Best role players the team has had since 2008 when they won the title. They even got a new white mamba in Stiemsma.
ROYcandidate
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by ROYcandidate » Fri Jan 6, 2012 3:45 am

OscarMayer wrote:
ROYcandidate wrote:

After the regular season, i did not know a single person who would have said they reach the finals. Everybody was expecting a Lebron-Kobe finals. Dont tell us BS.

Saying a team is a contender and saying they ARE going to the finals are the not the same thing.

You will find it easier to have conversations if you don't twist words and make vulgar remarks directed at others.

Return to The General Board