Can somone please explaine me the Love hype?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

meni
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1 » by meni » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

I watched some Minnesota games this year to watch Rubio play. And one thing I don't get is all this Kevin Love love. I see a good player and an exceptional rebounder but he is definitley not one of the best players there are, let alone the best PF in the game. He isn't a good defender, he has no force on his offensive game nor a real good post game... He is a good player but not a franchise player. No knock on him but what is the hype all about? I'd take Bosh, Dirk, Blake, Amare, Aldridge over him ten out of ten times. He seems to be one of the empty stat guys. Do I see it wrong or is there someone out there who thinks the same?
TheUroborosWorm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Re: Can somone please explaine me the Love hype? 

Post#2 » by TheUroborosWorm » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 pm

He's white so he sux, and don't let Rubio skin fool you, he's black at heart.
allweneedisLOVE
Banned User
And1: 26

Post#3 » by allweneedisLOVE » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, he averages 26 points a game on 18 shots. He grabs 14 rebounds a game and gets to the line just about 10 times. He's a good passer, and his defense has improved since his recent weight loss. Last year, he shot 47/42/85 from the field and has made significant improvements in each and every season so far.

But he is white, so he sucks!
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#4 » by sisibilio » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:52 pm

meni wrote:He isn't a good defender, he has no force on his offensive game nor a real good post game... He is a good player but not a franchise player. No knock on him but what is the hype all about?

If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#5 » by King d » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

What does race have to do with this?

He is white so he sucks? lmao, that white guy left Aldridge without a well deserved allstar last year. So maybe Aldridge is the one who sucks because he is black?
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#6 » by john2jer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

meni wrote:I watched some Minnesota games this year to watch Rubio play. And one thing I don't get is all this Kevin Love love. I see a good player and an exceptional rebounder but he is definitley not one of the best players there are, let alone the best PF in the game. He isn't a good defender, he has no force on his offensive game nor a real good post game... He is a good player but not a franchise player. No knock on him but what is the hype all about? I'd take Bosh, Dirk, Blake, Amare, Aldridge over him ten out of ten times. He seems to be one of the empty stat guys. Do I see it wrong or is there someone out there who thinks the same?

Exceptional rebounder who gets to the free throw line, makes free throws, good three point shooter, scores 25+ points/game, doesn't need plays run for him, passes the ball well, has a developing low post game, plays solid man defense, and is willing to work his tail off? He's not the kind of guy you have to build a team around, he's the kind of guy that can fit on most squads without having to adjust.

I wouldn't consider Amare, Bosh, Aldridge, or really even Blake franchise guys either. When I think franshice guys, I think 1st option near superstar types. I would take Love over all 4 of them. Dirk is the best PF in the game, Love is just having the best start to the season.

Ideally the Wolves consolidate assets to find a 1st or 2nd option SG type that fits well with Love/Rubio.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
TRG
Head Coach
And1: 866

Post#7 » by TRG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

If he was on a contending team instead of the Wolves you'd be singing a completely different tune.
Master Shake
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Master Shake » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Race has a lot to do with basketball. I can't tell you how many times the white guys I play with get laughed at because were white... then we are all laughing our ass after we play the consummate team game, knock down jumpers, and win.

Just because your white, you immediately are perceived to suck, when in reality, you probably have an incredibly high basketball iq, play a team game, and play the fundamentals that are conducive to winning basketball.
whatchaknow wrote: I would rather have Batum than Monroe...

Well, at least we aren't Cleveland... seriously... Indians, Cavs, Browns... ouch.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#9 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:58 pm

Cliff Levingston sort of understands the OP if you're looking for someone to run the offense through. That's not Love. You don't simply give him the ball and let him go at it. He's a complementary offensive player who scores well on high efficiency in that role, while also pulling down millions of rebounds (which is very important).

So, if you're looking for a guy to carry the team, yea, you're right, he won't do that. If you're looking for a great #2 to play off your primary creator/offensive player, then you could do so much worse than Love. For example, he would be an absolutely dreamy fit with the Bulls at the 4 playing off Rose.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#10 » by funkatron101 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:01 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Cliff Levingston sort of understands the OP if you're looking for someone to run the offense through. That's not Love. You don't simply give him the ball and let him go at it. He's a complementary offensive player who scores well on high efficiency in that role, while also pulling down millions of rebounds (which is very important).

So, if you're looking for a guy to carry the team, yea, you're right, he won't do that. If you're looking for a great #2 to play off your primary creator/offensive player, then you could do so much worse than Love. For example, he would be an absolutely dreamy fit with the Bulls at the 4 playing off Rose.

Most Wolves fans agree...well except for the idea of Love playing for the Bulls.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#11 » by C.lupus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Good assessment by Cliff Levingston. Love isn't a #1/creator/closer type player. That doesn't mean he isn't one of the top PFs in the league, though. There is nobody else in the NBA that can grab rebounds, stretch the defense, shoot the three, and draw fouls the way Love does.

