Flex Offense

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Flex Offense 

Post#1 » by Ettorefm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:37 am

I've been studying offenses in the past months to teach youngsters and apply in my saturday morning team :D and I've come across the flex offense - the simple variations and the basic motion of the flex offense
For the most knowledged in coaching and tactics...what do you think? Is it too predictable, even with some counters? Do you think they can be used in pick up games? What is its weaknesses?
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Re: Flex Offense 

Post#2 » by Bertrob » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:00 am

if you're coaching high schoolers the flex is fine
A necessity for the flex i always thought was high IQ big men
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Ettorefm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:04 am

How so?
Because pick up players and high schoolers aren't always as developed as they could (It's not like i'll coach top prospects, they're about the same height), I guess it's easier, cause every player has to be able to hit the elbow jumper or the quick layup or post shot near the hoop.
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#4 » by pross » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:06 am

It's a great offense. It makes them cut, has on ball screens, puts emphasis on ball movement, however if you have a gun wing or big you can easily isolate them. I've played with and coached the flex and I highly recommend it.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Ettorefm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:13 am

pross, as you're experienced on the flex offense, can you give me some examples of variations for the flex to include iso-focused posessions and some high pick'n'rolls?
I've been having a lot of trouble mixing them up. I just run the basic flex together with some options from the corners and a pick'n'pop play i've developed. Do you have any tips? Either the high schoolers I'll be coaching this semester and my friends who play with me every weekend have almost the same level and height but a guy in each team that is just good as hell in driving to the lane.
The flex problem so far has been this : ball movement, great elbow jumpers and nice layups near the basket, but low usage of the best player, a derrick rose kinda guy that is 6'2 (consider I play pick up games with regular people, not college ballers) and can't be stopped when driving to the lane. Can you give me some ideas? The flex is too stiff and slow
chensheng51
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by chensheng51 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:35 am

Ettorefm wrote:I've been studying offenses in the past months to teach youngsters and apply in my saturday morning team :D and I've come across the flex offense - the simple variations and the basic motion of the flex offense
For the most knowledged in coaching and tactics...what do you think? Is it too predictable, even with some counters? Do you think they can be used in pick up games? What is its weaknesses?

He is the sports of shameImage
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#7 » by mattg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:59 am

Ettorefm wrote:pross, as you're experienced on the flex offense, can you give me some examples of variations for the flex to include iso-focused posessions and some high pick'n'rolls?
I've been having a lot of trouble mixing them up. I just run the basic flex together with some options from the corners and a pick'n'pop play i've developed. Do you have any tips? Either the high schoolers I'll be coaching this semester and my friends who play with me every weekend have almost the same level and height but a guy in each team that is just good as hell in driving to the lane.
The flex problem so far has been this : ball movement, great elbow jumpers and nice layups near the basket, but low usage of the best player, a derrick rose kinda guy that is 6'2 (consider I play pick up games with regular people, not college ballers) and can't be stopped when driving to the lane. Can you give me some ideas? The flex is too stiff and slow

If you're trying to get more touches for your rose esque teammate of suggest some dribble handoff action. There's a lot of stuff you could do. Bring your big guy out top and use him as a pseudo ball screen that your guy can take the dribble handoff from. Have the guard work off some screens baseline or work off a stagger or zipper to get open on the wing. He can also just take the handoff of a ball reversal. It works like a ball screen except its harder to help on defensively.

Catch a spurs game this year and watch how they use tony Parker.
Ettorefm
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Ettorefm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:07 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuHRwhuVjY4
Like this?
Maybe an early pass so the bigman can actually screen the running guy. I liked it. I'll try to use it in the side of the flex there's just 2 guys, so the guard can have more space
Do you think it's a good idea?
I see Noah do this with Rose a lot. He comes out a baseline offscreen and just gets by Noah with the ball (once in Noah's hand) and Noah stops Rose's matchup
I think I'll emulate this play
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqjj4-jB09o[/youtube]

Return to The General Board