Referee Fail. NBA CHANGE UR DAMN RULES

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BJ43
Banned User
And1: 33

Re: Referee Fail. NBA CHANGE UR DAMN RULES 

Post#61 » by BJ43 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:51 pm

The_ref wrote:So why not review every call? Refs are going to be looking at the first call of the game with the same as the last call so why not have every call reviewed?

Because the refs review the calls they made at halftime don't they? And then you get the make up calls...so you hope that in the first 46 mins both teams get screwed equally so it balances out. If the games close in the last 2 mins and they have to review a call or 2....big deal, so it takes a total of a few more mins....at least the right call is made

Anyway calls ARE reviewed throughout the game anyway....someone shoots a 3 and they aren't sure if foot was on the line, it's reviewed and the score if adjusted accordingly if necessary. The difference being in that example, there's no need to stop play because the basket went in regardless and it's just a matter of determining the value of that basket...but I don't get why they can't have a video ref who simply watches the replay and communicates to the refs on the court to let them know, 90% of the time the game has been stopped anyway and you have one or both sides complaining/arguing their case...in that time the video ref quickly reviews the call and lets the on court ref know his ruling...the refs don't need to walk over to the scorers table and make a big deal out of it
TheExpert91
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#62 » by TheExpert91 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:51 pm

Reviwing calls is a must. As a fan, how would you feel if you got the wrong call, and then lost the game to the top team in the conferenec??..C'mon man that was an obvious goaltend.
droponov
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#63 » by droponov » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:57 pm

^That would be an even bigger mess. What kind of calls would they be able to challenge? All of them? Let's say the referees didn't call a goaltend in this play and Scott Brooks thought it was and wanted to challenge it. How would it go? Would they stop the game? Would they let the game go on and then review the play at the next stop? What if it only stops after 2 minutes and 7 or 8 possessions? You go back in time and erase whatever happened during that moment? Because of a freaking call? That may be a 50/50 call even after the review?

People have to think and stop obsessing with officiating. Referees are going to make mistakes - sometimes even after reviewing the play because some situations are that difficult to call - so man up and live with them. This generation of fans is an embarrassment, Stern should stop caving to them and get rid of this nonsense. Yesterday it took almost half a hour to play the last 3 minutes of regulation plus overtime. Pathetic.
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#64 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Tue Feb 7, 2012 2:58 pm

The fact that one of the top talents in the league is unable to finish that with the left hand, which should be the first choice in the give situation, is pure comedy and a contempt against previous greats of the game.
Really goes to show how far the fundamentals have dropped off in today's highligt driven league in every sense.
Thundestruck
Senior
And1: 193

Post#65 » by Thundestruck » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:07 pm

It super slow mo it looks like a bad call. Still don't say game over. The Thunder got the board and still would have the ball with 6 seconds left.
BlazerBeav
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#66 » by BlazerBeav » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:14 pm

Thundestruck wrote:It super slow mo it looks like a bad call. Still don't say game over. The Thunder got the board and still would have the ball with 6 seconds left.

Looks like? GTFO with that, Thunder fan. The NBA allowed your annointed team to steal another game, enjoy it in silence.
Thundestruck
Senior
And1: 193

Post#67 » by Thundestruck » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:18 pm

BlazerBeav wrote:
Thundestruck wrote:It super slow mo it looks like a bad call. Still don't say game over. The Thunder got the board and still would have the ball with 6 seconds left.

Looks like? GTFO with that, Thunder fan. The NBA allowed your annointed team to steal another game, enjoy it in silence.

It was a bad call. It sucks. Still don't say game over. Thunder would have gotten the rebound.

If I was the Blazers I would be a little concerned the Thunder, a team who can't rebound, owned them on the glass when it matters.

Bad call? Yes. Game over? No.
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#68 » by funkatron101 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:25 pm

How about having a similar system as the NFL? Coaches have a limited number of reviews at their disposal. If they get the call wrong, they lose a timeout or something.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Post#69 » by Pattycakes » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:32 pm

You think if it was the Heat or Clippers getting that goaltend they wouldnt have reviewed it? Thats what i hate. I watched a Clippers game a few weeks ago they reviewed every damn play in the fourth quarter.
droponov
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#70 » by droponov » Tue Feb 7, 2012 3:47 pm

Pattycakes wrote:You think if it was the Heat or Clippers getting that goaltend they wouldnt have reviewed it? Thats what i hate. I watched a Clippers game a few weeks ago they reviewed every damn play in the fourth quarter.