To RealGMers Love = stat padder

To real GMs Love = 3rd best PF in the league
http://www.nba.com/news/features/2012-g ... index.html
FireRicBucher
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#12 » by FireRicBucher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Were you tutored by Derrick Rose?
he has no force on his offensive game nor a real good post game

And yet he still scores more points and gets to the line more than any other power forward in the NBA.

And you'd take Kiaboy over Love?
Kevin Love does everything better than Blake Griffin besides dunking and flopping. EVERYTHING.
The MVPlaya
Starter
And1: 33

Post#13 » by The MVPlaya » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

I agree with you. You can't be the best at your position if I can't throw that rock to you in the 4th and tell you to go get me buckets or create buckets for someone else. He's not a franchise player, he's not a #1 guy. With that said, I would take him easily over Bosh and Amar'e.
Agenda42
General Manager
And1: 461

Post#14 » by Agenda42 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Love gets hype because he pulls down big stats. He's like the best role-player ever -- he makes open shots from anywhere on the floor, he grabs a billion rebounds, and he doesn't make many mistakes with the ball. What he isn't is a guy who can carry your offense or shut down an opponent on defense.

Add me to the list of people who would prefer Love over Amare or Bosh.

Master Shake wrote:Race has a lot to do with basketball. I can't tell you how many times the white guys I play with get laughed at because were white... then we are all laughing our ass after we play the consummate team game, knock down jumpers, and win.

Just because your white, you immediately are perceived to suck, when in reality, you probably have an incredibly high basketball iq, play a team game, and play the fundamentals that are conducive to winning basketball.

This is stereotypically excellent. :lol:
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Post#15 » by Pattycakes » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:08 pm

King d wrote:maybe Aldridge is the one who sucks because he is black?

RACIST
FireRicBucher
Banned User

Post#16 » by FireRicBucher » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:13 pm

The MVPlaya wrote:I agree with you. You can't be the best at your position if I can't throw that rock to you in the 4th and tell you to go get me buckets or create buckets for someone else. He's not a franchise player, he's not a #1 guy. With that said, I would take him easily over Bosh and Amar'e.

You could say the same thing about Shaquille O'Neal and Dwight Howard.
Thugonomics
Junior

Post#17 » by Thugonomics » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

meni wrote:I watched some Minnesota games this year to watch Rubio play. And one thing I don't get is all this Kevin Love love. I see a good player and an exceptional rebounder but he is definitley not one of the best players there are, let alone the best PF in the game. He isn't a good defender, he has no force on his offensive game nor a real good post game... He is a good player but not a franchise player. No knock on him but what is the hype all about? I'd take Bosh, Dirk, Blake, Amare, Aldridge over him ten out of ten times. He seems to be one of the empty stat guys. Do I see it wrong or is there someone out there who thinks the same?

that's exactly what he is
BadMojo
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by BadMojo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:17 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:Cliff Levingston sort of understands the OP if you're looking for someone to run the offense through. That's not Love. You don't simply give him the ball and let him go at it. He's a complementary offensive player who scores well on high efficiency in that role, while also pulling down millions of rebounds (which is very important).

Playing on the Bulls the offense would be almost as deadly as the defense since no one is worse than Boozer defensively and the Bulls are still great on that end. With his range, the Bulls would destroy all comers. He is the near perfect secondary scorer for a team like the Bulls and other teams I'm sure. He's just not a top option, give it to him and let him get the points type of guy but he doesn't have to be and few people say that he is.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,316

Post#19 » by og15 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Master Shake wrote:Race has a lot to do with basketball. I can't tell you how many times the white guys I play with get laughed at because were white... then we are all laughing our ass after we play the consummate team game, knock down jumpers, and win.

...and herein lies the opposite problem. White guys are assumed to have good fundamentals and be ultimate team guys when there are a lot of ball hogging, bad team playing, poor fundamental , low IQ white guys. Black guys are then also assumed to be poor team players and and 1 move copying guys that don't know how to play as a team and have low basketball IQ.

While you make a good point, you totally ruin it by saying that by being white, you "probably" have these attributes. No, you and your specific white friends do.
C-izMe
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#20 » by C-izMe » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 pm

C.lupus wrote:Good assessment by Cliff Levingston. Love isn't a #1/creator/closer type player. That doesn't mean he isn't one of the top PFs in the league, though. There is nobody else in the NBA that can grab rebounds, stretch the defense, shoot the three, and draw fouls the way Love does.

To RealGMers Love = stat padder

To real GMs Love = 3rd best PF in the league
http://www.nba.com/news/features/2012-g ... index.html

Perfect

Return to The General Board