The NBA rules don't allow plays like this goaltend to be reviewed. And it's basically impossible to do it, as I explained above. So, stop with those fantasies/lies.

It's still bad enough as it is though.

Get rid of all the reviews except the last second shots shot-clock and those they can make at the next time out, like checking if the shooter was stepping on the 3pt line or not.
BJ43
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#71 » by BJ43 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:01 pm

How is it impossible to do it in this instance? The game was stopped, it's anything but impossible

NOW if the whistle hadn't blown to stop the game, and it was just a coach on the sidelines screaming that there should have been a goaltend called and there wasn't and there's no stop in play, then yes, in that instance it becomes difficult for the ref to just stop the game and break the momentum of what was about to happen HOWEVER in this case the game was stopped anyway...so why not have a quick look?

The crowd was able to see the replay pretty quickly and play hadn't reviewed. The Thunder had clearly secured the rebound anyway, so goaltend overruled, Thunder still down by 2 with the ball on the side with whatever time was left when the whistle blew which I think was something like 6 seconds, fair for both sides...and easy...not impossible at all..let's not make this harder than it is
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#72 » by Downtown » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm not going to apologize for last night. Besides the Alderidge block they missed a few other calls that went against Portland.

But one thing that struck me watching the Knicks/Jazz game was when they said Dick Bavetta has been officiating in the NBA for 37 years. For some reason the first thought that went into my head was how many times he must have made wrong calls.

I'm sure just about everyone who has posted on realgm has played basketball at one time or another. We know that officials aren't going to get every call correct,in any sport for that matter. You judge the officials competence by the percentage they get right.

It wasn't that long ago that they didn't review any plays. At least they are attemtping to shore up the percentage of human error. But as mentioned, do we really want to have games dragging on forever with a review of every decision that's made?

You just acknowledge it was a bad call, get over it, and say no more. These things tend to balance out over the course of a season. I also have to think that the league has a policy of reviewing their officials and keep tabs on how well they do their job.
singal3
Veteran
And1: 258

Post#73 » by singal3 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:13 pm

Downtown wrote:I'm not going to apologize for last night. Besides the Alderidge block they missed a few other calls that went against Portland.

But one thing that struck me watching the Knicks/Jazz game was when they said Dick Bavetta has been officiating in the NBA for 37 years. For some reason the first thought that went into my head was how many times he must have made wrong calls.

I'm sure just about everyone who has posted on realgm has played basketball at one time or another. We know that officials aren't going to get every call correct,in any sport for that matter. You judge the officials competence by the percentage they get right.

It wasn't that long ago that they didn't review any plays. At least they are attemtping to shore up the percentage of human error. But as mentioned, do we really want to have games dragging on forever with a review of every decision that's made?

You just acknowledge it was a bad call, get over it, and say no more. These things tend to balance out over the course of a season. I also have to think that the league has a policy of reviewing their officials and keep tabs on how well they do their job.

I agree, I can deal with bad calls when unintentional. However,Scott Foster is a crooked ref and you can't give him the benefit of the doubt.
Winglish wrote:Death once had a near Doug experience.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#74 » by Brenice » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:19 pm

singal3 wrote: I agree, I can deal with bad calls when unintentional. However,Scott Foster is a crooked ref and you can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

I agree and this is what gets bunched in with 'missed' calls. We all know calls can be missed. That is not the problem. But when players have to 'earn the respect' of referees, 'superstar' calls, they have a word for that. 'CHEATING'.
advanced
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#75 » by advanced » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:20 pm

all this whining from a team that got away with a basket with six players on the court? get over it, it happens to every team
The_ref
Senior
And1: 342

Post#76 » by The_ref » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:31 pm

Americans.. trying to make every sport in to a videogame. Even ultra-conservative FIFA seems like Shangri La compared to what you´re turning basketball in to.
singal3
Veteran

Post#77 » by singal3 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:33 pm

The_ref wrote:Americans.. trying to make every sport in to a videogame. Even ultra-conservative FIFA seems like Shangri La compared to what you´re turning basketball in to.

We speak English in the USA.
The_ref
Senior
And1: 342

Post#78 » by The_ref » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:37 pm

"English" or "english"?
singal3
Veteran

Post#79 » by singal3 » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:38 pm

The_ref wrote:"English" or "english"?

english
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,580

Post#80 » by dice » Tue Feb 7, 2012 5:13 pm

singal3 wrote:Scott Foster is a crooked ref and you can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

the nba is not gonna knowingly allow a crooked ref to be out there. c'mon. makes no sense
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to The General Board